General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Impressions from my first time ever in a tri suit last night in a pool Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-24 10:30 AM

Subject: Impressions from my first time ever in a tri suit last night in a pool
Hi everyone,

So yesterday was my first ever experience swimming with a full body trisuit, albeit was in pool. I am going tobe doing my
first ever tri this sunday (sprint) and needed to test out my suit.

Initial impressions:

1) I was really really hot, pool temp was prob 80 deg F. No choice as I need to test fitment and get use swimming
with it. (my Sprint is this Sunday).

2) Arm/Foot movements felt very constrained vs. no suit (no surprise). I probably could have use a few adjustment
to the suit but I didn't have anyone to help me. Plus my suit is a entry level $200 suit from Zoot.

3) I'm not the best swimmer but usually it was takes me about 21-24 strokes to cover 25 meters. With the suit
I could do it in about 18 without really moving my feet. I guess this is where it comes in handy for longer races.

Questions:

1) Do you even bother to move your feet? it seems like movement of the feet is a waste of energy?

2) how much time does it take for you folks to put on and remove the suit?

2014-06-24 11:05 AM
in reply to: JTNY

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Impressions from my first time ever in a tri suit last night in a pool

Confused by the term "full body trisuit". Do you mean a wetsuit?

2014-06-24 11:09 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Impressions from my first time ever in a tri suit last night in a pool
Originally posted by JTNY

Hi everyone,

So yesterday was my first ever experience swimming with a full body trisuit, albeit was in pool. I am going tobe doing my
first ever tri this sunday (sprint) and needed to test out my suit.

Initial impressions:

1) I was really really hot, pool temp was prob 80 deg F. No choice as I need to test fitment and get use swimming
with it. (my Sprint is this Sunday).

2) Arm/Foot movements felt very constrained vs. no suit (no surprise). I probably could have use a few adjustment
to the suit but I didn't have anyone to help me. Plus my suit is a entry level $200 suit from Zoot.

3) I'm not the best swimmer but usually it was takes me about 21-24 strokes to cover 25 meters. With the suit
I could do it in about 18 without really moving my feet. I guess this is where it comes in handy for longer races.

Questions:

1) Do you even bother to move your feet? it seems like movement of the feet is a waste of energy?

2) how much time does it take for you folks to put on and remove the suit?

also confused, trisuit or wetsuit.

Yes use your feet, it helps your body positioning i.e. less drag

Trisuit takes 5 seconds to get off, wetsuit maybe 10 on a bad day.
2014-06-24 2:50 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

Subject: RE: Impressions from my first time ever in a wet suit last night in a pool
Sorry I meant to say wet suit.

I've put mine on twice so far , is it better to soak myself in the lake/ocean first before putting it on or is it better to to put it on while you are still dry?
2014-06-24 3:00 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Impressions from my first time ever in a wet suit last night in a pool

Originally posted by JTNY Sorry I meant to say wet suit. I've put mine on twice so far , is it better to soak myself in the lake/ocean first before putting it on or is it better to to put it on while you are still dry?

DRY.....only dry!

2014-06-24 3:55 PM

User image

New user
Pleasant Grove, Utah
yeah, i think it would be impossible to put on a wetsuit if you were already wet.

2014-06-24 9:21 PM

User image

Elite
Constriction - pull the wetsuit up higher on the sleeves should be almost a surplus of fabric at the shoulder and cuffs well above the wrist. Similar for the legs, well above the ankles.

It will give you more buoyancy, I don't kick intentionally but I know there is kicking done but less than without. Definitely the last 100-200m start kicking to get the blood flow into your legs or you'll get a nasty calf cramp surprise when you stand up.

Kicking around buoys is a great tactic to get you some clear water (thanks Macca for that tip)
2014-06-25 7:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
When you say can't move your feet, are you talking about flexing it? Toes pointing to the wall? Or are they pointing to the floor? You can cut the suit legs. Some wear them where it goes to low to mid calf.
2014-06-25 8:12 AM
in reply to: GAUG3

Thanks for the tips everyone, I think i probably did not pull the suit up high enough as the suit was right at my ankles , it felt really awkward as I could not get a full extension on my strokes. I'll give this a try tonight just to see how high up i can pull the suit.
2014-06-25 9:42 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by JTNY

Thanks for the tips everyone, I think i probably did not pull the suit up high enough as the suit was right at my ankles , it felt really awkward as I could not get a full extension on my strokes. I'll give this a try tonight just to see how high up i can pull the suit.

I always tell people that they should pull their wetsuit up in to their crotch in a way that makes you feel a little violated.

Once you get the upper body on, gently pinch the arms and pull it up over your shoulders to make sure that you have room up top in the shoulders. I think that '19' has a youtube video of how to put on the wetsuit that demonstrates this. Search youtube for videos on how to put on a triathlon wetsuit. There are dozens and it is helpful to watch how a pro puts on their wetsuit.

Fit is very important but so is how you put it on.

And yes, swimming in an 80 degree pool in a wetsuit is going to be hot!
2014-06-25 12:35 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Practice in your wetsuit in open water before your tri.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Impressions from my first time ever in a tri suit last night in a pool Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Had my first indoor pool clash with other swimmer last night Pages: 1 2 3

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 5905 Posts: 59

2012-08-17 6:32 PM Jschrenker

1st time with wet suit (2nd tri ever)

Started by twickland
Views: 1002 Posts: 6

2011-03-18 4:04 PM perfecttri

Rest time between last race and first tri?

Started by sozzie
Views: 686 Posts: 6

2010-10-26 12:00 PM DanielG

Tri nightmares...had my first last night

Started by aggiecatcher
Views: 725 Posts: 9

2007-09-07 5:02 PM UndeadZed

First ride with the local tri shop group last night...PANT PANT

Started by fgump
Views: 1323 Posts: 12

2007-06-20 11:48 AM Sharkboy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.