Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2014-12-03 4:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: NewTAN's Third Law of Motion

I have decided I want to attempt THIS and THESE plus another half dozen ideas these link directed me to.  The wife is constantly going to showers and birthday.  Maybe I could start a little side business if I got good at it?  Instead of Cake Boss, I could be the Cake Kido?

Another whimsical one.   DOTS

Edited by Kido 2014-12-03 4:59 PM

2014-12-03 5:51 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Elite
Cleveland

mmmmmm..... caaaaaaaa--aaaaaaaaaaaaake.

2014-12-04 9:37 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Kido

I have decided I want to attempt THIS and THESE plus another half dozen ideas these link directed me to.  The wife is constantly going to showers and birthday.  Maybe I could start a little side business if I got good at it?  Instead of Cake Boss, I could be the Cake Kido?

Another whimsical one.   DOTS

A quaint little gluten free bakery opened in my neighborhood last year - they stole my dream business idea!! Ha!
But for a long time I've always said if I won the lottery I would LOVE to open a local gluten free bakery. This place has THE BEST cinnamon rolls - but they also have muffins, doughnuts, breads, brownies, sandwiches for lunch - you name it. I got my mom's birthday cake there and for Thanksgiving I got a pie and some cake balls. Delish. I'm SO GLAD they are doing so well (or so it seems from how busy they always are), and it's awesome that they are in my neighborhood. 

If I did it though, I would add on a killer coffee shop so non-gluten-free folks would still be part of the customer base. 

It makes me happy that gluten free stand alone stores are a thing these days

2014-12-04 1:00 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Doing a little happy dance.  An EVP is leaving my organization!!!!!  Good riddance!

2014-12-04 3:46 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I still have no idea what gluten is.

And it SEEMS, that something made without it, usually, while not tasting bad, does not taste as good.

AND for the record... This could be the worst week ever (well, in a long while)...  3/4 of the office is gone at training and marketing seminars.  Same week I get so much of my own work dumped on me that it would be difficult even under normal conditions.  THEN have to write proposals and cover people's work that are not here.  Don't have any support staff to help, then get sick as a dog.  Oh, and for some reason, discord at casa Kido all at the same time.  Sure could use some home support, but nope.

It figures I would get absolutely slammed with work and deadlines and get emergency work thrown at me the same week we have no staff, home stress, AND I get sick...  Yay.

I'm NOT the kind that typically comes in feeling this yucky.  I'm strung out on cold meds and tired and don't like to risk getting coworkers sick.  But I like the double standards a work place has.  If everything is fine, then "if you are sick, stay home!" is the company line.  Well, that works until a deadline may get missed and/or proposals might not get out, then it's "figure out a way to make it happen" or "you got to do what you got to do".

SO I'm here, and all I want to do is be in bed or curled up in a ball under my desk.

Edited by Kido 2014-12-04 3:54 PM
2014-12-04 4:19 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Kido

I still have no idea what gluten is.

And it SEEMS, that something made without it, usually, while not tasting bad, does not taste as good.

It's a protein found in wheat, barley and rye.
There are a multitude of food items converted to gluten free that taste heavenly. And about the same amount that are not. Just like any substitution you just have to experiment and find out what works and what doesn't... and those who have figured it out are making a lot of money

2014-12-04 5:50 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Elite

Originally posted by crowny2

Doing a little happy dance.  An EVP is leaving my organization!!!!!  Good riddance!

EVP=Executive Vice President?  Usually that takes a heart attack. Much too cushy a job to quit voluntarily.

2014-12-04 6:02 PM
in reply to: #5004399

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Yep that's the title. She has a new boss and they are like oil and water. I think she saw the writing on the wall and left before she was fired.
2014-12-05 11:45 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

guys, i need some advice.  i'm moving and taking a position WITHIN my company but a completely different job, division, etc.  it is a lateral move in my current salary grade, so they are not offering my any type of raise.  now, if i would go to another company i could easily command a salary 5-10% higher.  SO, how do i go about asking for a raise with this offer (i am not at the top of my salary grade so there is room to give me $$$ without promoting me)

GO!

