General Discussion Triathlon Talk » newbie swim question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-25 7:40 PM

User image

Subject: newbie swim question
Hi, this is my first SPRINT tri (reverse tri). I am 48 yrs old, female, not athletic in younger years, but I been training for 4 weeks now. Also in previous months I did light exercises at the gym. The race is not until August 23rd. What motivated to join is I lost weight last year then I started gaining some of them when I stopped going to gym (got boring).

I'm slow swimmer (one minute per 25 yard) but I can do 600 yards non-stop. I want to improve.

Questions:

1) I breathe on both sides. When I take a breathe , I roll , not lift my head, with one arm extended. Do I keep my arm extended while breathing and then start the stroke when I put my face back under the water?

2) Does number 1 question affects swimming speed?

Thanks
Phebes

2014-06-25 8:35 PM
in reply to: Phebes

Subject: RE: newbie swim question

I would do a few things:

First, and probably most importantly, if lessons/swim coaching is something you can arrange, that will be the single best way to improve. It would be pretty difficult for someone to answer your question specifically without looking at what you are doing.

Secondly, there are some pretty knowledgeable people who check in here, so if you post a video of your swimming (check out the thread on that), you would get better answers.

Third, check out the swim smooth animation on the website, it is very clear and helpful. Also, go on You Tube and check out some swimming videos. Its hard to look at those, and translate them into what you do in the pool, but it helps, especially if you can arrange video of yourself for feedback.
2014-06-27 12:19 AM
in reply to: ImSore

User image

Originally posted by ImSore

I would do a few things:

First, and probably most importantly, if lessons/swim coaching is something you can arrange, that will be the single best way to improve. It would be pretty difficult for someone to answer your question specifically without looking at what you are doing.

Secondly, there are some pretty knowledgeable people who check in here, so if you post a video of your swimming (check out the thread on that), you would get better answers.

Third, check out the swim smooth animation on the website, it is very clear and helpful. Also, go on You Tube and check out some swimming videos. Its hard to look at those, and translate them into what you do in the pool, but it helps, especially if you can arrange video of yourself for feedback.

I did take a video of myself swimming the other day at a hotel pool, which I will try to post later. I will check YouTube.
2014-06-27 8:07 AM
in reply to: Phebes

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Rolling rather than lifting is good.  It takes a while for swimmers who lift to switch to rolling.  

If I read your question right, this is how you describe the sequence:
Push off the wall with both arms in front of you (You didn't say this, but I'm defining this as the "starting point.")  
Pull with your right arm, left arm still in front.  As your right hand gets to your hip, you're rolled over on your left side with your face out of the water on the right.  
You get a breath as your right arm comes forward out of the water.  (Bringing your arm forward is the "recovery.")
As your right hand enters the water, your face is back down in the water and you can start pulling with your left hand.  
As your left hand gets to your hip, you are rolled onto your right side with your face out of the water to the left.  
You get a breath as your left arm recovers.  
You're ready to repeat the right arm pull.  

If this is what you are doing, especially if you are "pausing" to get your breath, then it IS dramatically slowing you down.  

Try breathing only when your right arm comes out of the water.  You should find you still have plenty of oxygen.  You can also try breathing only when the left arm comes out of the water.  You'll find that you don't roll quite as much when you aren't breathing.  You'll also find that you aren't pausing.  When timed properly, you are pulling with your left arm while your right arm is recovering.  There is a slight "glide" after your hand enters the water and you reach forward to start the next pull.  There isn't any start-stop-start-stop.  

Kicking is important too.  You should have a 6-beat kick, 3 kicks while you pull on the right and 3 when you pull on the left.  If your legs sink, either your head position forces your legs down or your kick is ineffective.  

See if your pool offers adult lessons, either group or private.  

2014-06-27 12:30 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Originally posted by McFuzz

As your right hand gets to your hip, you're rolled over on your left side with your face out of the water on the right.  
You get a breath as your right arm comes forward out of the water.  (Bringing your arm forward is the "recovery.")
As your right hand enters the water, your face is back down in the water and you can start pulling with your left hand.  
As your left hand gets to your hip, you are rolled onto your right side with your face out of the water to the left.  
You get a breath as your left arm recovers.  
You're ready to repeat the right arm pull.  

I think this is what I'm doing. Here's the YouTube link of my swim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKzQCZOtu4M&feature=youtube_gdata

If this is what you are doing, especially if you are "pausing" to get your breath, then it IS dramatically slowing you down.

Try breathing only when your right arm comes out of the water. You should find you still have plenty of oxygen. You can also try breathing only when the left arm comes out of the water. You'll find that you don't roll quite as much when you aren't breathing. You'll also find that you aren't pausing. When timed properly, you are pulling with your left arm while your right arm is recovering. There is a slight "glide" after your hand enters the water and you reach forward to start the next pull. There isn't any start-stop-start-stop.

Kicking is important too. You should have a 6-beat kick, 3 kicks while you pull on the right and 3 when you pull on the left. If your legs sink, either your head position forces your legs down or your kick is ineffective.

See if your pool offers adult lessons, either group or private.

I think I'm pausing so I don't run out breathe.

I thought rolling is necessary so that my belly button faces the wall most of the time (got this instruction from another youtube video).

I think I feel the glide.

I don't really know the kick beat I use. I just let my legs follow what the rest of my body is doing.

Today, I bent my arm during pull, per youtube video instructiom :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Eftbn3gwv8
I felt the scooping sensation which "pulled" me forward.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » newbie swim question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim times, stretching, and other silly newbie swim questions

Started by Omahabritt
Views: 1012 Posts: 8

2012-02-09 11:24 AM hessma

Newbie swim question

Started by whalers34
Views: 1146 Posts: 20

2007-04-04 12:16 PM kp41

Newbie swim question...

Started by TBZ
Views: 1180 Posts: 14

2006-08-01 5:26 AM OldDudeTRIn

Newbie swim question

Started by aubie6
Views: 560 Posts: 4

2006-07-18 10:46 PM Momida

newbie swimming questions

Started by DaveG
Views: 512 Posts: 2

2004-10-17 7:05 AM Rowdy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!

date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
comments : 1
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.
date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!