General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sick with Bronchitis...again! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-01 4:13 PM

New user

Park City
Subject: Sick with Bronchitis...again!
Last year I trained for a year for Ironman Lake Tahoe. A week before the race I came down with bronchitis. I was still planning on doing the race and if it meant going to the ER after...so be it! Unfortunately, with all the rough conditions of the race and of course, coughing like crazy, I decided it was probably not a good idea to do the race. I was pretty upset, but I decided that I needed to sign up for another - Ironman Boulder. The race is less than 5 weeks away and again, I have bronchitis!!! Not sure what to do. Last couple of weeks were tough because of a knee injury. I didn't stop training, I just went light. I feel like I'm behind b/c of the knee injury and now that I'm sick, it's going to set me back even more. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? I do have a coach and she's being optimistic, but since it's my 1st Ironman I'm not sure how to be as optimistic.

2014-07-01 7:08 PM
in reply to: #5020243

Subject: RE: Sick with Bronchitis...again!
Not a doc at all, but in the peak of some of my prior training for marathons I've had bronchitis. Last time Doc prescribed an antibiotic plus 5 days of prednisone for reducing the inflammation in my lungs.The prednisone worked like a champ to help me though the cough. Another benefit is that it reduces inflammation elsewhere as well. Prednisone is an oral steroid, but I wouldn't consider this doping at all...

There are side effects so talk w your doc about this, but they weren't bad for kiling the cough. I avoid medicine if at all possible, but this really did the trick. Good luck...I hope it works out well.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sick with Bronchitis...again! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Running and training again after 5 weeks of being sick

Started by slonce5
Views: 783 Posts: 5

2013-04-07 4:26 PM blynott

Sick of being sick!

Started by triscott26
Views: 1154 Posts: 9

2010-01-31 1:53 PM FLiP129

Sick..... Again

Started by supa-powa
Views: 1315 Posts: 7

2008-09-28 11:11 PM graceful_dave

I'm sick and sick of it !!

Started by troydorsey835
Views: 1374 Posts: 12

2005-02-24 3:14 AM easablade

bronchitis

Started by hils
Views: 678 Posts: 5

2004-05-31 12:09 PM Whit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 19, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
While regular and moderate exercise such as light jogging has been shown to boost immune system function, more vigorous exercise can suppress the immune system.

date : February 13, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.