General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What do you all do during off season? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-09-10 11:30 AM
in reply to: rizztalah

, Idaho
Subject: RE: What do you all do during off season?
Everything is still a weakness for me, but this fall/winter I'm focusing on running. I'm doing the Barry P Plan (6 days a week) and then working some swims and rides in.

2014-09-10 11:59 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by msteiner

SWIM

I should be doing this, but I've been riding my bike a ton lately.  Cycling is way more fun!

Yeah......you know the folks I'm around....they say winning is way more fun.

Yeah Yeah.  I'm probably going to drag myself to the pool again soon.  How much kicking should I start out with?

better get in the pool now for Milwaukee next year. gotta get the time down.

Edited by dmiller5 2014-09-10 11:59 AM
2014-09-10 12:08 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I road race March - September and track race Oct - March, so in the month of off season, I hike, ride my mountain bike or just do whatever I feel like.

2014-09-10 12:12 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by dbrook1

SWIM

Not to hijack as hopefully my questions will help others also. What about no swimming? I am FOP in my AG (45-49) on the swim in most of my races with about a 1:35/100 pace depending on race length. However, I definitely need more gains on the bike above what I was able to accomplish this summer (upped speed from 19.8mph in 2013 Oly to 21mph in 2014). As always, run could use work but ran a 7:29/mi pace in that Oly.

During my 1st tri 'off season' last year I did not swim from Sept to April. Having been a swimmer in my younger days, my form is such that any loss in time is due more to swim fitness. Because of that, I was thinking of skipping swimming until Jan/Feb 2015 and working on bike/run. Is this a bad idea? If so, would 1 swim/week of about 2000yds be of any benefit toward maintaining swim fitness? If I wanted to go strictly maintenance mode on everything, would 1 swim, 2 bike, 2 run/wk be OK? Thanks.

You were a swimmer as a kid.....and you swim 1:35/100 now.   What would it take for you to get to 1:15-1:20/100? Can you?  I'm assuming you can if you have a good swim background.  So in a sprint distance race of 750M, for instance, you could conceivably gain 1:30 - 2:00 minutes.  What will it take you to gain 2 minutes on a 12 mile bike?  What will it take to gain 2 minutes on a 3 mile run?  Do you think you can get to 6:45/mile with the same amount of work you can get to 1:20/100 on the swim?  I don't.

I agree that everyone needs to decide where they can make the biggest gains to improve their race, and what they actually want out of a race, but most people never think about the swim as a race changer because it's harder and not as much fun as biking or running.  I'm around people who win races......they swim fast.  Not all off them always did. 

I realize this is a pretty simplistic view, but most triathletes neglect the swim (in today's triathlon world that's a non-starter for a fast race)....and for someone like you, with a background, there is likely quite a bit of time you are leaving on the table.

Excellent points and possibly relevant to my last tri. I missed my 1st ever podium by 33sec. My pace for the 1/2mi swim was 1:31. If it was 1:27, I would have been on the podium. By the same token, if I would have increased my bike speed by 0.3mph, the same would have been accomplished. For that 'minimal' of a time gain, it's likely neither of those 'ifs' were training related but more race mgmt related.

When I look at my race results, I see myself FOP on the swim, MOP on the bike, and F-MOP on the run. Because of this, I have (mistakenly?) decided that the biggest gains for me relative to my competition would be bike-related. Dropping from 1:35/100 to 1:20 on the swim would net me around 3:57 on an Oly. Increasing bike from 21mph to 22.5 would net me about 4:36. However, that's not to say I couldn't try for both and gain about 8-1/2min... That would have bumped me up from 8th to the podium on my last Oly! I think it would be 'easier' for me to gain the 1.5mph on the bike than drop the 15sec/100 on the swim. Again, mistaken? Certainly possible.

2014-09-10 12:36 PM
in reply to: dbrook1

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Maybe I don't have room to talk since I have basically taken a couple years off???

But in the past for me:

We really don't have a winter here and the first race of the season is in April.  The last is R&R marathon in December.  So take the last couple weeks off in Dec. for for the holidays then get right into a 12 week plan for an April race.

