General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Motivational Problems Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-14 12:55 PM

User image

Master
Grand Prairie
Subject: Motivational Problems
So.. this might be a longer post.
After I did Austin 70.3 last year I had my eyes on a sub 5hr 50k in February, the idea was to use this time to qualify for Comrades 2015.
I finished the 50k in 4:57 (MISSION accomplished), but at that point I found myself without a job, which resulted in no more races for 2014, with the exception of the once I signed up for already.

I was going to focus on running, wanting to hit 2k miles this year ~40 miles a week.
Plan was 3 times a week 5 miles, 15 sat and 10 sun

6 weeks ago I had a dog follow me home. Which triggered some discussions with my wife at the same time 2 job prospects that where very promising fell through.
The dog is now here to stay and my wife and I are fine.

However the dog can only do 2, maybe 3 miles (slow) in our weather, I am still out a job and hence Comrades 2015 seems not affordable.
On top of that is that I just had a week long cold and I keep having some minor pains (stiff Achilles in the morning, some pain in the front of shin/foot, shoulders hurt a little).

On the good side is that I walk with the dog a lot. I usually do 20-60 min walking in the morning and another 30 -60 in the evening, unless I run with her.
The dog is young and still needs a lot of training of course...

All of this has my motivation at a real low point. I have not been swimming and my biking is almost non existent.
Next week is my last tri of this year X-50 (1mile swim, 40 mile bike, 9 mile run), I know this will be painfull...

I guess I just need some words of encouragement/ advice... Should I take this year easy to heal out all the niggles and get the dog fit?
Or should I just pick myself up and push through all this?

Edited by timf79 2014-06-14 12:58 PM

2014-06-15 5:28 AM
in reply to: #5012281

Subject: RE: Motivational Problems
If you've kept up running, and are a decent swimmer, I think you should be fine. Not saying you'll be fast, and will have to tone down the intensity on the bike (probably to not much more than leisure pace).

But that again depends on exactly when you stopped, and how much you were doing when you stopped.

As far as motivation, if you are not working, you probably have time. I'm assuming you have a plan to rejoin the workforce. Your number one priority is to use that time to make sure that plan is solid, and that you execute it. If you know you are doing everything you can to get a job, and you still have extra time, then use it to do something you enjoy. Whether it's training (whether or not you will be able to race again soon, because it won't be forever) , or something else.

It's a good idea to keep doing some exercise, since it is good for physical and mental health. So if you do decide to take a break from actual training, keep walking/running that dog.

Good luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Motivational Problems Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Saddle Problems = Prostate Problems

Started by Qua17
Views: 2427 Posts: 11

2013-01-24 7:09 AM audiojan

Motivational problems in only one sport?

Started by stuartjeff
Views: 1355 Posts: 9

2007-09-13 10:54 AM MLJ

Favorite Motivational Workouts?

Started by MsaWebmaster
Views: 1183 Posts: 12

2005-03-28 5:37 PM kme

Sam IM - a LONG motivational

Started by econway
Views: 924 Posts: 19

2004-09-11 5:54 PM dolly

What's your motivational song? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by jkbostic
Views: 2250 Posts: 60

2004-09-07 10:02 AM dgunthert
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 0
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.

date : February 16, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Some athletes call it runners' trots; others call it diarrhea. Whatever the name, few athletes openly discuss the topic yet many secretly suffer. Here’s some information about this stinky topic that m
date : June 30, 2009
author : FitWerx
Are your brakes not slowing you down enough? Are your wheels rubbing on them? This video will cover the basics on adjusting your own bicycle brakes.

date : January 16, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
My symptoms have been present off and on for almost two years. Is this a surgical problem, or should I just keep managing it for as long as I can?
date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?
date : March 20, 2007
author : dawnieruns
It's funny, there are so many people who hate even the thought of running, or even of jogging slowly! I can't imagine my life without it.

date : July 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Proper Bicycle Fit and Treatment of Common Cycling-related Medical Problems