General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Has triathlon lost it's "cool"? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2014-10-14 4:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: Has triathlon lost it's "cool"?

Originally posted by Kido

• I based it on the loss of IM races or IM races not filling up as fast or not filling up completely at all.  Less mystique/conversation about them here and in general public.

There are far more IM or 70.3 branded races now then there were in years past.  The number of participants has grown, and grown a lot.

• FAR less televised programs.  I seem to remember they had quit a bit on TV a couple years ago.  Many 1 hour shows for the IM's and a lot of ITU races.

Triathlon was hardly ever on TV.  There's just as much coverage as before on NBC Sports (Universal).

• HUGELY decreased  conversation/participation in BT.  I haven't been to my ST account in a long time to get a feel for over there.  It seems before the complaint was people were asking the same questions over and over again.  At lease there was enough new people TO ask the same question - not I rarely see any questions at all - much less repeat questions.

BT lost a lot of its traffic when they converted the site a year or two ago and it never bounced back.  ST is humming along as usual.

• Canceling/removing local races from the schedule.

Too many races sprung up in the triathlon popularity explosion that started around 2008 or so.  Everyone was looking to make a buck and let's face it... most of the races that were born during that time pretty much sucked.  While triathlon's popularity has continued to increase, it's not at the rate it increased in the 2008-2011 timeframe.  So there's just not enough participants to justify all those races.  An industry wide contraction was long overdue.  2013 and 2014 thinned the herd.  Ironman has been more or less immune to this.  They are only cannibalizing themselves at this point.

Edited by GMAN 19030 2014-10-14 4:42 PM

2014-10-14 4:44 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by msteiner

I agree with the crossfit observation.  Gyms are popping up all over the place here drawing a lot people.  Maybe mostly the people wanting to get fit vs compete.

I think that has a lot to do with it.  The gyms over time are a larger investment, but the initial startup cost of triathlon can be perceived as high.  Also I feel that triathletes want to market the sport as this super tough challenge, because let's face it, a lot of people want a pat on the back for doing these things.  Crossfit on the other hand is marketed as a way for normal people to get super fit super fast, and everyone can get started TODAY!

If I never got into tri, I couldn't say that I wouldn't have at least tried it by now.  Fortunately I enjoy cycling way more (which is currently my primary exercise).

Crossfit championships fill up entire stadiums with spectators and is carried on ESPN......wtf? 

I blame swimming......most people just don't want to put in the time to get proficient in swimming. 

Which is interesting, because you would think that duathlons would be more popular, but saying you did a triathlon sounds more impressive.

2014-10-14 4:46 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

Master
, California

Universal Sports also got dropped by Comcast around 2012 as I recall.  Which could easily contribute to Kido's perception.

2014-10-14 4:49 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by Jason N

I think there are two parts at play here.

1.  The people who get into triathlon because they really enjoy it, want to compete (against others or against themselves) and want to stick with the sport long term.

2.  The people who are looking for an activity to do on their free time, and are more concerned with a fun way to stay active than actually compete.

The #1 group is pretty steady IMO.  That's why IM is still going strong...because they cater more towards the #1 group.  Your local sprints and Olys depend a little more on the #2 group than the WTC does with their IMs and 70.3s.  The #2 group now has a lot more options.  They always had 5ks and 10ks to compete with...but now they have boot camps, crossfit, color runs, warrior dash, ect.  

The local Warrior Dash gets up to 2000 participants in one day.  That's more than all the local triathlons combined that we have here.

Jason, 

I am thinking you are on to something there.

Not everyone can or should go for HIM/ IM distance.  I know my body rebels on the long volume training and I am content to participate in sprints/ olympic distance.  I love the sport but primarily race for the fun of it.  

I participate in fewer races than I used to for a few reasons....one is financial, I have 2 kids in college that doesn't leave me with a lot of disposable income for race fees.  

Another is the one local race organization that does most of the triathlons in my area just plain stinks.  I refuse to support the organization with my few available dollars.  So, I pay a little more to take part in races through Rev 3 and Set Up (though Set Up is not as expensive as the Rev 3 races)

Some is related to time, I enjoy cross training as a whole and do not want to give up all my available time to solitary swim-bike-run training when I can go toss a medicine ball or something that my husband will take part in.  He doesn't do any training related to triathlon and while he is a good race sherpa he would sooner watch grass grow than run, he hates swimming and doesn't particularly enjoy biking so if I can get my chubby hubby to a boot camp class or in a gym to throw a medicine ball with me I will go with him to keep him motivated.

