General Discussion Triathlon Talk » chocolate milk for recovery ? yes or no Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-10-30 7:55 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: chocolate milk for recovery ? yes or no
recent articles have been surfacing about drinking milk being potentially sort of a health risk.

wondering what the truth is in this, if it is the metabolism of lactose > d-galactose, shouldn't lactose free milk solve that problem ?

http://www.latimes.com/science/la-sci-sn-milk-health-risks-20141029...

2014-10-30 8:16 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River
Subject: RE: chocolate milk for recovery ? yes or no

Chocolate milk for recovery, yes.  Chocolate milk anytime, yes.   I guess I am one of the few who is older yet shows no sign of being lactose intolerant.

2014-10-30 8:44 PM

User image

I read the article. It says that there may be increased risk with people who consume large quantities of milk, not normal amounts.
2014-10-30 9:02 PM

User image

The interesting thing I found was that the study draws the line at those who drink 3 glasses of milk daily.

Here's the breakdown of nutrition for 3 cups (8 ounces...what I assume is a "glass") of fat free, 2% and whole milk.  Daily value based on a 2000 calorie diet.

Skim - 258 calories, 0 fat, 0 saturated fat
2% - 366 calories, 15g fat (21% daily value), 9g saturated fat (45%) daily value
Whole - 438 calories, 24g fat (36% daily value), 15g saturated fat (69%) daily value

So think of it that way as far as the study pointing out those that drink a lot of milk being more at risk to cardiovascular disease.  If you drink that much milk everyday, and intake that many calories and fat...are you compensating the rest of your diet to make sure you're still balanced?  And if not (the rest of your diet being equal)...should you be surprised that if you take in an extra 100-150 grams of fat in per week than the guy who drinks water that you are the one that ends up with heart disease?

Everything in moderation...3 cups of milk per day is a lot unless you're adjusting the rest of your diet.

2014-10-30 10:45 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by metafizx

recent articles have been surfacing about drinking milk being potentially sort of a health risk.

wondering what the truth is in this, if it is the metabolism of lactose > d-galactose, shouldn't lactose free milk solve that problem ?

http://www.latimes.com/science/la-sci-sn-milk-health-risks-20141029...

Big fat NO for me...major dairy issues here - even the lactose stuff bothers my stomach.
2014-10-31 3:44 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It would solve a problem for those of us who are lactose intolerant/ Can't think of a worse recovery beverage in my case!

2014-10-31 5:51 AM
in reply to: #5064214

User image

No on chocolate milk for recovery. Look at a label of chocolate ice cream and one for chocolate milk. They are almost the same. Any time any "food" is pushing this hard that it's healthy I question it.

As for whether bovine milk is healthy in general that's a more complicated question. For children is can be a good dense calorie source. For most adults we probably don't need it but cheese is mighty delicious :-)
2014-10-31 6:10 AM
in reply to: miamiamy

New user
Key West
Protein, fat and carbs are great for recovery from a tough race or workout. I don't usually drink cow's milk, instead drink Almond Milk and sometimes Soy Milk, but I have to admit that after a marathon, a small carton of chocolate milk, really hits the spot. I bring chocolate soy milk with me if I travel for a Tri or Marathon and as soon as I get back to my room, that is what I crave and drink. Other than that though, I don't drink it.
2014-10-31 7:53 AM
in reply to: topolina

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Hey I like my Chock on the rocks, so I am definitely a YES
2014-10-31 7:59 AM

I do drink chocolate milk & enjoy it very much. For me there is not problem with diary so I drink milk, eat cheese & love yogurt. As for the link between fat & cardiovascular disease - do your own research & make your own determination. Don't simply drink the Kool-Aid.
2014-10-31 8:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
I have avoided the chocolate milk recovery fad mainly because of the calories ( I know I need them but I think we tend to overdo it). However, they had an ice barrel with chocolate milk bottles after the Raleigh 70.3 last summer. I went back 7 times. I thought they were going to cut me off. Since then, if I have a long tough workout there is an ice cold bottle of chocolate milk in the cooler in the car. But I still stay away from it for anything shorter than 2-3 hours.

I'm also warming up to the mid-ride can of Coke thing.

