General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help on getting daughter into tris Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-21 10:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth
Subject: Help on getting daughter into tris
Last weekend was my weekend with my daughter (divorced parents know the pattern). Anyway on our dinner out we began discussing my training and triathlon pursuit. It was then that she announced to me that she too wanted to do triathlons. Being only 12 I brushed this off as one of the adolesent whims. However; she kept talking and pursuing this topic for most of the weekend. She even went as far as declaring the concept to her mother, which to my suprise was all for the idea. I did explain to hear that training for a tri is more than "just doing it". It does require a change in lifestyle. All of which she says she understands. As she explained to me, she does not want to be the couch potato slugs (her words) that the rest of the kids in school are.

So here is the question (okay, questionS). As I am a "part-time" parent and only see my daughter once a week and every other weekend how do I keep her motivated? How do I convince the ex to keep her motivated? Can anyone recommend a training program for 12 y/o girl wanting to do a sprint? I plan on taking her to my OLY in September and she has watched the '05 broadcast of Hawaii, but I am curious if there is anything I can do to keep enthusiastic about this endeavor.

2006-08-21 10:24 AM
in reply to: #517354

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Subject: RE: Help on getting daughter into tris
Have her start logging workouts on BT so you can check in on each other maybe?  Obviously, work in a run, swim or bike if you can with her when you do see her.
2006-08-21 10:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
Buy her a training log - can just be a nice notebook with stickers to mark her training sessions. Go over it when you meet. And find a juniors tri - maybe there is one in October where you live? Sign her up - I think that an upcoming event is the best motivator ever.

(BTW, I'm assuming she is an O.K. swimmer. If not, lessons are in order.)
2006-08-21 10:44 AM

User image

Champion
The Green Between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
Better yet, go with her to buy a log, or show her how to set one up at BT.

Are you close by? Perhaps you could set up a couple extra times a week with her, say early morning before school, to swim, bike, run together

You could ride to her, then go for a ride together....

Above all! HAVE FUN! Kids are no different than the rest of us...if it's fun, she'll do it...

e-mail her encouragement....

pasta recipes she can make for herself and mom...

Take her out to get the gear. Everybody feels better with new shoes.

I am stoked for you! I think it's really cool that your daughter wants to be closer to you, and that this is how she is choosing to do it.
2006-08-21 10:49 AM
in reply to: #517389

User image

Elite
San Diego

Just my opinion, but keep it low pressure. Nothing turns a kid off like HAVING TO DO anything. I like the idea of training logs and loose training plans, but make it fun. Try to get her to have a freind join her as well. One that lives near her mom's house, that way they can keep each other motivated or slack off together (guilt free)

Logging her workouts here on BT would be a great way for her to check in on you and maybe get an inspire me or two from a few helpfull BTers.

Good luck

2006-08-21 11:12 AM

User image

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Fun rewards for training milestones would be cool!

2006-08-21 12:14 PM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Definitely get her on BT... I would love to throw her some inspires. There were several 14 year old girls in my tri on Sunday and they did awesome (as did the 10 year old boy I mentioned in another post!)

I think you staying in touch with her about it will help keep her motivated. She is using this to "be like her dad" so you giving her more attention will be a lot of encouragement. Phone calls, emails, etc. are the way to go if you can't physically see her more.

Plus I agree with the other poster- take her shopping. Also, plan an event you can do together. And do some type of training when you are together.

I assume you and your ex are still ok with talking, etc. Explain to her how excited you are for your daughter and how much commitment it takes to train. And also tell her while you don't want to push her, having mom give her encouragement will help.....

Although, if I do say so (and I'm a daddy's girl) your daughter probably wants this to be about the two of you, and mom being a cheerleader is good and all, but she will probably respond more to you....
2006-08-21 12:32 PM

User image

Champion
MA

4 of my kids have done tris this year (7, 10, 11, & 17). I suspect your daughter probably could do a sprint tri right now without training.

