of 60

2014-09-02 3:11 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: NewTAN's Third Law of Motion

Re: wedding

The destination weddings I have been to, I was told very clearly up front that I was responsible for my air fare, lodging, transportation, food, etc. A simple email right after the invitation was sent was upfront about how they really wanted everyone to come, but understood if finances wouldn't allow for it, etc. This email between girlfriends also started the conversation of who could bunk up together in hotel rooms and share cabs, etc. 

That said, once I got to those venues, the couples had some nice touches like a welcome bag in my hotel room (with maps, schedules, some candy, bottled water, restaurant suggestions, etc.) and one had a coordinated event (a sunset sail! really nice and not expected at all) for everyone NOT in the rehearsal, while the rehearsal was going on and we were waiting on them for the dinner. 

I agree if they can't afford it, they shouldn't come (unfortunately). How close is the date? Can you send a mass note to everyone outlining that they are responsible for their own? 

2014-09-02 3:25 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I think the "paying for guests to come" is an old tradition that honestly, has gone to the wayside except for older people and/or traditionalists.  Same for the "brides family pays for everything".  It's too much money for one family to take the whole burden (in most cases).

We didn't pay for anyone to come to Vegas, nor would I unless it's immediate family I NEEDED her and they can't afford it.

BUT, I made two "concessions".  I wasn't going to be upset if anyone couldn't make it due to finances as long as you say so before the RSVP date.  I also said (though not officially - just let our parents spread the word) if you are shelling out money to come to Vegas, then we considered that a gift to us.  Your presence was your gift.  We didn't expect gifts anyway - but even less if they paid to show up.

2014-09-02 3:56 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

my wedding was a "destination" wedding, kind of.  i considered my obligation to point you in the direction of where to stay, how to get around, and what to do while you were here, but not to pay for any of that.  who the heck is even asking for that??  i've never heard of that!

2014-09-02 4:12 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Only destination wedding I have ever been to was one that my wife was In the wedding party, and since she was in the wedding, the bride paid for our hotel room, which was nice.

2014-09-02 4:55 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

My venue is 12 miles from my house so its not a destination wedding its just that many on my guest list do not live here.  They were given 3 hotel choices and I offered to put up the immediate family at my place.  My whole wedding party is staying at the venue and I am covering that but there are only 8 rooms at the venue so I can't put EVERYONE there. 

2014-09-02 6:07 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Random thought of the day: "You can't milk a chicken, but you can egg a cow."

2014-09-03 9:30 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Weddings are really frustrating because they seem to bring the crazy out in everyone.  My mom who is normally cool as cucumber about things got all weird with me when I didn't invite some of her distant relatives.  I was paying, we already had a few people bringing dates and such that i'd never met, excuse me for not wanting people I barely know at my wedding.

The funniest though was to Kido's thing about traditions and how they are going away - as mentioned my hubby and I paid for our wedding and so i asked if my parents might do a low-key rehearsal bbq for us and my mom said 'Well, traditionally, the groom's family pays for the rehearsal,'

And my sister cheekily replied, 'Mom, traditionally, the brides family pays for the wedding!'  

2014-09-03 10:15 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Rando wedding thought. Do you gals (or guys?) ever watch Say Yes to the Dress on TLC? It's one of my guilty pleasure TV shows and I can admit to watching 3 or 4 episodes in a row when they run a marathon . Anywho, one of the things that cracks me up is the brides who have a budget of, say $3,000 for their dress. But they fall in love with an $8,000 dress and buy it anyway. I mean, I'm all about going over a tiddy bit in the budget if you can cut back somewhere else, but more than double just makes me giggle every time. 

Budget. You keep using that word but I don't think you know what it means!

2014-09-03 11:50 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by lisac957

Rando wedding thought. Do you gals (or guys?) ever watch Say Yes to the Dress on TLC? It's one of my guilty pleasure TV shows and I can admit to watching 3 or 4 episodes in a row when they run a marathon . Anywho, one of the things that cracks me up is the brides who have a budget of, say $3,000 for their dress. But they fall in love with an $8,000 dress and buy it anyway. I mean, I'm all about going over a tiddy bit in the budget if you can cut back somewhere else, but more than double just makes me giggle every time. 

Yes I watch it.  Of course.  Its like mind candy.  You can hardly get a dress in there for 3 grand its CRAZY.  Then the girls who have to have TWO dresses and spend like $100,000. INSANE.  They had some girls on and it followed them thru their whole ridiculously expensive weddings.One girl had THREE dresses and they spent like a 1/2million on the wedding.  That is just obscene.  You could build like 50 schools in africa for that!!

2014-09-03 11:52 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by juniperjen

Weddings are really frustrating because they seem to bring the crazy out in everyone.  My mom who is normally cool as cucumber about things got all weird with me when I didn't invite some of her distant relatives.  I was paying, we already had a few people bringing dates and such that i'd never met, excuse me for not wanting people I barely know at my wedding.

The funniest though was to Kido's thing about traditions and how they are going away - as mentioned my hubby and I paid for our wedding and so i asked if my parents might do a low-key rehearsal bbq for us and my mom said 'Well, traditionally, the groom's family pays for the rehearsal,'

And my sister cheekily replied, 'Mom, traditionally, the brides family pays for the wedding!'  

Thats a good one. My mom was all Gee I can't tell somedistantcousin of hers about the wedding because she will want to be invited.  I was like "MOM I have met her like twice in my life she is not invited." 

2014-09-03 12:00 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by Socks

Yes I watch it.  Of course.  Its like mind candy.  You can hardly get a dress in there for 3 grand its CRAZY.  Then the girls who have to have TWO dresses and spend like $100,000. INSANE.  They had some girls on and it followed them thru their whole ridiculously expensive weddings.One girl had THREE dresses and they spent like a 1/2million on the wedding.  That is just obscene.  You could build like 50 schools in africa for that!!

