BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-03-24 8:29 AM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business

Originally posted by Snewo Check-in: Workout 1 for the week is in the books. 1600 meter swim. It was a good strong day in the pool. Heart Rate Monitors I realize that I said that counting my laps swimming was something I wanted, but after reading some of the comments, I'm starting to think the HRM will provide more of a benefit running and cycling when I'm first starting out. Given that, would something like this make more sense for a beginner? http://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/hr.htmlI already carry my phone with me all the time when I run, for the GPS function. Strapping this thing on beforehand would be NBD. Are there downsides that I'm not considering? Alan I'll have to take a look at those books. Thanks.

I actually use the cadence/speed sensors on my bike and love it. Have been considering using the Tickr. When they originally came out with it, there was supposed to be swim metrics included...not sure how that works but...

http://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/wahoo-blue-sc-speed-and-cadence-sensor.html

2015-03-24 8:35 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Originally posted by Qua17
Originally posted by adempsey10

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

In Chicago, we got 4" of snow today.  Wet, sloppy, horrible snow.

In other news today, FTP test #2 of the year, yielding five new PRs on Trainer Road and 260w 20min power, for an FTP of 247, which is up ~23w from a month ago, and a gain of 10%.  Luckily, I'm still waiting for the first FTP test that actually does make me throw up - which also means I'm probably leaving a few watts on the table.

I also had a second-round interview today for a job that I really, really want - and now that I know more, I want it even more.  I have a phone interview tomorrow with their NY department head as well, so we'll see what happens.

Nice work! 10% gain is pretty significant. I've never felt like puking after the 20min test but I definitely have for the 5 minute test. And last year 2 days before IM, I was in the IM village and they computrainers set up so people could compete in a simulated ride to win a pair of sunglasses. I pushed so hard that I did in fact throw up. Twice. 

And you somehow still managed to beat me

Adam, the real question is - did you win the sunglasses?

2015-03-24 8:36 AM

User image

Originally posted by Snewo Check-in: Workout 1 for the week is in the books. 1600 meter swim. It was a good strong day in the pool. Heart Rate Monitors I realize that I said that counting my laps swimming was something I wanted, but after reading some of the comments, I'm starting to think the HRM will provide more of a benefit running and cycling when I'm first starting out. Given that, would something like this make more sense for a beginner? http://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/hr.htmlI already carry my phone with me all the time when I run, for the GPS function. Strapping this thing on beforehand would be NBD. Are there downsides that I'm not considering? Alan I'll have to take a look at those books. Thanks.

I'm skeptical of the two higher end models of the tickr because they seem just a tad gimmicky. But the basic HRM strap tickr is all you need if you have a phone. With Bluetooth and ANT+ it will pair up with whatever head unit you choose to use. If down the road you decide to get a Garmin, it'll send HR to that too. I currently use Garmin's proprietary HRM and Spd/Cad sensor but if I could go back now, I would buy wahoo for the Bluetooth capability. 

2015-03-24 8:39 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

In Chicago, we got 4" of snow today.  Wet, sloppy, horrible snow.

In other news today, FTP test #2 of the year, yielding five new PRs on Trainer Road and 260w 20min power, for an FTP of 247, which is up ~23w from a month ago, and a gain of 10%.  Luckily, I'm still waiting for the first FTP test that actually does make me throw up - which also means I'm probably leaving a few watts on the table.

I also had a second-round interview today for a job that I really, really want - and now that I know more, I want it even more.  I have a phone interview tomorrow with their NY department head as well, so we'll see what happens.

Nice work! 10% gain is pretty significant. I've never felt like puking after the 20min test but I definitely have for the 5 minute test. And last year 2 days before IM, I was in the IM village and they computrainers set up so people could compete in a simulated ride to win a pair of sunglasses. I pushed so hard that I did in fact throw up. Twice. 

And you somehow still managed to beat me

Dammit man! It's Alan!. lol. 

