General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Shoes, Pedals and clips?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-21 11:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Concord, CA
Subject: Bike Shoes, Pedals and clips??
Hello,

I'm very new to the sport and I was wondering if you could help me.

What's the process to buy bike shoes and pedals? Do you 1st choose shoes and then the pedals that "fit" them? Do the shoes come with the clips? because the shoes pictures just seem to have holes "there"...

Any help will be welcome

Isaac

2006-08-21 12:11 PM
in reply to: #517493

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Bike Shoes, Pedals and clips??

The cleats normally come with the pedals, but can also be purchased separately.  Bike shoes have a variety of holes and slots to make them compatible with the more common types of cleats.  Sometimes an adapter plate can be used to work with less common styles of cleats. 

I would definitely pick a style of pedal first, then the shoes.  I started out with SPD pedals and cleats, mostly because they were the cheapest least expensive.  They were okay for learning to ride clipless pedals, but I always seemed to have problems with "hot spots" developing on long rides, which I attributed to the small contact area of that style cleat.

In the past year I've "upgraded" to Shimano SPD-SL's which have a larger contact area and are similar to design to the Look pedals.  Like them a whole lot better and  find them a lot easier to clip into than the old SPD's.  Shimano makes two models of SPD-SL cleats: yellow with 60 of float and red with 00 float.  I use the yellow.  

I know a lot of people who swear by Speedplay pedals also, but I have no personal experience with them.

HTH,

Mark

2006-08-21 2:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Concord, CA
Thank you Mark,

I have a clearer picture on what to look for.

Isaac
2006-08-21 3:45 PM
in reply to: #517689

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
I would have to agree with Mark. Good advice there.

There are lots of pedals out there with different pros and cons. The SPD are nice if you're an MTB or someone who will do some walking with your cycling shoes on. The benefit of the SPD's, aside from being cheap as Mark said, is that they can be recessed in the sole of the shoe so if you get off your bike to hike a little into the woods to take that wonderful picture of grazing deer, you're not walking on expensive cleats. The downside of the SPD is that it is hard to find a good "cycling" shoe. I am going through that problem right now. I too have developed hot spots in my shoes, and I'd rather not spend the $100+ on new pedals as well.
Oh - as for the benefits of the other pedals, do a little searching around here and you'll find lots of opinions. Buy the pedal first, but consider your shoe options before making that final decision. The SPD's are nice, but limiting.
2006-08-21 6:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Concord, CA
Thak you very much for your input, so far I like the following products:

Shimano PD-R540 SPD-SL Pedal ($90)

The Shimano SPD-SL Cleat Set - 6 degree (SM-SH11) rotational styles. ($20)

Louis Garneau Tri Air Road Shoe ($110.00)

Now I just have to convince the wife.... jajajaja

Do you think is a set up I can take from my hybrid bike to a tri bike??

Any other suggestions will be welcome, specially if you have had any problems with the gear mentiones above...

Thank you,

Isaac
2006-08-22 9:21 AM
in reply to: #517865

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois

D.Z. - 2006-08-21 3:45 PM I would have to agree with Mark. Good advice there. There are lots of pedals out there with different pros and cons. The SPD are nice if you're an MTB or someone who will do some walking with your cycling shoes on. The benefit of the SPD's, aside from being cheap as Mark said, is that they can be recessed in the sole of the shoe so if you get off your bike to hike a little into the woods to take that wonderful picture of grazing deer, you're not walking on expensive cleats. The downside of the SPD is that it is hard to find a good "cycling" shoe. I am going through that problem right now. I too have developed hot spots in my shoes, and I'd rather not spend the $100+ on new pedals as well. Oh - as for the benefits of the other pedals, do a little searching around here and you'll find lots of opinions. Buy the pedal first, but consider your shoe options before making that final decision. The SPD's are nice, but limiting.

I'm guessing you mean ATB not SPD?  Or am I missing a key piece of terminology here?

Edited by jmcelroy 2006-08-22 9:23 AM

2006-08-23 8:44 AM
in reply to: #518480

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
Well, my bike has the M505, and while I can't find this particular model on the Shimano website, similar model numbers are listed under the Mountain Bike Racing pedals of the SPD style. I don't know what ATB is, but apparently Giant put MTB pedals on my road bike (Giant OCR1).
2006-08-23 9:29 AM
in reply to: #518480

Plymouth, MN
"I'm guessing you mean ATB not SPD?  Or am I missing a key piece of terminology here?"

SPD is just a standard for a clipless pedal that Shimano created.

ATB would be All Terrain Bike (I'm assuming that's what you meant).

:)

Edited by usasportstraining 2006-08-23 9:31 AM
2006-08-23 9:40 AM
in reply to: #519433

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois

usasportstraining - 2006-08-23 9:29 AM "I'm guessing you mean ATB not SPD?  Or am I missing a key piece of terminology here?" SPD is just a standard for a clipless pedal that Shimano created. ATB would be All Terrain Bike (I'm assuming that's what you meant).

I was thinking ATB (all terrain bike) clip just based on the description above.  SPD just seems to be a brand thing (like you mentioned) because several different SPD labeled Shimano products are actually different cleat types.

Just wanted to check and see if I was missing something that's all 8)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Shoes, Pedals and clips?? Rss Feed