General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-13 1:53 PM

Subject: First bike
Completed my first triathlon this weekend on a borrowed mountain bike. My time in every event sucked, but i finished and after the initial soreness subsided, realized that I wanted to do it again. Ready to make the investment for an entry level road bike to participate in future events. Visited a couple of LBSs and had someone at the last store spend quite a bit of time with me discussing features, options, etc. Based on budget and what I plan to do with the bike, the recommendation was a Specialized Allez 54cm. Any opinions on this recommendation? My budget for the bike is less than $800 and this one comes in at $760 with complementary tune ups and adjustments for the first year. They do have a used Specialized 54cm road bike that is on the level of a Secteur (it may even be a Secteur) that appears to be in okay condition for $400 (maybe $350). It doesn't have clip pedals, but the kind with the straps, which I guess would be a slight improvement over the plain pedals that come on the starter level bikes. Tuneups and adjustments wouldn't be complementary on the used bike. Those are approximately $65.

Opinions? I like the idea of new, but I could get the used bike plus some accessories and still be substantially less than the price of the new bike alone.

Also, what accessories would be must haves right away? I'm thinking a decent pair of padded cycling shorts are about it until I get the feel of either bike and comfortable with it.

2014-10-13 1:59 PM
in reply to: steve.watkins

Subject: Edit
The used bike isn't a Specialized. It's a Trek 1000. Approximately a 2010 model.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First Bike Shoes

Started by jrlittle
Views: 704 Posts: 4

2006-03-02 10:00 AM the bear

First bike

Started by KevinthePRF
Views: 901 Posts: 11

2005-09-01 9:54 PM velocomp

First Bike Advice

Started by KiteFlyer
Views: 1352 Posts: 13

2005-08-25 3:54 AM KiteFlyer

My first bike

Started by MKraus64
Views: 1036 Posts: 19

2005-08-15 4:35 PM Rollin' Thunder

I Adopted My First Bike!!

Started by line
Views: 866 Posts: 16

2005-08-03 3:34 AM Chris Tree
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 27, 2012
author : davey m
comments : 3
Deciding on an Ironman as my first venture into triathlon was greeted with incredulity and astonishment combined with a hint of, "well, you're full of yourself aren't you?" and, "a bit ambitious?"

date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.
date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
comments : 0
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.
date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
comments : 0
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 1
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.