General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm starting to lean back towards a TT over a road bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2014-07-10 2:11 PM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: I'm starting to lean back towards a TT over a road bike
I have done my first two sprints on a MTB & I plan to do two more on the same bike. It sucks, but it's all I have. I'm planning to get fitted in the fall & I was going to get a road bike to do some olympics next year. Then I would pick up a TT bike next year to step up to HIM distances. I know the Road vs Tri bike conversation is a hot button (and some say with no true answer), but I'm starting to rethink my plan.

I am not a cyclist, I'm a runner. I enjoy the cycling part of triathlons, but I know that it will never be something that I will do exclusively. Going on a bike ride in the mountains or a group ride isn't something that really interests me. I tend to train alone 99.9% of the time & there is a fantastic flat trail next to my house that runs from Atlanta all the way to Alabama (Silver Comet Trail). Plus, I would never use my race bike as a commuter of any kind.

For all those reasons, I see no need to invest in a road bike first when my ultimate goal is to get on a tri bike. I would rather invest the money into a really good TT instead of spreading that money across two bikes. I'm sure that at some point I could pick up a cheap roadie off craigslist if I really needed/wanted one, but if I'm going to invest in a bike, especially a quality new bike, it may as well be a bike made for what I will primarily use it for.

Thoughts?

2014-07-10 2:21 PM
in reply to: Meathead

User image

Subject: RE: I'm starting to lean back towards a TT over a road bike

A TT bike sounds fine for your intended uses.  

That said, and this is just my opinion...your intended uses are probably why cycling doesn't interest you.  Just sayin...I'd be bored out of my mind too if all I did was ride flat trails by myself.

2014-07-10 2:33 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Originally posted by Jason N

That said, and this is just my opinion...your intended uses are probably why cycling doesn't interest you.  Just sayin...I'd be bored out of my mind too if all I did was ride flat trails by myself.

Yep. If all I did was ride a flat trail (and there is one fairly close to my house), I know I would ride a whole lot less than I do. Along with that, if all I had was a tri bike, I'd also ride less than I do...

2014-07-10 2:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
A TT bike sounds fine for your intended uses.  

Fair statement, but I have always preferred solo training. I find it relaxing & I do a lot of introspection on my runs. I never listen to music, just what's in my head. The only outside focus I have is on my training plan.

You are nowhere near the first to say to me that they would be bored to do that all the time. Personally, I love it & would feel awkward sharing that time with others.

Edited by Meathead 2014-07-10 2:38 PM
2014-07-10 2:41 PM

User image

Exton, PA
99.9% of the time you train alone. this is why group rides do not interest you. you probably have never experience them.

I don't know of a single person ever getting into a group ride(at there ability) and saying " this sucks, I'd rather train alone"

The difference between that really good tri bike and the entry level tri bike is probably less than a 1 minute in a 40K ride.
2014-07-10 2:51 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Originally posted by mike761
99.9% of the time you train alone. this is why group rides do not interest you. you probably have never experience them.

To be fair, I do all my riding in my basement on a trainer right now because I am on a MTB with road slicks. I'm not going to go join a group ride with a bunch of people on roadies while I am on a 20 year old MTB sucking wind at the back of the pack.

It's also a timing thing. A big part of why I do my training alone is because of my schedule. My training is transparent to my family. I do it early in the morning or at lunch (swam 2000 yards at lunch today & ran 6 miles at 5AM yesterday). I don't have the time to take a few hours to meet up with a group of people & go for a ride.

Would I probably like it? Sure. Do I realistically see it as something I would do? Not at the present time.

2014-07-10 2:56 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mike761 99.9% of the time you train alone. this is why group rides do not interest you. you probably have never experience them. I don't know of a single person ever getting into a group ride(at there ability) and saying " this sucks, I'd rather train alone" The difference between that really good tri bike and the entry level tri bike is probably less than a 1 minute in a 40K ride.

Hello, I have, and did so.

2014-07-10 3:01 PM
in reply to: #5024068

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
You really will need to do your training on a TT bike if you want to race on it. Will you be able to use the TT bike on the trail?
2014-07-10 3:04 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by mike761 99.9% of the time you train alone. this is why group rides do not interest you. you probably have never experience them. I don't know of a single person ever getting into a group ride(at there ability) and saying " this sucks, I'd rather train alone" The difference between that really good tri bike and the entry level tri bike is probably less than a 1 minute in a 40K ride.