2014-10-31 9:52 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Observational study with thousands of variables. Some points are interesting but nothing earth shattering here.

As Jason said some one drinking excessive amounts of milk is most like also balancing that with the rest of their diet. so if you drink 1000 calories a day in milk are you eating 4000 calories a day? where is the data from the study, were all those people with broken hip 10%, 20%, 30% heavier than the others? What about exercise?

What they were saying about other products like yogurt and cheese being fermented and not showing the same bio-markers was interesting.

Interesting that historically many humans did not drink milk the way we do today. It was fermented first(changing the lactose) and blood was added, you can still go to some areas today and see people drinking pink milk.

As for a recovery drink it is well balanced nutrients that are needed, so yes it makes sense.
2014-10-31 10:28 AM
in reply to: smoom

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by smoom  I'm also warming up to the mid-ride can of Coke thing.

Nectar of the gods when things start to go wrong in a longer race.

2014-10-31 10:36 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I enjoy low-fat chocolate milk after a long workout.  Admittedly more of a guilty pleasure or 'reward'  than anything else.

Mark

2014-10-31 10:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
With cow's milk being highly acidic, I can't imagine any nutrient it could contain that would cancel that out as being a "healthy" recovery drink. Less fat it contains, the more acidic it becomes, so even skim milk is suspect.
2014-10-31 10:58 AM
in reply to: todds

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by todds With cow's milk being highly acidic, I can't imagine any nutrient it could contain that would cancel that out as being a "healthy" recovery drink. Less fat it contains, the more acidic it becomes, so even skim milk is suspect.

At a ph of 6.5-6.7, it's only mildly acidic.  To put it in perspective, aloe vera (ph 6.1), white bread (ph 5.0-6.2), and sweet potatoes (ph 5.3-5.6) are all more acidic.  In any event, being acidic doesn't make something unhealthy.  Pretty much all fruits and vegetables are considerably more acidic than milk.

Low fat chocolate milk tastes good, is very convenient, and at between 3:1 & 4:1 carb to protein ratio, it provides close to the optimum macronutrients to support recovery.  That article won't deter me from using it occasionally for recovery.  It would take an accumulation of additional studies to develop consensus to change my mind.

2014-10-31 12:10 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by todds With cow's milk being highly acidic, I can't imagine any nutrient it could contain that would cancel that out as being a "healthy" recovery drink. Less fat it contains, the more acidic it becomes, so even skim milk is suspect.

At a ph of 6.5-6.7, it's only mildly acidic.  To put it in perspective, aloe vera (ph 6.1), white bread (ph 5.0-6.2), and sweet potatoes (ph 5.3-5.6) are all more acidic.  In any event, being acidic doesn't make something unhealthy.  Pretty much all fruits and vegetables are considerably more acidic than milk.

Low fat chocolate milk tastes good, is very convenient, and at between 3:1 & 4:1 carb to protein ratio, it provides close to the optimum macronutrients to support recovery.  That article won't deter me from using it occasionally for recovery.  It would take an accumulation of additional studies to develop consensus to change my mind.

Though true, I find the other carbohydrates less troublesome to myself and many I have advised as a trainer over the years (primarily dextrose, waxy maize starch/ malto / heck, sucrose and fructose when necessary). I haven't had a glass of milk in over a decade and never regretted it. Considerably leaner as a result, less bloated and less inflamed. (I am not diagnosed as lactose intolerant either).
You can get necessary recovery amino acids in other forms without the milk issues. Some people don't have any issue with milk use, but it'd be a curious experiment to see if you feel better or even look better without it.

PS....I did always suspect decreased immune response to it, from experience
2014-10-31 12:29 PM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by TJHammer

Though true, I find the other carbohydrates less troublesome to myself and many I have advised as a trainer over the years (primarily dextrose, waxy maize starch/ malto / heck, sucrose and fructose when necessary). I haven't had a glass of milk in over a decade and never regretted it. Considerably leaner as a result, less bloated and less inflamed. (I am not diagnosed as lactose intolerant either). You can get necessary recovery amino acids in other forms without the milk issues. Some people don't have any issue with milk use, but it'd be a curious experiment to see if you feel better or even look better without it. PS....I did always suspect decreased immune response to it, from experience

I didn't say it was for everyone.  You're citing specific issues for specific individuals' sensitivities.  Many people can be lactose sensitive without being lactose intolerant.  I don't make blanket statements about something being good for everyone.  Instead, I encourage individuals to learn what their sensitivities are, and adjust their diet accordingly.  Consumption of milk products in the ways we're discussing here are the perfect example of something that can work well for one person, but cause issues for another.

