General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So Really...How much Does the Bike Matter Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-08-05 7:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
Subject: RE: So Really...How much Does the Bike Matter
One of the esoteric things that I read was about leg turbulance during the pedaling cycle, that although it seems efficient to pedal at higher cadences, like 90 or higher, it creates more drag... I did some tests on analytical sites and personally and found that to be valid... with post ride analysis of ride data... I've learned to lower my cadence, from about 92 to 88, and my drag changes subtly... it might be absurd to read, but to me data doesn't lie. Don't get me wrong, I still practice pedalling at all rpms. Just that I've lowered my race cadence a smidge for the marginal gain. The only difference is of course, it lowers the speed for a given gear ratio, and then you'll have to start riding in a higher gear and get stronger, build the engine.

Edited by tomspharmacy 2014-08-05 7:20 PM

2014-08-05 7:22 PM
in reply to: tomspharmacy

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by tomspharmacy
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by yazmaster

Honestly, if you went from your bike now to a top-end, perfectly fitted $15k ubertribike with aero everything, you'd maybe go from 56th/100 in the bike to MAYBE 40-45th/100. More realistically, like 45/50th. 

The gains from a faster bike are real, but they're still small, like 1-2 minutes per hour of racing, which in a typical Oly-distance race means saving 60-90 seconds on the bike split. If you're coming from a really suboptimal bike fit, you'll get more than that, but highly unlikely to get 4+ minutes/hr of racing unless you're coming from a mtn bike to tribike.

Your math is a little off... if someone averages 20mph over a 56mile HIM split, thats 2hr 48min... if the bike gains 1.5mph to 21.5mph, thats a 2:36, a 12 min improvement... even the distance of an Oly, that would be 5min and 20sec faster... to me that's not insignificant.

Your math is correct only if you assume a 1.5 mph gain.  Possible if the OP's position now is pretty bad, and then going to an ideal position, but still an assumption that I don't think yazmaster was making.  So you can't really fault math.  

I understand it's cool, just trying to make a point that there are real world gains to be had, imho... although the latest uberbike isn't a requirement. Any further gains in speed is the engine, equipment is marginal then. The OP asked... he sounds like he's got a good engine to start and wants to be competitive... I'd say do what your wallet, ego and family will allow. Live once. I say that at his fitness level, the bike alone will propel him from front BOP to middle to upper FOP instantly on his fitness... to me that's all the info I'd need. For me, I don't mind studying the latest info on the boards or internet to scour any possible morsel of info to gain just 1/10 of 1 mph or more. It's whether I understand what I'm reading that's another thing.

Past experience says that matching up yaz's assumptions to actual values can be some kind of venture! 

Some of what's here can go with what I was thinking. Don't worry so much about getting the fastest bike. And especially don't worry so much right now. Work on the fit and position. That may be with this bike, or getting another bike. Build the fitness while also advancing the position. It's not too difficult to do "pretty well" towards a reasonably fast setup nowadays. This is also not going to be the last bike purchase you'll make. You can get a faster bike at any time that can swap into your position, so keep focusing more on the development aspects as those need to build on the past.

2014-08-05 7:35 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by yazmaster

Honestly, if you went from your bike now to a top-end, perfectly fitted $15k ubertribike with aero everything, you'd maybe go from 56th/100 in the bike to MAYBE 40-45th/100. More realistically, like 45/50th. 

The gains from a faster bike are real, but they're still small, like 1-2 minutes per hour of racing, which in a typical Oly-distance race means saving 60-90 seconds on the bike split. If you're coming from a really suboptimal bike fit, you'll get more than that, but highly unlikely to get 4+ minutes/hr of racing unless you're coming from a mtn bike to tribike.

Your math is a little off... if someone averages 20mph over a 56mile HIM split, thats 2hr 48min... if the bike gains 1.5mph to 21.5mph, thats a 2:36, a 12 min improvement... even the distance of an Oly, that would be 5min and 20sec faster... to me that's not insignificant.

Your math is correct only if you assume a 1.5 mph gain.  Possible if the OP's position now is pretty bad, and then going to an ideal position, but still an assumption that I don't think yazmaster was making.  So you can't really fault math.  

