General Discussion Triathlon Talk » From running to Triathlon training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-27 5:30 AM

User image

Subject: From running to Triathlon training

I have been running for about 18 months now and completed my first marathon this May (04:14:27). My next goal is still a marathon (sub 4 I hope) and only aim for half IM in 2016. But, I want to start building up my capabilities in bike and swim.

My question is, while I was training for the marathon I ran 5 days a week. Now I want to keep that ability and also add on bike and swim, so obviously that means less running, or does it? How does the training add up in terms of days? If I swim/run/bike 2 days each in a week (with 1 day off) that sort of sounds, well, not here and not there. Again at the moment my goal for Feb 2015 is a sub 4 marathon but I want to build endurance and ability on the bike/swim.

Thanks for your pointers and advice!

2014-07-27 1:31 PM
in reply to: #5030965

Subject: RE: From running to Triathlon training
This is my first season of triathlon, but most of us - especially those who are training for HIM/IM distances - do more than one of s/b/r at least a few days a week. I do a long and sometimes a medium standalone run, and then short runs on the same day as a swim or bike. Some run 5-6 days a week on top of the other two disciplines. It just depends what you have time for and what goals you're reaching for.
2014-07-27 4:26 PM
in reply to: aribloch

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Originally posted by aribloch

I have been running for about 18 months now and completed my first marathon this May (04:14:27). My next goal is still a marathon (sub 4 I hope) and only aim for half IM in 2016. But, I want to start building up my capabilities in bike and swim.

My question is, while I was training for the marathon I ran 5 days a week. Now I want to keep that ability and also add on bike and swim, so obviously that means less running, or does it? How does the training add up in terms of days? If I swim/run/bike 2 days each in a week (with 1 day off) that sort of sounds, well, not here and not there. Again at the moment my goal for Feb 2015 is a sub 4 marathon but I want to build endurance and ability on the bike/swim.

Thanks for your pointers and advice!

I made a similar transition to you but from a HM last fall. I began my first season of triathlon training this year in May (work and an ankle injury prevented me from starting earlier in the year) and I have my first triathlon race at the end of August. Since I didn't come directly off my HM I decided to make my own "three-fer" training plan (based off the free on provided on this website. I have been managing three s/b/r each week and doing well. I still have the urges to try for more running since I'm somewhat better in that area compared to the other two but over the last couple months of training I have come to enjoy all three equally. Either way my training consists of:

Swimming: All three days base building to get up to the oly distance. I'll plan on non-base building after my first triathlon during the winter season since right now I'm just ensuring I can cover the race distance.

Biking: Two days are base building again for the same reason as in swimming. However, I try to do one day of some crude intervals to train myself to hold a faster speed than my usual. Just a little speed training of which I will pursue further once my first tri season is over.

Running: Again this is all based on coming off 6 months of sedentary lifestyle due to my demanding work and on top of that a very stupid ankle injury JUST as I started to begin my triathlon training. No surprise here I re-built my base running back to where it was during my HM training from the previous season. However, I am a bit slower due to my ligament injury. However, once the season is over I plan to work on my interval training once I am more comfortable.

It was good for me to write that down lol but I figured it may have some kind of advice in there for someone. I would suggest giving the others a try but realize that your running shouldn't have to suffer but rather you'll have to manage your run training a bit more since you also have to try to build up the swim and bike. I wish you good luck and enjoy the triathlon training!
2014-07-27 4:38 PM
in reply to: aribloch

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Run 5-6, swim 4, bike 3. Depending on how much time you have to devote to training will determine whether or not you can keep your existing (what is it) mileage. Keep in mind, sometimes it's easier to run shorter more frequently then longer, less frequently.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » From running to Triathlon training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Running speed increase - triathlon training rocks

Started by b2run
Views: 1506 Posts: 9

2013-10-24 10:55 AM summerk

Training for triathlon v. Not training for running

Started by Goosedog
Views: 1331 Posts: 20

2013-05-15 12:36 PM tri808

Incorporating a 50k trail run training into triathlon training

Started by neilcarter
Views: 2494 Posts: 10

2013-08-04 9:32 AM tedjohn

Increasing weekly running distances while triathlon training

Started by SweetK
Views: 1207 Posts: 13

2007-04-10 8:21 AM SweetK

Can I train for running races AND triathlons?

Started by runnerx
Views: 824 Posts: 7

2004-10-22 11:15 PM evrunning
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 2, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you

date : December 1, 2011
comments : 0
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : July 29, 2011
comments : 3
Third in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : September 24, 2007
comments : 1
This article will show you how to construct a run training program for your second season of running using your calculated heart-rate zones.
date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Several years ago, I got the urge to do a triathlon. When my second pregnancy occurred almost immediately following the first, I mentioned to my sister-in-law that I would never get around to.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
At first triathlon training may seem scary and that is why I will try to summarize a few tips for whoever wants to try and get their feet wet with triathlon. I can assure you that you will be hooked.
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
I decided to list a few interesting workouts to increase speed.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 6
Couch to 5k programs for those starting from square one.