Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2015-01-30 5:08 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: NewTAN's Third Law of Motion

In a brief nutshell.  There is an individual here that is good at his particular (and important job - CAD/I.T.) but has EXTREMELY bad people and social skills.  He offends and is condescending to everyone to the point people basically refuse to work with him even though we are forced to.

I brought this issue up to the owners (with backup from the other project manager) and staff.  They had words with him about his attitude (one of many talks they have had with him before about the subject over the years), but he brought up some of his own complaints and somehow turned the whole thing around into how the office needs to do things better and even report MORE to him - even though he already has an ego and a chip on his shoulder the size of a sequoia.

We were told that even as project managers, we needed to "justify" our plans and designs to him...   Seriously?  After 20 years of engineering and senior project manager I need to report to a CAD/IT guy as the stamper/sealer of MY documents?

I just realized that they were willing the make everyone cater to this guy and how small we were compared to him and how little trust or faith they have in me or anyone else.  The other PM thought the same thing and we both, even being loyal people, decided to bail.

THAT plus it opened my eyes to increased salary the industry offers (but my office failed to follow), I can get 401k (which my office is too small to offer and I haven't had in 8 years), and other reasons.

SO, better pay, better retirement, bonuses, more responsibility and trust/faith, more potential for growth, not dealing with an A-hole, and a place I don't dread going to?  I think I need to move along but also (since the boss is my friend), need to figure out how to tell him (despite the fact I can reference a half dozen emails and long conversations stating just about the same thing they "ignored" or the severity of my feelings didn't register). 

I could say "why am I leaving? - read the emails and remember the conversations we had over the last month - that's why I'm leaving"

2015-01-30 5:09 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Haha, maybe it wasn't as "brief" as I thought.  But considering the countless hours I have devoted to the situation and sleepless nights and long conversations - probably 80 hours devoted to the issue, it IS brief!

2015-01-30 5:59 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by Kido

Haha, maybe it wasn't as "brief" as I thought.  But considering the countless hours I have devoted to the situation and sleepless nights and long conversations - probably 80 hours devoted to the issue, it IS brief!

You don't have to justify anything to anyone.  This isn't a good situation for you even if you consider your boss a friend.  In the end people do what they need to do to better lives for themselves.  Move on and don't feel guilty about it

2015-01-31 6:13 PM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake

Wow. What a toxic environment. It's not worth the time but I wonder how much that guy has cost the company in HR costs, project changes, etc. You do not owe anyone a explanation. If asked you could say evaluated the market for your skills and found a better offer and leave it at that. If your friend asks again away from the office, you could me more blunt but then weigh the cost of possibly hurting a friendship.
2015-02-01 9:44 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Socks

You don't have to justify anything to anyone.  This isn't a good situation for you even if you consider your boss a friend.  In the end people do what they need to do to better lives for themselves.  Move on and don't feel guilty about it

Agreed.

And on the salary/benefits front... I'm with a small company, too. Pay is ok, benefits are non-existent. My boss understands that I'm still casually looking - and I understand that my job really can't afford more pay or any benefits. Also, my employment is grant-funded and that grant runs out in about 14 months.

I'm in a good situation with the National Guard that I've got medical/retirement though them. But if I left for financial reasons, there'd be no hard feelings. 

But, if my situation was like yours outside of the pay/benefits, I'd want to tell them. And not to complain, to help them understand likely issues they would face trying to keep another full time engineer around.

2015-02-02 10:41 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Chatham Ontario
Happy snowy Monday TAN

I am in at work but it is low key here. I don't feel like doing much, Work has me exhausted so many projects and so many launches this last year. And half the plant didn't make it in due to the snow today. Shoveled with my SO for almost 2 full hours to get me out of the driveway.

Kido

I agree leave on the best terms possible. They have issues but maybe in their mind their business model is built around that guy and thinking they can't replace him. As an Engineer in the auto industry I have learned that I can not change people. You have to find ways to work around them or you need to move on.

