General Discussion Triathlon Talk » If Di2 is so great, why do the pros stick with cables? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-09 9:51 PM

User image

Groton, New York
Subject: If Di2 is so great, why do the pros stick with cables?
Looking at photos of many of the pros at Kona, it seems like most are sticking with cables. If Di2 shifting is so great, why are the pros sticking with manual shifters?

2014-11-09 10:09 PM
in reply to: keqwow

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: If Di2 is so great, why do the pros stick with cables?
Originally posted by keqwow

Looking at photos of many of the pros at Kona, it seems like most are sticking with cables. If Di2 shifting is so great, why are the pros sticking with manual shifters?

1. Sponsors
2. Electronics fail
3. Sponsors
4. Cost (Not all pros are given everything free)
5. Course doesn't require Di2 shifting

In all honesty, Di2 is great, but it comes with a big risk. I have heard several horror stories of peoples Di2 systems failing for a variety of reasons. Some races are in area where a mechanic is not well experienced with Di2, or in some cases the LBS does not have the material to fix the issue within 24 hours.
2014-11-09 10:31 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Pro

Originally posted by bcagle25
Originally posted by keqwow Looking at photos of many of the pros at Kona, it seems like most are sticking with cables. If Di2 shifting is so great, why are the pros sticking with manual shifters?
1. Sponsors 2. Electronics fail 3. Sponsors 4. Cost (Not all pros are given everything free) 5. Course doesn't require Di2 shifting In all honesty, Di2 is great, but it comes with a big risk. I have heard several horror stories of peoples Di2 systems failing for a variety of reasons. Some races are in area where a mechanic is not well experienced with Di2, or in some cases the LBS does not have the material to fix the issue within 24 hours.

Ben, in all honesty, as you said, I've heard many horror stories of peoples mechanical systems failing for a variety of reasons. Even in some of those instances the LBS couldn't help or have the material to fix the issue within 24 hours.

I was not an instant convert to Di2......but after riding it a bit and watching our kids race it......I love it!   There are instances, like DL racing courses for instance, where it's head and shoulders above mechanical.

2014-11-10 5:13 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
If they're sponsored by SRAM, then there's no other option at this point… they only offer mechanical shifting (although the electronic shifting is supposedly on the way). Di2 really makes the biggest difference when you have some serious climbing (ability to shift from the bars, not only from extensions) or when it's a technical course (same reason as climbing). Kona is really neither of those, so there's no drawback to mechanical.

Regarding Di2 failing… if you keep the battery charged, then the chance of failing is pretty slim… Mechanical fails more often, cable stretch, or snapped cables...
2014-11-10 6:54 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I have been riding Di2 equipped bikes since the beginning of 2011.  Never once had an issue and I love it!

I think the sponsorship issue is why many of the top-15 at Kona don't use it.  Many were SRAM sponsored so they have no choice.  I counted 6 SRAM equipped bikes, 8 Shimano Dura-Ace Di2, and 1 Shimano Dura-Ace 9000 mechanical in the top-15 men.

So of the top-15 men the majority were using Di2 and almost every non-SRAM sponsored athlete was using Di2.  So what was the point of this thread again???

2014-11-10 8:44 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
it's a real pita to keep all the cables "hidden" on electric groupsets on a lot of bikes, especially ones not designed with them in mind.

That's my reason anyways.

As for the pro's... see above.

2014-11-10 8:51 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by bcagle25
Originally posted by keqwow Looking at photos of many of the pros at Kona, it seems like most are sticking with cables. If Di2 shifting is so great, why are the pros sticking with manual shifters?
1. Sponsors 2. Electronics fail 3. Sponsors 4. Cost (Not all pros are given everything free) 5. Course doesn't require Di2 shifting In all honesty, Di2 is great, but it comes with a big risk. I have heard several horror stories of peoples Di2 systems failing for a variety of reasons. Some races are in area where a mechanic is not well experienced with Di2, or in some cases the LBS does not have the material to fix the issue within 24 hours.

Ben, in all honesty, as you said, I've heard many horror stories of peoples mechanical systems failing for a variety of reasons. Even in some of those instances the LBS couldn't help or have the material to fix the issue within 24 hours.

I was not an instant convert to Di2......but after riding it a bit and watching our kids race it......I love it!   There are instances, like DL racing courses for instance, where it's head and shoulders above mechanical.

I have a couple of friends who ride Di2, and they have had problems. Like mechanical shifting, things can go wrong, and you need to learn how to take care of it. However, I have had a cable come completely off during a ride, and I have seen cables break on a couple of bikes (that was why one of my friends switched to Di2). My next bike will have electronic shifting.
2014-11-10 8:52 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Leegoocrap

it's a real pita to keep all the cables "hidden" on electric groupsets on a lot of bikes, especially ones not designed with them in mind.

when SRAM releases their wireless offering this problem will go away

and then 14 of the 15 top Kona guys will be on electronic shifting :-)
2014-11-10 10:18 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by Leegoocrap

when SRAM releases their wireless offering this problem will go away

and then 14 of the 15 top Kona guys will be on electronic shifting :-)

I refuse to believe anything an American company (heh... never mind italians) can make in the electronics department can compete with the Japanese :D
2014-11-10 2:29 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Leegoocrap it's a real pita to keep all the cables "hidden" on electric groupsets on a lot of bikes, especially ones not designed with them in mind. That's my reason anyways. As for the pro's... see above.
when SRAM releases their wireless offering this problem will go away and then 14 of the 15 top Kona guys will be on electronic shifting :-)

If SRAM can execute on their plan for wireless, I'd be all over that. That would make builds SO much cleaner.

BUT... if they stick with their leaked shift patterns (using both shifters for a front shift), it'd be a no bueno for me.

2014-11-10 5:19 PM

User image

Pro

Pro riders get to choose only a single component of their bike.

the saddle.

all others are chosen for them.  

2014-11-10 5:57 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by morey000
Pro riders get to choose only a single component of their bike.

the saddle.

all others are chosen for them.  

Maybe pro tour guys, but pro triathletes choose their

bike (frame) sponsor
components (sram, shimano...)
cockpit
hydration
wheels
helment
electronics
power meters

sometimes there are conflicts. For example their choice of frame may also make helmets which conflicts with their choice of helmets. For example Crowie is with specialized but is not signed with Specialized helmets.

2014-11-13 1:12 PM

Di2 is awesome... the only people who claim they don't like Di2 are those who haven't got it... super stable, super efficient....BOOM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » If Di2 is so great, why do the pros stick with cables? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How many folks actually stick wtih doing triathlons? Pages: 1 2

Started by Mike_D
Views: 3610 Posts: 36

2012-11-27 5:45 AM RedCorvette

Cable routing, why not thru the back of the aerobar

Started by cstoulil
Views: 917 Posts: 2

2011-06-30 8:53 AM newtriguy

B10 and Di2, I am only going to say this once, so pay attention Pages: 1 2 3

Started by pga_mike
Views: 5382 Posts: 53