General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Finished First Sprint Tri Today!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-20 9:02 PM

User image

Eynon, PA
Subject: Finished First Sprint Tri Today!!
Well, after six months of enjoyable training and preparation, I completed my first sprint today! The Endless Mountains Triathlon in northeast PA (.5 mile swim, 16.5 mile bike, 3.1 mile run). My two months off from swim training due to shoulder pain definitely caused a struggle. But I was amazed that my swim time was about five minutes faster than in training. The bike was a blast! However, I was still envious of those fast-moving tri bikes (I used a mtn bike with slicks). Although I foiled the cramp demons in my calves during the run, they sneakily appeared in my thighs and hamstrings.

I was able to achieve all four of my goals; 1) have fun; 2) finish the race; 3) finish under 2hrs 15mins (actual time = 2hrs 7mins); 4) not be last in my age group. Most importantly, I met many people that were friendly, supportive and very willing to assist a newbie. My wife, daughters, relatives and co-workers provided inspiration and support. Some are even talking about entering next year's event.

Thanks to the BT community for all the information and support.

2006-08-20 9:05 PM
in reply to: #516954

User image

Extreme Veteran
Geneva, Illinois
Subject: RE: Finished First Sprint Tri Today!!
mchieffallo - 2006-08-20 9:02 PM

Well, after six months of enjoyable training and preparation, I completed my first sprint today! The Endless Mountains Triathlon in northeast PA (.5 mile swim, 16.5 mile bike, 3.1 mile run). My two months off from swim training due to shoulder pain definitely caused a struggle. But I was amazed that my swim time was about five minutes faster than in training. The bike was a blast! However, I was still envious of those fast-moving tri bikes (I used a mtn bike with slicks). Although I foiled the cramp demons in my calves during the run, they sneakily appeared in my thighs and hamstrings.

I was able to achieve all four of my goals; 1) have fun; 2) finish the race; 3) finish under 2hrs 15mins (actual time = 2hrs 7mins); 4) not be last in my age group. Most importantly, I met many people that were friendly, supportive and very willing to assist a newbie. My wife, daughters, relatives and co-workers provided inspiration and support. Some are even talking about entering next year's event.

Thanks to the BT community for all the information and support.

Let me be the first to say congrats and YOU ARE A TRIATHLETE!!!! Yeah baby!!!

Having the mountain bike makes you even more of a stud; us nerds with the tri and road bikes barely have to pedal and we're at 20 mph...you did a lot more and deserve a lot of credit for that!!! Kudos!!
2006-08-20 9:13 PM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Congratulations!!  Great job today!
2006-08-20 9:58 PM

User image

Expert
Earth
Way to go triathlete!  And congrats on hitting your goals.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Finished First Sprint Tri Today!! Rss Feed