General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sunscreen Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-14 9:53 AM

User image

New user
Philadelphia
Subject: Sunscreen
Ok, this probably seems like a silly problem to have but maybe my fair skinned (fellow gingers) have found a creative solution to applying sunscreen during a race. The last time I relied on the volunteer sunscreen schmears, I ended up with the worst sunburn in my adult life.

This weekend during my Oly tri, I applied waterproof / apply to wet skin sunscreen before the race, in T1 and T2. It was very sunny the entire race and despite taking time to slap more sunscreen on, I got bad sunburn on my back, shoulders, nose and what I call aero burn (top of arms, wrists, thumb ). I was PO'd that I wasted time in transition re-applying. I have a HIM around the corner and would like to get an idea of what other sunburn-prone friends are doing. Part of the problem might be that during the race I pour water on myself to keep cool, otherwise I overheat and feel sick.

My husband offered to quickly spray me down along the course, but I have a feeling that might be outside assistance or at least frowned upon.

Any tips or tricks would be helpful.

2014-07-14 9:56 AM
in reply to: NurseHeather

User image

Hereford, England
Subject: RE: Sunscreen
I use P20, it's a once a day, 10 hour protection. I'm in a car all day, and have my arm in the window sill in the sun. I haven't been burnt since using it. I even used it when I went to Mexico, and was great. You can get different factors too.
2014-07-14 10:15 AM
in reply to: Eucid

User image

Veteran
Denver area
Here's what I do - its worked for multiple IMs and HIMs.

Sunscreen: Planet Sun (or some other surfer-grade zinc oxide sunscreen)

night before the race - shower and apply sunscreen after the shower. This will get the sunscreen sucked into your pores

morning of the race - apply another layer of sunscreen. I also have a face stick which I have my husband use to get any areas that could be rubbed by my kit (shoulders, tramp stamp). Let it dry and you'll be good all day.

I also wear zoot cool wings (they're sleeves that also wrap around your back, like a bolero). They help cool me down AND provide excellent sun protection.
2014-07-14 11:44 AM
in reply to: mountain_erin

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Good advice above. I use bullfrog in the spray. I know the sunscreen experts frown on a spray because they are afraid you will inhale the aerosol but for petes sake I am single and I can't get those hard to reach places well!!  I am not a red head but I am pretty fair.  Bull frog never lets me down.  I spray before the swim and before body marking.  I am usually good to go for Oly or a sprint. For an IM I re-apply before the bike.  Spray is easy to apply esp on your neck.  I spray it into my hand to apply to my face. Squirt squirt you are done.  No pesky cream to rub in.  Most of the creams are too smelly for me and make me sneeze like crazy

2014-07-14 1:46 PM

User image

New user
Philadelphia
Great tips, thanks all.

I really like the idea of the cool wings, for the bike. My back and tops of my arms really seem to be cooking when I'm tucked into aero on the bike for a few hours. @MountainErin do you struggle to get the cool wings on in T1 when you are wet from the swim? Thanks
2014-07-14 3:56 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

For both of my Ironman races, I've switched to full bibs and a regular bike jersey in T1.  For Vineman, I also had arm sleeves that I wore on the bike and first half of the run.  I'll probably do the same for B2B this fall.  

I like the Bullfrog sunscreen as well, and will put that on my neck, ears, and face when I ride.  

2014-07-14 5:03 PM

User image

You might want to look at arm coolers and a short sleeve tri top (I have one made by tyr but I haven't tried raceing in it yet.) Bike gloves would also help somewhat with the areo burn.
2014-07-15 10:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver area
Originally posted by NurseHeather

Great tips, thanks all.

I really like the idea of the cool wings, for the bike. My back and tops of my arms really seem to be cooking when I'm tucked into aero on the bike for a few hours. @MountainErin do you struggle to get the cool wings on in T1 when you are wet from the swim? Thanks

It was a bit tricky to get them on (I had a 4+ min T1 time for the Boise 70.3), but I figure for the longer distances it is time well spent. I'm not sure I'd bother wrestling them on for an oly.
2014-07-15 10:45 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by mountain_erin
Originally posted by NurseHeather Great tips, thanks all. I really like the idea of the cool wings, for the bike. My back and tops of my arms really seem to be cooking when I'm tucked into aero on the bike for a few hours. @MountainErin do you struggle to get the cool wings on in T1 when you are wet from the swim? Thanks
It was a bit tricky to get them on (I had a 4+ min T1 time for the Boise 70.3), but I figure for the longer distances it is time well spent. I'm not sure I'd bother wrestling them on for an oly.