I understand it's cool, just trying to make a point that there are real world gains to be had, imho... although the latest uberbike isn't a requirement. Any further gains in speed is the engine, equipment is marginal then. The OP asked... he sounds like he's got a good engine to start and wants to be competitive... I'd say do what your wallet, ego and family will allow. Live once. I say that at his fitness level, the bike alone will propel him from front BOP to middle to upper FOP instantly on his fitness... to me that's all the info I'd need. For me, I don't mind studying the latest info on the boards or internet to scour any possible morsel of info to gain just 1/10 of 1 mph or more. It's whether I understand what I'm reading that's another thing.

Past experience says that matching up yaz's assumptions to actual values can be some kind of venture! 

Some of what's here can go with what I was thinking. Don't worry so much about getting the fastest bike. And especially don't worry so much right now. Work on the fit and position. That may be with this bike, or getting another bike. Build the fitness while also advancing the position. It's not too difficult to do "pretty well" towards a reasonably fast setup nowadays. This is also not going to be the last bike purchase you'll make. You can get a faster bike at any time that can swap into your position, so keep focusing more on the development aspects as those need to build on the past.

On that, I'll say Amen
2014-08-05 8:08 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by brigby1
Don't worry so much about getting the fastest bike. And especially don't worry so much right now. Work on the fit and position. That may be with this bike, or getting another bike. Build the fitness while also advancing the position. It's not too difficult to do "pretty well" towards a reasonably fast setup nowadays. This is also not going to be the last bike purchase you'll make. You can get a faster bike at any time that can swap into your position, so keep focusing more on the development aspects as those need to build on the past.

Ben, I agree with you (as always), but I think we sometimes overdo the "it's the engine" discussion.

Many, many people I see on the course could easily gain as much in aero optimization as they could in one off-season of training hard.

It's not one or the other, it's both.

Joe BT that can hold 180w on an Oly will do 1h12min on a flat, no wind course with a .33 cda
If he works his butt off one off-season and gets to 210w, he will do 1h8min
If he did nothing in the off season, bought speed, and brought his cda to .28 he would do that same 1h8min
If he did both, he would come down to 1h4min

Yes it's about the engine, but there is being smart about using that engine.

2014-08-05 8:26 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Didn't mean to stir the hornets' nest with this one. I do get (and totally agree) that it is predominantly the engine. I'm no stranger to hard work....I live for it. But I liken this to the last athletic milestone I had to fight for and that was a sub-20 5k. The work involved to drop from a 20:19 to a 19:19 was a year of really hard work. If I were to try to validate each workout vs its marginal gain, I'd never leave the couch. So I'll take any gain I can get. Also, when I was working towards the 5k goal I knew it was me vs the road. So I could work hard knowing that I was doing everything I could to get everything out of the work I put in. With the equipment variable here, that's not the case and precisely what prompted me to ask.

Also my goal is to be competitive. I went from placing in my age group every race I entered (as far back as I remember) and almost always top ten in running to being middle of the pack in tris. Swimming is in the bag for me (just natural in that one) but biking and running take a ton of work. I've put my time in on running so now my focus is biking to get back to where I like to be.

That being said; I've got a technical question. I really feel like I could get more power and comfort if I could get 1/2-1" further forward with my seat but right now it's maxed. Can I just turn the seat post 180 degrees to make of forward facing instead of back facing? I don't see any mechanical reason it wouldn't work (in my head anyway) but I wanted to check.

(Just in case there is a misunderstanding, or I'm using the wrong lingo; the seat post I have comes up and goes 90 degrees towards the back of the bike to make the flat part where the rails of the seat attach. I want to take off the seat, turn the post around and reattach the seat so the 90 degree bend will be facing forward. I think it will work provided I can tilt it enough to level the seat)

Edited by 3mar 2014-08-05 8:31 PM
2014-08-05 8:35 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Flipping the seatpost around works sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't. Depends on the particular post - you can sometimes end up with the seat sitting at a weird angle when you rotate the post around.

If flipping your seatpost doesn't work, you could spring for a zero-offset seatpost to bring you forward, and Redshift makes a 2 position seatpost that allows you to go from normal to tri position.

