BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2015-03-06 4:57 PM
in reply to: Kris67

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Damn - I Think I'm Done for the Season

Originally posted by Kris67 Scott, if you haven't joined Netflix, I'd encourage you to do so, to fill some time with good series. Some that id recommend are "the killing", "house of cards" and "Orange is the new black". Lots of movies and tv series and comedy specials too. Good news that your recovery won't be as limited as you thought earlier. Best of luck to you on surgery day.

Hey Kris,

I already have Netflix as well as Amazon Prime/Instant Video.  Unless I am on the trainer I'm just not one to sit in front of the TV for hours on end.  I think I am just going to try and turn the negative down time into a positive and go visit all of my clients over the next couple of weeks.  If nothing else, it will give me something to do.

Thanks for the suggestion though.  There is certainly a lot available that can occupy a great deal of time.

2015-03-06 5:05 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Weekend Training/Racing?

Hey everyone.  It's Friday and just wondering what's on tap for the weekend?

I know some of you may be digging out from massive snowfall, and others may be just trying to stay warm, but there might be a few of you that may be able to get out for some training or maybe even a race?

Since I am sidelined, I am going to take my wife for a weekend get-away - Las Vegas is only a few hours away!  I may not be able to use my left arm but I'm thinking that shouldn't keep me from using my right arm on the Blackjack table or the slot machines!

2015-03-06 8:08 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by lutzman

It really crushed my soul and I was as low as I've been in a very long time.

I know what you mean.  I have been putting in a lot of work so that I could make a serious Kona attempt in October.  My target was sub 10-hour..

Originally posted by lutzman

Once the doc approves, you should be able to get back on the bike trainer and ride without really impacting your shoulder. You won't be able to get into the aero position, but you should be able to get in a pretty aggressive workout. Your doctor will let you know, but you can probably pedal your heart out without impacting your shoulder as soon as you have the green light..

We talked at length about this today.  The doc's biggest concern is that he doesn't want me busting out sutures or staples or whatever else he might be using so he said no trainer for at least a week and nothing hard for two weeks.  I am fairly confident that I can maintain my cycling fitness.  My swim will go away a bit but I am not overly concerned about that as it will come back fairly quickly.  My biggest concern is my run.  I talked to my running coach about maybe trying to easy run with my arm in the sling and he said absolutely not.  He doesn't want me developing bad habits after we have spent a year getting everything right.

It's gonna be what it's gonna be so I will continue to make lemonade and try to have some level of patience!

Great idea to go to Vegas this weekend Scott. Take it easy and heal. For me, the first few weeks after the crash were the worst and I suspect it will be the same for you. Your body is used to training at a very high level...and to go from that to full stop is literally a shock to the system. I was messed up from the crash, but then really messed up because my body was screaming at me to get back on the fitness routine. Be patient. You really don't want to go further back due post op injury.

Steve
2015-03-06 8:10 PM
in reply to: Kris67

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Kris67

Scott, if you haven't joined Netflix, I'd encourage you to do so, to fill some time with good series. Some that id recommend are "the killing", "house of cards" and "Orange is the new black". Lots of movies and tv series and comedy specials too.
Good news that your recovery won't be as limited as you thought earlier. Best of luck to you on surgery day.

Kris--I agree! I did a bunch of long indoor trainer rides watching "House of Cards". Fabulous program. I haven't started the new season, but that will probably get going on my Sunday indoor ride.

Steve
2015-03-07 10:54 AM

User image

Subject: RE: Weekend Training/Racing?

Scott, glad to hear the prognosis.    Fun in Vegas is a great start!

Weekend - we are currently in Greenacres, WA = my friend training for her IM, is here for USAT officials class.  Yesterday afternoon, we had a great ride and run by the river on the Centennial Trail - it was so awesome to not have to worry about traffic.  She is on her recovery week so the ride was not Sufferlandria hard but steady.   

