User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
Subject: RE: NewTAN's Third Law of Motion
Originally posted by Kido

Originally posted by cgregg

Originally posted by tech_geezer

Tan Mini-Poll

When you make a pot of coffee in a drip maker with the valve on the filter basket so you can sneak in and get a cup before the brewing is finished, do you.

1.  Get the first cup because it is the best?

2.  Wait until it is almost finished because you are in a bit of a hurry and can't wait for the last drop of water to drip out?

3.  Wait until the pot signals the brewing is finished?

You may justify (or rationalize if it is 1 or 2) if you wish.

TW

Usually 3 because I start the coffee and then leave it while I do other things and the beep tells me when to come back to it, but sometimes 2 if I'm super tired that morning and just have to have a cup right meow.  Lately, I've been playing with the size of the grind to figure out what gives the best balance between taste and brew speed (finer grinds slow down the drop process).

p.s.  less than four months to go before this TAN has a birthday.

Depends on the flavor profile you want.  One of the reasons coffee comes out bad is people don't used enough.  Which means that the beans get over extracted which is very bitter.  The beginning of the extraction is the "sweeter/flavor" part and more and more of the bitterness comes out after that.  (so my answer to the mini poll is STEAL THAT FIRST CUP! - It's the sweeter and more flavorful portion of the extraction).  A slow drip can cause that as well as not enough coffee (water keeps pulling more and more from the limited amount in the basket).

Another example, is the aeropress.  fine grind but only a 10 second steep and a quick plunger to push the water through by pressure.  It's a strong coffee without any bitterness.  Add some hot water to make it an "Americano" and it could be one of your better cups of coffee.  I know an owner of a shop that swears by it.  The bialetti moka pots are used all over europ (most Italy) and sort of works on the same principle.  Pressure builds up and pushed the water through the coffee in less that 30 seconds rather than a slow steep.

My next big purchas may be a good good grinder.  I mean $500-$600 good.  I had a blade grinder which is uneven and can burn the coffee due to too much friction.  I bought a $50 burr grinder - ok for everything but espresso.  Got a $150 grinder, even better with electronic dosing, but still not fine enough for TRUE espresso.  Even the mega grinders at the store, set to "Turkish" are a joke.  First of all, Turkish/greek coffee is ground to almost baby powder which the store models don't do (or even close).  That setting doesn't even make it fine enough for espresso.  I almost (to my chagrin) need to buy Illy or some other super fine espresso grind to get my espresso machine to put out a good one. 

I haven't cracked open a Keurig espresso pod to see how fine that is...  Just need to remind myself to do it.  I know the Nesspresso pods are pretty fine.  I'm a bit dubious of the "crema" that come from those machines.  It's looks close to the real thing, but crema is developed from water temp, tamping pressure, and water pressure.  The pods are not tamped, so I wonder how they achieve it.  Some kind of fake it by introducing air and foaming them up, which is not true crema.  I hear the machines cranking away and sounds like it builds pressure, so maybe it does something magical in the process that's close to a true espresso machine.

ANYWAY, I'm showing my age when things like craft beer, small batch bourbons, and coffee brewing are fascinating to me.

MMMM, Craft Beer, Bourbon, and Coffee. All the good things in life!
2015-02-05 7:36 AM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Elite

Daytona Speed Week

For those here who don't follow NASCAR, the Daytona 500 is approaching.  I don't follow the sport but I am aware of the 500 because my MIL has a group of condos in South Daytona Beach.  Through most of the year South Daytona is the quiet area for retired Yankees from New York or New Jersey, but drivers have rented her units for the month leading up to the race so the condos are in a good area for people watching during Speed Week.  I am not interested in going to the race but I have heard that the city is a huge party for the whole Speed Week leading up.  I have always wanted to go and just hang out.  Is this crazy?  Would it be fun?  Any fans here who have gone?  Should I only go if I can get a group of people to go with me to be safe?  JWKMH has said she is not interested in this event but to go ahead if I want.

What does this sound like to you?

TW

2015-02-05 9:34 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

DP!

