General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why am I so darn sore today? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-20 12:57 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Subject: Why am I so darn sore today?

Hi there, I'm having kind of a weird day and am hoping that someone can shed some light...  Yesterday I did my regular weekend long run after an early swim - about a 1500y OWS in my long-sleeved wetsuit instead of my sleeveless (a normal distance, only difference is the wetsuit).  Then I came home, had my usual run breakfast of oatmeal, banana, peanutbutter and honey, digested for awhile and took off on my run.  10-milers usually leave me feeling tired but not too stiff and sore.  I normally use a paste made of Hammer Perpetuem and HEED but after not being able to eat it at a recent race I decided to experiment with Hammergels.  So, this run - a normal distance but a change in nutrition.  I ran for two hours (yeah, I'm slow) and had a gel with water every 40 minutes.  I did my first HIM two weeks ago, but feel pretty much recovered.  This week was a fairly normal training week.

The swim felt pretty normal except I noticed one arm getting more tired - maybe from being squeezed by the wetuit?  My run went well but my HR drifted up towards the end - I felt good but my legs felt tired - even more so than normal.

So, why am I sore and tired today?  The upper middle of my back muscles hurt (don't know what they're called) and when I stretch my legs, they are sore too.  I wasn't this sore the days after the HIM, so this is weird...  Any ideas?   Thanks in advance, I want to avoid this in the future!

2006-08-20 1:18 PM
in reply to: #516699

New user
Subject: RE: Why am I so darn sore today?
Try using Hammer's Recoverite. It works wonders!!
2006-08-20 2:27 PM

User image

Queen BTich
c_cic - 2006-08-20 12:57 PM

I did my first HIM two weeks ago, but feel pretty much recovered.  This week was a fairly normal training week.

So, why am I sore and tired today?  The upper middle of my back muscles hurt (don't know what they're called) and when I stretch my legs, they are sore too.  I wasn't this sore the days after the HIM, so this is weird...  Any ideas?  

That is probably the key to this whole thing. Just because you "feel" pretty much recovered doesn't mean you are.  My guess is you didn't take enough time off after the HIM, and you got back to your normal workouts too soon. Let your body heal.

2006-08-20 10:08 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington

Thanks for the replies! 

I forgot to say I did use Hammer's Recoverite after the run - both doses...  And yes, it IS great stuff!

I took the first week afterwards almost completely off - one swim and one easy 5-mile run the Thursday afterward.  Then  on Monday of the second week I went back to my regular routine.  How long should I rest after the HIM? 

2006-08-20 10:28 PM
in reply to: #517013

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
Everybody is different. Age, conditioning, how hard you raced all factor in to your recovery. You probably are suffering the after effects of your first HIM as was suggested, it is a big deal...I would just keep going, not try to over-analyze it.....if you are really struggling, throttle back to half the volume, see how it goes, don 't push through it, body is talking back, better listen...
2006-08-21 8:18 AM

User image

Queen BTich

Taking that first week off is fine, you probably could have done more, smaller workouts though. Maybe 2-3 three mile runs, a couple of swims, a light bike. Very short distances. The second week you shouldn't have started back with your full distances again and expect the same level of fitness. I would have done longer workouts than the previous week, but not the full workouts.

Like with marathons, you may feel ok, but it takes longer than you think for your body to recover and be back to original shape. Other people here probably know more about this than I do, but I would say (guesstimate) that 3 weeks.

Here is an example: I did a HIM one week. I took the next week pretty light. The 2nd week I did about a 25-30 mile ride. The thrid week I did a 56 mile ride of another HIM course I was doing on the 4th week. The 56 miles the 3rd and 4th week were tough. Too much (for me), not enough recovery. You can guess how the 2nd HIM went.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why am I so darn sore today? Rss Feed