I have been at my new company for over a year and I love it. I am swamped it is understaffed from top to bottom and publicly traded. I know I will run into over worked understaffed issues all the time. Its the world I work in now a days. But the last place I worked was the worst ever in 20 years and 4 companies. It was over staffed, wouldn't spend a dime and treated people like complete crap.

I turned in my resignation and offered an exit interview. My boss didn't even bother he knew the issues and he knew ahead of time why I was leaving. It was only a month before that I worked an 18 hour day and then came into work 15 mins late the next day and they wanted to write me up. I refused to sign the paper. They played little games like opting what months to cover my cell phone bill if they thought I had worked hard enough or not.

They based their judgements in that company by working hard not smart. ie working 18 hours meant you were a great worker. You could be there for 18 hours and hardly get anything done but it showed you were dedicated. You could work 8-10 hours a day like me show cost savings. Cover all your worked and more and provide proof of improvements etc. But you might not be a good worker.

ie I would work 50-60 hours a week and managed to implement 3 million dollars in savings over 2 years and only spent about $90,000 to do it. I was shunned because I stopped working weekends once I had a kid. The other Engineer there managed to implement about $400,000 in cost savings and spent about $200,000 to do it. However he would work 7 days a week and he was paid OT under the old system. I was salary as a new hire. And the salary did not reflect the hours. Nor the work load. He would be there for 70-80 hours a week but mostly wander around and talk to people because he worked there for 18 years.

I turned in my resignation and my boss looked and said " no sense me counter offering, I know this is a work culture issue." 2+ years there with documented improvements and not a single raise.

I have been gone from there for 14 months and they have gone through 5 Engineers since I left. They sell themselves well then people get in and check out faster than they walked in.

Be polite and professional. You never know they may close the business and move on themselves and you might need that contact down the road. I have landed job offers by being professional in my past to people I felt were my mortal Enemies.

2015-02-02 3:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Most recent twist...

The "toxic" individual is rumored to be leaving.  So the argument would be "if he is gone, you don't need to leave".  Thing is, it's not really the individual that I had issue with, but the fact that management had so little faith in me, and catered to him (and asked me to).  So it's more how the situation was handled, not the person - if that makes sense.

Just like in any relationship or fight, it's usually not one particular incident or event, but how that event makes people feel or is handled.  Like a fight over where to eat is REALLY something like fighting to be heard or acknowledged or someone feels ignored (if we are talking about a couple).  Agreeing to get pizza is NOT the answer, but addressing the feelings of being ignored is the true problem.  Know what I mean?

So getting rid of they guy doesn't solve the problem of how they treated everyone or probably how they will continue to treat people.

PLUS the salary and bennies.  I think that everyone has gone too far down this path that a simple personnel change will do any good.  The Titanic is too close to the iceberg to turn in time now.

ETA:  The company had a superbowl party last night and apparently, there was some drunken conversation and a lot of the crap hit the fan with the boss.  Part of me whishes I was there, but OTOH, me venting with a few drinks in me could have been bad.  Better I left early, I suppose.

Edited by Kido 2015-02-02 3:27 PM
2015-02-02 3:47 PM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake

Most recent twist...

The "toxic" individual is rumored to be leaving.  So the argument would be "if he is gone, you don't need to leave".  Thing is, it's not really the individual that I had issue with, but the fact that management had so little faith in me, and catered to him (and asked me to).  So it's more how the situation was handled, not the person - if that makes sense.

Just like in any relationship or fight, it's usually not one particular incident or event, but how that event makes people feel or is handled.  Like a fight over where to eat is REALLY something like fighting to be heard or acknowledged or someone feels ignored (if we are talking about a couple).  Agreeing to get pizza is NOT the answer, but addressing the feelings of being ignored is the true problem.  Know what I mean?

So getting rid of they guy doesn't solve the problem of how they treated everyone or probably how they will continue to treat people.

PLUS the salary and bennies.  I think that everyone has gone too far down this path that a simple personnel change will do any good.  The Titanic is too close to the iceberg to turn in time now.

