General Discussion Triathlon Talk » patellar tendinitis Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-13 4:04 PM

Subject: patellar tendinitis
Just curious...anyone had patellar tendinitis (knee). What did you do to get rid of it, how long did it take, etc.?

2004-07-13 4:23 PM
in reply to: #37167

Subject: RE: patellar tendinitis
i didnt have P. T. from running but something very similar that i still have problems with after 2 years. my plica, or ridges in the synovium in the knee cap got inflammed and caused irritation when i ran. they would get so big that when the joint hinged back and forth they would get caught and make a clicking/popping noise. At it's worst, I could barely walk and after reinjury (x 1 million) the pain started feeling like a burning in the lining of my joint. I went through physical therapy and continued to do leg exercised -which i can give you if you want- that would help strengthen your muscles. And i also iced and iced and iced. my problem was that i thought i could run through it which wasnt the case. it just made everything get bigger and more swollen inside. so i finally started swimming to stay fit and strong. Thats how i became a tri- athlete!
2004-07-13 4:51 PM

So is it better or do you concentrate on cycling and swimming mostly? Are the exercises leg extensions, leg curls, stretching the quads, hamstrings, etc.?
2004-07-13 5:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
I had PT when I played basketball in high school. I bought myself a brace which helped, but what really helped me rid myself of it totally was strengthening my thigh and calf muscles by lifting, and by losing a little weight. This took the stress off the knee and made the other muscles in my legs work harder.
2004-07-13 9:04 PM
in reply to: #37178

Well it's better to the point where I can train for my tris but I can't run/train like I did on crosscountry.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » patellar tendinitis Rss Feed