DuTriRun
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 07m 57s
Overall Rank = 326/1284
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 40/185
Pre-race routine:

Still trying to find a food pre-race dinner that will not cause stomach issues in the morning. I went with spaghetti and meatballs again, but it may have been too much.

A normal breakfast of a Cliff bar and bottle of Gatorade at the hotel. Packed up the car and drove to the park at the end of the race to park close to the finish line.
Event warmup:

Not much need to warmup for a 90 mile race. Just took some time waiting in line at the port-o-let and lined up in the road awaiting the start.
Bike
  • 4h 07m 57s
  • 88 miles
  • 21.29 mile/hr
Comments:

The first 15 miles was done at a comfortable pace as the group sorted out by ability. I ended in the first 10 out of the wave with a group from Valley Athletics providing the pacing until High Cliff. This was nice since the first half was into the wind and saved the legs for later. However, after the hill at High Cliff, I was only able to pickup 3 of the others from the group, 2 of which we dropped in the next 10 miles.

I was able to share the pacing with the cyclists from Tosa Spokesmen for the next 20 miles, at which point we were caught from behind by a group of 3, that we were able to stay with for a couple of miles. However, we were unable to maintain their pace and we were dropped. Soon after, I dropped the rider that I had been with for 40 miles and I was left on my own until near the end.

I picked up a rider with about 10 miles to go that was able to join me for the final push to the finish.

What would you do differently?:

Need to find a similar paced group to work with through the duration, rather than just in places.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing much. Drip water and Gatorade, along with eating some of the provided spaghetti.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inability to find a group to share the work for the back half of the race in the hills.

Last updated: 2014-07-13 12:00 AM
Biking
04:07:57 | 88 miles | 21.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 40/185
Overall: 326/1284
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: The course lulls you with the first half being flat before hitting the hill at High Cliff. From that point on, it is rolling hills to the finish. The intersections are well controlled by police or volunteers, so there is little concern with accidents.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-08-19 7:46 PM

Subject: Ganther Race the Lake
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ganther Race the Lake Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ganther Race the Lake

Started by mbartman
Views: 795 Posts: 1

2013-08-19 9:51 PM mbartman

Lake Run Club Circuit Race #7 - The Lake Run

Started by laurarunz
Views: 1047 Posts: 1

2006-07-06 12:34 AM laurarunz

Suseong Lake Daegu Triathlon Race

Started by odindoggy
Views: 1088 Posts: 1

2006-05-15 6:03 AM odindoggy

Salem Lake 10k Trail Race

Started by jkbostic
Views: 1349 Posts: 8

2005-09-28 2:21 AM snikpos

Y-TRI @ Randolph Lake B-Race

Started by jmf-tt
Views: 987 Posts: 5

2005-07-18 6:39 PM jmf-tt
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : September 26, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.

date : July 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
I have Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I was looking into renting Zipp 303's or 404's for race day for Ironman Lake Placid. What time will I save?
date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.