Today we will head to a fitness center and swim and then explore the river trail again.  She only has an hour ride but  - I am guessing we will be out longer exploring.

Great training all - have a wonderful weekend!

2015-03-07 3:35 PM

User image

Regular

Hey everyone.  It's Friday and just wondering what's on tap for the weekend?

Scott, it looks like spring has sprung in the Pacific Northwest. It's supposed to hit the mid 60's today. Beautiful.

I got my normal Saturday morning 11 mile loop in early, then an hour of weights at the gym and an easy pool swim at noon. This afternoon we're going up a mountain for a short trail hike.

Tomorrow is a long ride. It's nice out, but I'll probably stay on the trainer. There is still a lot of sand on the roads from winter and I'm a little wary of a close encounter with the pavement.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

steve

2015-03-08 10:27 AM

Subject: RE: Weight Loss/Workout Challenge Points - 03/08/15
Weekly report from Matrixband

Good week in training!

5 points no weight gain

22 points for 11 hours training

27 points this week

I will be taking a reduction in training this week so I can have a recovery week.

My weight has been fluctuating downward...so that is good....Im not reporting until I hold a weight loss

Tom
2015-03-08 11:56 AM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Expert
Missouri

I think spring has finally arrived (for this week anyway - we'll see what next week brings).  Lots of people out enjoying it.  I went to my normal park for my run - got in a good 5 miles.  What a change from last week!  At my race last Saturday I had on 3 layers of clothes and was still cold, yesterday I was too warm in capris and a LS t-shirt. 

Good swim this morning - 100's are getting easier to do and I feel like my rotation is improving.  This afternoon will be a trainer ride.  Hope everyone is having a good weekend!
Janet

2015-03-08 8:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: Weight Loss Challenge - 3/8/2015 Check-In

Hey Everyone -

Here is the more detailed breakdown I promised for the Weight Loss/Workout Challenge.

How you earn points -

• +5 points for no weight gain
  • +/- 1 point per pound lost/gained, or fraction thereof
  • +1 point for every 30 workout minutes

Weight stayed at 149 and I exercised 10hrs 21min (180 min swimming, 321 min biking, 105 min running, and 15 min strength training). So, my points for the week:

• +5 points for no weight gain
  • +0 points for 0 pounds lost
  • +20.7 point for 621 workout minutes
  • Total: 25.7 points

Recovery week ahead. I'm really wiped-out and looking forward to the week of easier workouts.

Scott I.

Edited by EchoLkScott 2015-03-09 9:17 AM

2015-03-08 8:08 PM

User image

Thank you everyone for the good wishes.  It is truly appreciated.

I had an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon today.  Surgery is scheduled for Tuesday morning.  He is planning to go in arthroscopically.  He said he expects I will begin passive movement (physical therapy) three to four weeks post op.  That will gradually transition into range of motion and strengthening exercises.  He said if I put in the work that I should be back in the pool by 12-16 weeks post op.  He is OK with the trainer 1 week post surgery for easy rides and harder rides 2 weeks post op.  He said my shoulder will be immobilized so running will likely have to wait until at least 4 weeks after surgery when he anticipates the immobilization will go away.  He said I can walk as much as I want as soon as I want so I am hoping to maintain at least some of my fitness.

All in all I am pretty happy.  I expected to be laid up longer than it looks like it will be.  I really am only going to have a few days with no exercise and only a couple weeks before I can get back to some aggressive trainer rides.  Maybe the entire season isn't done after all.  I have a half-marathon scheduled in April and a marathon at the end of May.  I suspect both of those are coming off the schedule.  Beyond that, I have several sprint and Olympic tri's scheduled in July, August and September.  I also have the Ironman scheduled in October.  I have to do some thinking about all those events.  I suppose I won't really be able to make a decision until I get a better idea of when I can get back to training and seeing what is left when I do start.

For the immediate future, I have to figure out something to do to fill the hours I would have otherwise been training.  I am pretty close to going nuts and its only been a few days.

