General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Go fast then go long... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-26 4:27 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: Go fast then go long...

Just something I've been thinking about lately, mainly spurred from a friend that is kind of doing this exact thing. Is one recipe better than the other for someone that ultimately wants to go fast and long, like World Champs fast? I'm sure there's a million variables that could affect the answer but let's generalize a bit. 

Personally, I could see a lot of validity on working to go fast (by fast I mean OA podiums at decent size events) on shorter distances (sprint, oly) before diving into longer stuff. I don't have any scientific justification for it, it just seems logical, especially when it seems most top tier to elites start with shorter stuff. But, perhaps that's just the normal route as you grow up so we hardly hear of anyone going from zero to the deep end and then after completing do they only work on honing speed?

What say the knowledgeable ones around here? 

2014-06-26 9:26 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Go fast then go long...

i think this view comes from the fact that the easy part is to build base. go long and go easy. they hard part is to build that speed and power while remaining injury free.  if you can do the hard part building the base is only a matter of time.

2014-06-26 9:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

I don't know at your age.  I'm watching the first graduates of the program we've been involved with and those that want to are pretty easily grabbing pro cards.  Their path was the one you asked about.....speed first...period.  And with that came a big dose of some really good genetics to get the ball rolling.  I'm talking sub 5 minute miles at 13-14 genetics.....along with AA - AAAA swim speed.  Can you back up the clock and build THAT kind of speed?  Those 13-14 year olds are now running sub 4:20 miles at 16-17.  They can breeze a 36-38 minute 10K training run on very few actual run training miles compared to older athletes....and they aren't racing it.  Still, their coaches won't let them race anything longer than a sprint tri, or a 5K.  Jr. has been pulled from his idea of Oly AG Nationals this year, for which he qualified, and put back to the sprint race.....coach basically said he's got more speed to build first.  I'm talking about a kid with a 57 minute sprint PR in a 750/20K/5K race.  Do I think people like him can run a World long course qualifying time at 25-30?  Of course, if they stay healthy.  Do I think you can do it starting at 30, or 35? Maybe.  So yeah, without question the premise is a good one.  I have no idea what the limiters are......but I know it starts with genetics. 

Edited by Left Brain 2014-06-26 9:30 PM
2014-06-26 10:09 PM

I think there's more than one way to skin a cat. 

I actually do not think for AGers, it's necessarily better to go short/fast first and then go long/slower.

It's just that the reality for most new triathletes is that sprints/olys are eminently doable from off-the couch, whereas HIM and IM are just too long for a first race after 12 weeks of training if you're off the couch. So naturally the newer folks go to the shorter distances.

But when we're talking about 'go fast' like junior development programs, we're talking speeds that most AGers will never achieve, and will likely never achieve even if they had optimal coaching and training. Asking someone with talent to go short/fast by developing to run 15 minute 5ks before going to the HM/marathon is very different than asking an average talent runner to even run 17:xx before going long - that average talent AGer might very well be better served by going long/slow earlier to build more volume and consistency and then getting true speed after that.

I had this very experience as a lousy HS x-country pure runner that plateaud at 20:xx for the next 10 years after that. Even with tons of speedwork, at 30mpw, I could only run 20:xx, and the variation from harder/more speedwork was like 10sec for that 5k. 

Then in my 30s, I decided to just 'go long', and signed up for a full marathon even though I had only run one HM 5 years prior to that, and was only running 25-28 mpw. With the much higher volume demands of marathon training (built up to 70+mpw over 2 years), I crushed all my PRs by a huge margin at all distances, inclduing 2+minutes on the 5k in my very first 5k during serious marathon training. It would have been futile to ask me to run 17:xx on 30mpw no matter what I did, but it was eminently doable on 70+mpw (with speedwork sprinkled in a la Pfitiznger's programs.)

