2014-07-22 1:46 PM
in reply to: msteiner

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: changes coming to ITU AG worlds

Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by gsmacleod
Originally posted by dgunthert I'm coming in a bit late, but I don't think this will be true once you get past the REALLY pointy end of the field. It only exposes if your run is weaker than others in your AG. In AG racing, I think DL will easily let you hide a sub-par bike or swim (relative to the field, that is). Let's look at a local race for me. Placed 2nd in my AG. Turn that race draft legal and I don't even get on the podium. Why? I'm second out of the water and never see the leader on the bike. The guy that was 1:06 behind me on the swim latches on the guy that had the fastest bike split in the AG (but was 1:20 behind me on the swim). So instead of that first guy losing another 1:31 and coming into T2 2:30 behind me, we all roll in together when they pass me with less than a mile to go and I latch on. The fast biker is a lousy runner or blows up. The other guy runs 20 seconds/mile faster than me and takes second (instead of fourth as he did in the actual race). So 2nd fastest swim in the AG (over 1' in front of 3rd), 3rd fastest bike (another minute over 3rd), 6th fastest run (by less than 40 seconds), and I would have missed the podium.
While that is one possibility, based on my experience with DL racing, I would guess that instead of the fastest cyclist having the guy who lost time to you latch on, he gets his doors blown off by the fastest cyclist or smokes himself trying to hang in the draft. In the event that he actually catches you by following the strongest rider, you jump on the back of the group and you and the strongest rider push the pace and either spit this guy out or chew him up so badly he implodes on the run. Shane

I sure as heck would not make it easy for someone to hang on unless I knew there would be some benefit. Getting rid of anyone who couldn't help.

Can there really be an "overall" winner with DL and different waves? Technically yes, fastest time, but so much would depend on "thems the breaks".

Aren't a lot of road races decided by "thems the breaks" situations.

I was thinking more of situations coming up from laps & multiple waves crossing each other. What Shane described still has situations, but less of them. Can't get rid of everything, and in DL it is a part of it, but no reason to just throw hands up in the air. The Jr latching onto the U23 is someone making their own break as opposed to getting lucky with a fast pack lapping around to latch onto. The situations are more contained to breaks within your own starting wave.

2014-07-22 2:11 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Thems the brakes is right... I will be trying to catch up to and ride through earlier waves and if I catch up to someone who is a better rider but a poor swimmer guess what I'm going to do it. Strategically I have few choices and that one maximizes my strengths.
2014-07-22 2:16 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
In the ITU if your a pro and get lapped are you out?
2014-07-22 2:17 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
2014-07-22 2:17 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Originally posted by dmiller5

]

well idk about all this because maybe you had someone in another age group to work with on the bike. you can't take a race and the make up a draft legal scenario.

You certainly can extrapolate if drafting between AGs is prohibited. Other than sucking a wheel like I talked about, I can't see anybody that I mentioned making different decisions if the race were draft legal.

It's even worse if you allow drafting between AGs. Then, everything other than running speed goes out the window because it all comes down to the random chance of who happens to be around you on the bike.

2014-07-22 2:19 PM
in reply to: dgunthert

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by dgunthert
Originally posted by dmiller5 ]

well idk about all this because maybe you had someone in another age group to work with on the bike. you can't take a race and the make up a draft legal scenario.

You certainly can extrapolate if drafting between AGs is prohibited. Other than sucking a wheel like I talked about, I can't see anybody that I mentioned making different decisions if the race were draft legal. It's even worse if you allow drafting between AGs. Then, everything other than running speed goes out the window because it all comes down to the random chance of who happens to be around you on the bike.

go race draft legal, then come back with your opinion

2014-07-22 2:20 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Pro

Originally posted by chirunner134 In the ITU if your a pro and get lapped are you out?

Though a long way from pros.......that's why the Jr./youth elite series is so cool.  No "finisher medals", no whining.  Keep up or go home.  Lot's of kids get lapped out their first race or two, especially at the Jr. level where the swim and bike is longer.....they learn, they work harder, and they get better.