My 17 year old son ran 2-3 times, swam the distance once, did the tri, came in last in his AG...figured it would take him 2 hours and he came in just under 1:30. My youngest two did a kids tri that take all of 20 minutes. They practices riding and then running, we practiced bricks, and they would swim at the Y their distance then play in the pool.

My daughter Emily is 11 and has done 3 sprint tris this year. She bought a road bike Trek 1000 with her paperroute money last Fall after doing one kid tri realizing how a road bike would help her. She trains on and off and honestly I don't push her. If she wants to do tris great, if she trains even better, but it is for fun. I printed off a sprint plan off BT that she help select and we adjusted it to fit her schedule. That lasted about 3 weeks. Now she does what she wants to do...and she may run 2-3 times a week maybe none...riding a couple times and swims whenever we go to the pool she'll swim maybe 500 yds and then go play.

She likes to train with me which is super but it ends up being in addition to my training and at times is hard to fit in.  I end up riding or doing something on my rest days to go with her. She can come on my aerobic runs or long runs and just cut them shorter. She runs faster than me, but we are more even when we run 3 miles or so...I run maybe 60-90 seconds slower than she does...so she'll sometimes drop me or go out and back. She does have a BT log and sometimes puts in her workouts sometimes not...currently not. She only like to ride with me....otherwise she just does short laps in our neighborhood which is boring. We have a couple routes we'll do and often I use the 8-10 miles as a warm up for my long rides if it works out as my long rides often she is still sleeping.

Emily comes with me to all my tris even if my husband doesn't. She volunteers and does body marking and normally helps at the finish. She comes with me to my tri team meetings and loves going. There is a boy on the team 2 years older that won the Ironkids race in Germany last year and was in the local paper and I think on the radio. They talk tris and have a great time.

I think the motivation has to come from within. She is a kid, this is one of many things she is interested in. Once the passion burns brighter the training/motivation will follow.

2006-08-21 1:27 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

My daughter and sons all did a kids tri ealier this year.  They did it without really training for it.  Now my daughter and son (9) are both training for a 5K run at the end of Sept.

I am running with them some, and they use my dreadmill (something I don't use unless I have no choice).  But since they like to use it, I don't mind letting them.  I expect that at some point one or both of them may want to do a longer race.  I don't know that I will sign them up for a while, some of the races around here will not let kids under 14 participate.  I think others will, but I would have to check.

Helping her set goals and then having a reward for hitting them would help.  The rewards should align with the level of the goal.  And part of that would also depend on the kid.  My daughter would love just a time with dad type thing.  My son is more into "buying" something.  A reward of hitting 90% of the weekly training would result in.... X, hitting mileage goals, something different.  Maybe 50 miles biking is dinner at a her choice (within reason) and 50 miles of running is a trip to some place special... whatever floats her boat.  Just make sure that you don't go over board, that can both lead to unhealthy training and expectations that can not be met.

2006-08-21 3:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth
Thanks all for the words of advice and I look forward to any others that might have some. Before this weekend my daughter has not been active at all. The thought of running has always petrified her. I am sure if I make it interesting and fun for her she will stay with it. Great ideas with the BT log and rewards for the training acheivements. Thanks everyone for the comments.
2006-08-21 11:43 PM

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI

My son is 9. He did his first kid's tri last year and his second one this last Saturday. We worked with him on his swim although the kid's tris have very short swims so I don't think it's worth spending tons of time on. Kids don't need to train as hard as adults. If your daughter is to do a kids race it will be so much shorter than what we as adults do which is fine. It helps her to get a feel for it. My son is extremely competitive but I told him that he should just go out and have fun. To enjoy the experience with family watching and the crowd cheering on. He had a blast! He was asking to do another one this year yet.

It did help that he came in fourth but I think he would have had fun no matter where he finished. I would say that there has to be a kid's tri in your area somewhere so have her give it a shot even if she hasn't trained that much. If she is still enthusiastic then take the next step with more training and gradually keep going with what her interest is.

