BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-03-01 1:15 PM
in reply to: RosieRose

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Looks like we have lots of new members. Welcome. Sorry been MIA, no excuse but on the bright side I have been running and making it to the pool. I will have to bow out of the plank challenge, my elbow is still tender and I am going to baby it b/c this light duty is killing me.

You guys have motivated me to actually use the my fitness pal and it has resulted in me actually losing weight. Gotten back to running including 30 min on the treadmill today due to sleet/rain. My daughter asked to go and run on the treadmill so I did a little lesson for her so she would get it then she watched me run. She did a mile and asked if she can run on weekends till her triathlon training starts. I also put her in swim lessons which gives me 30 min twice a week at a pool to swim while she is in lessons. My goal of the full is looking like it may actually happen.

Sorry I did not go back and read all the post, I know I am slack. Are we moving forward on shirts/jersey?

As for beer I have mostly had my home made Imperial Belgian IPA and Bourbon Barrel Imperial Belgian IPA. Anyone up for a beer swap?

2015-03-01 2:02 PM
in reply to: justinfss

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
Originally posted by justinfss

Beer
Well last night after hockey I was bought beer, and the beer bought for me was a 'Bud Light'...... free beer I guess right, We do not have many choices at some of the finer establisments here, definitley a working class/mining town in the North.

Blasphemy!

Go find these guys: https://twitter.com/timminsbrewery
2015-03-01 2:19 PM
in reply to: jeverett724

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
Originally posted by jeverett724

Hey everyone! I'm new to the group. I'm a rower turned runner. I've done 4 half marathons and I'm looking to get into triathlons. I'm a good swimmer and biker who just needs a training regimen.

A few questions!

1. When you first started training for triathlons, what tools really worked for you?

2. How much do you recommend investing in gear for the first time around? My bike isn't exactly new or fancy.

3. What's your favorite training plan/guide?

Re: beer - My roommate and I discovered we love beer during our junior year of college and we have an annual holiday celebrating that revelation. I love saisons and sours and I'm on a red ale kick lately. I'm saving up for a kegerator so I don't have to leave my apartment to have a good beer on tap.

Looking forward to participating!
Jana

WELCOME!

1. Consistency. Pick a plan, and stick to it. Remember being a kid, and thinking those new shoes where FAST! Yeah, it's like that.... YOU are the most important tool.

2. As little as can keep you happy and comfortable. You will see people at triathlons on everything from Beach Cruisers to Full Carbon Aero machines. Just ride what you've got for now. Spend your money wherever you like, but I think finding the perfect running shoes is a good place to start. It's also significantly less expensive compared to bike shopping.

3. The one that YOU can stick with. See answer #1. Don't stress over a plan too much. Pick a race, and implement a plan, and try not to over-analyze that whole situation.

The biggest thing to remember is to have fun with all of this. Swimming is fun. Biking is fun. Running is...fun? LOL!

-Kurt

2015-03-01 2:50 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Hey All

I had my indoor tri this morning (10 min swim, 20 min bike, 15 min run). It was great. I won my age group!!!! Never thought that would happen, and I owe you all a big thank you for your support. It has really helped me with my consistency over the last couple of months. I wrote a race report (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=529633). I met my swim goal, beat my bike goal by almost 3 "miles" and just missed my run goal (0.09 miles short). I'm okay with missing that goal though, because I ran the fastest I've ever run today.

Afterwards I did another bike and another run workout, just because I had about 90 minutes to burn before the awards ceremony.

Today is my wife's birthday, so we went out to lunch after the race--BBQ, and a lot of it. We are slated to get bad weather here today, so we've tucked ourselves away at home with Game of Thrones season 4 on DVD. She's happy with this and so am I. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Way to go Gretchen!
2015-03-01 2:53 PM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
The shirts look great!
2015-03-01 3:26 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by Qua17

Originally posted by thor67

Originally posted by nicole14e For the weight loss challenge, I think I also may have gained some :-/ Can we do another one in March? haha So I did sign up for a 5k, but I'm not sure it will count...you guys tell me... http://wipeoutrun.com/baltimore/I am going to start searching today for a tri. I'm pretty sure my June and July are mostly free of wedding events, so that gives me somewhere to start.

I am definitely in for the March weight loss.

DQ didn't you do up a google doc. or something for this? Can we repost?