The thing about fitness as a whole is there are many avenues for all sorts of fitness.  Sometimes because of injury or other life event we have to change our focus.  Does it make triathlon less cool?  No, it just means our interests or priorities have had to change.  It's only uncool to those who have tried one and said "Nope, never doing THAT again" and meant it ....

2014-10-14 5:03 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by RedCorvette

At best triathlon is always going to be a participant-oriented niche sport. 

That's not true for much of the world.......look at the crowds in Europe as an example.  I think your comment will not hold up in the coming generations here.  Granted, I spend a lot of times with kids.....but you need to know that they don't look at it the same as we do/did.  They have fantasy leagues, follow triathlon closely, and are BIG fans of the sport.  It's not the same vibe with them.....there are no "bucket listers".....these kids are players.

You could make the same argument about soccer, Formula 1 racing, pro cycling or even team handball.  All immensely popular around the world, except in the US.   I love triathlon, but they'll have NFL franchises in Europe before triathlon ever becomes close to being a mainstream sport in the US.  Too much competition and not enough profit potential.  It all comes down to economics in the end. 

One possible opportunity I see is for 2 hour ITU-style races 'packaged' as a pro sport on cable or streaming internet outlets by providers looking for ways to fill airtime/bandwidth.  One thing for certain, even the most dedicated triathlon fan isn't going to sit in front of their TV every week for eight hours to watch the 'IM of the Week'   

Mark 

2014-10-14 6:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North

I agree with the crossfit observation.  Gyms are popping up all over the place here drawing a lot people.  Maybe mostly the people wanting to get fit vs compete.

I think that has a lot to do with it.  The gyms over time are a larger investment, but the initial startup cost of triathlon can be perceived as high.  Also I feel that triathletes want to market the sport as this super tough challenge, because let's face it, a lot of people want a pat on the back for doing these things.  Crossfit on the other hand is marketed as a way for normal people to get super fit super fast, and everyone can get started TODAY!

If I never got into tri, I couldn't say that I wouldn't have at least tried it by now.  Fortunately I enjoy cycling way more (which is currently my primary exercise).

Crossfit championships fill up entire stadiums with spectators and is carried on ESPN......wtf? 

I blame swimming......most people just don't want to put in the time to get proficient in swimming. 

Lol... crossfit

2014-10-14 6:14 PM
in reply to: msteiner

Master
Northern IL

Which is interesting, because you would think that duathlons would be more popular, but saying you did a triathlon sounds more impressive.

I see that all the time too. Some people do have lack of races around them, but for many it seems to be the prestige of triathlon. Too worried about what others think even though everything they say would seem to lean towards duathlon. Sometimes it's not wanting to "waste" any of their training which is funny because they'll go right ahead and sign up for a marathon that will totally dominate what training time they have anyway. Those other activities do seem to get that name brand interest more easily.

2014-10-14 6:35 PM

User image

Pro

At best triathlon is always going to be a participant-oriented niche sport. 

That's not true for much of the world.......look at the crowds in Europe as an example.  I think your comment will not hold up in the coming generations here.  Granted, I spend a lot of times with kids.....but you need to know that they don't look at it the same as we do/did.  They have fantasy leagues, follow triathlon closely, and are BIG fans of the sport.  It's not the same vibe with them.....there are no "bucket listers".....these kids are players.

You could make the same argument about soccer, Formula 1 racing, pro cycling or even team handball.  All immensely popular around the world, except in the US.   I love triathlon, but they'll have NFL franchises in Europe before triathlon ever becomes close to being a mainstream sport in the US.  Too much competition and not enough profit potential.  It all comes down to economics in the end. 

One possible opportunity I see is for 2 hour ITU-style races 'packaged' as a pro sport on cable or streaming internet outlets by providers looking for ways to fill airtime/bandwidth.  One thing for certain, even the most dedicated triathlon fan isn't going to sit in front of their TV every week for eight hours to watch the 'IM of the Week'   

Mark 

I agree with your last part....but then, I don't give a rats arse about IM.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-10-14 6:36 PM
2014-10-14 6:51 PM

New user
The Woodlands, TX
What I have not seen mentioned yet is that triathlon is beginning to be recognized as a college sport. That will only increase awareness of the younger generation. I think the sport has yet to peak, and will grow at a steady rate, similar to lacrosse. Each began as a club sport, but are now receiving real funding.
2014-10-14 6:57 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

hobbyjogging 100 miles is now more "cooler" than swim/bike/hobbyjogging 140.6 miles. 