2014-08-05 8:36 PM

User image

for beginner triathlete website this sure sounds more like advanced elite triathlete!
2014-08-05 8:51 PM
in reply to: marcag

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by brigby1 Don't worry so much about getting the fastest bike. And especially don't worry so much right now. Work on the fit and position. That may be with this bike, or getting another bike. Build the fitness while also advancing the position. It's not too difficult to do "pretty well" towards a reasonably fast setup nowadays. This is also not going to be the last bike purchase you'll make. You can get a faster bike at any time that can swap into your position, so keep focusing more on the development aspects as those need to build on the past.
Ben, I agree with you (as always), but I think we sometimes overdo the "it's the engine" discussion. Many, many people I see on the course could easily gain as much in aero optimization as they could in one off-season of training hard. It's not one or the other, it's both. Joe BT that can hold 180w on an Oly will do 1h12min on a flat, no wind course with a .33 cda If he works his butt off one off-season and gets to 210w, he will do 1h8min If he did nothing in the off season, bought speed, and brought his cda to .28 he would do that same 1h8min If he did both, he would come down to 1h4min Yes it's about the engine, but there is being smart about using that engine.

Did it come across as more engine only? On the equipment side I only meant to lighten it up some, as in don't worry about having to get a P5. A P2 or P3 is still going to be quite good. Or an SC7 instead of an SC9. Aero definitely matters. I was just trying to convey that it's not necessary to get a bike that's over $10 to compete with that. To me the good fit and position works in power production, comfort and aero so is very much in line with what you're saying.

2014-08-05 8:54 PM
in reply to: Caroleena

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Caroleena for beginner triathlete website this sure sounds more like advanced elite triathlete!

Beginners don't have to stay beginners. Take in what you see and ask what questions come up. 

2014-08-06 12:21 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by 3mar

That being said; I've got a technical question. I really feel like I could get more power and comfort if I could get 1/2-1" further forward with my seat but right now it's maxed. Can I just turn the seat post 180 degrees to make of forward facing instead of back facing? I don't see any mechanical reason it wouldn't work (in my head anyway) but I wanted to check.

I'm on a road bike that is set up for a TT position. I have a Fast Forward Seatpost which is designed to help with what you have described. I'm not sure if it will get you 1.5" but that is what my fitter recommended to me. This is the one I have, they also have in Carbon.

http://www.profile-design.com/profile-design/products/seatposts/alu...

2014-08-06 5:15 AM

User image

High Desert Heaven, Oregon
Your seat post will likely not work in reverse if it is the same version on your bike that I saw on-line for the Vilano Forza 4.0. Won't hurt to give it a try, though (just don't try to ride it with the nose of the seat pointing up 20 degrees!).

I have a low end Trek 1000 that I have ridden for years and an aluminum tri-bike that I built up from Craig's List and E-bay for a relatively small sum. My experience? I'm faster on the tri-bike. I also have clip in pedals, an disc cover for my rear wheel, and a friend that loans me a front tri-spoke from time to time. Decent tires and an aero helmet round out my biking gear.

Do I have envy of nicer bikes? Yep. I want one pretty bad, but not in the cards just yet. If you have the money to spend, and you really like triathlon, I think buy a tt bike... used if you get the right fit, but new would be sweet. If it makes you ride more and harder, all the better. You don't have to go to the polar end of the continuum of bikes to be fast, there are good options out there for not a lot of money coupled with a wheel cover that will make a difference. And you'll feel cooler.

Sounds like you are pretty dedicated to improvement and a new set of wheels under you, coupled with a goal and determination, can be a pretty powerful combination.

Oh, also t.i.t.s.

Cheers!

2014-08-06 5:25 AM

User image

If you don't have one, it's a good bet you'll never podium

2014-08-06 5:36 AM
in reply to: cagerlach

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by cagerlach

Your seat post will likely not work in reverse if it is the same version on your bike that I saw on-line for the Vilano Forza 4.0. Won't hurt to give it a try, though (just don't try to ride it with the nose of the seat pointing up 20 degrees!).

I have a low end Trek 1000 that I have ridden for years and an aluminum tri-bike that I built up from Craig's List and E-bay for a relatively small sum. My experience? I'm faster on the tri-bike. I also have clip in pedals, an disc cover for my rear wheel, and a friend that loans me a front tri-spoke from time to time. Decent tires and an aero helmet round out my biking gear.

Do I have envy of nicer bikes? Yep. I want one pretty bad, but not in the cards just yet. If you have the money to spend, and you really like triathlon, I think buy a tt bike... used if you get the right fit, but new would be sweet. If it makes you ride more and harder, all the better. You don't have to go to the polar end of the continuum of bikes to be fast, there are good options out there for not a lot of money coupled with a wheel cover that will make a difference. And you'll feel cooler.

Sounds like you are pretty dedicated to improvement and a new set of wheels under you, coupled with a goal and determination, can be a pretty powerful combination.