2014-12-05 11:57 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

NOT an HR person but question, are you near the "mid point" of your salary range? I ask because at the companies I've worked for, they like to keep employees around that mid-point or as close as possible. If I have an employee who is way under or way over, they are probably at the wrong level/grade. Just food for thought.

How is the difference in cost of living? Does a lower cost of living make up for the non-change in salary? That could be another driver in their decision to not change your salary.

I know at my current company there is a pretty solid system they have to calculate a salary based on location/cost of living, experience, position level, etc. It spits out a small salary range for that individual candidate and they don't deviate from that at all. 

The other option is to start the position and look around. Get a higher offer and ask your employer to match it. 

Edited by lisac957 2014-12-05 11:57 AM
2014-12-05 12:02 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by lisac957

NOT an HR person but question, are you near the "mid point" of your salary range? I ask because at the companies I've worked for, they like to keep employees around that mid-point or as close as possible. If I have an employee who is way under or way over, they are probably at the wrong level/grade. Just food for thought.

How is the difference in cost of living? Does a lower cost of living make up for the non-change in salary? That could be another driver in their decision to not change your salary.

I know at my current company there is a pretty solid system they have to calculate a salary based on location/cost of living, experience, position level, etc. It spits out a small salary range for that individual candidate and they don't deviate from that at all. 

The other option is to start the position and look around. Get a higher offer and ask your employer to match it. 

cost of living is lower AND there is no state income tax in TX vs a very high state income tax in VA.  so it is a pay raise even at the same salary.  i have no idea how to find out if i'm in the middle of my range or overlapping the next - guess i would have to ask HR?  or maybe my current boss? but i do know that i'm in the highest grade for "salaried high education level worker."  next grade is management/stock options/etc so to get there i need a full blown promotion.  (that was my condition to my boss to get my husband and i to stay here, and he would have done it but he doesn't have that power, ha)

i work for an enormous international company with billions of systems, so i'm sure that we have a strict calculation, but i can't imagine its so strict that they can't squeeze out a couple g's for me :-P  obviously they are going to try to pay me the lowest thing they can get away with.

2014-12-05 5:14 PM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
I also work for an enormous global company with plenty of extra money, but as far as salary goes, there is no negotiating what they offer. One thing to consider is what newly hired people to the company will be offered if they were to accept your position. If you have been with the company for many years, it will likely be lower than what you currently make. This makes negotiating a salary very difficult for your employer. Even though you are taking a job within the same company, the budgets are likely set for different facilities. So right now the new facility you are going to is probably cutting into their budget more by taking you as opposed to hiring a new employee. This is justified by experience and known work ethic, but you are most likely costing them more than they want to spend for this position anyway, plus relocation costs, so negotiating even more money may be difficult.

With all that said, it is always better to ask. Generally a company won't voluntarily increase your salary for a lateral move, but saying yes is always easier than saying no. I recommend making the request in person to your new employer. Worst case, they say no and have to justify their reasons. Just be prepared to justify why you think you deserve more money for doing the same job.

Edited by Bradleykd 2014-12-05 5:15 PM
2014-12-05 6:31 PM
in reply to: Bradleykd

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by Bradleykd I also work for an enormous global company with plenty of extra money, but as far as salary goes, there is no negotiating what they offer. One thing to consider is what newly hired people to the company will be offered if they were to accept your position. If you have been with the company for many years, it will likely be lower than what you currently make.

i don't know that i agree with that.  if i would leave conti and go somewhere else, i will easily be able to make 5 - 10% more.  study after study shows the fastest way to increase your salary is to SWITCH companies, not stay inside creeping along at 3% increases.  sure, someone fresh out of college will make a lot less than me (but would also be hired one or two salary grades lower) but someone from outside with 10 years experience can easily demand higher than what i am getting offered - because they - and conti - know what an experienced engineer is worth.

obviously i need to justify a raise, but salary is one thing you should ALWAYS negotiate.  always!

2014-12-05 7:49 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

This TAN was opened in May. 7 months later it's on page 38.  