2014-07-22 3:08 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member

go race draft legal, then come back with your opinion

I don't have to race draft legal to know that I'll never, ever be able to run the 6:30-6:40 miles the fastest runners in my AG can throw down for a sprint. On a very good day, I might see the short side of 7:00/mile. No amount of saving my legs by waiting for a pack is going to prevent me from losing at least 15-20 seconds per mile to the rabbits.

Because of that, I also don't have to race draft legal to know that I'd need luck in addition to any amount of training I brought with me on that day in order to make the podium.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be fun, that I'll never try it, or that there isn't a place for it. I'm saying that for someone like me, it takes a sport where I can be competitive in my AG and changes it to one where I can't.
2014-07-22 3:17 PM
in reply to: dgunthert

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dgunthert
Originally posted by dmiller5 go race draft legal, then come back with your opinion
I don't have to race draft legal to know that I'll never, ever be able to run the 6:30-6:40 miles the fastest runners in my AG can throw down for a sprint. On a very good day, I might see the short side of 7:00/mile. No amount of saving my legs by waiting for a pack is going to prevent me from losing at least 15-20 seconds per mile to the rabbits. Because of that, I also don't have to race draft legal to know that I'd need luck in addition to any amount of training I brought with me on that day in order to make the podium. I'm not saying it wouldn't be fun, that I'll never try it, or that there isn't a place for it. I'm saying that for someone like me, it takes a sport where I can be competitive in my AG and changes it to one where I can't.

No it doesn't.  I've watched kids who are state cross country champions with sub 15:00 5K times wipe themselves out if their swim didn't go well and they tried a bridge they shouldn't have, or the bike pack they were in decided to really hammer.  DL triathlon changes every metric, and each race as it sets up can change those metrics even more.  I'll stop short of saying you don't know what you are talking about because you've obviously been around triathlon......just give this racing a chance....you might be surprised how competitive you can be in any given race within your AG.

2014-07-22 7:33 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-07-22 8:03 PM
in reply to: 0

Pro

Originally posted by Fred D
Originally posted by Left Brain No "finisher medals", no whining. 
excellent as those finisher medals are really destroying our sport aren't they? perfect for you as I know how much you hate the whining in triathlon. Question? Do you understand the *possible* irony in complaining about whining triathletes?

Fred....I said no medals,no whining.  I was talking about kids.  Try to keep up. 

You might want to think about cutting back on the Gu's. LOL

Edited by Left Brain 2014-07-22 8:04 PM

2014-07-22 8:12 PM

Edited by Fred D 2014-07-22 8:13 PM
2014-07-22 8:13 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Pro

Fred....keep at it, this ain't near as much fun without you.

2014-07-22 8:15 PM

2014-07-22 8:17 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Pro

You know Fred....in my career I never did understand what guys got out of smacking someone who was handcuffed......but I gotta admit, you're close to making me see the fun in it. LOL   

Hey, you got a zoot code? 

2014-07-23 12:03 PM

Couple thoughts,

I think you are underestimating the bike portion of the event. At the amateur level, if you can find 2-3 people who can work together well, who know how to race bikes. . . they can put a ton of time into a pack of riders with no real organization. Especially as DL racing slowly starts, I bet you find that experienced bike racers will make out pretty well (assuming you can find a few guys out there to share the work).

Also, anyone who has raced a bike, understands that holding a wheel in a pack isn't as simple as suggested. People get thrown out the back all the time. Sure, you can maintain the 150-200W effort while on the flats, but what about when the road turns, or it goes up a hill and all the sudden your pushing 400W. You get spit out the back, I don't care how well you run, your race is over. There is a lot of strategy going on as well. Should you make it hard, should you sit in. . . or if you are part of local tri club. . . well. . . than it can get even more interesting.

There are also concerns. Most of the triathlon population that does sprints will be too intimidated by draft legal racing. They won't want to do this style of racing. Full on DL racing would drive away participation. For that reason, I see this working as the elite waves do. Send the folks wanting to race draft legal off at the front of the race that way they stay out of the rest of the race.