Wow Scott! I've been pretty busy at work and haven't checked-in this week. I'm sorry about your shoulder. It made me cringe when I read you original test!

Good news that you won't be laid-up as long as you originally thought. Those aggressive trainer rides should help moderate the frustration!

Take Care!
Scott I.
2015-03-08 11:20 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Weight Loss Challenge - 3/1/2015 Check-In

A good Friday swim and long run (1:30) set me up for a 2:30 bike trainer ride yesterday morning.  I did the same ride last year (a simulated GranFondo 160km ride) and I was about 7% faster/further than the first ride.  I'd sure like that to transfer outside this summer.  After getting off the bike yesterday I felt pretty good about the ride.  Next Saturday is the last trainer ride of the season and it will be a full 3 hours.  Lots of fun.

Weight loss:

11.6 hours workouts = 23.2 points

No weight gain          = 5 points

Total                          = 28.2 points

I have lost a couple pounds but I'm up and down so fast I'm waiting to hold a weight like Tom.

2015-03-09 6:19 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Last week was another indoor training week.

My numbers for this past week: 375 workout minutes, or 12.5 points. No weight gain or loss, 5pts for a total of 17.5 pts.

Dave
2015-03-09 10:16 AM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Regular
9.5 hours of workout for 19 points
Lost 2 pounds = 7

Total = 26

2015-03-09 4:04 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Spencer, New York
Running in shorts & T-shirt on the Deschutes River Trail in Bend OR sure feels good! Spent the weekend playing with my grandchildren & driving to Walla Walla to see a brother I haven't seen in over 10 years.
Maybe when I get back home the snow will be gone.
Deb
2015-03-09 4:12 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
No change in weight - 5 pts
3 hours of training - 6 pts
Total 11 pts.

Another poor week. Back seized up mid-week after the drive home and shoveling. Tried to run a bit yesterday which was probably a little early as I took a step back today. Swimming today was better than Friday, so still making some progress. Really hoping to get a long run in mid-week or at least at the end of the week. 10 miler is a week from this Saturday.

Stu
2015-03-09 4:49 PM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Weight - Lost 1.2 lbs

Workout - 0

2015-03-09 6:17 PM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Originally posted by ok2try

Running in shorts & T-shirt on the Deschutes River Trail in Bend OR sure feels good! Spent the weekend playing with my grandchildren & driving to Walla Walla to see a brother I haven't seen in over 10 years.
Maybe when I get back home the snow will be gone.
Deb

Deb,

I thought you were going to bring us some snow?

Glad you've enjoyed a little of our unusually warm winter.

Scott I.
2015-03-09 6:52 PM

User image

Hi All

I've had one of those weeks where life gets in the way of training. I did manage to get 3 gym sessions in as I'm focusing on strengthening my knees in preparation for next season. I want to prevent the situation where I'm unable to compete due to injury again.

Weight Loss = 1 lb for 6 points
Workout = 6 hours for 12 points
Total = 18 points

Scott, I feel for you. Good idea to get distracted at Vegas.
2015-03-09 8:53 PM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
I just can't seem to get going strong and it's really frustrating! Weather is a little better so hopefully that will help?

gained a pound 234
only 105 mins working out

total 2.5

Great job for all of you that are really putting in the hours!

Dan
2015-03-10 3:24 AM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Weight Loss Challenge - 3/8/2015 Points Update

Here are the current Weight Loss/Workout Challenge points.

Impressive workout totals!  Good job to all.

(0308_weightloss_workout.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
0308_weightloss_workout.jpg (68KB - 2 downloads)
2015-03-10 3:46 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by wenceslasz

I have lost a couple pounds but I'm up and down so fast I'm waiting to hold a weight like Tom.

I will share what I do, and I seem to recall that Deb said she does the same thing or something very similar.

