BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-04-15 12:47 PM
in reply to: #5108245

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Congrats Alan! I've always wondered about the numbers too. I hear people in spin class talking about them.

2015-04-15 12:48 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Arlington, Virginia
It sounds like we need BDAS stickers!! This way everyone could put them on whatever waterbottle fits their bike, or just show some love on cars, notebooks, etc.

Sorry I've been so absent y'all, I've been struggling with some strange feelings of guilt around not being able to run. I've all but abandoned the bike, and I am getting to the pool 4-5 days a week. I am the worst injured person ever!!

The good news is my PF is minimal and definitely on it's way out. The less than good news is the reduction in PF pain allowed me to feel some nerve damage more clearly. I had been attributing it to general PF pain, but it turns out I have tarsal tunnel (who knew that was even a thing?!). My doc thinks it was triggered by bad shoes, so I'm going to be rocking my birkenstocks a lot more in the next month or two.

Definitely training towards the aqua/bike (or trying to get friends to relay with me) for the Nations Tri in DC in September. I can do the oly swim portion no sweat, but I'm not there with the bike yet. Anyone else dealing with fear of big bad hills? I have this mental image of having to walk my bike up a particularly nasty one by my house and it sticks in my head so much! Sometimes I forget how mental this stuff can be.
2015-04-15 12:56 PM
in reply to: #5108343

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great idea on the stickers Mel!

I have hill fear too. For me the only way to concor it is to go ride them- they are never as bad as I fear- but I spent plenty of time fearing them!
2015-04-15 2:31 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I agree on the stickers.

Also, getting to the pool 4-5 times a week does NOT constitute "the worsed injured person ever." You're still doing more than me and I'm not really injured anymore! haha

I second Kate, if you are afraid of the hill by your house, go ride it! If you don't conquer it the first time, you will at least have an idea of what you need to do to conquer it the next time Good luck and let us know how it goes!
2015-04-15 3:03 PM
in reply to: whichwayisdown

User image

Extreme Veteran
This hill was my nemesis last summer. I finally rode it once without putting down a foot. I want it to be a normal ride this summer...

http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/4359050

I have it in my sight (once the snow melts)...
2015-04-15 3:18 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida
You Coloradans and your unlimited access to all manner of outdoor goodness

2015-04-15 3:29 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by adempsey10

Originally posted by nicole14e

Woo. I've been upgraded to cat 3! Racing with the big boys now. 

I don't know what that means, but it sounds exciting!

Lol. There are 4 levels of bike racing (5 in the states). You get points by placing in races (higher the place = more points) once you get a certain number of points you can move up into a higher category. Sometimes, as in my case, even if you don't have enough points but show you can compete at a higher category you can request an upgrade. Because I came third in my first ever race, they let me move up. 

Nice!!! Congratulations!!!

My PT is Cat 3 here. He won the stage race in this area for his category - not this past fall but the fall of 2013. I am constantly picking his brain for information. His wife is quite the cyclist as well.
Do you by any chance know Bobby Bailey? He races in Quebec quite a bit and probably gets over to Ontario as well. He's one of the top racers here and happens to live right around the corner from me. I don't know him very well, but he was the one who rode up next to me on my third ever road bike ride about a year ago and started randomly chatting with me trying to get me into racing road bikes (I'm a bit too much of a novice right now).

2015-04-15 3:32 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by firebert

You Coloradans and your unlimited access to all manner of outdoor goodness

Hey- I was born and raised right down the street from you.

I gained my love for skiing at the mighty Nashoba Valley.

My love of Mtn biking and kayaking started in the woods and rivers around Amherst.

I actually have a real soft spot for Western Mass.

I keep telling Dave I'm coming back to swim laps in Walden Pond with him. I spent many a summer evening swimming laps there in high school and college.
2015-04-15 3:57 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Originally posted by aviatrix802  Nice!!! Congratulations!!! My PT is Cat 3 here. He won the stage race in this area for his category - not this past fall but the fall of 2013. I am constantly picking his brain for information. His wife is quite the cyclist as well. Do you by any chance know Bobby Bailey? He races in Quebec quite a bit and probably gets over to Ontario as well. He's one of the top racers here and happens to live right around the corner from me. I don't know him very well, but he was the one who rode up next to me on my third ever road bike ride about a year ago and started randomly chatting with me trying to get me into racing road bikes (I'm a bit too much of a novice right now).