And no, I didn't. I had the best time and then one of the pros came along and beat me by 3 seconds without even breaking a sweat. What does he need free glasses for? He's probably got a sponsorship deal.. :P

2015-03-24 8:47 AM

User image

Originally posted by Qua17 Topics to consider - 1) They were playing the Beatles at the gym this morning. I've always believed the Stones were the better band... After listening to Paul and John belt out hit after hit, I'm considering the topic again. Question - who is the better band and why? 2) With BDASers ramping up their training, one topic I'd like to cover is nutrition. There is a lot of stuff I would like to dig into (so to speak) but could we talk about post workout nutrition? What do y'all do to refill your tanks and build up those muscles?

I'll start with the more important question:

I've always been a fan of the Beatles. They do something more with their music that the Stones just can't seem to grasp. That being said, Gimme Shelter and Sympathy for the Devil are up there in my favourite Rock songs of all time. 

Nutrition

Generally I go with a scoop of whey isolate protein and a banana for workouts of 1-1.5 hrs. If it's a longer workout or very high intensity, I'll make myself a meal. One thing that I've overhauled completely with respect to food is my preconceived notions about when to eat certain meals. I no longer necessarily make dinner the biggest most important meal. If I do a big 2.5-3 hour ride in the morning, I'll eat 'dinner' in the morning within an hour after the ride. Sometimes, If I've burned enough calories, I'll eat two 'dinners' in one day. Post workout food is super important especially if you do morning workouts. It can be the difference between feeling good in the late afternoon/evening and feeling like a zombie. 

2015-03-24 9:03 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Originally posted by Snewo Question for the Masses Before I head out for tonight's swim I wanted to ask about some tech gear. [...]..Any suggestions?

I highly recommend training with HR. In fact, I'm of the opinion that if you're not training with at least HR, don't even bother getting out of bed (I'm being cheeky of course). I use the 310xt. [...]

As far as HR training goes, it will completely change how you think about your training. It allows you to pace better on both the run and bike. It also allows you to quantify your training and see improvements in performance. It has its downsides. Namely its variability (HR is affected my temperature, fatigue, diet, hydration etc) so it's a 'ballpark' metric. But it is SIGNIFICANTLY better than no metrics at all. It's also a good stepping stone to using power (for the bike), which is the pinnacle of training metrics. Now that I have power, I don't really even care about my HR on the bike. HR is still a cornerstone of my run training though and it always will be. 

Everything you need to know about training with HR can be found in Joe Friel's training bible (either the Tri bible or the Cycling one) and of course anything beyond that or if you need clarification, BDAS has more than the requisite knowledge to get you on the right track.

Everything Adam said is spot-on.  Garmin Connect and Training Peaks have almost three years of my training data, and those objective measures yield so much more to training.  Personally, I used a powermeter, speed and cadence sensors, GPS, heart rate, and running footpod to track, well, everything . . .

For recommendations, the first stop is the Tech Gospel According to Ray, DC Rainmaker's website.  Your wishlist includes pretty much everything that is trackable.

For me personally, I use a Garmin 910xt for most of  my workouts.  On the bike, I use a Garmin Edge 800 that I got on the cheap when the 810 came out, since it has navigation and is easier to read on the fly, and doesn't make me look like a trigeek when riding with the group.  For running, I also have a Garmin footpod, since with a proper calibration, it's 95% accurate indoors on the treadmill (it doesn't quite figure out walk breaks; it reports walks as slower than normal) and it gives run cadence data.  I also use the 910xt for swimming, where it is also about 95% accurate for stroke tracking.  I also have a Garmin Vivofit activity tracker for steps and sleep.  You can also program workout alerts (i.e., "Warumup 10 minutes", "Run 2min at X HR or Y pace", "recovery Z") with surprising depth.

