BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-02-04 10:44 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Originally posted by kevinbe

Screwing it all and taking a vacation day to go winter walleye fishing tomorrow. It DOES not get any better. Next up: Finding a new gig. Something outside of public education will be nice. (can I get an Amen from any of the school teachers in the group)

Loving the progress on the Bike jersey.

"It just doesn't get any better than this" isn't that Old Milwaukee?

I'm struggling with the decision to stay in education or look for something else, but the schedule is so hard to leave, especially while my kids are still young. I think once they are out of the house, I won't feel guilty working year round.

2015-02-04 11:05 PM
in reply to: cwpeters

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by cwpeters

I've been dealing with some mild plantar fasciitis and the best thing I've found is something called a Strassburg Sock. http://thesock.com/

I'll wear it at night or any time I'm going to be sitting for an extended time. It makes a huge difference in the amount of first step pain I was having. Before I started using it, getting out of bed in the morning was brutal.

True story.....pain with my foot hurt so bad that one night I made my own DIY sock by duct taping my toes to my upper calf (wearing sweatpants). It worked...but looked so moronic that I feel confident saying: If you need to do this BUY THE SOCK.

2015-02-04 11:20 PM
in reply to: cwpeters

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
I feel for all of you struggling through this winter. This was my job tonight, covering a high school baseball game at a Major League spring training ball park.

(10978678_10204211952277937_5668001159759491976_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
10978678_10204211952277937_5668001159759491976_n.jpg (76KB - 4 downloads)
2015-02-05 7:37 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by b2b14

ok guys this is my worst stent ever. the surgery has left me unmotivated. i still cant swim, bike or run (or lift) I can and have been drinking beer. I can at least shower as of today so I am planning to walk 2 laps at the lake (prob jog the uphills) tomorrow. I promise to do better with the group going forward.

I like the ideas for shirts so far but +1 on the 4th square, but I like the kona idea.

On a positive note my Belgian IIPA turned out good and the Bourbon Barrel aged BIIPA was great. (same batch split in 2) . Apparently according to my wife i promised my anesthesiologist one of each since he is a home brewer.

That is really tough, I'm sorry to hear your motivation is lacking! Are there things you can do at home? A walk will probably feel great, and either way you should focus on getting better first. Once you are cleared to SBR or lift I bet your motivation will come flooding back! Good luck on your recovery!
2015-02-05 7:40 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I went to body pump this morning, which puts me at 3/6 (I have decided not to include my volleyball match in my count this week). Feeling a really good sore right now :-) Heading out with some friends tonight for dinner and drinks (no CLP!). Excited to get some good workouts in over the weekend!
2015-02-05 7:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by thor67

Originally posted by Qua17
Originally posted by Moonrocket
Originally posted by Qua17 I got back on track this morning with a strong workout in the pool. When I dove in at 8 am (I was blessed with a second snow day), I was the only one. Within 15 minutes, three people had joined me - all seriously athletes. One had a Ironman 70.3 swim cap on... Damn - they were fast! I felt like I was sharing the pool with royalty. But swimming with great athletes/fellow triathletes really pushed me to raise the level on my game and I had the best swim I've had in months. Sure, it was only 500 yards - but it was a strong 500 yards. I'm gonna celebrate it later with Jack's Abby? John and other New Englanders - have you tried that stuff yet?
Nice! I love the feeling of a good swim. It's funny- the other day DH and I showed up to the pool and there was only one lane with an aqua jogger in it. So we only had 1/2 of a lane. We actually got in a pretty good workout doing just 25s so we didn't have to pass. 25s on :30 was hard at 8500 ft above sea level after a dozen or so. Funny how circumstance can push you harder than you planned.
Wait - DH? As in Darren?
Or Designated Husband? Couldn't the aquajogger go outside the lane?

So is DH "darling husband" or is it an actual person who used to belong to the group?

Edited by aviatrix802 2015-02-05 8:01 AM

2015-02-05 7:50 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

, Vermont

Love both, not sure on the font.