I can't say I'm familiar with the name. I might come to know it though since I'll be living in Ottawa and doing some racing in Quebec.

Is that race the Green Mountain Stage Race? If so, I really want to do that one. I can't do it this year because it falls on the same day as the provincial criterium championships but maybe next year. 

You should get into bike racing. There needs to be more women in the sport. And it's fun as hell. 

2015-04-15 3:59 PM

User image

I like the idea of stickers. I'd get some of those but they'd have to be decent ones. A good vinyl decal would be best for durability. 

2015-04-15 4:29 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

New user
Madrid

I am sooo jealous. AC/DC awesome end to an awesome day! You will rock the HIM. What do you think of Chianti? My wife and I are partial to them.

Chianti is a nice wine, but from my humble opinion -not an expert, but enjoy what I drink- is like route 66 for us in Europe: a classic, but slightly overrated. Easy to drink, but for the same price you can find Barolo or Montepulciano, great italian wines at reasonable price (for me, 10 to 20 is max, 25 to 30 euros per bottle only for a celebration). Sometimes, I think I can get wine here cheaper than beer in US/Canada.

2015-04-15 4:30 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

New user
Madrid

mmmmmmmm.....jealous on all accounts....but you will have soooo earned it.
Juan, I need to drop some names of wines to you I get through a wine club I'm in. We get quite a few from Spain and I'm curious to see what you think of them.

Please do!! I will send you my comments on those that I know.
2015-04-15 4:31 PM

User image

New user
Madrid

Originally posted by Juancho Thor, Alan, thanks very much for the advice. Not that the cash is burning in my pocket, but HIM is approaching and wnat to reward myself with some nice gadget, although need to 'justify' it works. Aerobars are ready to be installed, helmet....no doubt will get it now. Wheels? Still thinking about it....

I've said it before and I'm saying it again now. I simply cannot recommend FLO wheels enough. They're fairly reasonably priced and they're some of the fastest wheels out there. Most wheelsets, particularly the chinese sets, are based on patent-free designs that are a number of years out of date in terms of technology. They often have a sharp V-shape or early toroidal shape to them. They look fast but they are actually aerodynamically inferior to wheels designed in-house by companies with the accountability to provide good products. FLO is run by two Canadians (out of Michigan I believe). They designed their own wheel shape based on tireless testing and computations. They also publish all of their aero data and specs, which is excessive to the layman purchaser, but if your wife happens to be an aerospace engineer (as mine is), she can use her big brain to verify the data. 

If you're going for a set of good aero TT wheels, the FLO 60/90 combo is where its at. And coming in at just over a grand for a pair, you can't go wrong. 

Thanks so much Alan, read your previous post and is one of my best options so far.
2015-04-15 4:32 PM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by Snewo

Juan I saw AC/DC in concert a few years ago. Angus may look like a sweaty version of Gollum from Lord of the Rings, but they sure rocked the place. Enjoy it!

Probably the best description of Angus I´ve ever read hahahahaaha!
2015-04-15 4:35 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by Moonrocket

Juan, you have to get the aero helmet! They just look cool ;-)

This is the problem, it looks SO COOL that it is difficult not to get it!!!!!
2015-04-15 4:38 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by nicole14e

Check in - My friend oversees the Shake Shacks (super delicious burger/milkshake place) in Baltimore and DC, and originally ran the one in Philly. He started something called Shack Track and Field, where the 2nd Tuesday of every month they do a run in every city there is a Shake Shack (3-5 mile run). It was kind of gross here last night and I had a friend visiting so we almost didn't go, but he called me and guilted me into it (the best kind of peer pressure!). At the end of the run, the first drink is on Shake Shack (I had an Exile Red Ale), but because this was the first run in Baltimore, we also got free burgers, fries, ice cream, and tshirts! All because I went for a 3 mile run! Totally negated any good I did in the run, but mannnnnn it was so delicious.

Nicole, Shake Shack run, sounds fun!! I´ve had their food in Abu Dhabi, delicious, but would have loved to be on that beer run.