2014-12-05 8:47 PM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
Originally posted by mehaner

Originally posted by Bradleykd I also work for an enormous global company with plenty of extra money, but as far as salary goes, there is no negotiating what they offer. One thing to consider is what newly hired people to the company will be offered if they were to accept your position. If you have been with the company for many years, it will likely be lower than what you currently make.

i don't know that i agree with that.  if i would leave conti and go somewhere else, i will easily be able to make 5 - 10% more.  study after study shows the fastest way to increase your salary is to SWITCH companies, not stay inside creeping along at 3% increases.  sure, someone fresh out of college will make a lot less than me (but would also be hired one or two salary grades lower) but someone from outside with 10 years experience can easily demand higher than what i am getting offered - because they - and conti - know what an experienced engineer is worth.

obviously i need to justify a raise, but salary is one thing you should ALWAYS negotiate.  always!

Maybe so. I can only speak for what I see at Toyota Manufacturing, and what is happening here is that they do not hire for experience. There hasn't been an experienced engineer come here for at least 10 years. They run internships, and hire great performing interns. They then let the company's current experience mold the new engineer to what the company wants. It is easier to train an inexperienced person to what you want than someone who has their own way of doing things already. There have been many internal transfers, but they hire straight out of college into a lower pay grade and train them to operate "The Toyota Way."

And you should always ATTEMPT to negotiate salaries, negotiation is not always an option. If the number of qualified candidates looking for the same job is larger than the number of jobs available, the company is free to move on to the next qualified person with lower salary expectations.

Also, 10% more is not that much. I can't think of a situation where 10% more would make me leave a job with great benefits, security, and my seniority in the company. Even if you make $150,000 per year you are looking at about $8000 cash per year or 650 bucks a month.

That said, I probably wouldn't relocate without a promotion or significant raise either because of the burden it will put on your life and your family.

Edited by Bradleykd 2014-12-05 9:00 PM
2014-12-06 8:19 AM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by mrbbrad

you haven't really been helping out though, stranger/FNG

2014-12-08 9:26 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Bradleykd

Maybe so. I can only speak for what I see at Toyota Manufacturing, and what is happening here is that they do not hire for experience. There hasn't been an experienced engineer come here for at least 10 years. They run internships, and hire great performing interns. They then let the company's current experience mold the new engineer to what the company wants. It is easier to train an inexperienced person to what you want than someone who has their own way of doing things already. There have been many internal transfers, but they hire straight out of college into a lower pay grade and train them to operate "The Toyota Way."  

My boyfriend works at an aircraft manufacturing company and their hiring practice is similar - and VERY rigid. Three years ago their parent company implemented the policy that the ONLY new hires to the company(ies) would be interns. Every other job opening is to be filled internally. The interns would theoretically stay with the company and grow up there, experiencing lots of different career opportunities. In just the business here in my city, they have about 200 interns every summer (to a total employment # of around 5,000). The thought is similar to above... hiring from within saves the company all kinds of resources (and probably salary for the reasons MEH states) - and that there is always someone from within one of the 10 companies the parent company owns that can and will fill the position.

I personally think this is not a model that will work out long term. For example Brian is trying to hire someone with VERY niche experience, has to be the right personality, be willing to relocate/live in New York, etc. and they have been trying for 4 months to find someone internally - but can't. Even begging HR for an exception is no-go. I don't get why the company would put themselves - and whoever takes this job eventually - in that kind of position where they start "behind" 4+ months, when they could find the exact right person in about 5 minutes if they would only open it up to external candidates.

I can see the benefits of hiring internally and opening up jobs internally first, but to have that as the sole hiring practice with no exceptions kind of blows my mind.

2014-12-08 9:28 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by mrbbrad

you haven't really been helping out though, stranger/FNG

Tru dat

2014-12-08 9:48 AM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by Bradleykd

My boyfriend works at an aircraft manufacturing company and their hiring practice is similar - and VERY rigid. Three years ago their parent company implemented the policy that the ONLY new hires to the company(ies) would be interns. Every other job opening is to be filled internally. The interns would theoretically stay with the company and grow up there, experiencing lots of different career opportunities. In just the business here in my city, they have about 200 interns every summer (to a total employment # of around 5,000). The thought is similar to above... hiring from within saves the company all kinds of resources (and probably salary for the reasons MEH states) - and that there is always someone from within one of the 10 companies the parent company owns that can and will fill the position.