I not sure who it was but someone mentioned "powered by hops" What about putting that in small lettering under the main logo?

Great job!

Originally posted by Snewo
Originally posted by Qua17 David - Thanks for stepping up and doing the work in regards to the logo. I think it's a great start. I really like what you how you kept the nice clean look and I think the bottle is the best part. Could I propose two changes. First - Could you erase one of the A's? We used to be the Beer Drinking Appreciation and Accountability Society but we dropped the second A with this reiteration of the group. So, could you redo it so it just reads BDAS? Also - is there any way to add (I don't know what you would call them) but the pointy ends that stand in for the straight lines in the B and D? Alan - when he made it - had pointing things that suggested the lines. I'm not sure if I'm making any sense but I think we need something to make the B and D clearer to read. Thoughts?
Like this?

That was me on the "Powered by HOPS!" I would love to see that on there! I can't claim originality, my brother was here (ironically celiac now), and i told him what was going on, his response, "cool, powered by hops." I thought it was brilliant and I will wear anything with that written on it.
2015-02-05 7:53 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by kevinbe

Screwing it all and taking a vacation day to go winter walleye fishing tomorrow. It DOES not get any better. Next up: Finding a new gig. Something outside of public education will be nice. (can I get an Amen from any of the school teachers in the group)

Loving the progress on the Bike jersey.

Amen. Though I have to admit I only teach in the spring semester - bout all I can take.
2015-02-05 7:56 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
42/400--Spin class this morning (54min). I like spin class, even though I know it isn't as good as my trainer (that I will find any reason on the planet to avoid--no joke, I once decided to clean the drain traps out of all the sinks, tubs, and showers in my house to avoid the trainer). Plus, at 35 I was the oldest person in the room by about 10 years (university rec center) and I blew them away--gives you a little ego boost to start the morning! I'm at 7/7 workouts this week, but haven't yet done my "for your future health" workout. I'm still thinking yoga, I just have to settle down enough to do it at some point.
2015-02-05 8:12 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by drfoodlove

42/400--Spin class this morning (54min). I like spin class, even though I know it isn't as good as my trainer (that I will find any reason on the planet to avoid--no joke, I once decided to clean the drain traps out of all the sinks, tubs, and showers in my house to avoid the trainer). Plus, at 35 I was the oldest person in the room by about 10 years (university rec center) and I blew them away--gives you a little ego boost to start the morning! I'm at 7/7 workouts this week, but haven't yet done my "for your future health" workout. I'm still thinking yoga, I just have to settle down enough to do it at some point.

Gretchen, you are killing it!!! Good for you!! Keep on going!

I'm hoping to get on my trainer this morning just for a 1/2 hour before I go meet a student. (stupid, stupid me - it's sunny out and a beautiful day to ski and we're meeting smack in the middle of the day). I have PT this afternoon - haven't done my exercises in over a week since before getting sick so I'll have to suffer his wrath. Doh.
The road to recovery is fraught with potholes and ice - take care where you place your foot but keep your eyes ahead.

Hey, I like that plank challenge that was posted - I think I have the same one. When do you want to start for those interested? We could do the first 3 weeks of it to get us through to the end of the month to start maybe? Throw in 20 or 30 push-ups and burpees alternating sets of 10 too as a possibility (or mountain climbers?) just thinking.
I am 0/7 this week but will hopefully be 2/7 after today. I'm only just recovering so I'm not pushing it this week.
2015-02-05 9:27 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

DeLand, Florida
Thor, Gretchen, Chrtistina, Nicole - kickin butt out there keep at it!

Cynthia - time is not your friend is it? I used to struggle with workouts when I was out of the house 12+ hours a day, and I was only running then. Hope things open up soon.

Chris - no fair rubbing that good Florida weather in And baseball no less! Before pitchers and catchers report even!

Jenn - go get 'em today.

I'm going to try a kickboxing/circuit training class tonight - more cardio/strength/endurance. Wish me luck!