My recommendation would be to buy a 920xt and be done with it.  Yes, it is $450.  But, it does everything my 910xt does, plus it does everything my Vivofit does, plus it has bluetooth and wifi connectivity (it'll display your texts on your wrist while you run).  Also, it is actually a useable as a watch, which the Vivofit (no backlight) and the 910xt (no "standby" watchmode) sorta fail at.  

But if you add up a Vivofit ($80) plus a Garmin Swim ($150) plus a 310xt ($150), you're spending close to the same amount, getting the same basic functionality, and still missing features.  

If you're only going to buy one thing, get a TICKR or TICKR run.  It is probably the better HR strap, since it has Bluetooth and ANT+ broadcasting, and that's a good place to start before dropping down a lot of money, since it will talk to the apps you already run on your phone.  Personally, I don't run with my phone on, but that's just me preference.  

My wife and I both have 910xts, and mine's been through over two years of training with a major problem.  Rather, I'm on my second, since the altimeter stopped working and Garmin sent me a new one (a 4 mile run didn't have 100,000 fee of elevation change).

I don't think an Edge unit is necessary on the bike, but I like mine for the navigation (I tend to ride a lot in Wisconsin and away from home, so programming a course helps) and it's just easier to read.  I ran both the 910xt and the Edge 800 at IMWI.

If/when my job situation finally shakes out, I'm going to buy a 920xt and that should be the end of it for me.

That is, until something newer and shinier comes out . . .

2015-03-24 9:12 AM
in reply to: GeauxHard

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Originally posted by GeauxHard Going to be ordering a trainer here very soon, anybody have experience with repairs on Cycleops trainers? The guy who sold me the bike has a fluid 2 that is missing the lockig skewer..told me he would sell it to me really cheap if I could get it fixed...

My Cycleops Fluid 2 has over 250 hours on it and I have had zero problems with it.  It does tick a little bit until it's warmed up, and Cycleops offered to replace it, but I never did both to pack it up when they sent me the RMA.  That was 18 months ago.

What do you mean by "lockring skewer"?  A training skewer is $10, and I think I have like 5 of them sitting around.  If it is the quick release handle, you can probably get a piece of threaded rod or a long carriage bolt from Home Depot to fix it for $2 or less.  If it's the retaining lock nut on the non-QR mounting side of the trainer, a $4 nut from Home Depot should also fix it.  Also, Cycleops will probably sell you whatever is needed to fix it, that is, if they don't just give it to you for free.  Their warranty service if fantastic.

2015-03-24 9:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Originally posted by Burd [ What plan are you following on TrainerRoad? I want to get up my power and don't push myself hard enough when I'm outside. When I was on the trainer I felt like I got so much more out of it. I have a long way to get to 247 since I'm sitting at an FTP of 212. Well that was over a month ago when I first got the trainer. Much work to be done....

I don't particularly like the TrainerRoad plans (too long of an interval between recovery weeks) but they do have some great workouts for developing FTP. Look for any that include 12-20minute intervals of sweet spot work (88-92% of FTP roughly). 

I'm using the HIM plan, high volume.  I like TR because it's cheap, and really just the "follow the bouncing ball" display lets me focus and keeps me on track.  Tuesday are typically short intervals at >110% FTP, Thursdays are longer intervals (3-5 x 8-20min at ~90% FTP), Fridays are recovery workouts, and Saturday and Sunday are monsters like 7x20min at 90%.  I usually try to ride outside on the weekends, or with the group, if only to avoid that kind of suffering (like McKinley:  "Following 5x1-minute efforts at 120% FTP with 1-minute recoveries between each, you'll face 2 hours at 75-90% FTP with no full rest."  Or Pendleton "7x20-minute intervals at 88-94% FTP wtih brief, 3-minute recoveries between intervals.").  