2014-09-10 12:37 PM
in reply to: Swimbikeron

User image

Pennsylvania

Play ice hockey.  Swim at Masters.  Bike on the trainer (with TrainerRoad), or outside, weather and time permitting.  Run outside unless it's icy.  Mainly I just worry a little less if I miss a workout.

2014-09-10 12:40 PM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Since this is my first official off season, I know have a lot to work on and will stick with all 3 disciplines through the winter. Weight loss is my primary goal as I'd like to drop from 250 to 225 before next season (April Duathlon or May Triathlon, haven't decided). Have a 4k in late December.

Swim- sitting at about 2:30/100. I know this is slow, but not my primary focus. Bilateral breathing is the focus this winter. 1x-2x/week.
Bike- avg'd 15.4 in May and 16.5 in Sept. I can hit the mid-20s, but can not maintain. Goal is to build endurance. 2x-3x/week (really need a trainer)
Run- walked in both races this year. Only managed a single full run 5k. Running is my focus (3x-4x/week) and would LOVE to see a sub-35:00 5k.

I'm not looking for podium finishes next year. I am looking to add 1 or 2 more sprints and crush the times I set this year: 1:51 @ Memphis in May Sprint and 1:59 @ Riverbluff Sprint.

Edited by WebFootFreak 2014-09-10 12:41 PM
2014-09-10 12:48 PM

User image

Pro

SWIM

Not to hijack as hopefully my questions will help others also. What about no swimming? I am FOP in my AG (45-49) on the swim in most of my races with about a 1:35/100 pace depending on race length. However, I definitely need more gains on the bike above what I was able to accomplish this summer (upped speed from 19.8mph in 2013 Oly to 21mph in 2014). As always, run could use work but ran a 7:29/mi pace in that Oly.

During my 1st tri 'off season' last year I did not swim from Sept to April. Having been a swimmer in my younger days, my form is such that any loss in time is due more to swim fitness. Because of that, I was thinking of skipping swimming until Jan/Feb 2015 and working on bike/run. Is this a bad idea? If so, would 1 swim/week of about 2000yds be of any benefit toward maintaining swim fitness? If I wanted to go strictly maintenance mode on everything, would 1 swim, 2 bike, 2 run/wk be OK? Thanks.

You were a swimmer as a kid.....and you swim 1:35/100 now.   What would it take for you to get to 1:15-1:20/100? Can you?  I'm assuming you can if you have a good swim background.  So in a sprint distance race of 750M, for instance, you could conceivably gain 1:30 - 2:00 minutes.  What will it take you to gain 2 minutes on a 12 mile bike?  What will it take to gain 2 minutes on a 3 mile run?  Do you think you can get to 6:45/mile with the same amount of work you can get to 1:20/100 on the swim?  I don't.

I agree that everyone needs to decide where they can make the biggest gains to improve their race, and what they actually want out of a race, but most people never think about the swim as a race changer because it's harder and not as much fun as biking or running.  I'm around people who win races......they swim fast.  Not all off them always did. 

I realize this is a pretty simplistic view, but most triathletes neglect the swim (in today's triathlon world that's a non-starter for a fast race)....and for someone like you, with a background, there is likely quite a bit of time you are leaving on the table.

Excellent points and possibly relevant to my last tri. I missed my 1st ever podium by 33sec. My pace for the 1/2mi swim was 1:31. If it was 1:27, I would have been on the podium. By the same token, if I would have increased my bike speed by 0.3mph, the same would have been accomplished. For that 'minimal' of a time gain, it's likely neither of those 'ifs' were training related but more race mgmt related.

When I look at my race results, I see myself FOP on the swim, MOP on the bike, and F-MOP on the run. Because of this, I have (mistakenly?) decided that the biggest gains for me relative to my competition would be bike-related. Dropping from 1:35/100 to 1:20 on the swim would net me around 3:57 on an Oly. Increasing bike from 21mph to 22.5 would net me about 4:36. However, that's not to say I couldn't try for both and gain about 8-1/2min... That would have bumped me up from 8th to the podium on my last Oly! I think it would be 'easier' for me to gain the 1.5mph on the bike than drop the 15sec/100 on the swim. Again, mistaken? Certainly possible.