2006-08-22 12:20 AM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

Ditto getting her onto BT, if your ex has a computer and is willing to let your daughter use it.

Don't be upset or dissapointed if she DOESN'T enjoy training regularly.  Even if she does one tri and never does another she has learned valuable lessons about working toward  a goal, and also about how being fit feels better, no matter how she goes about it.

All 3 of my daughers have done tris, and none of them liked it.  HOWEVER....one is in basketball and track, the other runs "just for fun" and those 2 are joining MarkK and I for a 5K in a few weeks.  The youngest is joining a swim team this year.  Even tho they don't like tris they have learned from us the value of feeling fit and strong...and to me that is the most important.

2006-08-22 9:01 AM

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
I was reading an article a few weeks back about why so few girls play golf, even though their parents play the game and try to get them interested in it. The conclusion was that girls base their choice of sports to pursue more on social considerations (i.e. what are all my friends doing) than do boys. Talking to my wife about it, she seemed to think it had some truth to it. Consequently, my recommendation would be to try to encourage your daughter to find a friend or two who might do at least one of the sports with her on a somewhat regular basis.

Hopefully I don't offend anyone with this post....
2006-08-22 9:59 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Well, I don't have any kids... but I think that you just need to make it fun for her, without putting too much pressure on her to train a lot or "be the best" at it.

It's great that she's making a move towards being healthy and active... try to support her in that... with some cool gear and clothes... and doing some workouts with hit... but DO NOT be overly critical or judgemental of how she trains (even if her form is horrible, try to keep the helpful advice to a minimum). Just let her do her thing and tell her, "great job"!

You role should be to encourage and support her with positive comments and actions.

Good luck!

2006-08-22 10:24 AM
in reply to: #518540

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth
KSH - 2006-08-22 9:59 AM
with some cool gear and clothes... and doing some workouts with hit... but DO NOT be overly critical or judgemental of how she trains (even if her form is horrible, try to keep the helpful advice to a minimum). Just let her do her thing and tell her, "great job"!

You role should be to encourage and support her with positive comments and actions.

Good luck!

Cool gear and clothes.... I am going to wait before dumping a lot of money on this until I know she is going to stay with it. Perhaps, put it as rewards for achieving work-out goals. Besides I will have to save up for a new bike. Perhaps her mom will go half with me on it. Doubt it, but its worth a shot.

"doing some workouts with hit"??? What do you mean by this?

NOT BEING OVERLY CRITICAL!!! Boy that says a lot. And I am glad you mentioned it. I do have a tendency to be helpful; which may come across as being critical. Good advice there.

Thanks again everyone, I'll work on getting my daughter a BT account tomorrow. I hope she is still as excited about this as she was over the weekend.
2006-08-22 10:35 AM
in reply to: #518577

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
I think she meant workouts with "her" not "hit"

Maybe you can do some gear from Target- their C9 stuff is relatively inexpensive and there should be sales now for end of season....

2006-08-22 11:05 AM
in reply to: #518589

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth
SuzanneS - 2006-08-22 10:35 AM

I think she meant workouts with "her" not "hit"

Maybe you can do some gear from Target- their C9 stuff is relatively inexpensive and there should be sales now for end of season....

Ooops...
I usually can read what people mean. Guess I am brain dead this morning.

I'll look at the local Target store to see what I can get her to get started. Thanks
2006-08-22 12:29 PM

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC

Lot's of awesome suggestions for you here. I'm always psyched to hear a young person really interested in being active and healthy--there are just way way way too many fat kids that do nothing but watch TV and play video games!

Since everyone else has made all the great comments, my only thought is that you might also want to go over internet blog "safety" (I don't know what other word)... I think that BT is great and would be a wonderful way for you and her to stay connected every day. However, since it is a blog, you wanna be sure that she's not a target. Not that there are any sketchy people on BT, but you know... it never hurts to just tell her not to post exactly where she lives, or last names of people, etc.