2014-06-26 10:16 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro

Here's something else to consider bigb......at least from my view as I watch the progression.  The pieces of a fast race are built separately.  A 2 month fast swim focus is done with very moderate to low bike and run miles.  A 3 month fast run focus is done with very moderate to low swim and bike miles.  A fast bike focus can carry higher swim and run mileage, but not close to what the distances were during those focuses.  The fast times in each event keep falling, and then wen put together to build a race none of them are a fast as they were during the focus, but it all becomes relative to a triathlon race.  Jr. is now spending quite a bit of time racing crits and bike TT's.  He came off of a 3 month track season where the focus was all on running fast.  As his bike speed and ability in a pack improves he laments the fact that "I bet I can't even get under 4:30 in a mile right now".....not thinking about the idea that last year 4:30 WAS his fast mile.  As track season progressed at the back end of a swim build that put him with sectional times, he complained that his 500 time was "probably over 5 minutes now"...and forgot that 5:07 WAS his fast 500 last year.  The result is a much faster triathlon race......and as soon as the season ends he will start over.  Maybe next year it will be, "geez, I bet I can't even run a 4:20 mile now that I'm biking so much......and so it goes.  The ONLY time he works on the technical aspects of a race that is swim/bike/run is for the 3 months he is racing them......the other 9 months is about building fast pieces. 

It's really interesting to watch......and actually ends up being much less work/time than you are probably spending trying to concentrate on all three.at once.

2014-06-26 10:23 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Pro

Originally posted by yazmaster

I think there's more than one way to skin a cat. 

I actually do not think for AGers, it's necessarily better to go short/fast first and then go long/slower.

It's just that the reality for most new triathletes is that sprints/olys are eminently doable from off-the couch, whereas HIM and IM are just too long for a first race after 12 weeks of training if you're off the couch. So naturally the newer folks go to the shorter distances.

But when we're talking about 'go fast' like junior development programs, we're talking speeds that most AGers will never achieve, and will likely never achieve even if they had optimal coaching and training. Asking someone with talent to go short/fast by developing to run 15 minute 5ks before going to the HM/marathon is very different than asking an average talent runner to even run 17:xx before going long - that average talent AGer might very well be better served by going long/slow earlier to build more volume and consistency and then getting true speed after that.

I had this very experience as a lousy HS x-country pure runner that plateaud at 20:xx for the next 10 years after that. Even with tons of speedwork, at 30mpw, I could only run 20:xx, and the variation from harder/more speedwork was like 10sec for that 5k. 

Then in my 30s, I decided to just 'go long', and signed up for a full marathon even though I had only run one HM 5 years prior to that, and was only running 25-28 mpw. With the much higher volume demands of marathon training (built up to 70+mpw over 2 years), I crushed all my PRs by a huge margin at all distances, inclduing 2+minutes on the 5k in my very first 5k during serious marathon training. It would have been futile to ask me to run 17:xx on 30mpw no matter what I did, but it was eminently doable on 70+mpw (with speedwork sprinkled in a la Pfitiznger's programs.)

There is obviously merit there. 

Somewhere genetics gets thrown into the mix......and at that point I don't know where age becomes a limiter...although it certainly must/does. (coming from someone who used to be pretty fast and no longer is

Nobody can do what bigb is asking about without a VERY solid base....so those miles you talk about have to be there to some degree.....again, I'm not sure where it all intersects in what is actually needed, although I'd venture a guess there is a wide variance among all of us.

2014-06-27 1:34 AM
in reply to: #5018068

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Great discussion so far. I'll have more to add when I'm in front of a keyboard but for now I think I should add (and should have at the outset) that by go fast then go long I was by no way advocating low volume and high intensity. Merely put in the volume but hone the speed first, then build the endurance.

Enjoy these discussions so thanks for the input. I'll extrapolate more tomorrow.
2014-06-27 5:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I assume your ultimate goal is to be the best at long distance ?

I think you can look at all the things you could build ie

Your VO2max
Your ability to hold a large % of VO2max for long period of time (threshold)
Your efficiency (ie pace or power at VO2max)
Your metabolic efficiency
Strength
Ability to develop above without hurting yourself

• Then look at how important each is at the distance you plan to race.
    Look where you are strong and weak. Look at a time frame you want to achieve it.
    Then pick a mix of training to develop each

2014-06-27 8:49 AM

User image

Miami
    I think it also depends on when you start. I was never a swimmer nor a runner (I have some mountain bike background) and I did my first tri in my late 20s.

