View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Phoenix, Arizona
United States
Total Time = 18m 3s
Overall Rank = 10/2560
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/119
Pre-race routine:

Wednesday evening and night were not the most ideal for me and consequently, didn't have a great sleep. Up around 5am, coffee at Starbucks, hopped in the car with a couple friends and headed to the race venue.
Event warmup:

Managed to get about a 1.5 mile warm up in with some progression to race pace and some strides. I had planned a week long taper into the race as I was coming off some pretty high mileage weeks (~85-95mpw) and thought that would be sufficient. All through warm up I noted my legs were heavy and just flat- not a good indicator.
Run
  • 18m 3s
  • 5 kms
  • 03m 37s  min/km
Comments:

Well this was my first attempt at going sub 17 and going into this race I had vowed I would either break that barrier or blow it up, I wasn't settling for anything else. Workouts coming into the race showed me that I'd probably be right on the edge of making it depending on how I executed, my recovery from training, etc. They also showed me that I was certainly in 17 low shape and for half a second I considered maybe re-adjusting. Sometimes you have to shoot for the stars though so I stuck with the original goal.

Lined up on the front line and at the gun rolled into it with the lead pack. Next thing I know I'm running 5:10s and we're a bit far down the road already- crap! Legs were still bricks but we're still going to see what happens. Started dialing it back and led the lead group begin to pull away and finally was settled around 5:30 flat. This didn't feel too bad but nearing the two mile mark it started to hurt- shortly after 2 miles the wheels fell off completely. I just felt...flat.

By mile 3 the wheels were completely gone in a major way and I jogged it across for a blown out 18:03 and my first race ever without a PR. I knew that was a possibility coming in and am still glad I didn't try to play it safe today.
What would you do differently?:

Honestly, I think my failure was more a byproduct of fatigue than fitness. Writing this two weeks later and knowing how the rest of the following week played out I can certainly say the fitness is there. Needed a longer taper after such big volume.
Post race

Last updated: 2014-12-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:18:03 | 05 kms | 03m 37s  min/km
Age Group: 1/119
Overall: 10/2560
Performance: Below average
Course: 5k loop through downtown Phoenix
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-12-08 11:28 AM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: Lifetime Turkey Day 5k

2014-12-08 11:44 AM
in reply to: #5072973

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: RE: Lifetime Turkey Day 5k
congratulations on getting out there...more PR's are on the way for you, certainly
do you have anything else on the race agenda before Boston?

(btw,do I get anything for only being 2 seconds off on my guess- )
2014-12-08 11:58 AM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: Lifetime Turkey Day 5k

Originally posted by dtoce congratulations on getting out there...more PR's are on the way for you, certainly do you have anything else on the race agenda before Boston? (btw,do I get anything for only being 2 seconds off on my guess- )

Ran a HM yesterday (just posted the report), going to give sub 17 another shot around Christmas, some Xterra trail races and then Boston. Probably some more 5k and 10k events sprinkled in during Boston training. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lifetime Turkey Day 5k Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lifetime Turkey Day 5k

Started by thebigb
Views: 936 Posts: 2

2013-12-01 9:53 PM colinphillips

Lifetime Fitness 90 Day Challenge 5k run/walk

Started by InTheBeginning
Views: 1050 Posts: 1

2010-08-28 3:03 PM InTheBeginning

Highlands Ranch Turkey Day 5K

Started by triathlonfun
Views: 1098 Posts: 1

2006-11-24 9:28 AM triathlonfun

Highlands Ranch Turkey Day 5K

Started by rmarzano
Views: 1242 Posts: 1

2006-11-23 10:29 PM rmarzano

Turkey Day 5k

Started by ebbenji
Views: 878 Posts: 1

2004-11-25 11:11 AM ebbenji
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : January 23, 2007
author : KenMierke
comments : 5
A powerful attraction of the calories in/calories out paradigm is its apparent simplicity. Unfortunately, the human body isn’t so simple and that is why this seemingly wonderful formula doesn't work.
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

comments : 2
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.