General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Did I get the wrong size bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-10 9:11 AM

Subject: Did I get the wrong size bike?
When I bought my bike. I was not very knowledgeable about them and I'm still not. The shop I went to recommended that I get a little bigger bike so I could stretch out more on the bike. Most shops I went to said I should be about a 56 since I'm around 5'9 to 5'10. With the 58 I didn't "hurt" myself when I got off the seat and straddled it so that was the size I went with. After sizing and riding awhile I really like the bike but I'm starting to think I should have gotten a 56 instead. When I come to a stop and put my foot down I'm on my toes the whole time when is annoying when I sit at a light for a few minutes. I'm also concerned that I might be so far back that I might not be able to use clip on aero bars. But also keep in mind that I might just be talking out of my a$$ since I'm just starting this whole triathlon thing and could very well have no idea what I'm talking about.

2014-09-10 12:56 PM
in reply to: gnat1000

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Did I get the wrong size bike?

Just to help me visualize...

what kind of bike?  Road?  Triathlon?

You have to be on your toes when you stop?  Are you still sitting on the saddle or do you have to be on your toes so you crotch doesn't hit the top tube?

I would venture to guess that are fine enough for a first bike.  I don't think even a half decent bike shop is going to put you on something COMPLETELY wrong (I'm sure there are exceptions).  There is not that much difference between a 56 and 58 anyway.  Less than an inch taller, longer, etc...

If you really want to know, go to competitivecyclist.com.  They have a bike fitting calculator.  Take measurements of your body (best to do it 2 to 3 times and take the average - and maybe get some help).  Plug in the measurements then it will spit out bike measurements.  REACH being the most important.  Compare those to the factory measurements for the bike you bought.  I'm betting you will be in the acceptable range or just BARELY out of it.  If you are way off, then you have a case.  But then you are probably looking at something other than a 56 or 58.

I would be interested to hear about the results.

2014-09-10 2:04 PM
in reply to: Kido

I'll certainly use the calculator once I get home. To answer your initial questions, It's a road bike. When I'm on my toes I'm still in the saddle. When I get off the saddle and straddle the bike my crotch never hits the top tube. When I bought the bike I was told that as long as my crotch doesn't hit the top tube then the size is not too big.
2014-09-10 9:58 PM
in reply to: gnat1000

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
I'm 5'9", size 9 shoe, and ride a 56cm Cannondale Super6. When I come to a stop and sit on the saddle my toes barely touch the ground. I use a 100 mm stem, and 172.5 mm cranks. At 5'9" I could just as easily have gone with a 54 cm frame and 110 mm stem. The reason I did not do so was safety. On frames smaller than 56 cm my shoe hits the wheel when pedaling a moderated to sharp turn, but not on a 56 cm frame. The 58 cm frame should give you adequate shoe - wheel clearance when you turn at a half way mark.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Did I get the wrong size bike? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

What's wrong with this bike?

Started by rjrankin83
Views: 1459 Posts: 11

2012-06-16 5:05 PM PeteDin206

Tri bike size vs road bike

Started by triturn
Views: 1083 Posts: 7

2007-02-12 12:31 PM greenmtnman

Bike Frame Size versus Bike Fit

Started by Jak
Views: 697 Posts: 3

2006-06-10 5:24 PM the bear

Bike Computer Wrong?

Started by rbschlesinger
Views: 754 Posts: 6

2005-12-12 10:07 PM turqy

Wrong tube size?

Started by monterey411
Views: 688 Posts: 2

2005-08-08 8:22 AM ride_like_u_stole_it
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
We are often asked the question, "What size frame should I buy" and the answer is “it depends”. I know that’s not the answer you want to hear, but hopefully the following will shed some more light.