I never wear a tri kit for bike/run workouts because my shoulders/back burn... but with this it could be possible.  any advice on sizing?  the product is unisex and I typically wear a mens small in all things triathlon/cycling. 

2014-07-15 10:54 AM

Master
, California

Originally posted by NurseHeather Great tips, thanks all. I really like the idea of the cool wings, for the bike. My back and tops of my arms really seem to be cooking when I'm tucked into aero on the bike for a few hours. @MountainErin do you struggle to get the cool wings on in T1 when you are wet from the swim? Thanks

You can just wear those sleeves, or a long sleeved shirt / jersey under your wetsuit, if the race is wetsuit legal.  They dry out pretty quick on the bike.  See my avatar.

2014-07-15 10:59 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

There are a few things about sunscreen that a lot of people don't know about - I know I didn't until recently and I'm very fair and live in Florida, so sunscreen and I are friends!

First, and most surprisingly, reapplying doesn't let you stay in the sun longer.  The reapplication is only to maintain the effectiveness of the original application, it does not prolong the amount of time you can stay in the sun.  For example, if the sunscreen provides 180 minutes of protection and you reapply at 120 minutes you still only have 60 minutes left of protection.    

Most people use too little product.  For an average sized person it is recommended that you use 1 tsp per limb and half that amount for your face and neck.

Sunscreen takes about 20 minutes to soak into the skin and become effective.

To know how much time you should be protected, multiply the SPF number by 10, eg, SPF 30 provides 300 minutes of protection - but reapply often!!

2014-07-15 11:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
You may need one of those new full sleeve tops covers back and upper arms, then you could reapply to arms/hands only.
2014-07-15 12:56 PM
in reply to: taylorz13

User image

Veteran
One thing that sort of got me irked was after i got numbered I used a spray sunblock and it pretty much just smeared the whole thing. After that fiasco I've moved to a more lotion type sunblock and just apply a couple of hours before. Not sure what would happen if I tried to reapply over the numbers.
2014-07-15 12:58 PM
in reply to: FurnaceM3

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by FurnaceM3 One thing that sort of got me irked was after i got numbered I used a spray sunblock and it pretty much just smeared the whole thing. After that fiasco I've moved to a more lotion type sunblock and just apply a couple of hours before. Not sure what would happen if I tried to reapply over the numbers.

It would likely smudge it.

I was a body marking volunteer at Kona twice and when they were giving us the directions on how to apply the numbers, they said that if you make a mistake and want to remove it, use sunscreen.

2014-07-15 1:11 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Veteran
Denver area
Originally posted by Clempson

I never wear a tri kit for bike/run workouts because my shoulders/back burn... but with this it could be possible.  any advice on sizing?  the product is unisex and I typically wear a mens small in all things triathlon/cycling. 

I'd suggest contacting DeSoto directly for sizing. They're very helpful!
2014-07-15 1:18 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Neutrogena Sport 75 or 100 SPF works great for me - I use the cream on my face and the spray on my body. It's lasted me through 6 and 7-hour intensely sunny bike rides before. 

I also have a pair of the Cool Wings, those are really great. They feel fantastic when they are wet! In my last IM I had them in T2. I carried them for a bit and then pulled them on while running in the first mile - I didn't want to do it standing still - this worked out pretty well. I would have worn them on the bike but I had arm WARMERS for the first half. Yes warmers for the bike and coolers for the run!

2014-07-15 2:44 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

ordered some cool wings.  i had no idea such a thing even existed before this thread. 