2015-03-24 9:21 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

[I'm using the HIM plan, high volume.  I like TR because it's cheap, and really just the "follow the bouncing ball" display lets me focus and keeps me on track.  Tuesday are typically short intervals at >110% FTP, Thursdays are longer intervals (3-5 x 8-20min at ~90% FTP), Fridays are recovery workouts, and Saturday and Sunday are monsters like 7x20min at 90%.  I usually try to ride outside on the weekends, or with the group, if only to avoid that kind of suffering (like McKinley:  "Following 5x1-minute efforts at 120% FTP with 1-minute recoveries between each, you'll face 2 hours at 75-90% FTP with no full rest."  Or Pendleton "7x20-minute intervals at 88-94% FTP wtih brief, 3-minute recoveries between intervals.").  

Pendleton is the devil. I've done it a few times and it wrecks me every time. But I get an amazing adaptation from it. 

2015-03-24 9:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Originally posted by Qua17 Topics to consider - 1) They were playing the Beatles at the gym this morning. I've always believed the Stones were the better band... After listening to Paul and John belt out hit after hit, I'm considering the topic again. Question - who is the better band and why? 2) With BDASers ramping up their training, one topic I'd like to cover is nutrition. There is a lot of stuff I would like to dig into (so to speak) but could we talk about post workout nutrition? What do y'all do to refill your tanks and build up those muscles?

I'll start with the more important question:

I've always been a fan of the Beatles. They do something more with their music that the Stones just can't seem to grasp. That being said, Gimme Shelter and Sympathy for the Devil are up there in my favourite Rock songs of all time. 

Nutrition

Generally I go with a scoop of whey isolate protein and a banana for workouts of 1-1.5 hrs. If it's a longer workout or very high intensity, I'll make myself a meal. One thing that I've overhauled completely with respect to food is my preconceived notions about when to eat certain meals. I no longer necessarily make dinner the biggest most important meal. If I do a big 2.5-3 hour ride in the morning, I'll eat 'dinner' in the morning within an hour after the ride. Sometimes, If I've burned enough calories, I'll eat two 'dinners' in one day. Post workout food is super important especially if you do morning workouts. It can be the difference between feeling good in the late afternoon/evening and feeling like a zombie. 

I think I'm just going to quote ALAN from here on out  

Fat Free Chocolate milk:  1c 8oz, 140cal, 2.5g fat, 8g of protein.  

Chocolate whey isoloate: 130cal, 1g fat, 30g protein.  I mix it with 2c of water, otherwise it's too thick.  The macro ratios of whey (and especially whey isolate, which is more expensive but better) just destroy most other foods.  I use the cheap stuff (Bodyfortress isolate, from Walmart, $22 for 25 servings) but the Optimum Nutrition stuff tastes even better.

Also, the most protein you can effectively absorb is ~30g per meal.  So, a post-work scoop of whey isolate gives you everything you need and nothing you don't.

For me, protein is what matters, the the rest of my nutrition just falls into place.  I try to avoid fat, but not to excess - just to avoid the excess fat (i.e., 1t of oil to stir fry, or using a quick spritz of cooking spray instead of a tablespoon of butter).  Carbs are easy to find and happen automatically in most diets.

Also, the answer is Nirvana.  Followed by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.  And then the Stones, and then the Beetles.  The Beetles, like Elvis, were in the right place at the right time, and even if they didn't do what they did, someone else would have filled the void - they were the product of an already-existing cultural revolution.  In the UK and the US, the children of the "greatest generation" from WWII were looking for a voice, and someone found it.  The Beetles did great things and wrote great music, but they were riding the wave, not creating it.  The Stones arose largely to continue on where the Beetles left off musically, bringing something new to the mainstream, and then doing the same thing for decades.  

Nirvana didn't ride a wave - they started it.  They gave a voice to the post-80s excess, to the rejection of the malls and suburban sprawl of the Generation Xers and millennial who were given everything from their parents and grandparents - crushing debt, largely-bloodless cold wars, second and third mortgages, board games where the objective is to run up credit cards, and a life where serving the crushing corporate machine was the pinnacle of society.

The RHCP get mentioned simply because they have been riding and adapting to cultural and musical waves for over thirty years, while still rocking and while staying together.  

