General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DFW - Open Water Swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-16 8:46 AM

Subject: DFW - Open Water Swim
I've got my 1st triathlon scheduled for October 1st and wanted to do at least one open water swim?

Any ideas for a good place to do that? I live in Arlington,TX

MP

2006-08-16 10:45 AM
in reply to: #513117

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth
Subject: RE: DFW - Open Water Swim
Joe Pool Lake is a popular place.
I have done swims in Lake Benbrook.

Both should not be much of a drive if you live in Arlington.
2006-08-16 1:29 PM
in reply to: #513318

Where at Joe Pool? That is 5 minutes from my house...
2006-08-17 3:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth
Only been there once. It is on the north west side of the lake. Sits next to a dinner/marina called Oasis or something. There is a road that heads south from there across the lake. The one time I was down in that area the place was flooded with cyclist. After we got done with the bike ride we jumped in the lake for an OWS. If you need directions I can look them up on mapquest or something and post the link.
2006-08-18 8:05 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Lynn Creek Park at Joe Pool Lake is where Ironhead Race Productions holds several triathlons each year.  There is a boat ramp that is used as the swim start/exit.  From their website (http://www.ironheadrp.com), the race maps/directions should tell you where to go to find it.  You can look for "Metroplex Sprint" or "Ironhead Dallas Olympic" as just two of the races I know are held there.
2006-08-18 11:55 AM

User image

Dallas
Rockledge Park at Grapevine Lake is a popular spot. You won't be alone if you go down there at weekends.

You can find the driving direction at www.nttr.org.

2006-08-21 9:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth
I've been over to Rockledge Park, but was not sure if it was a good place to do OWS. Do you happen to have any distance markers used there?
2006-08-21 10:23 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

I've swum at Rock Ledge several times.  (I may even be going this weekend, although is very uncertain right now.)  It is a popular spot for a couple of reasons:

1) The shoreline is somewhat scalloped, meaning that you can start at the beach and swim across the first 'cove' to the promontory about 500-600m away.  The next one is another 500m away (or 1km you swim there nostop from the start.  If you're looking for a longer swim, the third headland is 1.5k each way.

Here's a link to a map of the area, with the medium distance marked:  http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=379843

2) Beginner friendly.  You don't have to swim straight across.  If you follow the shoreline a little closer, you can stand up an just about any point on the swim.  If you swim straight across, the water is shallow/beach near each promontory, too.  You can rest there before returning.  (Note: I still never swim there alone.  It's just not my preference.  "Always take a buddy", that's my advice.)

3) Groups are reassuring.  (Similar to my last point.)  Team-in-training uses this area for some of their OWS sessions, too.  If you happen to be swimming at the same time as them, you may be pleased to find kayaks in the water watching over their group.  It also give you some other triathletes to chat with.

One piece of advice I'd offer is to plan on swimming early.  Grapevine is a popular lake, bother for fishing in the morning, as well as water sports throughout the day.  When I go, I usually plan to be in the water just after sunrise.  You're may still see a fisherman in the area (but they're pretty good about avoiding swimmers).  It's a bigger problem if you wait, because the water skiers and jet skiers get on the lake, and they are most often not as aware of us.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DFW - Open Water Swim Rss Feed