Edited by lisac957 2015-02-05 9:35 AM
2015-02-05 9:34 AM
in reply to: tech_geezer

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Daytona Speed Week

For those here who don't follow NASCAR, the Daytona 500 is approaching.  I don't follow the sport but I am aware of the 500 because my MIL has a group of condos in South Daytona Beach.  Through most of the year South Daytona is the quiet area for retired Yankees from New York or New Jersey, but drivers have rented her units for the month leading up to the race so the condos are in a good area for people watching during Speed Week.  I am not interested in going to the race but I have heard that the city is a huge party for the whole Speed Week leading up.  I have always wanted to go and just hang out.  Is this crazy?  Would it be fun?  Any fans here who have gone?  Should I only go if I can get a group of people to go with me to be safe?  JWKMH has said she is not interested in this event but to go ahead if I want.

TW

You can hang out with my boyfriend, he will be there for the race
I think you should go! A bucket list kind of thing... just to see what it's like if nothing else. 

2015-02-05 11:04 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Tan Mini-Poll

When you make a pot of coffee in a drip maker with the valve on the filter basket so you can sneak in and get a cup before the brewing is finished, do you.

2.  Wait until it is almost finished because you are in a bit of a hurry and can't wait for the last drop of water to drip out?

TW

Usually 3 because I start the coffee and then leave it while I do other things and the beep tells me when to come back to it, but sometimes 2 if I'm super tired that morning and just have to have a cup right meow.  Lately, I've been playing with the size of the grind to figure out what gives the best balance between taste and brew speed (finer grinds slow down the drop process).

Depends on the flavor profile you want.  One of the reasons coffee comes out bad is people don't used enough.  Which means that the beans get over extracted which is very bitter.  The beginning of the extraction is the "sweeter/flavor" part and more and more of the bitterness comes out after that.  (so my answer to the mini poll is STEAL THAT FIRST CUP! - It's the sweeter and more flavorful portion of the extraction).  A slow drip can cause that as well as not enough coffee (water keeps pulling more and more from the limited amount in the basket).

Another example, is the aeropress.  fine grind but only a 10 second steep and a quick plunger to push the water through by pressure.  It's a strong coffee without any bitterness.  Add some hot water to make it an "Americano" and it could be one of your better cups of coffee.  I know an owner of a shop that swears by it.  The bialetti moka pots are used all over europ (most Italy) and sort of works on the same principle.  Pressure builds up and pushed the water through the coffee in less that 30 seconds rather than a slow steep.

My next big purchas may be a good good grinder.  I mean $500-$600 good.  I had a blade grinder which is uneven and can burn the coffee due to too much friction.  I bought a $50 burr grinder - ok for everything but espresso.  Got a $150 grinder, even better with electronic dosing, but still not fine enough for TRUE espresso.  Even the mega grinders at the store, set to "Turkish" are a joke.  First of all, Turkish/greek coffee is ground to almost baby powder which the store models don't do (or even close).  That setting doesn't even make it fine enough for espresso.  I almost (to my chagrin) need to buy Illy or some other super fine espresso grind to get my espresso machine to put out a good one. 

I haven't cracked open a Keurig espresso pod to see how fine that is...  Just need to remind myself to do it.  I know the Nesspresso pods are pretty fine.  I'm a bit dubious of the "crema" that come from those machines.  It's looks close to the real thing, but crema is developed from water temp, tamping pressure, and water pressure.  The pods are not tamped, so I wonder how they achieve it.  Some kind of fake it by introducing air and foaming them up, which is not true crema.  I hear the machines cranking away and sounds like it builds pressure, so maybe it does something magical in the process that's close to a true espresso machine.

ANYWAY, I'm showing my age when things like craft beer, small batch bourbons, and coffee brewing are fascinating to me.

I picked up a Capresso Infinity grinder several years back.  It's a very modestly priced conical burr grinder that seems - to this layperson - to do an excellent job grinding.  You definitely don't have the horribly inconsistent grind of a blade grinder, nor the heat build up.  It has the ability to do a Turkish grind, but I've yet to actually try it.... I may have to do that experiment to see how it goes.

The fiancee has recently introduced me to the French Press (no, that's not a type of pizza) and I've come to REALLY like it.  A 3 minute steep in boiling water and a quick press and you've got some really nice coffee.