ETA:  The company had a superbowl party last night and apparently, there was some drunken conversation and a lot of the crap hit the fan with the boss.  Part of me whishes I was there, but OTOH, me venting with a few drinks in me could have been bad.  Better I left early, I suppose.

Jim, I think you already know what to do. There is too much history to believe things will change. A fresh start will be good. Perhaps with the individual gone it may reduce the urgency to search for a new position. I think you were smart to depart early before the drama.
2015-02-02 5:28 PM
in reply to: tcarlson78

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by tcarlson78

Most recent twist...

Jim, I think you already know what to do. There is too much history to believe things will change. A fresh start will be good. Perhaps with the individual gone it may reduce the urgency to search for a new position. I think you were smart to depart early before the drama.

Well, my life officially sucks (work life, at least).  The guy that we all can't get along with?  Quit.  Hooray, right?  Well, he took a job at the place I was going to go.  I'm officially F-U-C-*-E-D...  Can't go there.  I'm surprised they didn't reach out to me to ask about him first.  Weird.

I guess I have to see if there would be enough separation between us for me to still go.  I don't know what to do.

2015-02-02 10:16 PM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake

Originally posted by tcarlson78

Most recent twist...

Well, my life officially sucks (work life, at least).  The guy that we all can't get along with?  Quit.  Hooray, right?  Well, he took a job at the place I was going to go.  I'm officially F-U-C-*-E-D...  Can't go there.  I'm surprised they didn't reach out to me to ask about him first.  Weird.

I guess I have to see if there would be enough separation between us for me to still go.  I don't know what to do.

Unfortunately he probably had that set up or just has a heck of great connection. Who's skills are in higher demand? Perhaps you could talk with your connection to see how the new company deals with problems you experienced. If they have a no BS philosophy or they put more emphasis on the Project Manager then it could not be a problem. I would still seriously consider going over there, you get a fresh(er) start and better pay and benefits. I suggest you let your new boss know there is history and that you will stay on the higher path if your project requires you to interact with him. I am not suggesting poisoning the water for him but they also should be aware of possible problems in order to save the expense and headaches.
2015-02-03 6:34 AM

User image

Elite
Sorry for you Jim, bu I can't help but laugh at the best example ever of Murphy's Law. That is so good. It may not be so bad in the long run. Here's my prediction. This guy won't change but the new place will not be so tolerant. Give it two months. He gets canned and they will be begging you to come. TW

2015-02-03 6:45 AM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Elite
No cream for coffee this morning. Cream is one my vices that has become a habit. The black coffee turned out to be ok, mainly because the beans are pretty good but also because it is so cold this morning. Something hot tasted good.TW
2015-02-03 6:55 AM
in reply to: tech_geezer

User image

Chatham Ontario
Originally posted by tech_geezer

No cream for coffee this morning. Cream is one my vices that has become a habit. The black coffee turned out to be ok, mainly because the beans are pretty good but also because it is so cold this morning. Something hot tasted good.TW

I hate when this happens.

Then I go and try milk only and it makes it worse and I dump it. Then I go and try almond milk and dump that one. Then I get ticked off and go without coffee and that makes me angry.

Mostly because we still get woke up once a night with a baby and I have not had a night of uninterrupted sleep in forever. Coffee is the worlds hero saving the world from angry sleepless me. HAHAHA
2015-02-03 1:21 PM

User image

Elite

Tan Mini-Poll

When you make a pot of coffee in a drip maker with the valve on the filter basket so you can sneak in and get a cup before the brewing is finished, do you.

1.  Get the first cup because it is the best?

2.  Wait until it is almost finished because you are in a bit of a hurry and can't wait for the last drop of water to drip out?

3.  Wait until the pot signals the brewing is finished?

You may justify (or rationalize if it is 1 or 2) if you wish.

TW

2015-02-03 1:30 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Tan Mini-Poll

When you make a pot of coffee in a drip maker with the valve on the filter basket so you can sneak in and get a cup before the brewing is finished, do you.

