General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMFL - Sleeveless or Full wetsuit? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-10 8:47 PM

Subject: IMFL - Sleeveless or Full wetsuit?
Just wanted to get everyone's opinion for wetsuit for Ironman-Florida. Full or Sleeveless? And, why?

2014-07-11 5:31 AM
in reply to: Glenyan

User image

Subject: RE: IMFL - Sleeveless or Full wetsuit?
I wore a full sleeve and it was not even close to being too hot.

On the second lap, I swam through a swarm of jellyfish. Didn't touch any of them but I was REALLY glad my arms were covered, just in case .

But hey, it's up to you :D

2014-07-11 7:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

A full is the faster option.  Water temp is warm enough that a sleeveless would be fine but a good fitting sleeveless is always slower than a good fitting full.

2014-07-16 9:02 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

Thank you for the replies. I like my sleeveless better and feel more comfortable in it. However, I did an open water swim in the gulf while I was on vacation and had some issues with bare arms. It seemed that I was getting stung by something. Originally, I thought they were jellies, but I did not see any. When I got through with my swim, I had some sort of film on my arms. So, I'm back to undecided. I don't think the temperature is going to be an issue either way. It might have to be a game time decision. As of right now, I am leaning towards sleeveless for comfort. I think I will do some more open water swims in my full wetsuit during training to get more comfortable with it. If I can get comfort there, it will be an easy decision because I know it will be the faster option. Thanks for the replies!
2014-07-17 12:45 PM

User image

Veteran
I just ordered some swim sleeves to go with my sleeveless suit. Should add buoyancy and protect from jellies. I plan to try them out at an Olympic next month.
2014-07-17 2:36 PM
in reply to: weissjaz

User image

Elite

I can't speak of the race specifically, but I find in the IM distance that I would rather sacrifice a little bit of speed from the extra buoyancy for the freedom of movement when doing a 2.4 swim....good luck

2014-07-18 6:48 AM

Re the stings on your arms: it is possible that you swam through jellyfish larvae. I do alot of surfing and it is not uncommon for us to get feel the sings without seeing any jellyfish in the area. FYI the best thing that I have ever used to stop the sting from an encounter with jellyfish is called Jellyfish sting relief gel.

http://www.joediveramerica.com/page/JDA/PROD/medical-first-aid-supp...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMFL - Sleeveless or Full wetsuit? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wetsuits - full vs. sleeveless

Started by paTRIck
Views: 913 Posts: 6

2006-05-22 2:58 PM westfried

Full sleeve vs. sleeveless wetsuit

Started by ovspmike
Views: 2962 Posts: 10

2017-07-11 3:37 PM amills1210

Sleeveless vs full sleeve wetsuit?

Started by Rogillio
Views: 1776 Posts: 7

2006-02-26 9:53 PM Joe M

Wetsuit Closeout - $100 full/sleeveless ( xterra and IM ) Pages: 1 2

Started by coredump
Views: 3741 Posts: 36

2004-09-15 10:52 PM roxx

Sleeveless wetsuit or full?

Started by Angie
Views: 986 Posts: 7

2004-06-03 6:07 PM Eightman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 10, 2012
author : davesheanin
comments : 3
Iron distance, overheating and cramping in a fullsuit. Will a sleeveless or shorty wetsuit alleviate my cramping for this distance?

date : December 19, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
This suit is a mid temperature suit, well suited for a variety of temperatures. The price on this suit was on the higher side of the group tested, but the fit and performance is very good.
date : September 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.

date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
comments : 1
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.
date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.