General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Navicular stress fracture or something else? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-04 9:03 AM

Subject: Navicular stress fracture or something else?

I have been running very consistently last 3 years and done a few ironman races and soe open marathons. Milage has been about 50 per week but lately I have reduced a bit. Also, started doing a bit of stand up paddle boarding now and then 2 weeks ago.

History of the injury:
Until last Sunday I have had zero problems for several months. I went for a 20 mile run and main part was in a forrest with lots of uneven surface, ascents and descents. About 15 miles in I started to feel a bit of nagging along the inner edge of my foot. Completed the run and nothing was felt after the run.

Tuesday I went for a 8 mile run. After a mile or so I felt the nagging again, but nothing major.

Wednesday a very easy 4 mile run, no pain or nagging.

Thursday planned to do a 10 mile run with 4 miles at tempo pace. No pain during the first 2 miles of warm up or the first 2 miles of the main set but then over the course of a few hundred meters I developed sharp pain on the inner arche of the foot. I decided to walk home but for some reason I decided to try to massage and stretch. Sat down and pointed my toes upward while I massaged the inner edge of the foot. Tried to run and it was possible at easy pace

Friday 3 miles easy run, no pain

Today I did 14 miles easy run (have an ironman in 8 weeks so wanted to see if I could get the run in). No pain at all first 12 miles, last 2 miles I had some pain but only when running downhill. Also, stretched the calf (no massage) and it seemed to help.

Summary of symptoms:
- pain when running. Pain is dispersed along the inner edge of the foot. It is hard to pinpoint exactly where it is. Last Sunday it felt like the sole of the foot on the left side of the right foot so thought it was PT. Now I cannot really pinpoint it when running it seems to be along the entire edge of the foot but more towards the front than towards the back of the foot
- massage of the arch/edge of the foot as well as stretching seems to provide temporary releive of the pain and I can continue to run
- only today, after the long run, the pain has become in a specific spot. When I touch the "n spot" (a bump of bone that sort of sticks out on the inside of the navicular) from below I feel some light pain, but not when I push it from the top or other sides. Also, between the n spot and the heel there is no pain but when I rub a finger from the n-spot and forward towards the toes I have some light pain/soreness for about 1 inch
-- as long as I run on flat, even surface at my easy pace (not recovery) I can run without pain for up to 90 minutes

Possible injuiries:
It could be a stress fracture and I am going to get a MRI scan to figure out. Today I saw and orthopedic doc and he said it is like tendonitis but he is not sure so we will do the mri to confirm.

However, what makes me doubt it is sfx is that I can stretch/massage it away and the pain of the n spot is not when pressing it from above, only from below. Also, when I do the one leg jump test I have no real pain but a bit of soreness about 0,5 inch in front of the n-spot. I tend to think and hope it is some sort of inflamation of strain. Actually it feels quite tight in the ankle Could be posteior tibal tendonitis but there are no clear PTTD symptoms either

Has anyone experienced something similar? What was it? What did you do about it?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Navicular stress fracture or something else? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

navicular stress fracture

Started by blues2play
Views: 1655 Posts: 4

2012-04-20 9:54 PM matcrawf

12 days to First Triathlon-Stress Fracture AAAAGGGGHHH!

Started by rd04
Views: 1195 Posts: 14

2006-08-15 2:37 PM Pearl Dad

Stress Fracture, Anyone?

Started by rowdypaint
Views: 877 Posts: 5

2006-03-06 6:24 AM parrj

Stress Fracture...oh no!

Started by TriBodyboarder
Views: 1649 Posts: 21

2006-01-31 11:29 PM TriBodyboarder

Stress fracture AARRGGHHH

Started by sue7013
Views: 1190 Posts: 14

2005-05-06 2:00 PM sharonnagy5
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 13, 2014
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I think I might have a stress fracture. I'm not sure that I want to spend the money on an MRI if the result is simply to rest as the treatment sounds the same with more money in my pocket.

date : October 10, 2013
comments : 1
I will describe the more common running foot injuries and discuss contributing risk factors as well as treatments and corrections for prevention.
date : April 23, 2012
Suggestions for other activities to do while recovering from a stress fracture.

date : February 22, 2012
How long does it take to heal a stress fracture? How should my training look when trying to get back into it?
date : May 9, 2011
Stress fractures are one of the most feared injuries in the realm of endurance sports and they are also one of the most common sidelining injuries that such athletes face.

date : July 3, 2006
Is there anything that I can do to lessen the chances of stress fractures. I have had no luck with the doctors I have seen. Some have advised orthotics, some say there is nothing that can be done.
date : January 1, 2006
Early diagnosis and proper care from a sports medicine trained physician are essential for good management of a stress fracture. This will help avoid complications in the future.

date : July 5, 2005
I started tri training last July. Right now I am recovering from a stress fracture in my hip and I can't run. Any advice regarding keeping motivated?