I think the gain you want on the bike is absolutely doable.  But you have an advantage that the overwhelming majority of people in triathlon at your age don't have......a swim background.  That can be a real game changer and you should work to get those improvements in your swim time that you know are out there....non-swimmers feel like they are chasing a ghost trying to drop time, you don't have that problem.

2014-09-10 12:54 PM

User image

SWIM

I think the gain you want on the bike is absolutely doable.  But you have an advantage that the overwhelming majority of people in triathlon at your age don't have......a swim background.  That can be a real game changer and you should work to get those improvements in your swim time that you know are out there....non-swimmers feel like they are chasing a ghost trying to drop time, you don't have that problem.

I appreciate your advice and am going to give it some serious consideration as it makes good sense and now you kind have me fired up   Now, enough about my questions and back to the others. Thanks!

2014-09-10 4:13 PM

, Wisconsin
Question for LB and anyone else who wants to chime in:

We'll be heading to FL in mid-Nov to get away from our 2nd " Avoid Wisconsin" winter. I may not have much access to pool down there, other than our 13yrd oblong Condo pool (unheated). I do now own a full wetsuit. I was thinking of try to OWS maybe 3 times a week or so working on endurance and form, maybe some sort of beeper to help me do intervals? Also could do 3 times a week or so in the pool using an ankle strap to the ladder to swim in place. Any suggestions how I can maximize gains with these givens? Best time for 100 yards is around 1:40. Any input is appreciated!

Edited by MikeD1 2014-09-10 4:13 PM
2014-09-10 5:48 PM
in reply to: MikeD1

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by MikeD1 Question for LB and anyone else who wants to chime in: We'll be heading to FL in mid-Nov to get away from our 2nd " Avoid Wisconsin" winter. I may not have much access to pool down there, other than our 13yrd oblong Condo pool (unheated). I do now own a full wetsuit. I was thinking of try to OWS maybe 3 times a week or so working on endurance and form, maybe some sort of beeper to help me do intervals? Also could do 3 times a week or so in the pool using an ankle strap to the ladder to swim in place. Any suggestions how I can maximize gains with these givens? Best time for 100 yards is around 1:40. Any input is appreciated!

How literal is that "Avoid Wisconsin Winter"? Is this a few weeks or several months?

2014-09-10 6:00 PM

Master
Northern IL

SWIM

I appreciate your advice and am going to give it some serious consideration as it makes good sense and now you kind have me fired up   Now, enough about my questions and back to the others. Thanks!

Over the past year we've had some former swimmers join in at masters and they make a jump not too different from what you're looking at inside maybe 2 months? Mid-high 1:20's/100 pacing down to 1:teen something. I don't know their experience before, but it was on 3-4 sessions a week for roughly 10,000-13,000 or so yds. So you could get a nice bump in speed without having swimming dominate your off-season.

2014-09-10 6:36 PM
in reply to: brigby1

, Wisconsin
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by MikeD1 Question for LB and anyone else who wants to chime in: We'll be heading to FL in mid-Nov to get away from our 2nd " Avoid Wisconsin" winter. I may not have much access to pool down there, other than our 13yrd oblong Condo pool (unheated). I do now own a full wetsuit. I was thinking of try to OWS maybe 3 times a week or so working on endurance and form, maybe some sort of beeper to help me do intervals? Also could do 3 times a week or so in the pool using an ankle strap to the ladder to swim in place. Any suggestions how I can maximize gains with these givens? Best time for 100 yards is around 1:40. Any input is appreciated!

How literal is that "Avoid Wisconsin Winter"? Is this a few weeks or several months?

Probably 5-6 months. Last year we came back in mid-May.
2014-09-10 6:37 PM
in reply to: MikeD1

User image

Pro
Originally posted by MikeD1

Dude.....find a pool!!
2014-09-10 7:10 PM

User image

I usually do two bikes, two swims, and two runs a week, more of a maintenance speed than really pushing. That way I'm ready to go when the snow melts in April and May.
2014-09-10 7:33 PM

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

There is no off season for me.  I exercise, eat right, and get enough sleep to stave off the ravages that come along with getting  older.  This allows me at the advanced age of 56 to be able to do the things I did when I was in my teens, twenties, and thirties.    It allow me to live my life without having to take any medication that most people my age have to deal with.     It also lets me keep up with my 30 year old girl friend....   Right now, this combination is the only fountain of youth that there is.