Here is the spreadsheet I created. It might have worked better had I actually lost some weight...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1m6rQBwNp0EbJAVfcaEzHf4eVtzdE...

Thor killed it! Way to go friend!

2015-03-01 3:35 PM
in reply to: Syndiethea

User image

, Vermont
Plank and squat challenge done for today! - after skiing all day... This was my "rest" day..

Yesterday got in 2300 in in the pool. 4x500 and 300 cool down (mixed strokes) 2nd 500 with leg buoy.

I need to look back at the most recent posts! Lots of them here!
Congrats to those who were lucky enough to race this weekend! How cool is that!!
2015-03-01 3:38 PM
in reply to: jhaines

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by jhaines

PR'd my half marathon this morning with a 1:47:18. Pretty pleased.

That's awesome!!! What a great feeling!! That's a heck of a way to start of the season!!
2015-03-01 3:50 PM
in reply to: #5075170

Hi, I am hoping you will allow me to join this group. I am a newbie to triathlons, and here's a little bit about me:

My name is Amy, and I was signed up for my first triathlon summer 2014. Two days before my first competition, I had an epic bike wreck and broke my left shoulder in 3 places, had surgery to place 2 huge a$$ screws, then another surgery 10 weeks later to remove said screws. I have regained all my motion, still working on strength. I have bought my first road bike (Specialized Dolce Elite), but haven't found the nerve to get cleats or clips for it.

Bio: 40 y/o wife of an awesome guy, mom to 3 kids (23, 16 & 14), I work full time.

Training: right now I am training 3 days a week, need to do 5-6 days to get ready for my first sprint on May 17 (yikes!)

Beer choice: here's where you will probably drop me from the group. I don't drink beer (my husband used to see this as a hurdle until he realized he could buy a 12 pack and didn't have to worry about me drinking any!) I am a Margarita girl, although I haven't had one for awhile. I had lost about 25 pounds before my accident last year, but since then have put back on about 15 pounds.

I am already in love with this sport, even though I haven't technically competed yet. I do not consider myself a triathlete- haven't earned that title yet, but will soon. I could really use some help with training, nutrition, and all the silly questions that come along with triathlons. Would you guys have me in your group?
2015-03-01 3:58 PM

User image

Expert
It's been a day of ups and downs...

First the down - I woke up this morning and weighed in.... 233 - up 10 lbs in the month of February and +40 from what I weighed when I crossed the finish line at IMMT in August.

Now the up - I forced myself to drive to the gym and get in a workout. I did not want to go. So I jumped in the pool and had a decent session but had an epiphany when I was aqua jogging... What if the thing that motivates me is doing iron distances? (Let me say for the record - there is absolutely nothing wrong with shorter distances - nothing. And let me also say that I believe that going long doesn't make you any better - it's just the distance you do.) So I got to thinking about it and I honestly got excited! I couldn't wait to get home to check out the triathlon schedule on my computer and actually cheated and checked it in the car.

So - maybe that's the ticket for me. since finishing IMMT - I've had a few day dreams about qualifying at Kona with a legacy spot (completing 10 IM races). Perhaps that's the challenge I need to keep the fire burning.

HMMM....
2015-03-01 4:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Originally posted by RosieRose

Sorry if this posts more than once.....trouble with the thread!

Well, apparently I'm a little late in joining the brew fest, but would like to give it a whirl if you guys will allow a woman into the man cave! I have been trying to limit the alcohol intake while training for my first tri (Lava Man Oly), but I'll tell ya, I really don't think one or two from Kona Brew are going to make or break my workouts and I eat pretty well. Anyway, I'm doing better than I ever have with a workout routine, but def not being as efficient as I could be and the help of a mentor would be awesome. I am not thin skinned and I welcome constructive criticism for the kick in the butt that I know I really need at times. I work and have responsibilities on the home front, but I also have a good support system so I'm sure I can do this.
Short term goal #1: live through Lava Man on 3/29. Short term goal #2: dial back the expectations a bit and do a sprint distance WELL by June and do more strength training. . Longer term goal #1: Another Oly by August/Sept. Long term goal #1: HIM within a year.

Rose - If you are willing to commit to supporting the members of the BDAS - we we would love to have you. I love you goals and I agree with you - I know you can do it!

Now that you are a member - please cut and paste my bio from the first page and fill it in with your info. The more we know about you - the better we can help support you!

