BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-02-28 7:13 AM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Originally posted by Snewo

Originally posted by chayes

Does anyone have good advice on how to lace running shoes, esp if you're prone to shin splints? Or if know a good link. No videos longer than 1 min, though, please- I have no patience.

Here are a few different styles...they don't mention shin splints but you may find something you like.

http://katierunsthis.com/2011/10/04/running-shoe-lacing-techniques/

That being said, I always worry about changing something this close to a race. With my luck I'll end up with a killer blister because I made a change.

Good Luck with your race. Be careful if the race goes off and they plow. There will be slick spots. We've had bad luck in this forum so stay safe.

-Dave O.

Thanks! And good call on both counts. I won't relace the shoes before tomorrow, and I'll be careful if they plow!

2015-02-28 7:31 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Race day goals set! Now I'm just sitting around waiting for it to be time to leave.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (1452KB - 3 downloads)
2015-02-28 8:33 AM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Originally posted by Burd

Did a 5k over the weekend with my 9yr old son. We ran together until he out kicked me at the end, lol. I finished in 26:41 and he was ahead by a few seconds. That was good enough for him to take 5th in his AG and get a trophy. Next one we can up the pace a bit now that I know he can hang on. He has done a few kids triathlons and will be old enough for a sprint in May that I will do with him.

The winner of the race was in at 13:59:55. Some Keynan guy. It's a big 5k and they have a prize purse so it attracts a bunch of out of state talent.

Thats awesome Alex! being a great role model for my daughter is one of my biggest motivators for getting healthy!
2015-02-28 8:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Thor Great picture, as I said with Alex, seeing this is giving me inspiration, at 2 years old, my daughter is a little young for a road bike, but I forsee one for her at point down the road!(get it??? very punny!)

I played pick-up hockey last night and one of the guys brought his Batam aged son out to play, again same idea, being a good role model is how we will shape the future.

Weekend Plans
Working.......shift work gotta love it. Played hockey last night, play again Sunday night hopefully, and then basement renovations. Good news, it is warming up here and I feel like there is some outdoor running thats going to go down....about damn time! am I right!

March Challenge
We should definitely challange another group! weight loss would be easiests, or maybe total distance competion off the training logs for Swim/Bike/Run...added side benefit. gets us to keep our training logs up to date.... only a day to get on this though, Have you reached out to any of the other mentors Dave?

Week Challenge/Topic
I liked the idea of a swim challenge/ discussion.

Beer
Well last night after hockey I was bought beer, and the beer bought for me was a 'Bud Light'...... free beer I guess right, We do not have many choices at some of the finer establisments here, definitley a working class/mining town in the North.

Hope everyone has a great weekend,

Shirt looks great by the way! I probably wont fill mine out as nicely as the computer generated body.....that guy is Ripped!!! Thanks for all the work on this Dave O!

Edited by justinfss 2015-02-28 8:55 AM
2015-02-28 8:55 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Just wanted to say good luck to everyone racing this weekend!

Gretchen, Christina, anyone else? Seems like a big race weekend!

Edited by firebert 2015-02-28 10:32 AM
2015-02-28 11:19 AM

User image

Arlington, Virginia
Seems like some folks are definitely up for the plank challenge, hooray! I'm starting tomorrow, here are a couple of links for various plank challenges based on personal strength.

http://www.active.com/fitness/articles/30-day-plank-challenge
Gives several different options and encourages time increases based off your own achievements rather than a set time increase.

http://30dayfitnesschallenges.com/30-day-plank-challenge/
If you want something a little more direct, with exact increases and times to follow.

Like I said, I'm starting off with 10 seconds and working up, probably going to try to do 3 sets a day at first. I'll definitely be doing the 10 minutes of ab work a day, Nicole! I've been trying to incorporate more standing ab work moves in, rather than just doing crunches endlessly with no real gains.

Weekend plans
Meeting with a trainer tomorrow morning to decide if I like her enough to hire her. I'm struggling with my strength training and I'm hopeful that having someone guide me will make it all start to click.

Good luck to everyone racing today/tomorrow!

