General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Warranties Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-02 3:00 PM

Subject: Bike Warranties
I have noticed most major bike companies' warranties state that bike racing or competitive riding will void the warranty. That makes no sense to me. If I end up with a cracked frame during a triathlon will it not be covered? To me riding for exercise and riding in a race is still riding. Am I missing something?

2014-10-02 4:18 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: Bike Warranties
Not that this specific case happened to me, a warranty usually covers the wear and tear from normal usage. riding a bike = normal usage. Falling with a bike or being hit by a car = not normal usage.

Or as some would state it, a warranty is good up until the moment you need it.

Honestly, if it happened to me, I would try to claim and see what happens. If the company has no reason to think you used it under abnormal circumstance they may reimburse you. If not they may either refuse your claim or perform an investigation.

Edited by Antoine tri 2014-10-02 4:19 PM
2014-10-02 5:49 PM
in reply to: boomer_sooner0584

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

The warranty for my bike is limited to manufacturer defects. Any damage that results from "Wear and Tear", "Accidents" or some other event will not be covered. I am also covered whenever a more endemic defect is discovered and they issue a recall. (Like they did for the carbon head tube on the older forks)

They also don't cover any of the components or the workmanship of the assembly because that is handled by the LBS.

This bike is built for performance first  and so there is no distinction between training and racing.

That being said, they do have a great program where if I ever do blow up my frame under any circumstance, they will offer a replacement "At Cost". (A Substantial Discount) Other manufacturers may also offer this but I have not seen it called out.

I hope I never have to use the replacement option, but it sure is nice to know it is there.

A friend of mine had his frame crack a few years ago and the manufacturer did a complete replacement for free but his frame was covered under an unconditional warranty. (It was part of the sales pitch for titanium bikes)

2014-10-03 6:24 AM

User image

Queen Creek, Arizona
Trek has a warranty that you can purchase that covers just about anything, including crashes during races. and parts wearing out. I have a project one 9 speed concept look into it.

(20140731_182028.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20140731_182028.jpg (2655KB - 4 downloads)
2014-10-03 7:21 AM

I have a trek mtb with a cracked seat stay at the weld. It broke during "normal" mountain bike riding. It was not covered. The bike was well maintained but it was also ridden hard on trails and had obvious signs of wear.

(I was not the owner when it happened it was given to me after the accident and Trek rejected the claim, I plan on replacing the frame with a $100 nashbar frame for my son)
2014-10-04 5:56 AM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Queen Creek, Arizona
http://cycleryusa.com/about/trek-care-plus-pg644.htm

sure they have rules..... most don't cover second hand

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Warranties Rss Feed