I also added your name to the list of people in the group. It's on my log - here is the link - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly....

Welcome and good luck!

Edited by Qua17 2015-03-01 4:04 PM

2015-03-01 4:10 PM
in reply to: Lilmamaharv

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Lilmamaharv

Hi, I am hoping you will allow me to join this group. I am a newbie to triathlons, and here's a little bit about me:

My name is Amy, and I was signed up for my first triathlon summer 2014. Two days before my first competition, I had an epic bike wreck and broke my left shoulder in 3 places, had surgery to place 2 huge a$$ screws, then another surgery 10 weeks later to remove said screws. I have regained all my motion, still working on strength. I have bought my first road bike (Specialized Dolce Elite), but haven't found the nerve to get cleats or clips for it.

Bio: 40 y/o wife of an awesome guy, mom to 3 kids (23, 16 & 14), I work full time.

Training: right now I am training 3 days a week, need to do 5-6 days to get ready for my first sprint on May 17 (yikes!)

Beer choice: here's where you will probably drop me from the group. I don't drink beer (my husband used to see this as a hurdle until he realized he could buy a 12 pack and didn't have to worry about me drinking any!) I am a Margarita girl, although I haven't had one for awhile. I had lost about 25 pounds before my accident last year, but since then have put back on about 15 pounds.

I am already in love with this sport, even though I haven't technically competed yet. I do not consider myself a triathlete- haven't earned that title yet, but will soon. I could really use some help with training, nutrition, and all the silly questions that come along with triathlons. Would you guys have me in your group?

Amy - Consider yourself in! How could we say no? You love the sport plus you are "Born Again Hard"! Congrats on your recovery so far and we will be there to cheer you on and support you as you make your way closer to earning the title of triathlete for youself.

Please cut and paste my bio from the first page and fill it in with your info. The more we know about you - the better we can help support you!

I also added your name to the list of people in the group. It's on my log - here is the link - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.... Do us a favor and remember to sign your posts to help us get to know you better.

Welcome and good luck!

2015-03-01 4:27 PM

User image

Expert
Hey BDAS - let's talk some business.

I'm heading off on a 3 day school trip and won't be back home until Wednesday and then I have conferences the rest of the week, so I have no clue when I will be signing back on. So - here are all the things going through my mind:

Topic for the Week Injury prevention - What do you do to avoid injuries?

Challenge for the week and month It looks like there was some interest in doing another weight loss challenge. Is this still the case? Also - people wanted to do a squat / plank challenge as well. If this is something you want to do, please take the lead on it and post information

Goals If you have sometime today or tomorrow - please post your goals for the month. Doing so will help you focus on what's important to you and will let us hold your accountable and cheer you on in the process.

Shirts David is currently working on them. A huge thank you to him for making the time to do this!

New Members I am thrilled to have some fresh blood in the BDAS - but that means everyone needs to step up their game to make the larger group work. Please remember to add your name to your posts so people can get to know everyone. Also remember to support each other. I make it my mission each day to cheer on at least 2 people each day with either an inspire or a post in the forum. You know how good it feels to get a "little love" so be sure to give some.

Spring is coming... Prost!
2015-03-01 4:28 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

First the down - I woke up this morning and weighed in.... 233 - up 10 lbs in the month of February and +40 from what I weighed when I crossed the finish line at IMMT in August.

Now the up - I forced myself to drive to the gym and get in a workout. I did not want to go. So I jumped in the pool and had a decent session but had an epiphany when I was aqua jogging... What if the thing that motivates me is doing iron distances? (Let me say for the record - there is absolutely nothing wrong with shorter distances - nothing. And let me also say that I believe that going long doesn't make you any better - it's just the distance you do.) So I got to thinking about it and I honestly got excited! I couldn't wait to get home to check out the triathlon schedule on my computer and actually cheated and checked it in the car.

So - maybe that's the ticket for me. since finishing IMMT - I've had a few day dreams about qualifying at Kona with a legacy spot (completing 10 IM races). Perhaps that's the challenge I need to keep the fire burning.

HMMM....

