General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sunscreen Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-14 1:41 PM

New user

Chicago, IL
Subject: Sunscreen
(Sorry if this is a common thread)

I got the worst sunburn of my adult life this past weekend. I doused myself in Banana Boat Sport Sunblock (25 or 30 SPF) before putting on my tri suit. I know that it's supposed to be reapplied after being in water, but I really didn't have much time to reapply. Any tricks to this? Is there a better sunscreen to use?

My shoulders and face appreciate any help you can offer.

2004-07-14 1:47 PM
in reply to: #37408

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Subject: RE: Sunscreen
I have personally found that Banana Boat and Panama Jack sunscreens are not very effective. I remember reading a Consumer Reports article stating that they performed the worst in their tests.

I usually stick with the Coppertone 30 or 45 Waterproof. I still get some color, but not any burn. Also, you should apply it and allow it to dry for 10 minutes before jumping into the water.

For your face, I would get one of those sun block "sticks" specifically for faces. The lotions can run into your eyes, where the sport sticks are more like a gel and stay in place. Plus, they don't burn like the heavy duty lotions will sometimes.
2004-07-14 1:56 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Roscoe, IL.
Coppertone Sport, Bullfrog, Lil' Gator. There's a thread under the "product review" forum that has some great suggestions.
Make no appology for bringing this up. I had my skin cancer surgery last May. The bill was over $4000.00. That would have bought a lot of sunscreen and a very nice bike.
Wear your snscreen folks, a nice tan is a sign of skin damage.
2004-07-14 4:38 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Aren't there some wipes you can carry too? I imagine you could put them in your bike jersey and apply them just after getting on the bike -- if taking the time in transition isn't an option.

And I second the recommendation for Coppertone Waterproof. I use the SPF 45 and don't burn at all. It still allows some sun through and I've been getting more freckles despite it, but I can only image what I'd look like without it!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sunscreen Rss Feed