2014-07-15 5:42 PM

User image

Not a silly problem at all! I got second degree burns at Eagleman 2009 and have been paranoid ever since. Clothing has been my answer- at different races I have used either the cool wings/bolero, a Craft long sleeved shirt (like UnderArmour Heat Gear), arm coolers, and compression socks/calf sleeves on my legs. See my profile pic. Any exposed skin gets lotion sunscreen in the am, then spray reapply at both transitions. I use the zinc oxide/titanium dioxide sunscreens because the avobenzone/oxybenzone ones stain the white fabrics badly. I used a Pearl Izumi bolero ONCE and it is all orange from the sunscreen.
2014-07-15 6:05 PM
in reply to: winsome

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I have also used an under armour heat gear long sleeved shirt under my tri shirt for long rides.  If nothing else it keeps the sun off my arms and back.  For some reason my legs never burn.  I have trouble with my face because I sweat so much. I put it on in the am before leaving for my ride to let it soak in

2014-07-16 9:15 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

New user
Philadelphia
Thank you knowledgeable triathletes! Ok, clearly I still have a ton to learn about this sport. But for now I have a new sunburn-free plan of attack.

I ordered cool wings to try out but I am also considering getting the cool wear sleeves to wear with a cycling jersey. Love the arm sleeves I wear for fall marathons and I bought them a little big b/c A. I have freak long arms and B. I wanted to pull them down over my hands a bit - so that would also help with my aero burn.

Also, I have found the helmets that have the detachable visor piece, really help shade your face (also extremely effective if you are riding in the rain).

Good luck to everyone with races coming up.
2014-07-16 11:08 AM

Arden, North Carolina
This may be a REALLY stupid question, but I'm going to ask. I'm thinking of buying these too, instead of arm coolers. At my last IM i put on a long sleeve shirt after the swim and it was really challenging to put it on due to being wet.
I'm racing IM louisville(ha, racing), so I wanted arm covers. First, how difficult is this to get on? Second, I'm planning to wear a one piece tri suit, would it be possible to wear this under the tri suit for the swim or is that a terrible idea? I just wondered how this will be trying to get on a wet body, and then worn over my tri suit.

2014-07-16 12:40 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I second Lisa's Neutrogena suggestion. Great for sensitive skin and it is all I use on my face. Like others, I am training in Florida, so sunscreen and arm coolers are important gear.

2014-07-16 1:38 PM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

If you're talking about the cool wings, I'm not sure how they would work under a tri suit. I suspect they would move around and bunch up. Try it in the pool (since you should do that anyways) and see if it works. I just used arm coolers for Lou, rolled them up my arms while riding out on the bike. Easy, but I practiced it beforehand.
2014-07-16 3:13 PM
in reply to: winsome

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by winsome

If you're talking about the cool wings, I'm not sure how they would work under a tri suit. I suspect they would move around and bunch up. Try it in the pool (since you should do that anyways) and see if it works. I just used arm coolers for Lou, rolled them up my arms while riding out on the bike. Easy, but I practiced it beforehand.

Yes I was talking about those. Seemed like a good idea to protect the back of your shoulders and neck from the sun. Just hated pulling on tight clothes after the swim.
Just don't want to spend $45 on something that won't work, especially knowing that arm coolers will work. I don't burn easy, and have a pretty solid base tan, so it's probably not a huge issue.
Thanks for the tips..probably just go with the arm coolers.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sunscreen Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sunscreen

Started by lexington476
Views: 874 Posts: 21

2007-06-03 5:50 PM lil_turtle

Sunscreen and Sweating

Started by TriForrestTri
Views: 1285 Posts: 10

2007-04-28 8:37 PM FishrCutB8

Your opinion on sunscreen Pages: 1 2

Started by ragingferret
Views: 1911 Posts: 41

2007-03-19 4:28 PM Lucy

Don't forget your sunscreen

Started by pfusc
Views: 641 Posts: 5

2006-06-05 10:27 AM c_cic

Sunscreen

Started by TriJasmine
Views: 536 Posts: 4

2004-07-14 4:38 PM madkat
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : ValleyCoach.com
comments : 0
Because of potential heat injury and sun damage, there are certain precautions that should be taken. Here are some tips to avoid heat injury.

date : July 30, 2006
author : TriDoc5280
Getting the biggest bang for your buck; some low cost means of improving your performance and preventing injury.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Downloadable race-day checklist for your triathlon preparation. Everything you need to bring from your bike to drinks.