I weigh myself first thing in the morning everyday.  Then on Sunday I average the weight for the week.  We all know that weight varies day to day and I found if I just weighed in one day a week, I might hit a high fluctuation one week and a low fluctuation the next week so it seemed like I had huge weight swings week to week - up 3-pounds one week, down 4-pounds the next week.  Using the daily average smooths the daily fluctuations and I don't get the big spikes so I get a bit cleaner picture of any trend over time.

2015-03-10 5:22 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: What Motivates YOU?

Obviously as triathletes we all have to swim, bike and run.  Most of us are striving to learn proper form and develop our aerobic engines.  We know that in addition to physical preparation/recovery we have to manage overall nutrition, race fueling, and race execution/pacing to name a few things.

I wonder how many of us consider that there is also a mental side of triathlon.

Many of you have heard me say in the past that I think sport is 10% physical and 90% mental.  I will share a brief story, and my apologies to those of you that heard it last season.  Back when I was swimming, I had been putting in 12-15,000 meters/day - seven days a week - for a few years.  I was fairly successful at the age-group level but was rarely qualifying for events at the national level, let alone having podium finishes at the national level.  Then my coach started working with me to develop mental fitness.  I learned about motivation, focus, having control, and emotional involvement - in short I learned about the mental side of sport.  In the space of several short months, I went from an also-ran at the national level to setting a world record.  Physically, nothing had changed.  I was doing the same workouts.  Mentally however, I was a different athlete and that mentally tough athlete began to compete at an elite level.

Motivation is arguably one of the most important pillars of mental fitness AKA mental toughness.  It is motivation that will get you out the door for a run when it's 10 below zero and there's 2 feet of fresh snow on the ground.  It's motivation that will keep you going 12-hours in to an Ironman.  And for those that say, " I will never do a long course event," it is motivation that supports you and keeps you moving towards the finish line, even when you are DFL in a local sprint triathlon.

So my question is, what motivates you?  Going hand in hand with that question is, what is triathlon to you?

In my case, I was an elite athlete back in the day.  Then I allowed myself to become just another fat guy that was woefully out of shape.  Triathlon has become my path back to being an elite athlete again and as such, triathlon has become a central part of my life -  indeed, pretty much everything revolves around my training and race schedule.  My motivation, my "love of the game," flows from my mental image of me lined up at the start in Kona and turning that dream into a memory.

Looking forward to hearing about what motivates you.

2015-03-11 1:32 PM

User image

Subject: RE: What Motivates YOU?

Obviously as triathletes we all have to swim, bike and run.  Most of us are striving to learn proper form and develop our aerobic engines.  We know that in addition to physical preparation/recovery we have to manage overall nutrition, race fueling, and race execution/pacing to name a few things.

I wonder how many of us consider that there is also a mental side of triathlon.

Many of you have heard me say in the past that I think sport is 10% physical and 90% mental.  I will share a brief story, and my apologies to those of you that heard it last season.  Back when I was swimming, I had been putting in 12-15,000 meters/day - seven days a week - for a few years.  I was fairly successful at the age-group level but was rarely qualifying for events at the national level, let alone having podium finishes at the national level.  Then my coach started working with me to develop mental fitness.  I learned about motivation, focus, having control, and emotional involvement - in short I learned about the mental side of sport.  In the space of several short months, I went from an also-ran at the national level to setting a world record.  Physically, nothing had changed.  I was doing the same workouts.  Mentally however, I was a different athlete and that mentally tough athlete began to compete at an elite level.

Motivation is arguably one of the most important pillars of mental fitness AKA mental toughness.  It is motivation that will get you out the door for a run when it's 10 below zero and there's 2 feet of fresh snow on the ground.  It's motivation that will keep you going 12-hours in to an Ironman.  And for those that say, " I will never do a long course event," it is motivation that supports you and keeps you moving towards the finish line, even when you are DFL in a local sprint triathlon.

So my question is, what motivates you?  Going hand in hand with that question is, what is triathlon to you?