2015-03-24 10:25 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Dammit man! It's Alan!. lol. 

And no, I didn't. I had the best time and then one of the pros came along and beat me by 3 seconds without even breaking a sweat. What does he need free glasses for? He's probably got a sponsorship deal.. :P

Not sure if I quoted all this right, but this made me DIE at work just now!

Edited by nicole14e 2015-03-24 10:26 AM

2015-03-24 10:37 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Originally posted by Snewo

Heart Rate Monitors I realize that I said that counting my laps swimming was something I wanted, but after reading some of the comments, I'm starting to think the HRM will provide more of a benefit running and cycling when I'm first starting out. Given that, would something like this make more sense for a beginner? http://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/hr.html

I already carry my phone with me all the time when I run, for the GPS function. Strapping this thing on beforehand would be NBD. Are there downsides that I'm not considering?

This is very similar to the Pear unit I'm using. It's been great for me and so far in my tri-newb state I haven't needed an upgrade. I want them though There are cheap lap counters you can get for swimming that go on your finger, that are easy to click. Never used one but it's a low risk option to try, I think they're $20 or less.

Downsides (for ANY bluetooth unit) - they've become popular. If you're training by yourself, it's great. If you're at the gym at a popular time, or at a race - someone in bluetooth distance of your phone will be using one. I would have thought the device would have a 'unique' signature to the signal but at least with my Pear it does not, so if other people around you are using one, the app tells me it can't figure out which one to use. And worse, if you go somewhere and link it and it's picking it up, then get to the crowded start line - it quits on you. A multispot GPS watch like the Garmins and Polars solves this, it's self-sufficient and doesn't need to find your phone or an app to work.
2015-03-24 10:42 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hi everyone!

I have been off the grid a few days. A couple things to catch up:

Dave - My PT didn't really say anything about icing, but I have been icing after runs when it is sore. Definitely should've iced last night after my volleyball matches!

Justin - Congrats on your first run of the year! It's always nice to get back out there after being cooped up inside!

DQ - How's your back feeling?!

Update on me:

Shoulder - My shoulder is feeling really good. Still sore, but I am able to sleep without pain and have made it a couple days without taking meds, or taking them way later than usual. I woke up this morning with no pain and it took me a little while to realize it! PT has been going well. We did the Stim for the first time (this page kind of describes what she's doing...http://astym.com/Patients/AstymWorks). It HURTS haha but after she is done my shoulder feels really loose. I've been doing exercises and she also puts kinesio tape on my shoulder to hold it in the correct position.

Workouts - Running and Volleyball is my focus right now. Saturday I ran to the volleyball courts with my friend (almost 4 miles at 9:15 pace). Felt pretty good throughout, although too out of breath to really talk, which means I was probably pushing harder than I should've been. After that, played 9 games of beach volleyball...so great. Shoulder felt good although I wasn't swinging very hard most of the time.
Had another run yesterday. 4 miles at 8:47 pace. Felt really good to really push, and I'm excited to do some intervals this week. Played 6 games of indoor vball last night, and felt pretty good again. I hope to start swimming again this weekend and see how it feels!

Weight - I've gained a bit over the past couple weeks and was hovering around 155-156. I'm getting back into a groove this week though and hope to be down to 153 at least by Sunday. Hopefully I am not tempted by greasy delicious food!
2015-03-24 10:47 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

That is damn pretty... I was thinking the other day about upgrading to a new bike (I was having this thought while out on a ride - which is a little like thinking of another woman while in the sack with your wife )... Anyway - I decided that once I had logged 10K on my Trek 3.1 - I would get a better bike. QR is something that I drool over. Just look at those lines.