Happy to see so many of you on Garmin Connect.

If water bottles project goes, I am in for a couple!

Juan

2015-04-15 5:32 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

flow wheels is selling tomorrow at 12 est. Looks like I am going to try to be near my computer and get a set of 60/90 for racing. Alan did you have to change brake pads or since it looks like the brake track is aluminum are you able to use your regular brakes?
2015-04-15 5:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
I need some advise from you bike gurus. I am buying a powermeter and have it narrowed down to the new Powertap chainrings or the Powertap hub. The cost is roughly the same so that's not an issue. The C1 rings won't be out until June +/- and I can get the hub now. Is there a downside to the hub or is it tried and true? Another positive would be I can put it in my Zipps and when I add a road bike to the stable just swap out wheels. My wheels are 10spd now so doing the hub would allow me to move to 11spd when the time comes. I guess I answered my own question on which one make more sense.

Any input on the PowerTap hubs? I would have to go with the G3 since my wheels are 20h and the GS is 24h only. I can't see the extra $500 for the ceramic bearings option.

Edited by Burd 2015-04-15 6:00 PM
2015-04-15 6:21 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Originally posted by Burd

I need some advise from you bike gurus. I am buying a powermeter and have it narrowed down to the new Powertap chainrings or the Powertap hub. The cost is roughly the same so that's not an issue. The C1 rings won't be out until June +/- and I can get the hub now. Is there a downside to the hub or is it tried and true? Another positive would be I can put it in my Zipps and when I add a road bike to the stable just swap out wheels. My wheels are 10spd now so doing the hub would allow me to move to 11spd when the time comes. I guess I answered my own question on which one make more sense.

Any input on the PowerTap hubs? I would have to go with the G3 since my wheels are 20h and the GS is 24h only. I can't see the extra $500 for the ceramic bearings option.

check out DC rainmakers reviews on the power meters. I like the idea of the hub, but I would need 3 (1 for race wheels, 1 for trainer tire, and one for outdoor rim) that makes it no cheaper than just doing vector pedals.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/
2015-04-15 7:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Originally posted by Burd I need some advise from you bike gurus. I am buying a powermeter and have it narrowed down to the new Powertap chainrings or the Powertap hub. The cost is roughly the same so that's not an issue. The C1 rings won't be out until June +/- and I can get the hub now. Is there a downside to the hub or is it tried and true? Another positive would be I can put it in my Zipps and when I add a road bike to the stable just swap out wheels. My wheels are 10spd now so doing the hub would allow me to move to 11spd when the time comes. I guess I answered my own question on which one make more sense. Any input on the PowerTap hubs? I would have to go with the G3 since my wheels are 20h and the GS is 24h only. I can't see the extra $500 for the ceramic bearings option.

Re-lacing an existing wheel seems a bit overboard.  I'm also not a fan of crank-based, since it usually commits you to a specific chainring size (i.e., standard, semi, or compact only).  

Is there a reason you aren't looking at Stages or 4iiii?

2015-04-15 7:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Originally posted by Burd I need some advise from you bike gurus. I am buying a powermeter and have it narrowed down to the new Powertap chainrings or the Powertap hub. The cost is roughly the same so that's not an issue. The C1 rings won't be out until June +/- and I can get the hub now. Is there a downside to the hub or is it tried and true? Another positive would be I can put it in my Zipps and when I add a road bike to the stable just swap out wheels. My wheels are 10spd now so doing the hub would allow me to move to 11spd when the time comes. I guess I answered my own question on which one make more sense. Any input on the PowerTap hubs? I would have to go with the G3 since my wheels are 20h and the GS is 24h only. I can't see the extra $500 for the ceramic bearings option.

Re-lacing an existing wheel seems a bit overboard.  I'm also not a fan of crank-based, since it usually commits you to a specific chainring size (i.e., standard, semi, or compact only).  

Is there a reason you aren't looking at Stages or 4iiii?