2015-02-05 12:04 PM
in reply to: tcarlson78

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by tcarlson78

Tan Mini-Poll

TW

MMMM, Craft Beer, Bourbon, and Coffee. All the good things in life!

I MISS BEER.

and  wine.

come on, august!

2015-02-05 12:09 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Elite

Originally posted by lisac957

Daytona Speed Week

TW

I think you should go! A bucket list kind of thing... just to see what it's like if nothing else. 

I mentioned it this morning to JWKMH this morning. She is already voicing some concern about the time it would take so I am probably not going this year.  I have to get our Oak Ridge house ready to put on the market and we have been occupied with other things too much so work has not progressed since before Christmas.  

The Daytona trip is a bucket list kind of thing for me.  Meeting up with folks would probably make it more fun.  Does the BF go every year?  Does he know where to go?  i have some friends who are NASCAR fans and go to races every year (Bristol and Martinsville) .  We have discussed going together for the week.  We just haven't found the year that we could all get away for Daytona.   The condo is the way to go to mostly avoid crowded restaurants and just go to the biker bars and cruise the streets some.

I also want to go down for Spring Break and Bike Week sometime.   I think I am entering my second childhood.

TW

2015-02-05 12:12 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Daytona Speed Week

TW

I mentioned it this morning to JWKMH this morning. She is already voicing some concern about the time it would take so I am probably not going this year.  I have to get our Oak Ridge house ready to put on the market and we have been occupied with other things too much so work has not progressed since before Christmas.  

The Daytona trip is a bucket list kind of thing for me.  Meeting up with folks would probably make it more fun.  Does the BF go every year?  Does he know where to go?  i have some friends who are NASCAR fans and go to races every year (Bristol and Martinsville) .  We have discussed going together for the week.  We just haven't found the year that we could all get away for Daytona.   The condo is the way to go to mostly avoid crowded restaurants and just go to the biker bars and cruise the streets some.

I also want to go down for Spring Break and Bike Week sometime.   I think I am entering my second childhood.

TW

that's more like... a second young adulthood.  those are 20-year-old things to do

2015-02-05 12:14 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by mehaner

....I MISS BEER.

and  wine.

come on, august!

I must have missed something.  Why are you cutting out beer and wine, two of the major food groups, until August?  

I am not drinking beer and wine either.  I am trying to get rid of any unnecessary calories and boosting the running/biking to lose about 15 lbs.  This weight loss campaign also explains why I have been on BT a lot.  It is the OCD thing kicking in.

Edited by tech_geezer 2015-02-05 12:23 PM
2015-02-05 12:22 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Elite

...that's more like... a second young adulthood.  those are 20-year-old things to do

You know I sort of skipped over the irresponsible, carefree youth period.  I was such an idiot.  I only saw the inside of a library when I was at Georgia Tech.  Then I graduated to a wife, three kids, a cube farm, and 60 hour work weeks.  

TW

2015-02-05 12:48 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Does the BF go every year?  Does he know where to go?  i have some friends who are NASCAR fans and go to races every year (Bristol and Martinsville) .  We have discussed going together for the week.  We just haven't found the year that we could all get away for Daytona.   The condo is the way to go to mostly avoid crowded restaurants and just go to the biker bars and cruise the streets some.

TW

Yep he is there every year and at about half of all NASCAR races - his company sponsors a few drivers and he gets to schmooze them and make sure they are happy. I've only been on one race in Kansas City - it was pretty fun, despite not really knowing what was going on. It's a whole 'nother world for sure.

2015-02-05 2:15 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Elite

Does the BF go every year?  Does he know where to go?  i have some friends who are NASCAR fans and go to races every year (Bristol and Martinsville) .  We have discussed going together for the week.  We just haven't found the year that we could all get away for Daytona.   The condo is the way to go to mostly avoid crowded restaurants and just go to the biker bars and cruise the streets some.

TW

Yep he is there every year and at about half of all NASCAR races - his company sponsors a few drivers and he gets to schmooze them and make sure they are happy. I've only been on one race in Kansas City - it was pretty fun, despite not really knowing what was going on. It's a whole 'nother world for sure.