2014-10-14 7:11 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

Lost it's "cool"?....nope, I'm still doing it. ??

2014-10-14 7:34 PM
in reply to: FlyinTiger

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by FlyinTiger What I have not seen mentioned yet is that triathlon is beginning to be recognized as a college sport. That will only increase awareness of the younger generation. I think the sport has yet to peak, and will grow at a steady rate, similar to lacrosse. Each began as a club sport, but are now receiving real funding.

Good point, there is not a lot of effort placed on youth triathlon.  Starting with kids 7-8 years old who can swim 200 meters, bike 3 miles or run half a mile or so.  There are a few college triathlon teams, but not in the bigger colleges.  One of my daughters goes to Liberty (Lynchburg, VA) and it does have a tri team that I have interacted with at several races.  My other daughter attends a different college and no tri team--but at least they do have an intramural swim team.

2014-10-14 7:34 PM
in reply to: FlyinTiger

User image

, Florida
Yes to the college and high school sport comment. Our local high school has official bass fishing, fencing, bowling, and golf teams as well as the usual basketball, football, baseball, volleyball, soccer, XC, track, swimming, diving, and gymnastics teams. When will tris become a high school sport?
2014-10-14 7:58 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Pro

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Originally posted by FlyinTiger What I have not seen mentioned yet is that triathlon is beginning to be recognized as a college sport. That will only increase awareness of the younger generation. I think the sport has yet to peak, and will grow at a steady rate, similar to lacrosse. Each began as a club sport, but are now receiving real funding.

Good point, there is not a lot of effort placed on youth triathlon.  Starting with kids 7-8 years old who can swim 200 meters, bike 3 miles or run half a mile or so.  There are a few college triathlon teams, but not in the bigger colleges.  One of my daughters goes to Liberty (Lynchburg, VA) and it does have a tri team that I have interacted with at several races.  My other daughter attends a different college and no tri team--but at least they do have an intramural swim team.

QZ - I'm not tracking you.  Youth/Jr. triathlon is the largest growth segment in triathlon.  There are plenty of colleges that have club triathlon teams.....and plenty of big colleges....just look at the teams in the collegiate national championships.  Colorado, Arizona, and on and on.  Colleges are now starting to ramp up for women's triathlon as an NCAA Championship sport.

2014-10-14 9:25 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
I am avid.. I do maybe 6 -8 races a year. 2 being 70.3. To be honest, I'm not interested in the 140.6 distance right now. Perhaps I feel like suffering for 15+ hrs. Isn't for me right now.
Full disclosure - I am on the DL right now. I came off my bike in July and missed the entire seasosn.
So, I've been able to look at the business side of racing.
I belong to a Tri/Multisport team. We do all kinds of races. We Tri, run and a few do criterium. We always wear the team kit. It's fun.
And we are growing as a team. We picked up another 4 really good racers this year. Got 2 podiums out them already !

Triathlon is on TV. Universal Sports carried the entire ITU season. Gwen Jorgenson is something else ! Last year they had all the big IM branded races too. Perhaps they will again.
NBC Sports had Alcatraz. It's on, you just have to look for it.
The merger of Challenge and Rev 3 will be great. They've added another 2 or 3 races to their schedule.
The exponential growth of the Toughman series of HIM and IM races has been amazing.

Then again, a few race companies have gone out of business and left racers hanging.
The rise of spartan and mudders only shows that people like to do weird things.
Running races are enjoying the biggest numbers they have ever ! 45,000 running NYC Marathon ?

I don't know what the answer is, but it looks like triathlon is doing ok.
2014-10-14 9:28 PM
in reply to: #5059785

naperville, Illinois
i agree with LB, they have lost their cool ... but with the demographic that used to fill the races, now, lots of young people buying equipment and racing on mom and pops dime, doing color runs, spartan races, etc. tri used to be cool in a counter culture kind of way. now it is too cool to be cool. too many twenty somethings, too many ST kind of in your face attitudes, too many not nice people out there with their not nice fans cheering. plus wtc is too businessy. i think tri has lost a lot of the grass roots people.

2014-10-14 10:36 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Originally posted by Stuartap

I was wondering if it has lost it's 'cool' when I went to ESPN to get some Kona results. I went to the Endurance Sports page and everything on their was about the Chicago Marathon. Now I have never seen that race listed in anyone's top 10 Marathons yet it took 100% of the page...

