General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running shoe advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-08 10:53 AM

User image

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
Subject: Running shoe advice
I suffer from knee pain when running, but a properly fit, good pair of running shoes eliminates it. However, I find I have to replace the shoes as early as 200 miles (about three to four months). The shoes rarely show serious wear at this point, however my knee starts twinging and that tells me it's time. I'm about to buy my third pair of the year.

Any advice on brands which may have a longer life (I'm currently in Saucony Triumph 10s)? Anything I can do to increase the life-span of a pair of shoes? I do run in all weathers, how much could this be contributing to the short lifespan of my shoes? I was considering getting two pairs this time and alternating, but I can imagine the spousal response - "You need two pairs this time???". My wife is supportive and understands that if I want to run I need the good shoes, but I can completely understand her looking at a pile of seemingly perfectly good shoes and wondering why the hell I need yet another pair, never mind two. Frankly I feel the same, it's all getting a bit silly.

Of course, the most important part of equation is finding and fixing the muscle weakness causing the knee pain, which I am working on. Meanwhile, I need the shoes...

2014-09-08 7:27 PM
in reply to: douglanglois

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Running shoe advice

it sounds like what you're benefiting from is the cushion.  Triumphs are well cushioned shoes- so, not a bad choice, but there might be some newer high tech designs where the cushion lasts longer.  I had good luck with nike Lunarglides lasting 500-600mi for me.  Not sure how the Adidas Boost line is- but probably good?  You may want to ask the folks at your running shop about which shoes they find hold their cushion the longest.  Sadly- shoes do wear out, and each person wears them out differently.  

The Triumph 10's are now last years' model, so perhaps you can find them on sale and buy 3 pair.  ??

Or- you could go with the more highly cushioned shoes.  Like some Hoka's or altras?  But more cushion often results in less stability.  comfort first.

and - like you said.  strength training, cross training, cycling- may all be in your future.  

I try to get 500 miles out of each of mine as a matter of principle, but often that final 150 miles I'm pushing the injury envelope.  So, one trick is to interleave new shoes with old shoes.  You can squeeze more miles out of the older shoes- if you don't run in them every day.  make sure you buy them in different colors and log the mileage separately, so you can tell them apart.

My local shop takes used shoes in to donate them.  That might make you feel a little better.  There's a high school kid somewhere who cannot afford $120, that would love a pair of gently used 200mi Triumphs to run in.

2014-09-09 7:25 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Subject: RE: Running shoe advice
Alternating two pair of shoes will definitely help extend the life, but only if you run back to back days.

You may also experiment a bit with your gait-- just a bit. I found I got more life out of my shoes and had less injuries when I learned to slightly shorten my stride and take "lighter" steps.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running shoe advice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Running Shoe Advice Needed

Started by Techdiver
Views: 1148 Posts: 10

2010-10-28 5:13 PM m2tx

bike shoes/ running shoes

Started by sbr2007
Views: 1002 Posts: 7

2010-05-06 8:19 AM Lilac J

Trail running shoes vs. road shoes

Started by BellaDad
Views: 866 Posts: 3

2009-03-17 10:28 AM BellaDad

Casual Shoe Size VS Running Shoe Size?

Started by AMR310
Views: 1312 Posts: 4

2008-07-27 9:24 PM jonmetz

Shoe covers for running shoes???

Started by Zilla
Views: 1594 Posts: 5

2006-02-12 6:22 PM vortmax
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 5, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
So, since my beloved go-to shoe brand has changed its shoe, after reading the bruhaha about the minimalist shoe, I decided to give it a try. Now I have a foot issue with my arch area.

date : May 2, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you
date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.

date : November 2, 2011
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries
date : March 23, 2011
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.

date : March 9, 2010
comments : 1
Most people believe that running barefoot is dangerous. Certainly, depending upon the surface, they would be correct. However, there is some suggestion that running barefoot may reduce injuries.
date : May 30, 2005
author : Ontherun
Taking care of your equipment is very important, especially on a limited budget. The following are a few reminders of how to get your equipment to last as long as possible.

date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.