Cool.  He would certainly be able to give some good tips on stuff to do in Daytona.  The family's only brush with NASCAR royalty was the year one of MIL's condos was rented to Jimmy Johnson.  He and Jeff Gordon shot pool in the community rec room.  Neighbors wondered if she were related to him. Same last name but not related.  Apparently Jimmy and Jeff were nice and signed autographs.

2015-02-05 2:43 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

....I MISS BEER.

and  wine.

come on, august!

I must have missed something.  Why are you cutting out beer and wine, two of the major food groups, until August?  

I am not drinking beer and wine either.  I am trying to get rid of any unnecessary calories and boosting the running/biking to lose about 15 lbs.  This weight loss campaign also explains why I have been on BT a lot.  It is the OCD thing kicking in.

baby on board

2015-02-05 2:50 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

baby on board

AWESOME NEWS!!!!  I know I have not been on here very much, but congratulations a little late!!!!

2015-02-05 3:23 PM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by flip18436572

baby on board

AWESOME NEWS!!!!  I know I have not been on here very much, but congratulations a little late!!!!

i might have only mentioned it in my training log...but thank you!

2015-02-05 3:25 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
2015-02-05 3:47 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by ejshowers Congrats!!!!

thanks

2015-02-05 4:12 PM

User image

Elite

....I MISS BEER.

and  wine.

come on, august!

baby on board

Woohoo! That is great news. Is it OK to check your training log for updates?

Edited by tech_geezer 2015-02-05 4:14 PM
2015-02-05 7:32 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

....I MISS BEER.

and  wine.

come on, august!

baby on board

check away, but it's not very exciting!

2015-02-06 8:09 AM

User image

Elite

....I MISS BEER.

and  wine.

come on, august!

baby on board

I love babies.

2015-02-06 9:52 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

....I MISS BEER.

and  wine.

come on, august!

baby on board

I love babies.

don't expect lots of my baby on the internet.  especially on a triathlon training blog.

2015-02-06 10:11 AM

User image

Elite

....I MISS BEER.

and  wine.

come on, august!

baby on board

I love babies.

don't expect lots of my baby on the internet.  especially on a triathlon training blog.

I know
2015-02-08 4:40 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by flip18436572

baby on board

Where is the LIKE button!!! COngrats

i might have only mentioned it in my training log...but thank you!

2015-02-09 9:00 AM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Elite

Got a new job ..... helping a one-armed typist.....It's shift work but I like it.

Have a great day.

TW

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » NewTAN's Third Law of Motion Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Wii help needed: Want to kill, but get motion sickness

Started by AcesFull
Views: 1641 Posts: 10

2009-01-05 10:42 AM TriRSquared

I'll make a motion...

Started by Sharkie
Views: 2126 Posts: 20

2008-12-11 10:50 AM JoshKaptur

Motion Sickness

Started by soloryder
Views: 1864 Posts: 13

2008-06-20 1:15 PM erin116

Motion Sensors?

Started by steveseer
Views: 2176 Posts: 14

2008-06-03 10:26 PM tech_geezer

can you pass the third grade? Pages: 1 2

Started by gabejd09
Views: 3828 Posts: 33

2004-10-04 2:23 PM Whit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How to regain enough range of motion to swim freestyle after a shoulder injury or surgery

date : May 11, 2009
author : FitWerx
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.
date : May 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?

date : March 6, 2007
author : AMSSM
If one muscle has restrictions it can limit the range of motion on the connecting joint and have a domino effect as that tension and restriction is carried down the chain.
date : July 4, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
While most do not think about the actual vector breakdown involved in the cycling stroke and where the power is applied in detail, when you finally do think about it, things become clearer.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Gareth
Flexibility, muscle imbalances relating to range of motion and how it affects your swimming technique.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
I was able to spend one Saturday morning in the store conducting this interview and I learned a good bit of information about shoes and proper fitting.

date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
To avoid a myriad of injuries (joint pain to your knees, ankles, hips, shin splints, foot pain, bruises), it’s invaluable to find the right running shoes.