Well...it's not really a group ride if you drop the group.  

2014-07-10 3:08 PM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Meathead

To be fair, I do all my riding in my basement on a trainer right now because I am on a MTB with road slicks. I'm not going to go join a group ride with a bunch of people on roadies while I am on a 20 year old MTB sucking wind at the back of the pack.

It's also a timing thing. A big part of why I do my training alone is because of my schedule. My training is transparent to my family. I do it early in the morning or at lunch (swam 2000 yards at lunch today & ran 6 miles at 5AM yesterday). I don't have the time to take a few hours to meet up with a group of people & go for a ride.

Would I probably like it? Sure. Do I realistically see it as something I would do? Not at the present time.

Totally understand, so maybe you hold off on the road bike. Have you ever put any miles on a road bike or a tri bike? Going from a MTB to a road bike is a big transition for most, going straight to a tri bike is even more.

Just throwing info out to you. Remember spending the extra money on a nicer tri bike will most likely gain you almost nothing. I understand if you are close to podiums the nicer bike could get you there. Also if you got money to burn and that what you want, go for it. Otherwise get more on the entry level tri bike, hold onto your money and once you have been riding a little decide what add-ons you might want for that bike(race wheels, hydration setup, power meter, etc...)
2014-07-10 3:13 PM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Originally posted by GODAWGS
You really will need to do your training on a TT bike if you want to race on it. Will you be able to use the TT bike on the trail?

Absolutely. The trail I would use has TT bikes on it all the time.

2014-07-10 3:26 PM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Totally understand, so maybe you hold off on the road bike. Have you ever put any miles on a road bike or a tri bike? Going from a MTB to a road bike is a big transition for most, going straight to a tri bike is even more.

Just throwing info out to you. Remember spending the extra money on a nicer tri bike will most likely gain you almost nothing. I understand if you are close to podiums the nicer bike could get you there. Also if you got money to burn and that what you want, go for it. Otherwise get more on the entry level tri bike, hold onto your money and once you have been riding a little decide what add-ons you might want for that bike(race wheels, hydration setup, power meter, etc...)

Thanks, and for the record, I'm not being defensive towards the pro-roadie folks. Just offering up my side of the decision making process. I'm not anti-cycling as much as I am very pro-running & swimming.

I have never owned a road or tri bike, so there would be a massive learning curve with both. Looking at the shifters on today's road bikes is like someone who has always driven an automatic being tossed the keys to a stick shift car! I don't know the first thing about how you change gears with today's groupsets.

And we are almost of a like mind on the level of bike I am looking at. My standards are pretty simple: all carbon & Ultegra grade components. That puts me in about a mid-grade bike category. I'm not looking to go out & buy a P5 with 808s & Di2 shifting, but I also want a bike that I will look at a year down the road & still feel I made the right choice, so an entry level bike with 105 or less would end up costing me more in the long run as I would want to replace it almost immediately. That rule applies to whichever bike I buy, road or tri.
2014-07-10 3:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I started on a road bike, got in an accident with a truck (the truck won...) that totaled my road bike.  I went back and forth about road vs tri bike when I was ready to replace it and buying the tri bike won out.  It is a decision I've never regretted. 

A couple years later I'm considering getting a road bike, but still haven't pulled the trigger.  I ride with a group of triathletes, so I still ride with people, but I get to do it on my tri bike.  Best of both worlds for me.

2014-07-10 3:46 PM

, Wisconsin
From every thing you've said, I think the tri bike you describe makes sense. However, just to throw out an idea . . . You're in a big metro area so I'd think there would be lots of Craigslist options on used road bikes in the $300-$500 range. As long as it fits, it would be a HUGE immediate improvement over you MT bike and a way to begin to get used to a more dropped position as well as shifting and handling the increased speed. Ride it for a few months, do a tri or two on it. I think you'll be gassed by how much better you'll do than on the MT bike. And, you'll pick up skills and have a backup/raining day etc trainer for when you do get your tri bike. This strategy will also get you a big improvement you can start using ASAP and take your time picking just the right tri bike that maybe also happens to be on a big sale or such . . .
2014-07-10 3:55 PM
in reply to: MikeD1