OMG, I don't even have kids yet, but I'm becoming as paranoid as my Mom was when I was a kid! Ahhh, the saying is true, you do become your mother...!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2006-08-22 2:15 PM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

I don't really have too much to add other than my experience.

My 7 year old did her first TRI (100 yd s/ 3 mile b / .5 mile r) at the end of last month. I too am a divorced father who sees my girls twice per week.  The whole idea started with me asking my 7 year old if she was interested in doing a TRI the week before the race.  Much to my surprise, she said yes.  She is fairly active and a decent soccer player, but she hates running so I didn't expect her to be interested.  Well, the week before the race passed and that was all she could talk about.  We did a practice brick one night and she swam the required distance in the pool during the week.  The week before the race she was also obsessed with eating healthy.  The morning of the race came and we got there early to set up her transition area.  I was surprised that she was one of only a few bikes that didn't have gears - oh well.  She ended doing well in the race and finished 3 in her AG (out of 3) and got a trophy.  That is one of her proudest moments of her life.  She already is talking about doing the race again next year, where she wants to finish at least 2nd in her AG.  I now talk to my daughter often about training and tris and she has done a couple of bricks workout since the race.  However, I never push the idea of training as I want everything to remain fun and at her pace. 

The only real issue I had was the fact that her mother did not support the idea of her doing the race.  She said it ruined her week as that was all my daughter could talk and think about.  To me, the fact that my daughter is interested in something as healthy and active as TRIs is a good thing.  In fact, my 5 year old says she wants to do it next year and she is not active what so ever.  So, the triathlon lifestyle may be rubbing off on my girls even though I don't live with them and never push the subject.  Now, I just need to get their mother on board.

The moral of my story is - don't push your daughter.  She will take to it at her own pace. 

Good luck. 

2006-08-22 3:27 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
The only real issue I had was the fact that her mother did not support the idea of her doing the race. She said it ruined her week as that was all my daughter could talk and think about.

*butts her nose in*

How could that ruin someone's week? Did I ruin the Mother's week? Or the kids week?

Either way... how silly... who wouldn't support a kid who wants to be active? With kids being so fat these days, they should be supported when they want to get off the couch.
2006-08-22 3:31 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Cool gear and clothes.... I am going to wait before dumping a lot of money on this until I know she is going to stay with it. Perhaps, put it as rewards for achieving work-out goals. Besides I will have to save up for a new bike. Perhaps her mom will go half with me on it. Doubt it, but its worth a shot.

True. True. You should wait on the clothes, etc.

It would be good as a reward... for what she accomplishes... but those training goals should be set by her and you should ask her when she thinks it would be fair to reward her for goals she achieves (? spellling)... and come to a nice compromise.

She needs a bike though... that one is going to hurt.

Yea, you better make sure she's going to want to do this past 1 tri. You know how kids are.

Otherwise, WalMart has some 40lb bike specials you could get one of those for her!

2006-08-22 4:14 PM
in reply to: #518934

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth
KSH - 2006-08-22 3:31 PM

She needs a bike though... that one is going to hurt.

Yea, you better make sure she's going to want to do this past 1 tri. You know how kids are.

Otherwise, WalMart has some 40lb bike specials you could get one of those for her!

I totally agree. She has said that she would be fine with her mom's MB for now. I know she has easily done 10 miles on that bike as she rode along with me while I ran.
2006-08-22 4:16 PM
in reply to: #518932

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

KSH - 2006-08-22 4:27 PM
The only real issue I had was the fact that her mother did not support the idea of her doing the race. She said it ruined her week as that was all my daughter could talk and think about.

*butts her nose in*

How could that ruin someone's week? Did I ruin the Mother's week? Or the kids week? Either way... how silly... who wouldn't support a kid who wants to be active? With kids being so fat these days, they should be supported when they want to get off the couch.

Ruined the Mother's week - your preaching to the choir on this one.  Perhaps there is a reason I am not married to this woman anymore...................

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help on getting daughter into tris Rss Feed