Had I started with speed first, I would have probably ended injuring myself. I've worked for 2 years on building a base as well as learning the proper running and swimming techniques. I put quite a bit of volume, especially this year with 14 to 20+ hour weeks and never got injured. After this season ends, I am planning on working on speed, now that I know that my body can handle a large workload and that I am confident with my running technique (still working on my swimming). I don't think I will ever be World Champ fast, I already podium in sprint/Oly local races, but I am hoping to be more competitive in long course.
    2014-06-27 9:53 AM

User image

Champion
    Tacoma, Washington

The only problem I see with the long-first-then-fast approach is that form may need to change along the way in order to get fast.

I see so many people use the excuse of "I'm a long distance X'er" for their bad form (whether it's swim, run, whatever). Okay, but what happens when you want to go fast? That poor form is going to become the limiter in your speed. Changing that form up while trying to maintain the endurance for long-distance racing is a HUGE load of stress on the body that is likely to push it over the edge into injury.

I'm a proponent of the fast-first camp.

2014-06-27 11:02 AM

User image

Master
    Guilford, CT
    Originally posted by thebigb

Great discussion so far. I'll have more to add when I'm in front of a keyboard but for now I think I should add (and should have at the outset) that by go fast then go long I was by no way advocating low volume and high intensity. Merely put in the volume but hone the speed first, then build the endurance.

Enjoy these discussions so thanks for the input. I'll extrapolate more tomorrow.

I'm not that fast but was getting a lot quicker when I focused for awhile a couple years ago before changing to just biking recently. I was getting fat and then just sort of jumped up to long right away because it seemed cool to me at the time and it was fun...

That being said, some of the guys I know around here did what you describe and spent a couple years training to smash sprints and Olys...when they jumped up to 70.3, they'd hammer out 4:30-4:40 on their first try which is pretty good a lot faster than average. Their swims were really good from the Oly training so they didn't need much work to swim and just needed to get the bike up a bit.

I also understand what you are saying though on 'hone' the speed and I think that is getting lost a bit here. They were still training 12 hours a week (or whatever it was depending the time of year)...it was just a little different. It wasn't 'oh I'm doing sprints and training 6 hours a week'...

2014-06-27 12:10 PM
    in reply to: JAYCT

User image

Expert
    Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by JAYCT
    Originally posted by thebigb Great discussion so far. I'll have more to add when I'm in front of a keyboard but for now I think I should add (and should have at the outset) that by go fast then go long I was by no way advocating low volume and high intensity. Merely put in the volume but hone the speed first, then build the endurance. Enjoy these discussions so thanks for the input. I'll extrapolate more tomorrow.
    I'm not that fast but was getting a lot quicker when I focused for awhile a couple years ago before changing to just biking recently. I was getting fat and then just sort of jumped up to long right away because it seemed cool to me at the time and it was fun... That being said, some of the guys I know around here did what you describe and spent a couple years training to smash sprints and Olys...when they jumped up to 70.3, they'd hammer out 4:30-4:40 on their first try which is pretty good a lot faster than average. Their swims were really good from the Oly training so they didn't need much work to swim and just needed to get the bike up a bit. I also understand what you are saying though on 'hone' the speed and I think that is getting lost a bit here. They were still training 12 hours a week (or whatever it was depending the time of year)...it was just a little different. It wasn't 'oh I'm doing sprints and training 6 hours a week'...

Yeah, we're on a similar thought page. I'm not suggesting someone run only 20 miles a week and make 80% of them hard runs. Volume is going to be fairly similar across the board, regardless of event distance. Just what is done within that volume is going to be a bit different. The short distance guy is probably, I'd guess, going to spend more work building VO2 Max, threshold sets, etc whereas the go long camp is probably spending most their time in LSD type stuff. Obviously, the run gets a bit tricky because there still has to be a balance of easy to limit injury but I'd suspect a lot more intensity in the bike (especially) and the swim. 

