General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Taught myself the "shoe clipped on pedals" transition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-04-02 7:58 PM
in reply to: #514161

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Taught myself the "shoe clipped on pedals" transition
i just watched the clear water 70.3 on tv and was wondering about transitions. its looks like the pros are there for just a few seconds. and they way they transition off the bike into a run to the bike rack amazed me too. so now i must practice getting out of t1 and getting to t2. thanks for the info guys.

2007-04-02 9:46 PM
in reply to: #746428

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

runpuddrun - 2007-04-02 6:53 PM I too used rubberbands in the past. sometimes they dont' break, sometimes they break and snap at your ankles and hurt like . The link I upped solves that problem.

I dunno...those things in your link look even sturdier than rubber bands.  Got any pictures of them actually attached to your bike?  Maybe I'm not picturing it right... 

2007-04-02 10:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sydney
Best tip I received to do this in and out of Transition is to make sure you are always looking up. Looking down at your feet is a very good way to land on your face!

As soon as I tried this I cracked it and now fly into transition standing on one pedal ! Looks much cooler !
2007-04-03 7:30 AM

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
I watched the Florida 70.3 and was trying to watch the transistions but they didn't show much. I'm debating on whether or not I want to try this. I'm not much on running and biking without socks on so I'm going to be putting socks on anyway in T1. And will this save much time? I'm just not convinced that this saves much time. I would have loved to see it better on the coverage saturday. Anyone have any videos of this being done?
2007-04-03 7:54 AM
in reply to: #746261

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

RBRMIKE - 2007-04-02 5:03 PM Does anyone swing one leg over their bike standing on one peddle when you are coming into t2? I made a quick attempt at this and though better of it. Any suggestions?

Yes, I have practiced it a lot and its a piece of cake once you get the hang of it.  Keeping your head up is good advice.  And this should be obvious but just to make it clear to everyone who might be reading - your feet are out of and on top of the shoes which will remain clipped to the bike when you dismount.  Getting the balance on the bike is the easy part.  The hard part is trusting that your legs will support you when you run off.

2007-04-03 8:31 AM
in reply to: #746745

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
jmickle11 - 2007-04-03 8:30 AM

I watched the Florida 70.3 and was trying to watch the transistions but they didn't show much. I'm debating on whether or not I want to try this. I'm not much on running and biking without socks on so I'm going to be putting socks on anyway in T1. And will this save much time? I'm just not convinced that this saves much time. I would have loved to see it better on the coverage saturday. Anyone have any videos of this being done?

I'm with you on the sock thing, so I figured I'd just put the shoes on there too. I'm down to seven seconds for both shoes on.

To answer your time question...I think I figured this out watching the 70.3 event this weekend.
To the pros, every single second counts or there opponent is GONE. So putting shoes on in
T1 takes time, plus the slow run out to the bike mounting line. To them, shoes in the clips
makes mucho sense. Did you see them hustling out of T1? Hacks like me don't move that
fast, so a few seconds to put the bike shoes on and a fast walk with the bike mean nothing.

2007-04-03 9:11 AM
in reply to: #746299

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

drdi - 2007-04-02 6:48 PM Since this thread has been re-energized, I'd like to ask a question.  Can the shoes on the bike out of T1 be done if there is almost an immediate hill out of transition?  i.e., how much distance do you guys travel before your feet are securely in your shoes?  Thanks!

My suggestion:  If it's a steep hill and it's less than 200 meters from the mount line, put your shoes on in T1.  Anthing farther than that and you'll be fine. 

And does it save time?  YES.  you don't have to sit down to put your shoes on and it's one bend over max (to get your helmet if it's not on your aerobars) vice 2+.  I put socks on in T1 and still saved about 30 seconds in T1 compared to last year where I put my shoes on in T1. 

In regards to a cyclocross dismount.  It's really easy if you practice it a couple of times.  When you get done with you next ride, slip your feet out of your shoes and put them on top.  Then just throw your leg over and coast for a bit.  Jump off and you're off to the races.  And if you lose your balance...let go of the bike!  It's not worth it (blasphamy...I know).

2007-04-03 12:24 PM
in reply to: #514448

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
the bear - 2006-08-17 9:32 AM

Not crucial on an HIM like your TP tired, but certainly helps on sprints and super sprints like the 400/10/2 I'm doing this weekend, where every second counts.

Not usually as crucial, although in the quarter IM this weekend, I ended up 6th (instead of 4th) by only 6 seconds.  Seconds are seconds.

2007-04-03 12:32 PM
in reply to: #747223

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
davidb - 2007-04-03 12:24 PM
the bear - 2006-08-17 9:32 AM

Not crucial on an HIM like your TP tired, but certainly helps on sprints and super sprints like the 400/10/2 I'm doing this weekend, where every second counts.

Not usually as crucial, although in the quarter IM this weekend, I ended up 6th (instead of 4th) by only 6 seconds.  Seconds are seconds.

I don't care what distance you're talking about, faster is faster.  Last year in an OLY I beat a guy in my AG by beating him in transition.  He beat me in each leg of S/B/R, but I beat him in transition by just enough to place ahead of him overall.  And he was goofing off in transition, I only beat him by a little and I was in top 3 for both.  I don't know how he feels about it but if I were him I'd be ticked off about it.

2011-01-13 10:02 AM

User image

Charlotte, NC
Sorry to bring this one back from the dead.  I don't know much about transitioning, but I know a little about rubber bands.  If you're worried about the bands not breaking, leave them in your car for a few weeks.  The temp changes weaken the rubber band to the point of requiring very little effort to break them. 

I popped myself in the face after removing a rubber band from the column shifter in my truck.  It had been on the shifter for a few months.  Took about 1/3 of the normal stretch to break.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Taught myself the "shoe clipped on pedals" transition Rss Feed  

of 2