Edited by whichwayisdown 2015-02-28 11:19 AM

2015-02-28 12:08 PM
in reply to: #5075170

New user
Sumter, South Carolina
PR'd my half marathon this morning with a 1:47:18. Pretty pleased.
2015-02-28 1:59 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

I will admit to drinking Coors Light at the ballpark, where it's the only thing under $10 a cup. Otherwise I'm on a red ale kick lately and I love sours and saisons.
2015-02-28 2:04 PM
in reply to: jhaines

User image

Hey everyone! I'm new to the group. I'm a rower turned runner. I've done 4 half marathons and I'm looking to get into triathlons. I'm a good swimmer and biker who just needs a training regimen.

A few questions!

1. When you first started training for triathlons, what tools really worked for you?

2. How much do you recommend investing in gear for the first time around? My bike isn't exactly new or fancy.

3. What's your favorite training plan/guide?

Re: beer - My roommate and I discovered we love beer during our junior year of college and we have an annual holiday celebrating that revelation. I love saisons and sours and I'm on a red ale kick lately. I'm saving up for a kegerator so I don't have to leave my apartment to have a good beer on tap.

Looking forward to participating!
Jana
2015-02-28 2:05 PM

User image

Sorry, jhaines, I just realized my last two posts were to your PR (CONGRATULATIONS!) - clearly I don't quite understand the forum thing yet. Meant for the first post to be a reply to someone else and the second one to be a post on its own. Apologies!
2015-02-28 2:09 PM

Hey Everyone,

I'd like to join in if I may. I know I'm late to the party but I brought BEER!!!

NAME: Pete

STORY: Started running (more like slogging) in 2013. I did several 5Ks and did 2 half marathons two weeks apart. Last year was nothing but one injury right after another and the only race I was able to do was the Chocolate Run 10K. I had to walk the last 5K because of a nagging injury. I finally have a clean bill of health and ready to do more. I'm here for the fun, lose weight, and drink beer. I don't know if one can drink beer and lose weight, but I'll give it a go.

FAMILY STATUS: I've been married almost 22 years. I have a daughter playing lacrosse in college, a high school son, and a middle school son. I work full time and go to law school part time. Almost done, I graduate in December.

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now, the dreadmill is my only training. I do my best once a week. I know I need more, but time is at a premium.

RACES PLANNED FOR 15: Traveling to Disney for Win and Dine half in November. I'd like to train for at least 2 sprints before the summer is over too.

BEER PREFERENCE: I love a LaBatt's. We have several micro brews in MI. I like Bell's here in MI, Happy Cat - not in MI. I've been trying to find a good bock.

I just found a bike that fits me. Took me awhile both money wise and it's harder than I thought to find any bike for a person who is 6'3", or I've not been looking in the right spots. I enjoying swimming and ready to make a leap into tri.

2015-02-28 4:08 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jhaines

Congratulations!!!!!! That is awesome!!
2015-02-28 4:11 PM
in reply to: Pete99

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Check-In: 5/? I did 1600 meters in the pool today. I was tempted to do another personal tri but my calf was still a little iffy from the hill workout on Thursday. I figured I'd give it the day off and then get out there for a real outside run again tomorrow.

Challenge: MET! Before the swim today I handed in my form for the Average Joe Sprint Triathlon. It looks like it will be a good practice race. The distances don't worry me, what I'm hoping to get out of it is some experience with transitions and, since it's near where my August race is held, I'm hoping to find someone who has done that one so that I can ask LOTS of questions.

Welcome: Jana & Pete . I'm a newbie myself. The closest thing I've done to a triathlon is a practice one that I did myself on the equipment at our YMCA. The people here will challenge you and keep you honest. Tell us what you are going to do for the week...posting it will motivate you to do it since you'll be on the hook for a warm Coors Light Penalty if you don't meet your goals. Share your training log and post your workouts to the log. That will help us congratulate you or try to inspire you to get out there. I'm 2 months into training for my Tri and I'm light years ahead of where I was.

Jana: One thing to watch on the kegerator...they are dangerous. I never know how much I'm drinking because the dead soldiers aren't on the counter. It goes down so easy, and it's so delicious. Let's just say that I have mine currently empty for a reason...a sweet, delicious, beer belly creating reason.

First race of the season: A 10 mile run in T-minus 30 days

Gretchen How'd it go? You can't post a congrats and then not tell us how you did. You're leaving us hanging...

jhaines Nice time. My half is at the end of April and I think I'd do a few extra laps around the finish line if that was my time. Congrats!
2015-02-28 4:18 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hey All

I had my indoor tri this morning (10 min swim, 20 min bike, 15 min run). It was great. I won my age group!!!! Never thought that would happen, and I owe you all a big thank you for your support. It has really helped me with my consistency over the last couple of months. I wrote a race report (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=529633). I met my swim goal, beat my bike goal by almost 3 "miles" and just missed my run goal (0.09 miles short). I'm okay with missing that goal though, because I ran the fastest I've ever run today.