2014-07-23 12:10 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
This is only for the world AG championships. You might get a few people who are scared but I think most who would qualify would hopefully be up for the challenge. It just means you will need to make friends to be competitive (So you can practice group riding).

Even if they made it for all ITU races slow people like me might still do it. It would just make those turns potentially dangerous if people use me as a way of knocking people out of the pack.
2014-07-23 12:11 PM

Pro

Originally posted by ziggie204 Couple thoughts, I think you are underestimating the bike portion of the event. At the amateur level, if you can find 2-3 people who can work together well, who know how to race bikes. . . they can put a ton of time into a pack of riders with no real organization. Especially as DL racing slowly starts, I bet you find that experienced bike racers will make out pretty well (assuming you can find a few guys out there to share the work). Also, anyone who has raced a bike, understands that holding a wheel in a pack isn't as simple as suggested. People get thrown out the back all the time. Sure, you can maintain the 150-200W effort while on the flats, but what about when the road turns, or it goes up a hill and all the sudden your pushing 400W. You get spit out the back, I don't care how well you run, your race is over. There is a lot of strategy going on as well. Should you make it hard, should you sit in. . . or if you are part of local tri club. . . well. . . than it can get even more interesting. There are also concerns. Most of the triathlon population that does sprints will be too intimidated by draft legal racing. They won't want to do this style of racing. Full on DL racing would drive away participation. For that reason, I see this working as the elite waves do. Send the folks wanting to race draft legal off at the front of the race that way they stay out of the rest of the race.

That's interesting.

But for the purspose of finsh place, qualifications, etc, everyone would be in the same race?  Because no matter, what, it appears that 2016 worlds will be DL.....so it only makes sense that our qualifiying races are DL, or we don't participate, right?

I agree with your cycling comments and posted the same.  Lot's of people think they can draft, very few have ever been in a race drafting situation.....not the same animal.  If the folks who can truly draft (experienced Jr. Elite racers and cyclists) get together on the course, they will be a handful and will eat up large chunks of the field.

2014-07-23 1:13 PM

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by ziggie204 Couple thoughts, I think you are underestimating the bike portion of the event. At the amateur level, if you can find 2-3 people who can work together well, who know how to race bikes. . . they can put a ton of time into a pack of riders with no real organization. Especially as DL racing slowly starts, I bet you find that experienced bike racers will make out pretty well (assuming you can find a few guys out there to share the work). Also, anyone who has raced a bike, understands that holding a wheel in a pack isn't as simple as suggested. People get thrown out the back all the time. Sure, you can maintain the 150-200W effort while on the flats, but what about when the road turns, or it goes up a hill and all the sudden your pushing 400W. You get spit out the back, I don't care how well you run, your race is over. There is a lot of strategy going on as well. Should you make it hard, should you sit in. . . or if you are part of local tri club. . . well. . . than it can get even more interesting. There are also concerns. Most of the triathlon population that does sprints will be too intimidated by draft legal racing. They won't want to do this style of racing. Full on DL racing would drive away participation. For that reason, I see this working as the elite waves do. Send the folks wanting to race draft legal off at the front of the race that way they stay out of the rest of the race.

That's interesting.

But for the purspose of finsh place, qualifications, etc, everyone would be in the same race?  Because no matter, what, it appears that 2016 worlds will be DL.....so it only makes sense that our qualifiying races are DL, or we don't participate, right?

I agree with your cycling comments and posted the same.  Lot's of people think they can draft, very few have ever been in a race drafting situation.....not the same animal.  If the folks who can truly draft (experienced Jr. Elite racers and cyclists) get together on the course, they will be a handful and will eat up large chunks of the field.

Yep, I've done enough crits and team group riding that I'm comfortable in a pack, drafting and cornering at crazy speeds that most (not all, but most) triathletes are NOT comfortable doing.  I've been watching this conversation as I'm very interested.  Now, it would be difficult for me to qualify for World's again, but who knows.  I would absolutely benefit from it if it happened.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around how they would logistically do it.