2014-06-27 2:10 PM

User image

New user
    penticton
    it would be a long reply to explain the why but it s very simple

speed first...going long is the easy parts.

not the other way around..... going long kill your speed.

new athletes to the sport should focus on speed and technic. And working with a proper group or coach will kept you away from injury. Speed dosnt equal injury unless done poorly.
    2014-06-28 8:49 AM
    in reply to: jonnyo

New user

Originally posted by jonnyo

it would be a long reply to explain the why but it s very simple

speed first...going long is the easy parts.

not the other way around..... going long kill your speed.

new athletes to the sport should focus on speed and technic. And working with a proper group or coach will kept you away from injury. Speed dosnt equal injury unless done poorly.

I am in my second full year of racing and have done just that. I resisted signing up for my first Oly until I was confident I could do it in under 3 hours. I ran it in 2:51 and it was the best race I ran so far. I am planning to run that same race this year and want to knock another 10 minutes off!! My next goal is a HIM in which I wont sgn up for until I can do it in under 6 hours. To me its not about the speed, in the longer distance stuff I just dont want to be out there all day and doing a death march on the run.
    2014-06-28 5:10 PM
    in reply to: jonnyo

User image

Pro
    Originally posted by jonnyoit would be a long reply to explain the why but it s very simplespeed first...going long is the easy parts. not the other way around..... going long kill your speed. new athletes to the sport should focus on speed and technic. And working with a proper group or coach will kept you away from injury. Speed dosnt equal injury unless done poorly.
    Something so simple is pretty easily misunderstood by most.
    2014-06-28 5:56 PM
    in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by jonnyoit would be a long reply to explain the why but it s very simplespeed first...going long is the easy parts. not the other way around..... going long kill your speed. new athletes to the sport should focus on speed and technic. And working with a proper group or coach will kept you away from injury. Speed dosnt equal injury unless done poorly.
    Something so simple is pretty easily misunderstood by most.

the more contentious issue is how to get fast, not the need to get fast

2014-06-28 6:41 PM
    in reply to: marcag

Subject: ...
    This user's post has been ignored.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Go fast then go long... Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

You are not going fast enough until you feel like your going to puke

Started by jetsers
    Views: 1104 Posts: 6

2013-05-06 10:11 AM jetsers

Get faster at short course or go long?

Started by Flying Kiwi
    Views: 980 Posts: 4

2012-10-22 2:14 PM sevrdhed

Once you go long, you can't go fast

Started by DerekWL
    Views: 1651 Posts: 9

2008-10-27 11:56 AM ScottyBoy

safer to go fast or go long?

Started by tkbslc
    Views: 1048 Posts: 6

2007-03-16 10:16 AM doubleplay

Go long or go fast?

Started by CBarnes
    Views: 1150 Posts: 24

2006-09-28 6:01 PM drdi
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : September 23, 2013
    author : Jerrykyc
    comments : 2
    The cause of the sleeplessness could be anxiety to get out and compete but more often than not the inability to sleep is a fear of what might happen, of what might go bump out on the race course.

date : November 24, 2012
    author : Scott Tinley
    comments : 0
    Do I swim an extra 1000 yards or show up on time to my son’s soccer game? Those small decisions become larger components in this emo/physio battle of decision and will. "Should I go pro?"
    date : November 14, 2012
    author : IndoIronYanti
    Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.

date : February 10, 2011
    author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
    The backstory of becoming a pro, joining a team and working with sponsors
    date : March 9, 2010
    author : Nancy Clark
    "I'm 'good' at breakfast and lunch, but after I get home from the gym at night, I end up devouring everything in sight. On weekends, my eating is even crazier." Sound familiar?

date : April 22, 2009
    author : AMSSM
    comments : 1
    I got a new pair of the same size / brand of shoes and started running on them. On my left foot, the toe next to the big toe starts to get a little painful and goes numb after the first 1-3 miles.
    date : May 30, 2008
    author : Coach AJ
    Discussions on race day butterflies, long Ironman training bricks, training in the heat, hydration, going hard in a short race, and hammering the swim.

date : April 14, 2008
    author : FitWerx
    comments : 1
    The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.