I did but I have carbon crank arms and neither system will work. I could do stages but would have to replace the entire crank. I found a Quarq Elsa new for $980 so that would be an option but more expensive than PowerTap. I like the idea of pedal based power but have Speedplays with the longer shaft since I had an issue with knee pain while using Shimano pedals. I know Vector is Look pedals but not sure the spindle is long enough. There is Brim Brothers for Speedplay cleats coming out soon but at $999 I could just get a Quarq which I feel would be more reliable since it's not worn on my shoe. The C1 is 110bcd only but can use compact or semi chainrings but a 36 small only, a 34 won't fit. I use a 50/34 now and was thinking of doing a 52/36 when it's time to replace and that would work with the C1. So with all of the options out there my choices are somewhat limited.

I could get my wheel re-laced for a decent price by my mechanic that specializes in building wheelsets which is the only reason I thought of that option.

Edited by Burd 2015-04-15 7:52 PM

2015-04-15 7:53 PM
in reply to: whichwayisdown

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by whichwayisdown

It sounds like we need BDAS stickers!! This way everyone could put them on whatever waterbottle fits their bike, or just show some love on cars, notebooks, etc.

Sorry I've been so absent y'all, I've been struggling with some strange feelings of guilt around not being able to run. I've all but abandoned the bike, and I am getting to the pool 4-5 days a week. I am the worst injured person ever!!

The good news is my PF is minimal and definitely on it's way out. The less than good news is the reduction in PF pain allowed me to feel some nerve damage more clearly. I had been attributing it to general PF pain, but it turns out I have tarsal tunnel (who knew that was even a thing?!). My doc thinks it was triggered by bad shoes, so I'm going to be rocking my birkenstocks a lot more in the next month or two.

Definitely training towards the aqua/bike (or trying to get friends to relay with me) for the Nations Tri in DC in September. I can do the oly swim portion no sweat, but I'm not there with the bike yet. Anyone else dealing with fear of big bad hills? I have this mental image of having to walk my bike up a particularly nasty one by my house and it sticks in my head so much! Sometimes I forget how mental this stuff can be.

Way to keep swimming!
I'm allll about the Birkenstocks. Last year my friend sent this thing from Glamour of like trends of the year, and they included a-line skirts, striped shirts and Birkenstocks, which is pretty much my summer uniform. I thought it was a joke but it wasn't!

Anyways, once you start riding that hill near your house you will probably be surprised at how quickly it becomes easy. When I was first doing serious biking, ages ago, I found hills killed me the first couple of times I was out and I had to walk a lot, but the muscles adapt very quickly.
2015-04-15 8:00 PM

User image

I'm with Chuck on this. Why not Stages? I've never used a power tap but I ruled it out when I was looking for a power meter because you're limited to one wheel set. For bike racing this might not be such a big deal because power isn't really that useful during a race. For triathlons, however, power is a key component for pacing yourself. So it's just as important to have power for a race as it is for training when it comes to Tris (which if you have a training and racing wheelsets you'd with need two power taps or sacrifice one, in which case, put the PM on the training wheels. Training with power is the most beneficial use of a PM). I don't like crank based because of the limitation of cranksets but stages is nice because it's relatively cheap and can be swapped out. If you have a shimano 105 crankset for example, if you decide to upgrade to ultegra or dura ace, you can still use the 105 stages with those cranks. It can also easily be swapped out for different bikes if you have a road and TT bike with the same crank. 

2015-04-15 8:01 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Originally posted by b2b14 flow wheels is selling tomorrow at 12 est. Looks like I am going to try to be near my computer and get a set of 60/90 for racing. Alan did you have to change brake pads or since it looks like the brake track is aluminum are you able to use your regular brakes?

Yea. Its an aluminum brake track so you don't have to swap pads. You might have to adjust your brakes though because the rim is a little wider. 

2015-04-15 8:18 PM
in reply to: Qua17

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Really great day today..

Was up bright and early at 9am..

Got gear together and hit the road.

Did some sprint intervals up on the levee, about 9 miles worth.. From there I hit the weights, triceps and chest today, then back home to change into my running clothes. Hit the lakes to do some 3min on 1 min off intervals at where I'm hoping will be near my race pace, made all but one interval, starting cramping pretty bad, popped a gel and some nuun. Finished right at 4 miles on the run, still had some life in me, so I got back on the bike and ride the route around the lakes a few times, some good technical work, and good solid intervals..so in total, just a hair over 30mi bike/4mi run/ and weights...

Not too shabby...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54690 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.