General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint Tri's in GA Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-10 3:35 PM

New user
Subject: Sprint Tri's in GA
Anyone have experience with the following Sprint Tri's? Trying to determine which one to add to my calendar.

Chattahoochee Challenge - Columbus, GA
Escape to Blue Ridge Tri the Mountains - Blue Ridge, GA

Tri the Parks Mistletoe Sprint - did it last year. Humidity was a killer as well as that trail through the woods after the bad storms they had prior to the race. May do it again but wanted to take a look at the other two and get some feedback as to how they compare if anyone knows.

2014-06-12 12:24 PM
in reply to: #5010300

Subject: RE: Sprint Tri's in GA
I've done both. They are very different races but both very well put on so you don't have to worry about the management of either race.
Blue ridge is a lake swim followed by a longer ride (18 miles) that is relatively flat. You expect a lot of climbing on the ride since its in the mountains but there really isn't much. The run takes you from the lake up to the town for the finish so there is a large net elevation gain on it. It's one of the harder 5ks around due to the net gain. Finish is 5k away from transition so it takes some management to retrieve your things depending on where you parked that morning.
Columbus has a down river swim with currents that were exceptionally fast last year. You really didn't have to swim much, you could have just floated downstream and then swam over the to ramp out. There is a longer, uphill run back to transition before a pretty flat bike ride that is out mostly on roads but then back on the river walk. Hard to get aero on the ride back because of the twists, turns, and traffic on small paths. Would be better to have abroad bike for that. Run is almost completely flat weaving in town. Finish is in downtown not far from transition.
Again, both good races, you just have to decide what's important to you
2014-06-12 12:24 PM
in reply to: #5011414

I meant a road bike. Not abroad bike. Sorry
2014-06-13 6:43 PM
in reply to: Allen_Leonard

New user
Thanks Allen. Good ifo.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint Tri's in GA Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sprint the Gaps, Vogal State Park GA

Started by ChrisGreen
Views: 757 Posts: 1

2013-07-23 2:58 PM ChrisGreen

Navigator Sprint Triathlon in Rome, GA 10/10

Started by jsmith227
Views: 2253 Posts: 11

2010-09-16 9:51 AM jsmith227

GA: Callaway Gardens Labor Day Weekend Tri

Started by swimmingstinks!
Views: 1358 Posts: 10

2005-09-06 4:11 PM huengsolo

Want to race Tri P'tree City, GA

Started by mlmille
Views: 1135 Posts: 8

2005-08-28 2:21 PM mlmille

High Falls State Park Sprint- Jackson, GA Pages: 1 2 3

Started by runnergirl29
Views: 3065 Posts: 54

2005-08-19 1:38 PM runnergirl29
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 21, 2011
author : etra77
comments : 0
Aunt and Nephew do their first Sprint Triathlon together

date : July 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm doing the 22 week sprint tri program and the 2 mile bike ride it starts with is not very challenging. I see this as a opportunity to train the right way and challenge myself. Any ideas?
date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : December 19, 2006
author : Team BT
Tri Benbrook Sprint 2006 provided by JeepFleeb
date : January 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Should I have time goals for the first sprint? Should I just finish the race at a reasonable pace? I'm not sure how to approach this.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.