General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Brand new, from Houston (Katy actually) Texas Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-18 4:43 PM

Katy, TX
Subject: Brand new, from Houston (Katy actually) Texas
Just wanted to say hey. I live in Houston, and was wondering about any swim clubs in Katy, or West Houston. My training is mainly confined to early mornings. Do you all know of any swim groups locally?

Thanks,

John

2006-08-18 4:49 PM
in reply to: #516076

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: Brand new, from Houston (Katy actually) Texas

Welcome to BT!

I'm up in DFW so I can't help with your specific questions, but there are several other Katy-ans, Katyites?, around here.

2006-08-18 5:09 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,

The Houston Racing Triathlon Club has a weekly swim workout Sunday afternoons at Dad's Club in West Houston, I-10 and Voss.  HRTC costs only $25 A YEAR to join and has tons of other benefits too: www. houstonracing.com.

Dad's Club has a 50m outdoor pool.  It's available to HRTC members for FREE from 1pm to 6pm Sundays, and most weeks HRTC has a coach there from 2:30 to 4 for those who would like a specific workout and some help.  Check the "swim" forum at houstonracing.com to see if there's a coach this week or not... I think it might be an "off" week.

Welcome to BT!  We have a bunch of people in the Houston area, including some in Katy.  Stick around, and happy tri'ing!

2006-08-18 9:09 PM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)

Hey there neighbor!

What part of Katy are you in? We are Cinco Ranch BLVD & Westhiemer Pkwy.

I usually swim at one of the local pools, Greenway Village has 2 lanes for laps and Highland Park also has 1 or 2 lanes open. Other than that, I swim at lunch at the Y (but not our Y).

We have a bike club, KCG (Katy Cycle Gang), that rides on Saturday mornings. We do 40-80 miles at 17-22 mph avg (depending on where in the pack you ride). There are a few tri folks in our group. I usually ride my tri bike, so areobars are welcome. Let me know if you want to ride with us, we start around 7am at the Y.

Running I do on my own (on lunch or with my wife, Mrs Fish).

Looks like you are doing Cinco next week, Mrs Fish and I will be racing, the kids will be racing in the kids tri at Lifetime Fitness next Saturday. You should come and watch the future of triathlon.

hope to see ya there!

Welcome to BT!!!!

Edited by Freeswimmingfish 2006-08-18 9:18 PM
2006-08-19 11:03 PM

Katy, TX
Hey Joe,

Wow...I am usually at the ex Ken Lay YMCA every morning around 6:30am. I usually swim there, but today I discovered Mary Jo Peckham Park, and their lap pool. I like it alot better than the Y. Right now I live in Old Katy, on Katy Hockley Rd. past 529. Way out in the boonies. It's very convenient for riding, but running is another story. Too many angry dog encounters. I actually might show up for a Sat. ride...thanks for the invite. I am not sure that I am ready for 80 miles though. But, I plan to be soon.

I am really excited about Cinco, and I almost signed my 9 year old up for the Lifetime fitness one on Saturday. However, we are having a Chuck E. Cheese Bday party for my 3 year old on the same day. Daddy is racing on her real birthday.

Great to meet you, and thanks for the information everyone else. I am uber-excited about Triathlon and can't wait till next week. (first race)

John
2006-08-21 8:34 AM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Hey John Welcome,

My wife and I are also in Houston (beltway 8 and memorial). We swim at Dad's Club and ride either at George Bush park or Memorial Park. Cinco will also be my first tri this weekend and then I am also doing Texas Man in Sept. I caught the tri bug from my wife who has been doing them for 5 years now and I always watched and volunteered but never thought I would actually do one. Now I am talking about Ironman...what am I thinking?!?!

Luke

2006-08-21 1:23 PM

Katy, TX
Good to talk to you Luke. So, where is the Texas Man? I guess I need to find out somemore information. I'd like to do one more this year, and perhaps a half-marathon this January. Good luck this weekend. I am in Vegas all week and it's going to be tough to get anything done.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Brand new, from Houston (Katy actually) Texas Rss Feed