2015-02-05 12:03 PM

New user
Sumter, South Carolina
Knocked out workouts 5 and 6 for the week today with a 500 meter swim this morning and 30 minutes on the bike trainer at lunch. I've got a long run tomorrow and I'll most like do my maintenance workout to knock the soreness down to recover from it.

Feeling really lucky to not have to deal with all the snow down here. How y'all do it I'll never know!
2015-02-05 3:20 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Great to see everyone involved and posting. The more involved you are the more successful you will be! Plus it is a great group of like minded people to hang around with!

I will be probably off the boards for the weekend as the tournament I am organizing for my kids starts tomorrow at 12:30pm...probably drink and eat too much.(after the games...

Of course we have a heavy snowfall warning in effect today/tomorrow plus with windchill, a high of -17F. Be a bit chilly for the players.

My 12 yr old son plays at 12:30 and 6:30, my 7 yr old daughter plays at 3:45pm...needless to day I will be putting in a 12 hour shift tomorrow at the outdoor rink!

Saturday I not much better. Sunday my daughter has an 8am game and my son has a road game in the afternoon...not much time for working out...

2015-02-05 7:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
I just did a 30 minute ride and 60 minute run, so I'm 4/6 on the week.

The run was new to me, I choose the interval plus setting on the treadmill and then upped the level 2 higher than normal. Seemed like the right thing to do to give me a good workout to prepare me for my March run. Once it started I started to doubt my choices but I didn't want to admit defeat to the others around me by dialing down the settings. Well looky that, I was able to do it. I really need to stop doubting myself and start challenging myself (incrementally of course....no need to get hurt).

Saturday is going to be daddy taxi to a gymnastic meet, but I plan a Sunday run outside if more snow doesn't come so that will get me the 5 SBR for the week. If I feel up to it I'll give a basic yoga core workout a shot tomorrow...with the rain date as Saturday night.

I'm proud of myself for how much I'm working out at the moment, Gretchen and you others (can't remember all the names) should be stoked then cause you're totally killing it.

I've been weighing myself as I finish working out on the scale at the YMCA. I think it's broken or something because the pounds are melting off. Hmm...strange how a broken scale is making my pants fit better though.

-Snewo

Edited by Snewo 2015-02-05 7:39 PM
2015-02-05 9:09 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

DeLand, Florida
Thor - hockey outdoors in -17F, what sharp contrast to baseball in FL.

Snewo - you go get em!!! Look at you huh? Nice work!

I'm 3/6 after tonight's foray into the world of kickboxing. What a full hour of cardio and strengthening that was! My personal trainer teaches the class and she texted me afterwards to say I did a great job. She tells it like it is so that meant a lot!
2015-02-05 9:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
Brother-in-law made a quick sketch of a dude with an aero helmet on.... LOL!!!!!

(BDAS cartoon test copy.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
BDAS cartoon test copy.jpg (195KB - 3 downloads)

2015-02-06 7:53 AM
in reply to: fifthcircle

User image

, Vermont
He drew that? Wow! The man has talent!

got my PT in yesterday. I am hoping to ski today, but holy cats it's -17 F without the windchill!! (that's -27C for those north of the border). In my youth I would laugh and suck it up. Glad I'm not young anymore!! (just smarter). Might be a good day for the pool! LOL
2015-02-06 8:01 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Dave and John, nice work to both of you! Sounds like it was a day for good workouts!

Jennifer - "holy cats"...I love that, and plan on stealing it if that's okay

Kurt, that drawing is pretty impressive and very funny. Definitely a talented guy.

I slept in this morning rather than go to cycling, but I think my body needed it (that and I had one too many glasses of sangria last night while out with some girl friends). I plan on swimming this evening right before I have a swim lesson, so hopefully the pool is not too packed around 6pm. I'm hoping since it's a Friday it won't be. Then I think I'm going to do a boot camp tomorrow morning, swimming again tomorrow in the afternoon (I have another lesson), and then taking a step class and bodyflow, which is a mixture of yoga, pilates and tai chi, which will all put me at 8/6 for the week.

