General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Cozumel- should I go? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-04 6:11 PM

User image

Subject: Ironman Cozumel- should I go?
I did IMFL this past weekend, and as you probably heard, the swim was canceled. I tried for almost an entire year for my first Ironman and was pretty disappointed about the weather. I realize it was for the best and I agree with the decision, but still feel like I need to do my full IM! I am ready and I feel like I nailed my bike and run, considering the weather. I can go to Cozumel, but a little nervous about the non-wetsuit swim, logistics/cost of getting there, and the possibility of more bad weather. I know that comes with the territory but I recently spent a lot of money to get myself and my entire family to Florida. If I go to Cozumel I will be completely alone, so wondering about safety as well. I think I can recover in a week or so and then do one week with a longer bike and run. Then, I would taper back again and just race. Would have to ship my bike on November 12, anyway. Thoughts? Would love any insight. I will not be training for an IM distance race for a few years after this, as it just doesn't work well for my family. This is my last shot for for a few years. Just not sure what I should do!

2014-11-04 7:22 PM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
Subject: RE: Ironman Cozumel- should I go?
Do it! It's a great race, very safe, and very friendly. The swim should be current assisted, salt water and in the beautiful Chaakanaab park. Sometimes the wind can be furious on the bike, but after IM Florida you will be ready. I signed up last minute for IM Florida, originally planned to do the Choo and then Cozumel. It will be my second trip to Cozumel (number 17 overall).
I love the Cozumel race and say go for it!
2014-11-05 11:41 AM

If you have the time and money, and you want to go for it, then I think you should. You've done the training, and you have some leftover baggage from IMFL, go rock Cozumel and it'll all be good.

That said, you did IMFL and that's a huge accomplishment even though there was no swim. I understand your need to get "back in the saddle" and i would probably have the same feelings if I was in your shoes, but don't discount what you accomplished at IMFL.

2014-11-05 11:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Windermere, FL
Go! I hear it's a great race! I really won't worry about the non wet suit swim…the water there is AMAZING (Cozumel is my favorite place to dive) and you'll be shocked how quickly the swim will fly by!

Please let us know what you decide!
2014-11-05 9:36 PM
in reply to: #5065357

User image

Well, I am signed and sealed. Airline tickets and rooms booked! Nervous since I am only 4 days post IMFL, but by next week I bet I get my energy back! Thanks!!
2014-11-07 4:14 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Thought I'd throw in some ideas for recovery and leadup to this race with very little time in between. I just got done with Kona and did XTERRA 2 weeks later. Not quite 2 IM's back to back, but it was hard enough!

Basically I started spinning on my trainer right away, every day. Not hard but just to get the legs going again. Was doing at least 30 min.
Also began really short easy runs (3-4 miles) and swims (1/2 mile).

Within the first week, I was feeling pretty good, but had some soreness and lack of power. Increased the biking a bit more, to some road rides around 20-25 mi with some intensity. kept up with the short runs and swims as well.

By race day, I felt like my power was decent. I was a bit conservative during the race, yet I felt pretty good throughout.

Good luck on IMCOZ!

2014-11-07 7:06 PM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Originally posted by midwesttrimom

I did IMFL this past weekend, and as you probably heard, the swim was canceled. I tried for almost an entire year for my first Ironman and was pretty disappointed about the weather. I realize it was for the best and I agree with the decision, but still feel like I need to do my full IM! I am ready and I feel like I nailed my bike and run, considering the weather. I can go to Cozumel, but a little nervous about the non-wetsuit swim, logistics/cost of getting there, and the possibility of more bad weather. I know that comes with the territory but I recently spent a lot of money to get myself and my entire family to Florida. If I go to Cozumel I will be completely alone, so wondering about safety as well. I think I can recover in a week or so and then do one week with a longer bike and run. Then, I would taper back again and just race. Would have to ship my bike on November 12, anyway. Thoughts? Would love any insight. I will not be training for an IM distance race for a few years after this, as it just doesn't work well for my family. This is my last shot for for a few years. Just not sure what I should do!

I'm very excited for you! Do It :-) Cozumel rocks, it is my favorite IM. I was just at Fl and trust me you will love Cozumel! Worry about safety as much as you would worry anywhere else, the entire island welcomes the racers like no where else.

Good luck! Have fun and I want to hear all about it!

Go rock it!

Alicia
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Cozumel- should I go? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Cozumel

Started by drw94
Views: 1736 Posts: 8

2009-09-10 2:51 PM runnergirl

Ironman Cozumel

Started by triatty
Views: 1888 Posts: 17

2008-12-02 3:45 PM runnergirl

Ironman Cozumel - A Pictorial Preview (long with lots of pics)

Started by ChrisM
Views: 3743 Posts: 9

2008-10-24 4:52 PM IMGary

Ironman Cozumel Registration Pages: 1 2

Started by 98hogbay
Views: 3972 Posts: 43

2008-11-17 2:01 PM trinick67

Ironman Cozumel? Pages: 1 2

Started by ChrisM
Views: 3422 Posts: 27

2008-08-08 11:11 AM ChrisM
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2014
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Because I'm not that fast going slow is, well, really slow - especially when I'm trying to train by heart rate. It feels like I'm going backwards. Is this normal?

date : September 23, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 2
The cause of the sleeplessness could be anxiety to get out and compete but more often than not the inability to sleep is a fear of what might happen, of what might go bump out on the race course.
date : November 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
Do I swim an extra 1000 yards or show up on time to my son’s soccer game? Those small decisions become larger components in this emo/physio battle of decision and will. "Should I go pro?"

date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.
date : February 10, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
The backstory of becoming a pro, joining a team and working with sponsors

date : January 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 2
Going for broke in a race, as a pro or an amateur, can mean failure or exhilaration -- or both.
date : March 9, 2010
author : Nancy Clark
"I'm 'good' at breakfast and lunch, but after I get home from the gym at night, I end up devouring everything in sight. On weekends, my eating is even crazier." Sound familiar?

date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I got a new pair of the same size / brand of shoes and started running on them. On my left foot, the toe next to the big toe starts to get a little painful and goes numb after the first 1-3 miles.