Afterwards I did another bike and another run workout, just because I had about 90 minutes to burn before the awards ceremony.

Today is my wife's birthday, so we went out to lunch after the race--BBQ, and a lot of it. We are slated to get bad weather here today, so we've tucked ourselves away at home with Game of Thrones season 4 on DVD. She's happy with this and so am I. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
2015-02-28 5:23 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Thanks Jenn & Thor for your advise on tribike. It true that they look beautiful, but I still to convince myself that 99% of my rides will be on a racebike. Will get aerobars for my HIM in May.

Congratulations on those that raced this weekend, 1.47 for a HIM in Feb is great and Gretchen, my dream would be to be one time an age-grouper winnig his age group, but I think that it is far to happen.

Today I rode almost 2 hours and then tried to run 15 minutes, I could hardly move in the few steps.....
Have a great weekend!

Juan
2015-02-28 6:16 PM
in reply to: #5096860

New user
Sumter, South Carolina
Enjoying a Weyerbacher Quad Belgian quadruple ale to celebrate my race today. It's high Gravity so I'm just nursing one!! It's great!

2015-02-28 9:16 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by chayes

Wow, lots going on!
I have a half marathon Sunday... I hope. Of course we're getting another snowstorm on Sunday. Here it's only supposed to be 2-4 inches turning to rain, all in the afternoon, but the HM is about 1.5 hrs north, where they're calling for 4-8 inches starting before dawn. Fortunately the start is about 10 min from my brother's house so I can stay there Saturday night. Maybe if it's bad and few people show up, I can place in my age group!

Christina - A 1:47 in all that snow. Did you have a team of dogs pulling you along. A PR like that is quite the accomplishment - especially in those conditions! Congrats!

Edited by Qua17 2015-02-28 9:37 PM
2015-02-28 9:20 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Race day goals set! Now I'm just sitting around waiting for it to be time to leave.

Gretchen - How did the race go? I love the body marking - I do that to (actually my kids do it) and it keeps me focused and fired up. I hope it works for you!
2015-02-28 9:30 PM

User image

Expert
Jana - Please see my answers below

Originally posted by jeverett724

Hey everyone! I'm new to the group. I'm a rower turned runner. I've done 4 half marathons and I'm looking to get into triathlons. I'm a good swimmer and biker who just needs a training regimen.

A few questions!

1. When you first started training for triathlons, what tools really worked for you?
I didn't have a lot of tools when I started. The biggest thing I needed was a couple ice packs. But over time, I've fallen in love with the following items: Garmin 910, my speedo goggles, and map my ride top track my workouts

2. How much do you recommend investing in gear for the first time around? My bike isn't exactly new or fancy.
My advice is to use what you already have a get a few months of training under your belt in order to know exactly what you like and what you want to accomplish. For example, if you are going to stick to sprints - you can stick with a road bike but if you get bit by the IM bug - you may want to opt for a tri bike

3. What's your favorite training plan/guide?
http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms/10wtp.pdf

Re: beer - My roommate and I discovered we love beer during our junior year of college and we have an annual holiday celebrating that revelation. I love saisons and sours and I'm on a red ale kick lately. I'm saving up for a kegerator so I don't have to leave my apartment to have a good beer on tap.
Love the fact you're into sours. Have you discovered Guezes?

Looking forward to participating!
Jana

Jana - we are damn glad to have you!

Edited by Qua17 2015-02-28 9:30 PM
2015-02-28 9:35 PM
in reply to: Pete99

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Pete99

Hey Everyone,

I'd like to join in if I may. I know I'm late to the party but I brought BEER!!!

NAME: Pete

STORY: Started running (more like slogging) in 2013. I did several 5Ks and did 2 half marathons two weeks apart. Last year was nothing but one injury right after another and the only race I was able to do was the Chocolate Run 10K. I had to walk the last 5K because of a nagging injury. I finally have a clean bill of health and ready to do more. I'm here for the fun, lose weight, and drink beer. I don't know if one can drink beer and lose weight, but I'll give it a go.

FAMILY STATUS: I've been married almost 22 years. I have a daughter playing lacrosse in college, a high school son, and a middle school son. I work full time and go to law school part time. Almost done, I graduate in December.

