General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wheel Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-30 8:59 PM

Subject: Wheel Question
Other than the obvious what are some of the differences between clincher and tubular tires? How do they compare performance wise?

2014-07-30 9:14 PM
in reply to: #5033021

Subject: RE: Wheel Question
IMO I like the advantage of clinchers. A flat sucks but its much easier to switch out a tube in the middle of your ride
2014-07-31 2:31 AM
in reply to: zballinger

Originally posted by zballinger

IMO I like the advantage of clinchers. A flat sucks but its much easier to switch out a tube in the middle of your ride

Q.How does a car engine work?

A.I like red cars.
2014-07-31 5:59 AM
in reply to: gus123

User image

There is so little difference in performance with modern wheels/tires/tubes that it's a matter of preference rather than an issue of one being faster.

Tubies are faster to change flats, cut off old tire, put new tire on, inflate and ride.

But the things that keeps me buying clinchers:

I'm used to clinchers.
I can choose which tube (butyl or latex) to use and can switch out without an issue.
It costs $5 to $15 when you flat on a clincher. Cost of new tube.
It costs $50 to $200 when you flat on a tubular. You have to buy the whole setup.

2014-07-31 6:07 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
No offense, but with the question asked, I bet tubulars are not for you. They are more involved in that you need to pre-stretch, glue and mount and although not overly complicated, it is a bit of a procedure and you are relying on your skills to stay safe (you definitely don't want a tubular to roll off in the middle of a race!).

In years past, there was definitely a performance advantage of tubulars, but modern clinchers are so good that the gap is more of less erased. Another options would be tubeless, which really marries the riding quality of a good tubular with convenience of a clincher, but there's three drawbacks; limited choices of wheels and tires, really requires dedicated wheels (tubeless ready) and they are a bit more involved in installing and maintaining (you need to add sealant after a certain time period, so about 1/year).
2014-07-31 6:25 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Performance is a wash between clinchers and tubulars; however, as previously mentioned, the installation of tubulars is much more involved with stretching and gluing. As well, the gluing process, to do it right so you get the best performance whereas with a clincher, it's very straightforward.

I had tubulars and sold them and now use clinchers for everything; the added hassle of tubulars was more than I was willing to deal with for my race wheels.

I have considered racing cyclo-cross on tubulars since you can run very low pressures without worrying about snake bites but I race cyclo-cross so rarely that I am just sticking with clinchers there too.

Shane

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wheel Question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

tri wheel questions - race v. training wheels

Started by ff27
Views: 2672 Posts: 17

2009-02-09 12:55 PM rc63413

Disk/aero wheel question

Started by jszat
Views: 926 Posts: 7

2006-07-18 10:51 AM amiine

Disc/ deep rimmed wheel questions

Started by MobAlTri
Views: 908 Posts: 11

2005-08-23 9:06 PM MobAlTri

Newbie wheel question

Started by dgunthert
Views: 594 Posts: 4

2004-08-03 10:41 AM tbone

bike wheels question

Started by trilori
Views: 677 Posts: 6

2004-05-24 8:27 AM sherrick
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job

date : August 7, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Looking to rent or try-before-you-buy race wheels for your next triathlon? Coach AJ checks out the service at RaceDay Wheels.
date : December 15, 2008
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?

date : August 5, 2008
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.