Really? It's only the second biggest marathon in the world and one of the six world Marathon Majors so there are a lot of people that disagree with you.
2014-10-15 12:40 AM
in reply to: #5059963

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
+1 for Happyscientist! I came to the triathlon world this past year from doing solely running races. I do have to say as a scientist I only know of one other person in my entire department who does them too....just curious on what others think could be done to revive the tri sport if it was shown to be in a lull?
2014-10-15 1:13 AM

Originally posted by ChemNerd23

+1 for Happyscientist! I came to the triathlon world this past year from doing solely running races. I do have to say as a scientist I only know of one other person in my entire department who does them too....just curious on what others think could be done to revive the tri sport if it was shown to be in a lull?

Numbers for any sport ebb and flow. With triathlon there are a lot of bucket list people who do it for 1 - 2 years, tick the box and move on to crossfit or tough mudder events or whatever. I love to train. Since getting into triathlon, I’ve noticed a lot of fellow triathletes despise training and see it as a chore, these people will tire of the sport very quickly. They’ll reach their goals, target times, lose motivation and move on. Just the way it goes, I don’t think we need to do anything to change the sport, at least nothing radical.

Edited by zedzded 2014-10-15 1:16 AM
2014-10-15 1:17 AM
in reply to: BrendaK

Originally posted by BrendaK

Yes to the college and high school sport comment. Our local high school has official bass fishing, fencing, bowling, and golf teams as well as the usual basketball, football, baseball, volleyball, soccer, XC, track, swimming, diving, and gymnastics teams. When will tris become a high school sport?

Our local high school has a triathlon program.
2014-10-15 7:04 AM
in reply to: zedzded

User image

It still seems to be going strong in my little corner of the north east. Some of the smaller more disorganized races are disappearing but the bigger "event" style races are going strong. I think there's some turn over with participants vs people who compete year after year. As for the college ranks it seems many of the bigger schools around here have teams now.

2014-10-15 7:36 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

Master
Northern IL

Still going strong here. Some people have dropped out, others have joined in. Similar with races. Not so good ones have gone, others are trying to break in, good ones are still around. Numbers may move around, but there are still lots of races within easy driving distance.

2014-10-15 8:00 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Originally posted by QueenZipp

At the last Westchester Triathlon, there were over 20 college teams racing the "collegiate race" both women and men !
There was also army and Air Force and marines teams. It was amazing to watch their race within a race.
I also think that addition of triathlon to DI and DII school sports programs (women only) will help find the next Karen Smyers or Gwen Jorgenson, or Meredith Kessler.
2014-10-15 8:11 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

New user
Let's face it. Triathlon is an expensive sport. It's not as accessible as running where you can say to someone "all you need is a pair of shoes".

On top of that, it's challenging sport. It takes discipline. It intimidates lots of people. Those that have enough courage to tackle the tasks are still out there, but it needs publicity like high school games, TV, or more participation in general. I think the potential is there. It's just that in an economy where people are worried about mortgages and college tuition, it's hard to put any leftover money into $2-3K bikes.
2014-10-15 8:22 AM

User image

, North Carolina

This, I think, is why most folks shy away from triathlons. Biking and running don't put the same fear into people that swimming does. I think that is where triathlons are losing some of the one and done's. Triathlons for the most people is an extreme challenge that feel like they need to overcome. Now there is so many more extreme challenges for them to participate in that don't involve swimming. Then there is the other crowd with the color runs and zombie chases and any other number of un-timed events.

It also seems to be quite an expensive sport as well. Sure you can get by on the cheap but you still have to spend some cash to get there.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Has triathlon lost it's "cool"? Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

having children and triathlons Pages: 1 2 3

Started by kevmk81
Views: 8471 Posts: 51

2013-07-23 5:47 AM mmrocker13

Cool or NOT cool Pages: 1 2

Started by husse23
Views: 2446 Posts: 26

2010-10-22 4:47 PM lucerolite

It's not the machine, it's the motor Pages: 1 2 3

Started by leftrunner
Views: 7011 Posts: 68

2010-05-24 2:38 PM knyost

Triathlon is a bit like having three kids

Started by mike9521
Views: 1543 Posts: 13

2007-01-17 5:53 PM hutsomania

Having triathlon dreams....

Started by boodah
Views: 1171 Posts: 7

2005-04-18 8:38 PM maddog62
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2014
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Why it’s so hard for us to talk about losing at a simple game? Sports are supposed to be about building positive character, supposed to be about fairness, equality, and striving for excellence.

date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.
date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon

date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?