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now, the dreadmill is my only training. I do my best once a week. I know I need more, but time is at a premium.

RACES PLANNED FOR 15: Traveling to Disney for Win and Dine half in November. I'd like to train for at least 2 sprints before the summer is over too.

BEER PREFERENCE: I love a LaBatt's. We have several micro brews in MI. I like Bell's here in MI, Happy Cat - not in MI. I've been trying to find a good bock.

I just found a bike that fits me. Took me awhile both money wise and it's harder than I thought to find any bike for a person who is 6'3", or I've not been looking in the right spots. I enjoying swimming and ready to make a leap into tri.

Pete - Welcome to the group! So glad to have you. I'm a Cleveland Indians fan - so my only request is that you don't rub it in my face when the tribe blows it this year Where in MI do you live? My family has a place in Gaylord.

I was enjoying a Bell's Two Hearted Ale today - perhaps my favorite beer on the planet.
2015-02-28 9:41 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Hey All

I had my indoor tri this morning (10 min swim, 20 min bike, 15 min run). It was great. I won my age group!!!! Never thought that would happen, and I owe you all a big thank you for your support. It has really helped me with my consistency over the last couple of months. I wrote a race report (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=529633). I met my swim goal, beat my bike goal by almost 3 "miles" and just missed my run goal (0.09 miles short). I'm okay with missing that goal though, because I ran the fastest I've ever run today.

Afterwards I did another bike and another run workout, just because I had about 90 minutes to burn before the awards ceremony.

Today is my wife's birthday, so we went out to lunch after the race--BBQ, and a lot of it. We are slated to get bad weather here today, so we've tucked ourselves away at home with Game of Thrones season 4 on DVD. She's happy with this and so am I. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Gretchen - I am soooooooo proud of you! That is awesome! All the hard work you have been doing is paying off. I love the fact you got in another workout before they passed out the awards - I so wish I could bottle your desire/work ethic/ and intensity.

Sounds like you earned your brisket and a big happy BD to your wife.

2015-02-28 9:45 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Juancho

Thanks Jenn & Thor for your advise on tribike. It true that they look beautiful, but I still to convince myself that 99% of my rides will be on a racebike. Will get aerobars for my HIM in May.

Congratulations on those that raced this weekend, 1.47 for a HIM in Feb is great and Gretchen, my dream would be to be one time an age-grouper winnig his age group, but I think that it is far to happen.

Today I rode almost 2 hours and then tried to run 15 minutes, I could hardly move in the few steps.....
Have a great weekend!

Juan

Juan - Just a thought about aerobars for your HIM in May.... How hilly is the HIM course? If you are gonna climb a lot of hills - the benefit of aero bars - may be negligible. I faced the same decision for IMMT and with almost 6000 feet of gain - I just didn't feel like it was worth it!

Hope you enjoyed the wine you drank to reward yourself for your epic brick! Nice work!
2015-03-01 5:18 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

New user
Madrid
Thanks Dave, you experts in long distance racing are helping me walk on the earth of reality: I think I will keep riding my racing bike with aerobars and wait for a tri-bike if I ever have the time to train for a full IM (may be when I retire?)

Early run this morning, 16k in 1.33h, happy enough to get a bottle of red tempranillo ready for lunch with the family!! (just for the antioxidants in it....)
2015-03-01 11:15 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Originally posted by jhaines

Awesome time!
2015-03-01 12:41 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Sorry if this posts more than once.....trouble with the thread!

Well, apparently I'm a little late in joining the brew fest, but would like to give it a whirl if you guys will allow a woman into the man cave! I have been trying to limit the alcohol intake while training for my first tri (Lava Man Oly), but I'll tell ya, I really don't think one or two from Kona Brew are going to make or break my workouts and I eat pretty well. Anyway, I'm doing better than I ever have with a workout routine, but def not being as efficient as I could be and the help of a mentor would be awesome. I am not thin skinned and I welcome constructive criticism for the kick in the butt that I know I really need at times. I work and have responsibilities on the home front, but I also have a good support system so I'm sure I can do this.
Short term goal #1: live through Lava Man on 3/29. Short term goal #2: dial back the expectations a bit and do a sprint distance WELL by June and do more strength training. . Longer term goal #1: Another Oly by August/Sept. Long term goal #1: HIM within a year.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54524 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.