I will watch it on occasion (usually at my mom's house because we don't have cable) but it is insane!  Not just schools in a Africa but how about a long way to their own financial security by putting that money on a down payment on a house or for their retirement ... maybe some people can afford it but that shouldn't be the expectation for most people.  I know it's not glamorous but pays off in dividends later - unlike a wedding.

2014-09-03 12:20 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by juniperjen

Originally posted by Socks

I will watch it on occasion (usually at my mom's house because we don't have cable) but it is insane!  Not just schools in a Africa but how about a long way to their own financial security by putting that money on a down payment on a house or for their retirement ... maybe some people can afford it but that shouldn't be the expectation for most people.  I know it's not glamorous but pays off in dividends later - unlike a wedding.

They spent like $25,000 on CAKE!! CAKE for petes sake??? WTF is wrong with these people? Clearly very wealthy, I think the mother of the groom paid for everything but STILL!!!! I would be embarassed

2014-09-03 12:44 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

nephew #4 is here!  hanging out with nephew #2 and when he wakes up from his nap get to take him to meet his baby brother.  should be interesting....

2014-09-03 12:48 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by mehaner

nephew #4 is here!  hanging out with nephew #2 and when he wakes up from his nap get to take him to meet his baby brother.  should be interesting....

Congratulations! Very exciting for everyone!

2014-09-03 5:53 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Today has been frustrating because there have been too many instances where I'm being taken for granted.  Not taken advantage of, but taken for granted.

I would/will normally do what has been arranged/demanded of me, but why can't people still ASK nicely instead of just assume?

Part of me wants to say "I'm not doing any of those things you expect of me because you never ASKED me if that's what I wanted" and just assumed I would do it.

2014-09-04 7:07 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by Kido

Today has been frustrating because there have been too many instances where I'm being taken for granted.  Not taken advantage of, but taken for granted.

I would/will normally do what has been arranged/demanded of me, but why can't people still ASK nicely instead of just assume?

Part of me wants to say "I'm not doing any of those things you expect of me because you never ASKED me if that's what I wanted" and just assumed I would do it.

didn't you quit that job yet?  you can pull the whole "not my problem" card.

2014-09-04 8:41 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Originally posted by Kido

didn't you quit that job yet?  you can pull the whole "not my problem" card.

Hello, TANnerites.  I just wanted to stop in once and say:
1). Because Kido is too dammmmmm nice, that's why.
2). A little bird was heard saying that a little Gerpan/Japerman turned 40 today.  I sense 40 shots of Makers Mark being attempted whilst wearing a cowboy hat.
3). It's Ironman weekend here in Mooland, which is my favorite time of the year next to Halloween.
4). Miss youses. *swak*

2014-09-04 10:52 AM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hi TAN, i am working on a terrible project - on a terrible teleconference and i need a little venting!

ARGH!!! 

2014-09-05 12:35 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

i do NOT ever want to be a stay at home mom.

that is all.

2014-09-05 1:09 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

I have begun to hate, loathe and despise ComEd.  I have called 3 times since last Friday.  Each time, they promise to call me back.  Nothing.

I was just on hold to speak to a supervisor for 30 minutes.  I couldn't wait any longer and had to hang up to go to a meeting.  I think they do this crap on purpose.

They have a monopoly.  At least as it relates to service and fixing things.  Why should they care if I'm angry.  I can't go anywhere else.  I can't drop them as a provider.  There is no other option.  I'm screwed.

2014-09-05 2:35 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

It has been a long week here. The boss was in town all week and we had to put our dog to sleep on Wed evening. Tough week!

2014-09-06 12:14 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by jford2309

It has been a long week here. The boss was in town all week and we had to put our dog to sleep on Wed evening. Tough week!

so sorry about your puppy  

2014-09-08 9:10 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Thanks, still have a yard time looking in the backyard and not seeing her...

2014-09-08 10:30 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

song stuck in my head of the day:

Cause it's all about that bass, about that bass, no treble!

2014-09-08 11:51 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Thanks, still have a yard time looking in the backyard and not seeing her...

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » NewTAN's Third Law of Motion Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Wii help needed: Want to kill, but get motion sickness

Started by AcesFull
Views: 1647 Posts: 10

2009-01-05 10:42 AM TriRSquared

I'll make a motion...

Started by Sharkie
Views: 2133 Posts: 20

2008-12-11 10:50 AM JoshKaptur

Motion Sickness

Started by soloryder
Views: 1870 Posts: 13

2008-06-20 1:15 PM erin116

Motion Sensors?

Started by steveseer
Views: 2183 Posts: 14

2008-06-03 10:26 PM tech_geezer

can you pass the third grade? Pages: 1 2

Started by gabejd09
Views: 3842 Posts: 33

2004-10-04 2:23 PM Whit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How to regain enough range of motion to swim freestyle after a shoulder injury or surgery

date : May 11, 2009
author : FitWerx
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.
date : May 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?

date : March 6, 2007
author : AMSSM
If one muscle has restrictions it can limit the range of motion on the connecting joint and have a domino effect as that tension and restriction is carried down the chain.
date : July 4, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
While most do not think about the actual vector breakdown involved in the cycling stroke and where the power is applied in detail, when you finally do think about it, things become clearer.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Gareth
Flexibility, muscle imbalances relating to range of motion and how it affects your swimming technique.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
I was able to spend one Saturday morning in the store conducting this interview and I learned a good bit of information about shoes and proper fitting.

date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
To avoid a myriad of injuries (joint pain to your knees, ankles, hips, shin splints, foot pain, bruises), it’s invaluable to find the right running shoes.