Do what you do and make no apologies! My pipe dream is to go to Kona as well...at least you have an IM under your belt, 9 more to to go!
2015-03-01 4:32 PM

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by Lilmamaharv

HiAmy, What I have found about people who don't like beer is that they don't fully understand the incredible number of varieties that are out there. If the first beer I had was an IPA that might have been my last. Maybe your dues to the forum will need to be a promise to try some beer varieties in the vast beer spectrum. We can help lay out the varieties and you just need to try them. If you don't like them then your poor husband will just have to drink it. Win-Win.

Deal?

Whataya think everyone, does that work out?

-Dave O.
2015-03-01 4:45 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Hey Friends!

I am in on the plank challenge and will add that to my phone, my core needs all the help it can get. Yoga is doing amazing things in sculpting my arms and my core is getting some work but I would really need to focus on that to make a difference.

Good news, I ran over, OVER, I say, 8 fling flanging miles and actually ran, well jogged the miles. Walked 3 times each less than a minute so I am thrilled. I have done the distance before but always walked the last two miles.

Weight - eh, I may or may not be up or down 2 pounds. Just keeping it transparent people.

Training is ok, I really need to get in the pool more than once a week. I have been keeping up on the schedule except for swimming. That is pretty hit and miss.

I am on my 5th week of cooking all the meals for the week on Sunday. They aren't always great but edible and it really helps me to have food for lunch already made. Crockpot liners are the best invention ever!

My Races for the year;

HITTs Napa Olympic April 12 - oh shoot that is just around the corner! Why do I start with a hilly OLY?
Mothers Day Super sprint May 10
Tri for Real #1 May 31 Oly
Tri for Rea #2 June 28 Oly
Tri for Real #3 Aug 2 Oly
Dust Devil Aug 15 Sprint
And my biggest race:
Challenge Rancho Cordova Oct 18 - 70.3

2015-03-01 5:08 PM
in reply to: #5075170

Ok, since I'm "officially" in the group, here's my story in the correct format:

Name: Amy

Story: I live in Southwest Kansas with more cattle than people in our area! I was an athlete in high school, but mostly a sprinter, never long distance. Was an aerobics instructor in college , and stayed pretty active until after having kids. My 30' sucked... lots of health problems with 3 surgeries within 18 months (hysterectomy then back surgery). Gained lots of weight and miserable. In June 2013, started eating clean and lifting weights again. Lost some weight and decided to train for a triathlon in spring 2014. I will elaborate more in other sections.

Family status: I am married to a great guy who is trying to understand this crazy triathlon mentality (he's still more in the "tolerating" stage, with some "understaning"-although do the spouses really ever totally understand?!) We have been married over 17 years, and have 3 kids: 23, 16, and 14.

Current Training: homestly, right now I've been training 2-3 days per week, but am looking to increase that to 5-6 days per week. I'm trying to incorporate all three disciplines twice a week with some weight training and yoga.

2014 races: this is a funny story. I didn't have any races in 2014. I was supposed to, but 2 days before my first race (a super sprint), I had a bike wreck and thus ended my season. Instead of competing, I had to have 2 screws placed in my shoulder and couldn't move it at all. Ten weeks post op, I had a second surgery to remove those screws and have been rehabilitating my shoulder along with trying to get back into training.

Races planned for 2015: I am signed up for the KC Triathlon sprint on May 17 (76 days to train!), and plan to do at least 2 other sprints. My ultimate goal this season is to qualify for the age group nationals....we will see. My ultimate goal is to complete a half Ironman, but that's for 2016!

Beer preference: I'm more of a Margarita girl, but on the up side, you can all leave your beer with me and I won't drink it! Hehe

Weight loss: since 2013, I have lost about 35 pounds, but have recently gained back about 10-15#. I use my fitness pal to log and have had great success. I also try to eat clean and stay away from processed food. I've had the best progress when I do that!

What will make me a good mentor? Honestly, I don't know that I can mentor a this point, but I can be a great supporter!

2015-03-01 5:17 PM

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Check-in: 7/? Did 12.5 miles exercise bike and 4.5 miles on the treadmill.

Newbies: FYI: We do a Monday thru Sunday week when reporting things.

New Challenge: I guess the whole idea is to challenge yourself into doing something different or challenging. I guess I'm in. I did today's plank challenge. I'm skipping the squat challenge and using my left knee as an excuse. That's the one I ice after my runs.

Gretchen Good job!