Hope everyone has a great weekend full of powerful workouts!
2015-02-06 10:30 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
Originally posted by aviatrix802

He drew that? Wow! The man has talent!

Yeah. Did you miss the part where I said he was "lead character artist for a video game company"? LOL!! One of his best drawings I ever saw was of an old woman, at the table next to us at a restaurant. She was there with her family, and he was just sketching on the table (paper table cover...Macaroni Grill). His Dad saw it, and ripped it off the rest of the table cover, and gave it to her. Her whole family loved it.

Anyway....
I'd like some feedback on it. I told him it was awesome, but the aero helmet looked weird, and to replace it with a regular bike helmet.
We can have him take this in the correct direction. Just give me some input. His forte is the "cartoony" type characters. Check out his Flavor Falv...

-Kurt

(Flav_Andy.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Flav_Andy.jpg (32KB - 4 downloads)
2015-02-06 10:46 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada

Great to see everyone involved and posting. The more involved you are the more successful you will be! Plus it is a great group of like minded people to hang around with!

I will be probably off the boards for the weekend as the tournament I am organizing for my kids starts tomorrow at 12:30pm...probably drink and eat too much.(after the games...

Of course we have a heavy snowfall warning in effect today/tomorrow plus with windchill, a high of -17F. Be a bit chilly for the players.

My 12 yr old son plays at 12:30 and 6:30, my 7 yr old daughter plays at 3:45pm...needless to day I will be putting in a 12 hour shift tomorrow at the outdoor rink!

Saturday I not much better. Sunday my daughter has an 8am game and my son has a road game in the afternoon...not much time for working out...

Is this a league that plays at an outdoor rink? that is awesome, they dont have any here and I dont understand why not, the season would be long, and way cheaper to run than indoor rinks.

Stay warm Thor!
2015-02-06 10:48 AM
in reply to: fifthcircle

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Originally posted by fifthcircle

Brother-in-law made a quick sketch of a dude with an aero helmet on.... LOL!!!!!

That is awesome, this is my favourite so far, Just that dude on the back, BDAS on the front, or vice versa, awesome.

2015-02-06 10:49 AM
in reply to: justinfss

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
So I am 2/6 this week, really have to step it up, really excited to get on the stretching/yoga train again, I always jump into training too hard and fast, neglecting the recovery aspects and end up hurting myself. Hoping that I can keep that from happening this time.

2015-02-06 10:55 AM
in reply to: justinfss

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
I think I added myself onto the Google Doc, not sure though, first time using one. Good luck Team!
2015-02-06 10:56 AM
in reply to: #5091042

New user
Sumter, South Carolina
This morning I got in an extra swim workout for the week (pretty proud of that since swimming isn't fun yet) and a 12 mile run. That's 8 workouts on the week. Tonight or in the morning I'll do my maintenance workout by stretching for a bit, spending some time with the foam roller and icing down the final stages of an IT band rehab. I've got a 2 mile recovery run tomorrow and that will close the books on a pretty solid training week. But the temp here is above zero so I'm spoiled.
2015-02-06 11:43 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by nicole14e

Dave and John, nice work to both of you! Sounds like it was a day for good workouts!

Jennifer - "holy cats"...I love that, and plan on stealing it if that's okay

Kurt, that drawing is pretty impressive and very funny. Definitely a talented guy.

I slept in this morning rather than go to cycling, but I think my body needed it (that and I had one too many glasses of sangria last night while out with some girl friends). I plan on swimming this evening right before I have a swim lesson, so hopefully the pool is not too packed around 6pm. I'm hoping since it's a Friday it won't be. Then I think I'm going to do a boot camp tomorrow morning, swimming again tomorrow in the afternoon (I have another lesson), and then taking a step class and bodyflow, which is a mixture of yoga, pilates and tai chi, which will all put me at 8/6 for the week.

Hope everyone has a great weekend full of powerful workouts!

Steal away, Nicole!!
Lots of stuff going on for you this weekend, great job!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54749 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.