Edited by MadMathemagician 2014-09-10 7:34 PM

2014-09-10 7:40 PM
in reply to: #5048548

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
First a few weeks of nothing to recover and recoup. Then strength training 2x per week, CompuTrainer and some relaxed running. XC skiing for conditioning and fun and downhill just because it's a blast (and burns those quads!)
2014-09-10 8:55 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by rizztalah

Sweet Trolls, I'm back with more questions...

So, I don't really know when "off season" is... I'm assuming it's just when there aren't really anymore races this year.

With that said, do you still train? How do you train? Do you do other non triathlon races? How do you stay motivated for the next year?

Rest 2-3 weeks, light activity

Plan off-season goals, future season goals

Develop a 8-12 week specific block to improve on one discipline

Lots of snowboard, XC ski, and snowshoe

Refresh the mind, body, and soul

Engage in my other hobbies

Be social

ETC
2014-09-11 11:27 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

My plan:

1) redo Intermediate Sprint Plan since I need improvement in all 3; 2nd time around , I'll focus on improving time, injury free

2) make extra money to fund my "tri habit"
2014-09-11 11:58 AM

User image

Durham, North Carolina

Dude.....find a pool!!

Where in FL?
2014-09-11 12:43 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

What is this "off season" of which you speak?

Okay, in a serious note: I kind of have a minimum level of activity that keep me sane/keeps me from tearing peoples' heads off. It's generally a higher level than what most people would consider "for my health". Was a lot easier when my body wasn't as delicate with respect to running longer distances (or these days, running at all). So for riding, it hovers around an hour a day of saddle time that feel is my low point. Less than that and I start getting twitchy.

2014-09-11 1:05 PM
in reply to: pwoolson

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Originally posted by pwoolson

Here in the great Northern Tundra, Tri season is the cross training season for the Nordic Ski training season. Once the snow flies, I get giddy with excitement.
I'm not sure where you live, but if you could work some XC skiing into the mix, you wouldn't regret it.

Couldn't agree more. Cross country skiing is wonderful. Winter isn't an off season - it's just a different season.
2014-09-11 1:11 PM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Lupy

Dude.....find a pool!!
Where in FL?

Every city in Florida I just googled had a YMCA.......and I'm sure there are master programs down there since it's a big USA swimming state.  High schools and community colleges don't have pools there?  There are no fitness centers with pools?  It's not the moon, it's Florida.

2014-09-11 2:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Run, bike and swim.
2014-09-11 2:31 PM

, Wisconsin

Originally posted by Lupy

Dude.....find a pool!!
Where in FL?

Every city in Florida I just googled had a YMCA.......and I'm sure there are master programs down there since it's a big USA swimming state.  High schools and community colleges don't have pools there?  There are no fitness centers with pools?  It's not the moon, it's Florida.

Okay, uncle already It's Clearwater, FL and yes there is a Y. I was just trying to be creative, cheap, and try something new (I've only swam in the Gulf a handful of times). Plus, part of our condo expense is tied up in that pool that barely gets used. Anyway, if I do the bulk of my work at the Y pool, would there be anything wrong with doing some OWS in the Gulf?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What do you all do during off season? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

To off season or not to off season???

Started by molly@rosenblumlawlv
Views: 2070 Posts: 14

2011-08-29 11:26 AM PinkPrincess

Done and done

Started by skinnyterror
Views: 2109 Posts: 13

2013-07-11 4:55 PM TTom

Golf During The Season and Off Season

Started by TRI G33K
Views: 1384 Posts: 14

2009-11-18 3:54 PM Laffenguy

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1661 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman

Off Season Training - Over doing it?

Started by Shortknee1
Views: 937 Posts: 4

2008-08-15 1:08 AM Gerrard
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 18, 2013
author : eric_kenney
comments : 0
Looking at your past training to figure out the future season.

date : December 22, 2011
author : Mikael67
End of season thoughts and tips
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : February 7, 2008
author : AMSSM
The off season should be just that – a time to rest your body, to rehabilitate injury, and to plan ahead on how to improve performance and prevent injury in the season to come.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.