Not sure how close your Trek is to 10k, or how soon you want to start looking... But if you don't have a QR dealer closer to you, Spark BRS in Raynham is highly recommended. It's more than a half hour away from us, and we have LBSs much closer to us, but Spark is where we go for pretty much everything other than random bits like tubes or whatever. That's where I got my used Trek, it's where my wife got all her fit done, it's where we're going shopping for her new bike... They've been fantastic. Her seat in particular, she went through 4 or 5 before settling on one, including a few that went home that she tried out on longer rides.
2015-03-24 10:53 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Woke up this morning and hopped into the car to get in my swim and aqua job and as I sat down in my seat - I tweaked something in my upper back. The pain was pretty good and I gave serious consideration to bailing. When I got to the gym - I was able to warm it up in the shower - and managed to get a shorted swim in.... Jesus - I have no idea what I did and it feels better now with some advil but these are not the things I need to be dealing with.

In better news - as you guys probably know by now - Bell's Two Hearted Ale is my favorite beer. Unfortunately - you can't get it here in MA. So, on the way home from her cruise - my wife stopped and bought me some. I had asked for a case but she showed up with two. Am I a lucky man or what!

Onward!

Sorry bout the back! I do this stuff all the time, it's a sad by product of being a stressed out desk jockey for the last 16 years.

YES on the beer!!!! I love it as well. I think I mentioned my most recent home brew is a clone of it. I know it won't be the same, but I'm really excited for it. I bottled it over the weekend, a couple more weeks and it'll be ready to drink. I tasted it pre-bottling (warm, no carbonation) and even that was delicious- I could see it being a good candidate for cask conditioning. You know if I had a cask....
2015-03-24 1:22 PM

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Well my weekend was going decent until this morning...

Got a good ride and run in yesterday, trainer comes in tomorrow, with a combination of TrainingPeaks and custom plans here on BT I think I've got s good plan in place for my first race 5/31..

Woke up this morning..with the onset of a headcold....was supposed to have a ride and swim scheduled for today, and with as much as I want to do them...I think I may stay in today, load up on the vitamin C and fluids, and see if I can kick it to the curb before it gets worse. I guess 1 day down is better than a week down..

2015-03-24 4:18 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hi All!

One last post before I leave for Egypt! I'll be thinking of you all while I'm training over there, but likely not posting too much. The internet is very spotty where I am, so I may not be around much until the end of April. Training will be runs only--on a stretch of road in front of the house. It is 2/3mi long and I just have to run laps in the area the house guards can see. Boring, but it gets the job done.

Good luck to everyone on their races and training over the next month!!!
2015-03-24 4:23 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

DeLand, Florida
Gretchen - safe travels and good luck with the training while in Egypt! See ya around here when ya get back
2015-03-24 4:24 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Originally posted by GeauxHard
Woke up this morning..with the onset of a headcold....was supposed to have a ride and swim scheduled for today, and with as much as I want to do them...I think I may stay in today, load up on the vitamin C and fluids, and see if I can kick it to the curb before it gets worse. I guess 1 day down is better than a week down..

Totally on board with the get better plan - kick it now while you can! Hope you get well soon.
2015-03-24 5:18 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Safe travels!

I finally have a moment and at least catch up with the last page of the thread. Wow this is an active group this year! Great discussions on gear and nutrition.

The last few weekends I've made it out on my new SUP (Stand Up Paddleboard) as cross-training and acting as "paddle support" for the local open water swimming group. The first trip on the water had perfect conditions, smooth as glass. Second trip on the water there was a little bit of wind and chop on the water, giving me an extra workout trying to keep my balance.

2015-03-24 7:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

Topics to consider -

1) They were playing the Beatles at the gym this morning. I've always believed the Stones were the better band... After listening to Paul and John belt out hit after hit, I'm considering the topic again. Question - who is the better band and why?

2) With BDASers ramping up their training, one topic I'd like to cover is nutrition. There is a lot of stuff I would like to dig into (so to speak) but could we talk about post workout nutrition? What do y'all do to refill your tanks and build up those muscles?

These are good topics!

1) Stones- but it's hard to articulate why. Because I like more of their songs? But this is a great party question.