2.  Wait until it is almost finished because you are in a bit of a hurry and can't wait for the last drop of water to drip out?

TW

you have to wait for the pot because otherwise you make the rest of the pot too weak by sniping the strongest cup.

2015-02-03 2:04 PM

User image

Pro

Tan Mini-Poll

TW

2. Mostly because (a) I'm drinking coffee at home and only skrewing myself... or (b) I made the pot of coffee at work and I want it NOW. I'm in first and make the first pot just about every day. That responsibility comes with certain privileges

2015-02-03 2:20 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Elite

Originally posted by mehaner

Tan Mini-Poll

TW

you have to wait for the pot because otherwise you make the rest of the pot too weak by sniping the strongest cup.

How about trail mix?  Is it ok to pick out the M&M's?

2015-02-03 2:49 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Tan Mini-Poll

TW

not if you are sharing with someone else!!!  you are just a mean dude!

2015-02-03 2:58 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Tan Mini-Poll

TW

2. Mostly because (a) I'm drinking coffee at home and only skrewing myself... or (b) I made the pot of coffee at work and I want it NOW. I'm in first and make the first pot just about every day. That responsibility comes with certain privileges

Whenever I made the pot I would wait for it to begin brewing, and snag the "first cup" because it was the strongest. And because they refused to buy anything other than Folger's mild brew crap. It was awful, but it was free.

2015-02-03 3:03 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Elite

Tan Mini-Poll

TW

not if you are sharing with someone else!!!  you are just a mean dude!

Yay.  Good answers.

2015-02-03 3:05 PM

User image

Elite

Tan Mini-Poll

TW

You get a pass.

2015-02-03 3:09 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by lisac957

Tan Mini-Poll

TW

Whenever I made the pot I would wait for it to begin brewing, and snag the "first cup" because it was the strongest. And because they refused to buy anything other than Folger's mild brew crap. It was awful, but it was free.

The world is a sad, sad place.  

2015-02-03 3:12 PM

User image

Elite

It is 42 degrees and the sunlight is beginning to fade.  Do I ride the trainer or suit up to ride outside?  

TW

2015-02-03 3:18 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by lisac957

Tan Mini-Poll

TW

Ditto here. Cheap-o Folgers. 

2015-02-03 3:42 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I use cheap o Folgers in my Kuerig so I only make one cup of cheap coffee!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » NewTAN's Third Law of Motion Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Wii help needed: Want to kill, but get motion sickness

Started by AcesFull
Views: 1647 Posts: 10

2009-01-05 10:42 AM TriRSquared

I'll make a motion...

Started by Sharkie
Views: 2132 Posts: 20

2008-12-11 10:50 AM JoshKaptur

Motion Sickness

Started by soloryder
Views: 1870 Posts: 13

2008-06-20 1:15 PM erin116

Motion Sensors?

Started by steveseer
Views: 2183 Posts: 14

2008-06-03 10:26 PM tech_geezer

can you pass the third grade? Pages: 1 2

Started by gabejd09
Views: 3842 Posts: 33

2004-10-04 2:23 PM Whit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How to regain enough range of motion to swim freestyle after a shoulder injury or surgery

date : May 11, 2009
author : FitWerx
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.
date : May 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?

date : March 6, 2007
author : AMSSM
If one muscle has restrictions it can limit the range of motion on the connecting joint and have a domino effect as that tension and restriction is carried down the chain.
date : July 4, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
While most do not think about the actual vector breakdown involved in the cycling stroke and where the power is applied in detail, when you finally do think about it, things become clearer.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Gareth
Flexibility, muscle imbalances relating to range of motion and how it affects your swimming technique.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
I was able to spend one Saturday morning in the store conducting this interview and I learned a good bit of information about shoes and proper fitting.

date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
To avoid a myriad of injuries (joint pain to your knees, ankles, hips, shin splints, foot pain, bruises), it’s invaluable to find the right running shoes.