Qua I get it. I keep picking greater challenges too because if I don't I'll back slide. Triathlons are just the next step in my evolution of needing a goal. Without the goal I lose motivation and gain weight. You just hit a SERIOUS pinnacle in your goals. Congrats on that again. Time to make a new goal. Flip the switch.

Father Moment: Had a great time working out today as my middle daughter joined me. It sounds like maybe...just maybe...some of the lessons are getting through. She worked out the same length of time that I did. There's a lot of noise out there with magical ways to lose weight. Eating right and working out doesn't get enough press. The fact that her father, her friend, and her friends father all exercise makes it a little more "of course you have to" instead of it being rare. She now wants to join me 4 days a week. SCORE!

Shirt Update: I'll dig into it again tonight to see if Jakroo has gotten back to me.

-Dave O.

2015-03-01 6:17 PM

User image

HMMM....

nothing wrong with that. I wish you well and who knows maybe I can watch you in HI sometime! Glad to see your passion come back. You've done one so you know you can do 100 more if that's what motivates you. I agree with you that distance doesn't make the athlete, I've considered myself a triathlete from my first sprint.
2015-03-01 6:38 PM

DQ -

I live just outside Lansing. I won't pick on the Indians if you don't pick on the Tigers choking right before or during the playoffs again this year. It's gonna happen, I promise. And I'm a Spartan and not a Wolverine!!!

I totally get the race being the motivation, and the right race. When I started running a few years ago, 5Ks motivated me. Not anymore. I'm doing a 10K, it's actually a 15K, but I'm walking the last 5 with a group. Get 2 medals this way, and I'm all about the bling. After I did my first HM, as sore and tired as I was, after a few beers and hours, I was ready to sign up for another. I still sign up for 5Ks, but there's no inner motivation to do any training or get prepared. I'm not excited. Tuesday is registration day for one the HM's I'm doing this year. I can't wait.

I've been looking for some sprints for late summer and I'll know that'll get me motivated to get the work in. We'll see how I am after a couple of those and where I want to go.

I did run 5 mi on the dreadmill today. Legs felt good, I had another mile in them, thank goodness, cause next Sunday is the 10K. This 5 mi is the farthest I've run in 2 years due to all the injuries from last year. The time will be my initial time for corral placement. I may do another one to see if I can improve the placement. I'm hoping tri training will assist me with that too.

And now....it's beer time.
2015-03-01 7:02 PM
in reply to: jhaines

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by jhaines

PR'd my half marathon this morning with a 1:47:18. Pretty pleased.

Way to go! that's a great time.

2015-03-01 7:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Lilmamaharv, sorry to hear about your wreck! That sounds awful. It sounds like you have such a great attitude, though!
2015-03-01 7:16 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Personal Worsted my half marathon today by quite a lot. As in, I was planning for 2:10-2:20 and ran it in 2:54. Ugh it hurts to type that. But it was snowy- I think there were 4+ inches on the ground, and it was plowed earlier but still a couple of inches on the ground. The first few miles were OK, sticking to around 10 mm, but then it started getting slushier and packed down/ slippy from the faster runners in front of me. Also hubris bit me in the butt- it was in Youngstown, OH, which I thought was totally flat, and when the flier for the race said "Hilly and challenging course" I was like, sure it is. Well, it was. One of the tougher courses I've done, hill-wise, and I live in Pittsburgh.
Anyways, I learned some things:
* learn to suffer a little more- even if it sucks, pick up the pace. I think when I'm having a bad long run I'll try this.
* wake up earlier, and digest your breakfast before the race, not during it
* run outside! And run hills! (This should get easier- no more dangerously cold temps, and not as much snow/ ice on the ground.)
* I still finished with a smile. I managed not to berate myself too much for having a terrible race. So even if it takes me 6 hrs to finish the Pittsburgh Marathon, I can get out of my head and enjoy it.

(HM finish.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
HM finish.jpg (219KB - 4 downloads)
2015-03-01 7:23 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Sorry that's so huge ^^ LOL
2015-03-01 7:37 PM
in reply to: #5097103

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nice Job Gretchen, Christina and Jhaines in your races! Christina you are a total crazy in my mind for running in the snow!

DQ- glad you got a good workout in- I don't get the long distance pull- but I can see it in so many. Glad you are finding your mojo!

I picked up some bling doing Nastar ski races with my daughter for fun yesterday. Need to get on the bike now.

I'm in for the plank challenge!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54559 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.