General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Sprint Triathlete going to Olympic and Half Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-05 9:58 AM

Subject: Sprint Triathlete going to Olympic and Half Ironman
Hi all -

I'm a 3 time sprint triathlete and I'm looking to start expanding out. This year my focus was on nutrition and weight loss, so I didn't sign up for any races (I also have a big home project underway and didn't want to commit to anything!). I've lost 30 pounds and am still going down, I was an Athena and I'm now about to cross the threshold where I won't be anymore. This year I've been training hard on bike and run, and need to start picking up the swim again as I head towards next year. First swim scheduled for tomorrow to get back at it .

I have been pretty happy with the sprint triathlons - really enjoyed training and doing them. However, I am more interested in doing longer distances. In order to get there - I hope to get some pointers on a few things:

- What to look for when signing up for my first Olympic and Half Iron races - any types of terrain, support, or other information I should be considering for my first ones?
- Nutrition! I've been doing a lot of reading on this. For my sprints I basically just hydrated and did nothing else. My last sprint that didn't work well for me - I felt it in the run. Really want to make sure I improve in this area. My stomach is somewhat sensitive, and I'm nervous about gels. Any "natural" options that people have used that work really well?
- Wetsuits. I've just be doing a tri suit. As a go to the longer distances, is a wetsuit a must? I've never swam with one so I probably don't know what I'm missing.

Looking forward to becoming a more active participant in the community. Thanks in advance for any cross-links you can give for some of the information above!

- Cat Robson

2014-08-05 1:29 PM
in reply to: catrobson

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Sprint Triathlete going to Olympic and Half Ironman

Lots of good information on this site. Log your workouts so I can follow your progress. I am planning an Oly next summer... can use all the motivation I can get! 

2014-08-05 3:20 PM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Here is a great thread on "everything you should know before trying a half ironman"
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

What to look for - A lot of variables. When I was moving up a distance, I looked for a course that has a predictable swim and a flatter bike (aka the easiest course I can find) Most races have elevation charts. Being close to home is also a bonus. Once you are comfortable with the distance, then more challenging courses can be fun.

Nutrition - I'm not the expert, but keep it simple. Eat/drink the same stuff when you train as you race. Most articles say that you don't need a ton of complicated nutrition advice. At the Olympic level and below, your needs are very minimal.

Wetsuit - A warming personal flotation device and a great confidence builder. The better your swim leg, the less advantage you gain. If they are legal, I always wear one. You can get a Xterra Vortex for around $150 new.
2014-08-06 2:47 PM
in reply to: Swimbikeron

Thanks Swimbikeron! That post for HIM tips was definitely useful. Went for a longer swim this morning with a tri friend who has a wetsuit and got smoked while watching her feet barely move . That was a good way to convince me to invest (both in more swim time and a wetsuit)!

2014-08-07 8:42 AM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Good luck! Tons of great information on this site. When you find something, you can always add it to "My Favorite Threads" as a bookmark.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Sprint Triathlete going to Olympic and Half Ironman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

from door mat wife mom- triathlete here i go

Started by iriseabove4me
Views: 908 Posts: 6

2013-11-24 9:04 PM iriseabove4me

Runner going Triathlete

Started by illusTRIous
Views: 847 Posts: 5

2012-05-23 6:48 PM morey000

How to go from a Sprint to Olympic?!?!

Started by Gnakamoto
Views: 1199 Posts: 7

2011-03-07 3:17 PM wolfpackmike

Runner going to turn Triathlete

Started by kts0909
Views: 892 Posts: 5

2010-10-30 3:11 PM kts0909

I want to go from tubby to triathlete! :-)

Started by Lori 22
Views: 939 Posts: 10

2008-03-20 12:57 PM Lori 22
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.
date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
The schedule consists of at least 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work too. Most weeks have 4 days of cycling. The maximum volume is 14 hours in week 5.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.