Oh, also t.i.t.s.

Cheers!

Ok, I'll bite...... t.i.t.s??
2014-08-06 5:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I don't know if that will work, others may.

But another option for getting a little further forward is an Adamo seat. The way they are made and the way you sit, you can get more forward.
Lots of bike shops allow you to give them a try so this may be a 0 cost way to find out.

Moving too far forward, with a FF seatpost or new saddle....may have consequences on bike handling as well that you may want to consider.

Also, in general, when properly fit, if your seat moves forward, you can move the pads slightly forward, slightly down and preserve all the same angles. You will hear people refer to it as rotating around the BB. This allows you to get lower in front without closing your hip angle which can reduce power production.

Fitting and aero positioning are 1/3 science, 1/3 art, 1/3 experimentation :-)

t.i.t.s = time in the saddle
It's not something you can buy...well....ok...let's not go there.....

Edited by marcag 2014-08-06 5:41 AM
2014-08-06 7:02 AM

User image

Originally posted by cagerlach

Oh, also t.i.t.s.

Cheers!

Ok, I'll bite...... t.i.t.s??

Time In The Saddle.

As a good rule of thumb, it's the correction for darn near all that ails you on the bike.

2014-08-06 8:15 AM
in reply to: DanielG

, Wisconsin
We started out talking about "better bikes". What it really comes down to is that going from a $400 road bike to a $4K road bike will get you very little speed advantage. Maybe more comfortable ride, look better, shift, brake better etc. but not much faster. However, getting even an inexpensive aero tri bike that fits will definitely give you a speed gain. It seems to me that there are tons of very lightly used tri-bikes on Craig's list at extremely good prices. I think a lot of people run out and buy one and then for whatever reason they stop doing tris and now they need to sell. So if you can nail down sizing and fit, you should be able to find a great tri bike for very reasonable price.

2014-08-06 8:27 AM
in reply to: MikeD1

User image

Pro

The best money I spent getting my kids faster on their road bikes was actually what I spent on mountain bikes for them.  Jr. spent the winter riding his MTB....jumping, sliding, climbing, crashing, and even did a couple of dirt crits....he came out this Spring a MUCH better cyclist.  We spend all kinds of time talking about aero, wheels, bars, etc. when the truth is most people would be a lot faster if they just learned how to ride a bike better.

2014-08-06 10:39 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
I appreciate everyone's input. I think I got exactly the information I needed. The biggest thing I needed to know was that the work I'm putting in now is not going to waste. Like I mentioned; in running I was always aware that the only variable was me, so it was easier to push myself knowing that I was the only thing standing in my way to getting faster. With the bike I just wanted to know (for the time being) that I wasn't shedding blood, sweat and tears to gain 0.5 mph when I could get an instant boost many multiples of that by going to a better bike. (I do realize that speed isn't the best indicator...but come on, I'm riding the cheapest aluminum bike I could find...you think can afford a fancy power meter?)

I do plan on buying a tri bike, but will wait a couple of months. At least now I know how to go about the fitting.

I had an awesome ride this morning. I think it was affirmation of the fact that it is, at least mostly, the engine (obviously not all) but most importantly, that there wasn't any huge barrier I was behind on my current bike that was holding me back. All the interesting "ear worm" sayings that were flying around didn't hurt either. I posted a best time on my 22 mile route by averaging 20.6 mph. That's the fastest I've done a 20+ mile ride. Maybe it was all the talk about chasing more t.i.t.s. Although I pushed so hard on the bike that I was pretty gassed for my subsequent 3 mile run and was huffing an puffing to break an 8:00MM.

Anyway, thanks for all the input!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So Really...How much Does the Bike Matter Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

How much does your bike really matter? Pages: 1 2

Started by ifoundit921
Views: 4772 Posts: 42

2011-07-26 8:17 PM lvis

Does fit really matter on the (road) bike? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by There is no Tri
Views: 5004 Posts: 51

2010-11-03 7:54 PM There is no Tri

Does stiffness really matter on the bike? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by AndrewMT
Views: 4509 Posts: 61

2010-10-31 1:02 PM sand101

Does Cadence Really Matter?

Started by Silver_wlf
Views: 2258 Posts: 19

2009-07-24 4:20 PM breckview

Double or triple crankset - does it really matter?

Started by green
Views: 1918 Posts: 7

2004-02-20 9:35 AM green
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.

date : August 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"