Saint-Lambert, Quebec
Canada
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 35m 32s
Overall Rank = 149/218
Age Group = W35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/12
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5 am, packed up and had breakfast : Kashi Go lean protein cereals + chia seeds, raspberries and blueberries, coffee to go but I did not feel like drinking coffee this morning!
Got to race site a bit later than anticipated. Found tri club tent, changed into trisuit and immediately went to spot transition ins and outs.
Event warmup:

A bit of stretching and I had only time to do 2 lengths in the pool as warmup. Am glad I did that, water was a bit cool.
Swim
  • 16m 26s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

Seeded myself in the 15-20 min wave, but they ended up combining the 15-20 min and the 20+ min waves together (only 3 waves total for women). We were 3 swimmers in the lane and I lapped the other 2 swimmers twice. Got into a rhythm and breathing was good, was focusing on good technique. Underwater I was seeing people walk, as it was in a shallow pool. Happy to report I swam the whole way :) Also I am down to around 2:00/100m (2:30/100m last season) I was 2nd out of the water, woot!
What would you do differently?:

Too conservative in my pace I think. I am not good at starting fast, esp. with no warmup, but next time I'll try to go a little faster and see how it goes. At that pace today I felt I could have continued swimming all day... But no, my favourite is coming next : the bike!
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

Good run from pool to rack. When I took my bike off the rack I knocked over my neighboor's helmet. I did want to turn back and fix my mess, but a nice volunteer shouted : Go ahead I'm taking care of this!!! Love the volunteers!

I ran with my shoes the best I could, and fumbled a little to mount bike and start. I need to practice doing this faster.
Bike
  • 42m 35s
  • 21.4 kms
  • 30.15 km/hr
Comments:

6-loops course, totally flat but with lots of turns. Had 1 bottle of water+cytomax (weak mix, drank maybe1/4 of it) + 1 bottle of water (only 1 sip). Liquid intake was perfect as it was still overcast and cool. Perfect temps to race in my opinion!
HR was a little high as I began, but settled into a good rhythm and pushed at a confortable clip. That pace proved to be good for the following run. Finished fresh. Yay me :)

I had taped 1 gel to my top tube. Note to self for the future : DO NOT tape gel to tube. Buy bento box and put gel in it. Let's just say I never got to taste that salty caramel gu I was looking forward to... lost it somewhere during 3rd loop.
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Good transition. Got the bike shoes off and run shoes on quick. Grabbed cap and belt and put them on while running.

Learn how to ride with feet on top of shoes and get off bike faster, instead of stopping completely.
Run
  • 32m 24s
  • 5.34 kms
  • 06m 04s  min/km
Comments:

2-loops course, flat. The run is my nemesis. I started a bit too fast and paid for it at the 3km mark. Was focusing on good breathing and short strides. Was able to sprint to the finish.

Considering my current run fitness, this is a great result for me. In fact this is one of my best 5ish-k runs (tri or standalone). So I am happy with that. But I was last in my AG for the run (5th after swim and 4th after bike) so this is definitely my beast to conquer.
So GOOD run (for me) but BELOW AVERAGE vs my AG.
Post race
Warm down:

Little bit of stretching, but mostly walked around to cheer my fellow tri club members still on course. Had water and lunch soon after.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

In the swim, stuck behind slower swimmers in the lane but mostly too confortable a pace for a sprint. Bike, held back a little in view of the DREADED run. Run, just the lack of run speed and I think I am just afraid to suffer on the run. I could push more.

Event comments:

I prefer open water tris, but I enjoyed this one a lot. I did not get to stay for post-race activities but this organization was top-notch for a small event, very welcoming to beginners. Will be back next year to PR this one!!!!

Last updated: 2014-07-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:26 | 750 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/12
Overall: 128/218
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:34
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:35 | 21.4 kms | 30.15 km/hr
Age Group: 4/12
Overall: 117/218
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 79
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:32:24 | 05.34 kms | 06m 04s  min/km
Age Group: 12/12
Overall: 176/218
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-07-07 12:11 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Tri Saint-Lambert - Sprint

2014-07-07 3:12 PM
in reply to: #5022478

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: RE: Tri Saint-Lambert - Sprint
Isabelle

Good job on the sprint, i never been to a swim focus sprint , you pulled it off well. Great preparation for your Oly.

Again Congrats!!!!

2014-07-07 3:27 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

Looks like a fine job all the way around! Way to go Isabelle!

2014-07-08 5:17 AM
in reply to: Dennis B

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Wow, you lapped people on the swim and then turned in that speedy performance on a course with a lot of turns! I admire you. Congrats on a great race and a big PR.
2014-07-08 5:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Congrats Isabella! For the GU issue, maybe consider a biking shirt for future events...they have pockets in the back. I suspect that GU may have helped you at the 3K mark of the run

Edited by medeiros13 2014-07-08 5:51 AM
2014-07-14 10:13 AM
in reply to: medeiros13

Blairstown, NJ
Isabella, Sound like great fun. Do you usually use GU on the bike? The one time I tried, it was a sticky mess. Congrats on finishing strong!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Saint-Lambert - Sprint Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Duathlon sprint St-Lambert

Started by etccallhome82
Views: 1233 Posts: 3

2009-07-19 1:29 PM etccallhome82

triathlon de st-lambert

Started by chipit muffin
Views: 1606 Posts: 5

2008-07-15 9:39 AM Vaiza

Triathlon St. Lambert

Started by Opus
Views: 1433 Posts: 1

2006-07-20 4:14 PM Opus

Triathlon Boutique Courir St-Lambert

Started by sauna66
Views: 1600 Posts: 2

2006-07-19 8:45 AM Opus

Triathlon St. Lambert

Started by bismuthine
Views: 1230 Posts: 1

2006-07-16 5:13 PM bismuthine
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 21, 2011
author : etra77
comments : 0
Aunt and Nephew do their first Sprint Triathlon together

date : July 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm doing the 22 week sprint tri program and the 2 mile bike ride it starts with is not very challenging. I see this as a opportunity to train the right way and challenge myself. Any ideas?
date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : December 19, 2006
author : Team BT
Tri Benbrook Sprint 2006 provided by JeepFleeb
date : January 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Should I have time goals for the first sprint? Should I just finish the race at a reasonable pace? I'm not sure how to approach this.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.