2) Right now, it's a smoothie with frozen banana, almond milk, and some knockoff PB2 from Costco. Man is it delicious. Dairy tends to step up my mucus production which is why I avoid chocolate milk, esp around seasonal allergy time.

2015-03-24 8:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Hi All!

One last post before I leave for Egypt! I'll be thinking of you all while I'm training over there, but likely not posting too much. The internet is very spotty where I am, so I may not be around much until the end of April. Training will be runs only--on a stretch of road in front of the house. It is 2/3mi long and I just have to run laps in the area the house guards can see. Boring, but it gets the job done.

Good luck to everyone on their races and training over the next month!!!

Have a safe trip! That is some determination (to get your workouts in). Good for you!
2015-03-24 8:13 PM

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania

Topics to consider -

1) They were playing the Beatles at the gym this morning. I've always believed the Stones were the better band... After listening to Paul and John belt out hit after hit, I'm considering the topic again. Question - who is the better band and why?

Here's my take on it.

Mick is a frontman, but not an awesome singer. The Beatles were better singers, but none of them were great frontmen. If you want to see a good show with decent music....go see the Stones. If you want to hear great singing with a decent show....listen to the Beatles.

The more modern version of the Stones would be Van Halen. David Lee is a showman....but not a great singer.

Some people love guitarists, some people love the drummers, Tool fans may love bass. For whatever reason, I focus in on the vocals. For the most part, I can listen to any music with good vocals, but without that...the song is missing something. That would be why I avoid rap & gutteral death metal unless it's only a song accent (like Stone Sour or Linkin Park tend to do)
2015-03-24 8:32 PM

Colorado Springs, Colorado
So I took it kind of easy today..

Loaded up on vitamin C and nasal expectorant, got rid of a lot of the crud in my sinuses.

After discovering yesterday that my favorite goggles were pretty much unusable, I ran to a dedicated swimming gear store here in town, luckily they had a pair, and they significantly cheaper than online , going to try and hit the pool tomorrow morning. Also ran to my LBS to just look around, ended up leaving with a Profile design Aero HC hydration system, got it home and went to mount it on my bike..but then I got OCD and ended up cleaning my bike..she was a lot dirtier than I thought originally..now she's shining. Hydration mounted up pretty solid, haven't had a chance to drink from it yet, but I think I might like it mounted there. I got rid of the cage on my down tube, and I'm looking to maybe throw an XLAB wing behind my seat, it's a larger system but I like being able to store a flat kit inside of it and out of the way.

Going to be bringing the bike into the shop sometime this week hopefully for a new set of tires, a chain and bar wrap, and possibly a fitting and new saddle if budget allows.
2015-03-24 8:44 PM

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Check-in: Workout 2 for the week. Slow taper run. 3.1 miles Even though I'm treating this race as nothing other than practice, I want to go through the entire workout/taper routine that I plan to use for the Half next month. What you folks don't know is that I didn't these plans fully for my last 2 Halves so I want to do the right things for the first time.

Nutrition For better or worse, I don't really focus on the post workout nutrition, I tend to focus on the pre workout nutrition. I want to make sure that I have the fuel to do the workout I have planned. For anything over a 5K I like to make sure that I'm fueled up and hydrated an hour before the run. That gives me time to digest. I also follow the same food plan for the day before and day of a race so as to not introduce...uh...bad variables.

I know people tweak their diet and control their protein and such, to me that is when you reach a certain level in your training. I need to take small bites of this triathlon pie. Taking it all at once can seem WAY too overwhelming. I think I'll take slow crazy steps and expand my running craziness into the heart rate monitoring....which can also be used for the cycling. See how I let the triathlon drug slowly spread?

Shirts OK folks. We're not going to hit the 24 shirt level it seems so GO BUY YOUR SHIRTS! http://shop.jakroo.com/storefront/BDAS

Beer I agree on the Bells Two Hearted. Good Beer!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54800 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.