In my case, I was an elite athlete back in the day.  Then I allowed myself to become just another fat guy that was woefully out of shape.  Triathlon has become my path back to being an elite athlete again and as such, triathlon has become a central part of my life -  indeed, pretty much everything revolves around my training and race schedule.  My motivation, my "love of the game," flows from my mental image of me lined up at the start in Kona and turning that dream into a memory.

Looking forward to hearing about what motivates you.

Scott, you ask difficult questions!

What motivated me initially was getting healthy - reversing the metabolic issues like high blood pressure. It has moved beyond that, but it's hard to pick a single dominating "big picture" motivation. I enjoy the training. In my youth I was always a runner and seldom competed. There is something about a long hard run or ride that is very fulfilling. But when I try to remember the most enjoyable moments of my short triathlon career, I remember the competitions. I remember being on course with hundreds of other triathletes and crossing the finish line with nothing left in the tank. My wife just thinks I've gone crazy!

In the short run, I find training for specific A races very motivating. This was the primary reason for registering so early for the September long-course triathlon. I can imagine the satisfaction I will get from finishing that race strong after several hours on course.

And, of course, there is that USAT email taped to my mirror!

Scott I.

2015-03-11 2:17 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Motivation? ....that's a good question.

I played a lot of sports growing up and ultimately settled on tennis. Started playing junior tournaments and got smoked in the first few. 3 years later I was beating the guys that had previously crushed me. I know I have a very competitive nature and obviously that translates over into sports...including triathlons.

When I decided to do a triathlon I jumped in whole hog and frankly the swimming from one place to another was a real eye opener. But, I kept working on it. The biking and running came relatively easy but swimming remains a constant struggle. In my second year of racing I started getting on the podium occasionally in my AG and that fueled the flames a bit and motivated me to be more focused on my training. Fortunately, I have improved each year and I think the desire to improve is what motivates me. I do almost all of my training alone and it can be hard to get out in the garage for a hard bike session in the evening when the couch and a cold beer are much more appealing. However, I have realized that being consistent in my training pays dividends.

I think it is important to set personal goals each year. Doesn't have to be qualifying for Kona...maybe it is running the 5K at the end of a sprint triathlon under "X" minutes. My goals have become higher each year and I always feel a sense of satisfaction when I meet or exceed them. Something else that I think helps motivate me is being part of a tri team. A couple of years ago I was asked to be on a sponsored team that does races on the Gulf Coast. We have 7 "team races" each year and you get points for overall or age group placing.  You don't have to do all 7 races but you have to earn points to retain your place on the team. The guys on the team are exceptional athletes and I love having the opportunity to participate as a part of the team. It motivates me to get out and train sometimes when I really don't want to because being a part of the team is important to me. I am sure the same could be said of membership in a tri club.

So, there it is. Also, I don't think anything feels better than the 30 minutes after you finish a race where you gave it your all, executed well and are drinking an icy cold beverage with friends. 

2015-03-11 3:37 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Spencer, New York
Good question. Scott, I like the way you keep challenging us to think & to share.
I'm older than most (or all) of you, so I'm a bit more focused on how I age. (I'm so old that when I was in college there were very few sports open to women, and running was considered harmful to women's reproductive health. True fact!)
When I get to my 80's, which you know is not that far away, I want to avoid being frail and incapacitated as much as possible. I want to be one of those old people you see wearing a race number, not one using a walker to get around in a limited fashion. For this reason, sustainability is a strong value in my training. I pay considerable attention to recovery, injury prevention, and nutrition. I take pleasure in gradually improving my endurance and speed, but having seen people go for a great big accomplishment like an IM and burn out, I'm careful about over-reaching.
Reason #2: life has a lot of hard challenges; there are many behind and I know there are some big ones ahead. I feel that training hard gives me the mental strength I'll need for whatever life sends my way.
Reason #3: vanity. I can't control how my face ages, or my hair, or my saggy skin. But by golly I can stay trim and very fit and it pleases me to look good in that way.
Reason #4: there is nothing that makes me feel as fully alive as race day.
Deb
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open