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Originally posted by MikeD1
From every thing you've said, I think the tri bike you describe makes sense. However, just to throw out an idea . . . You're in a big metro area so I'd think there would be lots of Craigslist options on used road bikes in the $300-$500 range. As long as it fits, it would be a HUGE immediate improvement over you MT bike and a way to begin to get used to a more dropped position as well as shifting and handling the increased speed. Ride it for a few months, do a tri or two on it. I think you'll be gassed by how much better you'll do than on the MT bike. And, you'll pick up skills and have a backup/raining day etc trainer for when you do get your tri bike. This strategy will also get you a big improvement you can start using ASAP and take your time picking just the right tri bike that maybe also happens to be on a big sale or such . . .

CL has been hit or miss in Atlanta lately. There are a few road bike options out there for under $1000, and I have almost pulled the trigger a few times. It's still an option, but unless the right bike pops up in the next few weeks, it may be a moot point as my last tri this year is in early September & I wouldn't want to do a race on a bike I wasn't fully comfortable or familiar with.
2014-07-10 6:57 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Your training situation sounds a lot like mine. I do a lot of my biking on the trainer due to family. I have both a road bike and tri bike but I use my tri bike about 90% of the time. If I could only have one bike it would be my tri bike.

2014-07-10 7:04 PM

User image

If I weren't that into cycling, I'd go TT.  That's how I initially went.   Then I got into cycling more, and bought a roadie, then bought another one this year that I love.  I love all my bikes now 

But back to your point    for now I think TT's the way to go

2014-07-10 8:03 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Originally posted by ChrisM

But back to your point    for now I think TT's the way to go

Yes...and the rules dictate that you have to buy another bike after that anyway...so plenty of room for a roadie later.

2014-07-11 7:32 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by brigby1

Well...it's not really a group ride if you drop the group.  

That has actually never happened.

I lean towards just getting the tri bike here as well. I've only used the tri bike for the last couple years and had a heavy percentage of time on it the couple before that. I'm only using the road bike now because of a snafu in getting a new tri bike. I do get into group rides every now and then (maybe a couple times a year?), but a very large percent of the time I'm on my own. The groups are also tri bike friendly. The bike events I do are as well.

2014-07-11 7:46 AM

User image

Exton, PA
you probably would not be able to tell the difference between 105's and Ultegra's if they were not marked. Today's 105's are trickle down tech, probably comparable to Dura ace of 2009 or 2010? Just something to keep in mind while shopping
2014-07-11 11:12 AM

User image

Originally posted by mike761 you probably would not be able to tell the difference between 105's and Ultegra's if they were not marked. Today's 105's are trickle down tech, probably comparable to Dura ace of 2009 or 2010? Just something to keep in mind while shopping

Very true.  105 and/or Rival is high quality.  Especially for a tri bike where the minor differences in shift quality aren't as apparent as they are on a road bike.  Both have already recently released their 11 speed versions which should start showing up on new bikes next year. 

2014-07-11 11:17 AM

User image

Originally posted by mike761 you probably would not be able to tell the difference between 105's and Ultegra's if they were not marked. Today's 105's are trickle down tech, probably comparable to Dura ace of 2009 or 2010? Just something to keep in mind while shopping

Very true.  105 and/or Rival is high quality.  Especially for a tri bike where the minor differences in shift quality aren't as apparent as they are on a road bike.  Both have already recently released their 11 speed versions which should start showing up on new bikes next year. 

I'll go one better, I bought a 105 equipped BMC TT last year, which actually meant a tiagra front derailleur (shudder).  I meant to replace it, but never got to it, and you know what?  Works just fine..... 

2014-07-11 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

My first bike was a $700 Trek, very entry level, alum with carbon fork and seatpost, Tiagra components, etc. I rode that bike for a few years, did my first two tris on it, then decided I wanted to step up to HIM distance and thus justified a new bike (in my head, not reality ). 

I had tried the clip on bars on my roadie was never happy with the fit, so I decided on a TT bike. Bought my Cervelo P2C in 2009 and absolutely loved it. I rode the TT bike almost exclusively from then on as it was just a much better bike, full carbon, Ultegra, etc. I eventually upgraded my roadie to full carbon and 105's. I would say my riding changed to 25% roadie and 75% TT bike at that point.