I personally think this is not a model that will work out long term. For example Brian is trying to hire someone with VERY niche experience, has to be the right personality, be willing to relocate/live in New York, etc. and they have been trying for 4 months to find someone internally - but can't. Even begging HR for an exception is no-go. I don't get why the company would put themselves - and whoever takes this job eventually - in that kind of position where they start "behind" 4+ months, when they could find the exact right person in about 5 minutes if they would only open it up to external candidates.

I can see the benefits of hiring internally and opening up jobs internally first, but to have that as the sole hiring practice with no exceptions kind of blows my mind.

I agree that it is crazy. I am a supervisor in Operation Support (machine maintenance and repairs) and cannot hire anyone full time into the company. I have to hire an intern at an 18 month temporary rate and through a performance review process over the 18 months determine if they are a fit for the company. This would be fine if I were hiring one or two people here and there, but my facility has been opened for a little over 25 years and now 65% of my maintenance people are retiring within the next two years. I need experienced skilled maintenance people, but those people will not give up a full time job for a temporary internship position with a chance to get hired, so I only get kids fresh out of school, or other inexperienced or lesser skilled people. Policies will not allow exceptions to the rule. It is nuts to me, but I guess they figure they know what they are doing.
2014-12-08 11:32 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

An evil person in the office brought in home-made caramels...  I hate them and love them at the same time.  

2014-12-08 11:38 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

An evil person in the office brought in home-made caramels...  I hate them and love them at the same time.  

an evil person in my office just microwaved cabbage in the break area.  i only hate them.

2014-12-08 11:42 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

an evil person in my office just microwaved cabbage in the break area.  i only hate them.

That's a totally legit reason for hate.   

There's one person here who microwaves fish - they are also on the hate list.  

2014-12-08 11:44 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

that's just mean, and it doesn't even taste good once you microwave it!

2014-12-08 11:51 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

that's just mean, and it doesn't even taste good once you microwave it!

It's not just mean, it's an assault to the olfactory senses!!  

Ugh, even just the thought of rubbery, tasteless (though smelly) fish is enough to make me scrunch my nose while thinking about it.  ICKY!

Hey, how long until you're in Texas???  

2014-12-08 12:03 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Much like the person who brought a bunch of holiday cookies in this morning... 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » NewTAN's Third Law of Motion Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Wii help needed: Want to kill, but get motion sickness

Started by AcesFull
Views: 1641 Posts: 10

2009-01-05 10:42 AM TriRSquared

I'll make a motion...

Started by Sharkie
Views: 2126 Posts: 20

2008-12-11 10:50 AM JoshKaptur

Motion Sickness

Started by soloryder
Views: 1864 Posts: 13

2008-06-20 1:15 PM erin116

Motion Sensors?

Started by steveseer
Views: 2176 Posts: 14

2008-06-03 10:26 PM tech_geezer

can you pass the third grade? Pages: 1 2

Started by gabejd09
Views: 3829 Posts: 33

2004-10-04 2:23 PM Whit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How to regain enough range of motion to swim freestyle after a shoulder injury or surgery

date : May 11, 2009
author : FitWerx
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.
date : May 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?

date : March 6, 2007
author : AMSSM
If one muscle has restrictions it can limit the range of motion on the connecting joint and have a domino effect as that tension and restriction is carried down the chain.
date : July 4, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
While most do not think about the actual vector breakdown involved in the cycling stroke and where the power is applied in detail, when you finally do think about it, things become clearer.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Gareth
Flexibility, muscle imbalances relating to range of motion and how it affects your swimming technique.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
I was able to spend one Saturday morning in the store conducting this interview and I learned a good bit of information about shoes and proper fitting.

date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
To avoid a myriad of injuries (joint pain to your knees, ankles, hips, shin splints, foot pain, bruises), it’s invaluable to find the right running shoes.