2014-10-31 1:53 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I started drinking the "lactose free" chocolate milk lately, seems to make sense, although more processed..
2014-10-31 2:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

as far as acidity goes, you need to look at the process that you body uses to break down proteins, not just the acidity of the milk in its undigested state.

2014-10-31 3:13 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

I don't drink it after every work out but there are some long work outs that it just hits the spot. This summer I did a long brick work out and was feeling drained and exhausted. Stopped and had a cholcolate milk and picked right back up. I think they can do a study and find that almost everything is bad for you.

2014-11-01 12:28 PM

User image

, Florida

Originally posted by miamiamy  Look at a label of chocolate ice cream and one for chocolate milk. They are almost the same.

Funny story about that.  My son and I are type 1 diabetic.  On a road trip we stopped at McDonalds and got hot chocolate.  We asked the manager if he could tell us how many carbs were in the hot chocolate so we could give insulin accordingly.  He said just a minute -- he had to find the carbs for the chocolate milkshake. The McDonald hot chocolate is simply a heated chocolate milkshake.  Wow.

But to answer the chocolate milk question.  For me, no, it's a calorie issue, chocolate milk has way too many for me.  If I need that many calories, I'd rather just eat a meal with protein and carbs, I don't like to drink them.

2014-11-01 9:52 PM
in reply to: #5064259

User image

New user
Sanford, Florida
Countries where people drink the most milk, the people suffer the most from osteoporosis.
2014-11-02 9:42 AM
in reply to: Martine1975

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Martine1975 Countries where people drink the most milk, the people suffer the most from osteoporosis.

Can you provide references to back up this statement?  

2014-11-02 10:47 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

Originally posted by Martine1975 Countries where people drink the most milk, the people suffer the most from osteoporosis.

Can you provide references to back up this statement?  

I believe it was an addendum to this study:

http://www.venganza.org/images/spreadword/pchart1.jpg

Shane
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » chocolate milk for recovery ? yes or no Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Chocolate Milk or Chocolate Soy Milk for Recovery Pages: 1 2

Started by danjstark
Views: 8958 Posts: 38

2010-12-31 12:16 PM zitamezei

Chocolate milk v. Chocolate soy milk Pages: 1 2

Started by JBrashear
Views: 2813 Posts: 47

2010-02-02 5:17 PM Kido

Represent your recovery drink (styles of chocolate milk) Pages: 1 2

Started by TexTriGuy
Views: 3068 Posts: 40

2009-04-28 2:04 PM kcovert1

Chocolate Milk Post Recovery, Was This OK? Pages: 1 2

Started by Mirg
Views: 2664 Posts: 43

2008-08-21 11:19 AM getbustered

Endurox, Powerbar Recovery or Chocolate Milk?

Started by danceswithducks
Views: 2192 Posts: 16

2007-07-04 5:04 AM tri-umph
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 16, 2012
author : suebum74
comments : 4
Why do triathletes need a recovery week and why do we feel so bad during it?

date : April 23, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Lose weight by eating chocolate for breakfast. Refuel after your workouts not with a sports drink, but instead with chocolate milk.
date : August 10, 2010
comments : 3
Is chocolate healthy? Is it little more than an alluring form of refined sugar, saturated fat and empty calories? Or does chocolate have positive qualities to help athletes?

date : May 24, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussion on chocolate milk for recovery after workouts and Ironman bike fueling.
date : December 12, 2009
If you are looking for a simple, yet special, gift for your running buddy, teammate, or active friend, enjoy making one of these recipes that will be sure to please any hungry athlete.

date : October 29, 2008
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.
date : August 8, 2008
Discussion on nutrition to lose weight while training for sprints, chocolate milk for recovery, daily calorie breakdown, fruits and bike nutrition.