Up until last summer I never rode in a group, always by myself so the TT bike worked just fine for me. I honestly didn't really need a roadie during this time, I just wanted one and got a good deal so I bought it (made the wife real happy). Last summer a new LBS opened up in my town and offered Wednesday and Saturday rides. I jumped into the group ride fray last year and after the first few times of getting dropped like a bad habit I got things figured out and I absolutely love group riding. I have made some good friends, had a ton of fun, and become a much better cyclist than I ever was on my own. The best way to get better at something is to try to keep up with someone who is much better than you. 

Anyway, last summer was all roadie, never touched the TT bike. This year I had an IM in June so I switched from roadie back to TT in March, rode the TT for most of this summer. My riding buddies are ok with me riding my TT bike with them, I keep a safe distance and take a lot of pulls when on the TT, so I still did a lot of group riding this Spring. The TT is not near as fun in the group as the roadie, it doesn't handle was well, it is a little harder to sprint hard on, and you can't draft real close in the paceline. Another not so fun aspect is your face is at everyone's butt level, hard to carry on a convo during warmup or cooldown. Now that my IM is done I will be going back to the roadie, just more fun in a group. Will use the TT for Tuesday night TT's and perhaps an Oly or too this summer.

If you really prefer to be alone or have to be alone due to schedule then yes, go with the TT bike, you can always pick up a cheap roadie later. There is a guy in my group that can put just about anyone in the hurt locker and he rides a 25 year old bike, you really don't have to have a high end bike.

I like your strategy on the level of bike too. Full carbon with at least Ultegra is a great way to go. My 2008 Cervelo P2C has full ultegra and it still works great, is plenty fast and I love it. No thoughts of upgrade on the horizon for that bike, it is still much faster than I am. I'd say you would be plenty happy with a bike on the level of the P2C from any brand for many years. I got some Zipp 404's for my TT bike this year and it became a whole nother animal, very fast and smooth.

2014-07-11 12:00 PM

User image

Expert
Broadlands

Originally posted by Meathead  I was going to get a road bike to do some olympics next year. Then I would pick up a TT bike next year to step up to HIM distances.

No reason you need to change from a road bike to do a HIM, lot of people on road bikes at the one I did recently.

Going on a bike ride in the mountains or a group ride isn't something that really interests me.

You can do both of these on a Tri bike anyway, so mute point.

Plus, I would never use my race bike as a commuter of any kind.

You say that now.....but wait until you have your Felt DA, you'll find any reason to ride that bad boy!!

I think the TT bike is the right move for you given what you've said.  No reason you can't use it on the odd occasion you get a group ride opportunity, or want to hit some hills.  (talk to the group first though before you rock up with the TT I know some can be funny from discussions on here, although I have never had an issue).

And the all important, the TT may not be a lot faster, but they darn sure LOOK a lot faster :-)

2014-07-11 12:41 PM
in reply to: GODAWGS

I have never been on the trail in question. But it appears to be a rails to trails those usually have speed limits of 10, 12, 15 or 20 mph. Other than the 20 they are not really training speeds. Reading the 2nd link sections are 10mph. You also have people roller blading, walking dogs, teaching kids to ride bikes, walking, running. They are not great places to train, you have too many people going much slower and not paying attention to you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Comet_Trail
http://www.bikesilvercomet.com/
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm starting to lean back towards a TT over a road bike Rss Feed  

of 1

RELATED POSTS

Road bike vs TT/Tri bike

Started by bigspoon17
Views: 929 Posts: 3

2010-09-14 10:45 AM DanielG

difference in TT bike vs road bike

Started by triboy_20
Views: 1202 Posts: 4

2010-03-19 6:46 AM wee scotty

TT/Tri bike vs Road Bike

Started by summitbb
Views: 1144 Posts: 6

2010-03-15 11:35 AM Oldteen

TT Bike vs Road Bike Drafting

Started by jcbolton
Views: 3074 Posts: 6

2009-08-31 11:15 AM jcbolton

TT Bike vs Road bike tube shape?

Started by ezfast88
Views: 967 Posts: 5

2008-03-28 1:08 PM trophytaker
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.