Great conversations here and on ST.  Keep em coming.

2014-07-23 1:55 PM

That's interesting.

I would treat it as two different races. Similar to races where they have a du and a tri going on at the same time. Separate awards, placings and all. Send the DL men off, wait a few minutes, send the DL women off. Then the elite non-draft wave, and then the AG non-draft waves. Separate bib colors that must be worn to the back on the bike so you know who is part of the DL race.

I would assume that in the beginning, local races will be hard pressed to get enough folks wanting to race DL. But if you can get 20ish guys, it would make for a good time and I would gladly be one of those to sign up for this.

If you did get a big enough field, 75ish. . . then maybe you can use chip times to award AG results, or do larger age groups, M30-45, M45-60.

I really do worry that sprint participation will take a nose dive if whole races become draft legal. I think of my wife, who enjoys riding, but she won't get behind me to draft nor would she ever consider a bike race. But she has done a tri before. Drafting and racing bikes may seem like a fun idea to us, but I bet to 85% of the sprint population, it sounds down right scary, especially after having to deal with the frightening nature of an open water experience. . . at least let them get to keep their belief that it'll get better if they can just get through the swim.

Honestly, the whole thing makes more sense at the Olympic distance where the participants tend to be non-beginners.
2014-07-23 2:01 PM

Pro

Originally posted by ziggie204

That's interesting.

I would treat it as two different races. Similar to races where they have a du and a tri going on at the same time. Separate awards, placings and all. Send the DL men off, wait a few minutes, send the DL women off. Then the elite non-draft wave, and then the AG non-draft waves. Separate bib colors that must be worn to the back on the bike so you know who is part of the DL race. I would assume that in the beginning, local races will be hard pressed to get enough folks wanting to race DL. But if you can get 20ish guys, it would make for a good time and I would gladly be one of those to sign up for this. If you did get a big enough field, 75ish. . . then maybe you can use chip times to award AG results, or do larger age groups, M30-45, M45-60. I really do worry that sprint participation will take a nose dive if whole races become draft legal. I think of my wife, who enjoys riding, but she won't get behind me to draft nor would she ever consider a bike race. But she has done a tri before. Drafting and racing bikes may seem like a fun idea to us, but I bet to 85% of the sprint population, it sounds down right scary, especially after having to deal with the frightening nature of an open water experience. . . at least let them get to keep their belief that it'll get better if they can just get through the swim. Honestly, the whole thing makes more sense at the Olympic distance where the participants tend to be non-beginners.

Except that....if things continue at the current pace, 5-10 years from now you will have thousands,many thousands, of people who only grew up with DL at the sprint level.  There is a future in DL, believe it.  What I think is that you will never lose the non-drafting sprints....or at least there will always be enough of them to bring in beginnners who are older and have never done a triathlon. 

As for your other points about race waves....what about qualifiers for Nationals.....and does Nationals need to be all DL at the sprint level since that's what World's will be.

2014-07-23 2:31 PM

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

That's interesting.

I would treat it as two different races. Similar to races where they have a du and a tri going on at the same time. Separate awards, placings and all. Send the DL men off, wait a few minutes, send the DL women off. Then the elite non-draft wave, and then the AG non-draft waves. Separate bib colors that must be worn to the back on the bike so you know who is part of the DL race. I would assume that in the beginning, local races will be hard pressed to get enough folks wanting to race DL. But if you can get 20ish guys, it would make for a good time and I would gladly be one of those to sign up for this. If you did get a big enough field, 75ish. . . then maybe you can use chip times to award AG results, or do larger age groups, M30-45, M45-60. I really do worry that sprint participation will take a nose dive if whole races become draft legal. I think of my wife, who enjoys riding, but she won't get behind me to draft nor would she ever consider a bike race. But she has done a tri before. Drafting and racing bikes may seem like a fun idea to us, but I bet to 85% of the sprint population, it sounds down right scary, especially after having to deal with the frightening nature of an open water experience. . . at least let them get to keep their belief that it'll get better if they can just get through the swim. Honestly, the whole thing makes more sense at the Olympic distance where the participants tend to be non-beginners.

