General Discussion Race Reports! » Rochesterfest Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rochesterfest Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Rochester, Minnesota
United States
Final Stretch
Total Time = 3h 00m 39s
Overall Rank = 64/96
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 6/7
Pre-race routine:

Got up way too early, grabbed some coffee and clif bar at the gas station and made the 2 hour drive to the race site. Arrived a little over an hour prior to the start of the race. Picked up packet, racked bike, etc. I chose a spot close to the swim and bike in but on the opposite side of the bike/run out.
Event warmup:

Did a quick little swim prior to the race.
Swim
  • 32m 35s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started off near the back of the pack. Had to walk a little ways to give the people in front of me enough time to open up enough space to get horizontal. There were plenty of bodies near me on the first lap. No significant contact. I did a decent job at navigation. But I still tend to drift to the right. On the 2nd lap, I had much more room. The faster women started catching up on this lap.

I was able to stay in a good rhythm throughout with few exceptions. Overall I was pleased with how the swim went. I shaved a few minutes off of my last Oly swim.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. No complaints.
Transition 1
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

There was a bit of a jog to get to the transition area. They had little kiddie pools to step into and get the sand off of your feet, which was nice.

My wet suit took a little extra work to get off of my legs. I also had a bit of a jog in my bike shoes to make it out of transition. The big thing that I goofed up on was forgetting to grab my sunglasses. Fortunately I didn't have anything hit my eyes and there was no rain. So it ended up not being too big of a deal.

Grab my sunglasses. Consider not being so gentle with my wet suit removal for faster times.
Bike
  • 1h 24m 56s
  • 40 kms
  • 28.26 km/hr
Comments:

I may have pushed just a little bit harder than I should have on the bike. There were some decent climbs that took the wind out of your sails. Only one was bad enough to make me feel like I was having to push hard to make it up. It's more uphill than downhill on the way out.

I was optimistic that I could pick up a little time on the 2nd half since it was more down than up. But the wind became more of a factor on the 2nd half. I could tell that I was also tiring a bit and a really didn't want to push for fear of a horrible run. So the 2nd half took just a minute or so longer than the 1st.

Maybe dial it back just a smidge. More training would also help as well.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

My rack was the first one into transition, so I didn't have to go far with the bike here. Transition was smooth and I was in and out in good time.

nothing.
Run
  • 59m 16s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 56s  min/km
Comments:

I started off a little more tired than my last Oly run. But I was trying to take it easy. My first mile was somewhere around 9:20, which is on the faster end of my long slow runs. But I was hanging in there. I was definitely getting warm and sweaty and my HR was higher than I wanted. The weather was a little warm, which wasn't helping. But I was able to hang tough and run pretty much the entire thing. The only walking I did was at aid stations (I don't drink well when running) and up one short steep section.

I mainly get passed while running. But I was able to pass a few guys that passed me in the first 2 miles of the run by being able to run without random walking breaks. So that was an ego boost. One of the humbling moments was seeing a guy on his way back in as I was heading out around mile 2 or so who must have had at least 50 pounds on me. Good on him for having the fitness to to go that speed. Makes me want to go train more. If he can go that speed, there's no reason I can't get there and beyond at some point.

Just gotta keep training. I still ended up under an hour which is a pace that I'm happy with at the moment. I'm hoping that the heat was just masking my fitness gains a little bit.
Post race
Warm down:

I was pretty darn beat by the time that I crossed the finish. I definitely was running hot and my HR was high, even though I wasn't cruising fast the last mile or anything. I drank a bunch of water and sport drink and also poured water over my head to try to cool off a bit. It did help cool me down, but it also washed the massive amount of salt residue from my sweating into my eyes, which didn't feel the greatest.

Grabbed some food (a brat and some Cheetos) and sat down for a few minutes to eat them. They also had animal crackers available and bananas for food. Not sure if any other yummy stuff was there earlier and already picked through or not. They also had red bull, which I grabbed two of for the ride home to help make sure I didn't get too tired while driving.

I was definitely beat and tired and moving slow schlepping all of my stuff back to my car. They had already started awards when I was finishing and I missed door prizes. So I didn't stick around after finishing my food to hear the rest of the winners.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training... I gotta do more of that. But I didn't make any significant mistakes that affected my time more than a minute or so.

Event comments:

I was happy with the race overall and would recommend it. I may do it again next year depending on my race schedule and the availability of other options closer to home.

Last updated: 2014-02-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:35 | 1500 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 60/96
Performance: Good
Suit: xterra vortex
Course: The course was a 2 loop course with a short beach run in between laps. The swim was in a clockwise fashion with plenty of buoys which were easy to sight with the relatively calm water.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:44
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:24:56 | 40 kms | 28.26 km/hr
Overall: 65/96
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: This was an out and back course with the sprint racers sharing the same course.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:59:16 | 10 kms | 05m 56s  min/km
Overall: 59/96
Performance: Average
Course: The course was mostly an out and back with a bit of a loop on the back half. It's primarily on paved walking trails and sidewalks, but a smaller portion was on a grassy path. It's fairly flat with occasional small elevation changes. There was one short steep section that would be hard to run up. About half of it had decent shade. I think there were 3 aid stations with water, sport drink, and hammer gels.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-06-22 3:45 PM

User image

Subject: Rochesterfest Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rochesterfest Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rochesterfest Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by jarheadjred
Views: 1310 Posts: 2

2011-07-06 4:48 PM BikerGrrrl

Started by supermario
Views: 1333 Posts: 1

2011-06-23 9:39 AM supermario

Started by mattp734
Views: 1032 Posts: 1

2011-06-20 8:56 PM mattp734

Started by Schmitty75
Views: 1033 Posts: 1

2011-06-19 11:04 PM Schmitty75

Started by supermario
Views: 1052 Posts: 1

2010-12-16 7:54 PM supermario
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.
date : August 30, 2004
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.