General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "plica" syndrom..say what? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-12 9:46 AM

User image

Expert
Morgantown, WV
Subject: "plica" syndrom..say what?
No, not pica the eating disorder. Plica, where little flaps of tissue formed in your knee when you were a fetus get swollen or lodged between knee bones in your knee. I suddenly came down with this crippling and painful injury last monday. I have been seeing a physical therapist.

Well, here's my question. See the thing is I have my first 1/2 ironman, the Timberman (Gilford, NH), next sunday and I HAVE TO GET BETTER AT ALL COSTS. I have so much time, money, and heart into this event.

So, has anyone had this or know anything about how long a recovery? I guess it's an overuse thing.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

2006-08-12 3:09 PM
in reply to: #509600

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: "plica" syndrom..say what?

Took me about 3 weeks earlier this year with no running and doing PT 3x/wk where they put some anti-inflam into my knee though electro stim.  Frankly, I could have run if I "had" to.  But at some point in the run the pain would become pretty intense.  Sometimes it took 10min, sometimes 40.

If I were in your shoes, I would do NO running before the race.  Let it rest as much as possible.  Do the race and take some ibuprofin or another anti-inflam before the race.  And maybe pop a couple in T2 before the run as well.  After the race, plan on taking off as much time as you need and listen to the PT.  I've had no trouble since then.

Hope you make it through the race OK.  I'll see you there! 

2006-08-13 12:03 PM
in reply to: #509600

User image

Expert
Morgantown, WV
Subject: RE: "plica" syndrom..say what?

Well, not the greatest news I've ever heard. But promising. I've done nothing so, I will continue doing nothing. Thanks so much for the advice. I've been getting the stim and using Ib-profen everyday. And icing. So, hopefully I will make it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "plica" syndrom..say what? Rss Feed