Except that....if things continue at the current pace, 5-10 years from now you will have thousands,many thousands, of people who only grew up with DL at the sprint level.  There is a future in DL, believe it.  What I think is that you will never lose the non-drafting sprints....or at least there will always be enough of them to bring in beginnners who are older and have never done a triathlon. 

As for your other points about race waves....what about qualifiers for Nationals.....and does Nationals need to be all DL at the sprint level since that's what World's will be.

LB Luther King Jr.

I HAVE A DREAM, THAT ONE DAY ALL TRIATHLETES WILL BE ABLE TO DRAFT ALL OTHER TRIATHLETES. THAT WE CAN BE DRAFT LEGAL TOGETHER.

2014-07-23 2:37 PM

Pro

That's interesting.

LB Luther King Jr.

I HAVE A DREAM, THAT ONE DAY ALL TRIATHLETES WILL BE ABLE TO DRAFT ALL OTHER TRIATHLETES. THAT WE CAN BE DRAFT LEGAL TOGETHER.

I do have that dream.  I would like to see triathlon where USA swimming is in 10 or 15 years.  I'd like to see 3 or 4 youth clubs in every major city, and races every weekend during the season leading to sectionals, then regionals, then Jr. nationals.  I think with it becomoing an emerging sport in the NCAA a stage has been set.  As I have said before, almost nobody has any idea how much USAT puts toward youth/Jr. triathlon...or the triahning facilities that are being constructed to advance Jr. triathletes to the world level......but I see it firsthand and it's head and shoulders above what most people think USAT is doing with their membership dues.

Come to Westchester, Ohio next weekend and see the future of triathlon.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-07-23 2:40 PM
2014-07-23 4:03 PM

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

That's interesting.

LB Luther King Jr.

I do have that dream.  I would like to see triathlon where USA swimming is in 10 or 15 years.  I'd like to see 3 or 4 youth clubs in every major city, and races every weekend during the season leading to sectionals, then regionals, then Jr. nationals.  I think with it becomoing an emerging sport in the NCAA a stage has been set.  As I have said before, almost nobody has any idea how much USAT puts toward youth/Jr. triathlon...or the triahning facilities that are being constructed to advance Jr. triathletes to the world level......but I see it firsthand and it's head and shoulders above what most people think USAT is doing with their membership dues.

Come to Westchester, Ohio next weekend and see the future of triathlon.

Does that mean you aren't going to be in Milwaukee the following weekend, or will you be doing that too?

2014-07-23 4:29 PM

Pro

We'll be in Milwaukee as well.  He's got Jr. Elite Nationals, AG Nationals, and AG worlds in a 5 week period, plus XC season starts on 8/4......lots of sleeping for him. I think he could make worlds in sleeping too..

Edited by Left Brain 2014-07-23 4:31 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » changes coming to ITU AG worlds Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

The 2014 ITU Grand Final / AG worlds sorta "Official Thread"

Started by simpsonbo
Views: 694 Posts: 1

2014-06-24 7:53 PM simpsonbo

Ironman AG World Champion Clay Emge

Started by TripleThreatTri
Views: 928 Posts: 1

2013-11-23 2:52 PM TripleThreatTri

AG Sprint Worlds 2011 qualifier?

Started by tkd.teacher
Views: 612 Posts: 3

2010-07-13 5:42 PM smilford

ITU Edomonton/World Masters Games

Started by kausnfxx
Views: 447 Posts: 1

2005-07-17 8:31 PM kausnfxx

Hamburg triathlon (ITU World Cup)

Started by bambino
Views: 757 Posts: 4

2005-05-08 6:22 PM bambino
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.
date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.

date : December 14, 2004
author : Team BT
Q&A with Siri Lagley, winner of the ITU President’s Cup racing series two years in a row and coach of Susan Williams, US Athens triathlete.
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"