BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2015-02-08 3:10 PM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN)
Pam rip it up out there! Three marathons in 3 month is pretty intense.

Putting on weight happens way to easily and taking it off way too long. I totally eat more when I am stressed at work etc. And as a result have 20 pounds or so to drop myself. They need to make more foods that have less calories in them that taste good. It is like every food producer has stock in health insurance or something.

2015-02-08 3:15 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

Thanks everyone for the support. Its only been day 2 of training and already feeling better. Yesterday was a mile jog at a 12 min pace. Today was a 2 mile walk jog and a 10 min swim in the pool really just to get my feet wet and see where I am. I'm starting to explore swim groups in my area for OWS. After my experience I will never swim alone again! Lesson learned.
I also have my hyperthyroidism in control which very well could have contributed to my anxiety attack in the water. At the time I wasn't aware of my condition.
You are all such a inspiration to me
2015-02-08 4:24 PM
in reply to: mojo321

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
I am now a Marathon Maniac! Well not officially since I just sent them the registration email but at least the race is done. Steve, afraid I did NOT rip it up out there. A friend, who is the kindest person on the planet, was doing her 2nd marathon in 2 weeks (long story but briefly she was already signed up for the other one and then our town has an Extreme Challenge therefore this marathon was one of the 16 qualifications.) She wasn't sure how she was going to do and I offered to stay with her if she wanted company. Normally she is a 5 hour marathoner and so I thought that would be fine. We were slower and my finish time was my PW - about 5:26 or so. But my enjoyment time on the course was absolutely off the charts! First time I've ever not been "whole hog". Felt good to help my friend (esp since she really helped me 2 years ago) and smell the roses. And then when I crossed the line, another friend had balloons, wine, choc, and most specially, a Marathon Maniac visor for me. I put on the visor and several people clapped for me. I bowed to the crowd. Still haven't taken the visor off

Weight gain, ugh I hear you. I knew I gained some weight over TG and Christmas but I was ok with that. But then I doubled that weight gain in January. WTH....I was not happy. So I've been attempting to lose. I've incorporated two things to help me lose. First, I have a normal meal and then I have to wait an hour or longer before eating again and even then, I have to drink a full glass of water. And then, since I'm a binge eater at night, I simply go to bed if I want to eat at night. Gotten lots more sleep and I think, fingers crossed, I lost 2 pounds this week.
2015-02-09 12:27 AM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I am guessing that the hyperthyroidism was completely the cause for the panic attack. Very happy you figured that out.

Grats on the maniac status! Now you need to do the 50 marathons in 50 states or whatever it is.....
2015-02-09 12:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Yes, just putting off eating for an hour is helpful. Usually then I'm not even hungry. Water helped me too.

Carol, you probably know all about carbs and blood sugar, if you take less pasta or rice just load up on the veggies. A big plate of broccoli takes a while to get down and is filling.

Been doing the slow steady thing on the trainer for two weeks, when do I start doing minute intervals of higher cadence or harder gear?

Mitzi
2015-02-09 1:18 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
Funny you posted that CDA RR, Steve, because my back has been acting up since yesterday. I still managed to put in an hour on the trainer though. Hate it. I try to do so much to strengthen it, yoga on Wednesday, hiking on Sat. But I worked on my bike all weekend and my poor mechanics posture probably did me in. I am excited though, ended up smi-upgrading to Shimano Di2 Ultegra electronic shifting; only a semi-upgrade, because I replaced DA stuff. I only rode that one trainer ride so far but shifting is glorious.

Hello Craig, Michael, and Kelly. I gues it's time to update my profile:

NAME: Phil

STORY: I was a competition swimmer throughout grade school (even medaled in an international meet in Belgium) but went to college, did the college thing, and exercise stopped. By 2009, I went from about 165 lb my freshman year to 204 lbs. I hated running but quickly grew to like cycling, and I finished my first spring tri that year, with a race weight of 170. I've gone to appreciate running, though I'm still not any good and it's by far my worst discipline. I completed my first Oly in 2013, and completed my first half mary and HIM in 2014.

I'm 32 and I live and work in Alexandria, Virginia (5 miles from DC), with a background in mechanical engineering (so I love tinkering with bikes). I'm a chronic shopper so I always upgrade everything for no reason: bikes, computers, electronics, gadgets. "If it ain't broke, don't just settle because it can always be better."

FAMILY: I'm engaged and will be married in May this year at the Dominican Republic. We have a superathletic, energetic puppy that's 18 months old.

CURRENT TRAINING: I shoot for 15 hours/mo in the wintertime. Havent been in the pool since last year. Training goal for spring/summer is about 25-30 hours/mo. I play soccer 3 seasons of the year. I just mentioned I just started rock climbing. Also love snowboarding, tennis, basketball. Usually I join and compete with my local Masters swim team, but not currently. I go hiking and do yoga for recovery/recreation.

2015 RACES: It's tough to plan around the wedding, etc. but I had to defer 2 half marathons from last year due to soccer injuries, so I have those signed up for in May and Oct. Goal: under 2 hrs (I missed this goal by 2 minutes last year). Maybe do another HIM with a goal of 6 hrs (I missed this by 23 minutes, my running legs be damned). Maybe do a swim meet scheduled in April.

2014 RACES: First half marathon, Rock N Roll DC; first HIM, Patriot's Half Virginia.

WEIGHT: I've stayed around 175 all year. If I can get down to 165 for races, that would be nice. But I love ice cream. And sweets. And snacking.

2015-02-09 4:38 PM
in reply to: mojo321

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by mojo321
I also have my hyperthyroidism in control which very well could have contributed to my anxiety attack in the water. At the time I wasn't aware of my condition.
You are all such a inspiration to me

Kelly

You are not the only one having Anxiety. I currently have Gen. Anxiety dont know the reason why , i envy you since i know whats yours i prayed it was Hyperthyroidism since my TSH is low , but my T3 and T4 is normal, this meds mess up my sleep schedule. I got over my anxiety in water without any meds you will do just fine with practice. Good luck!!

Carlo
2015-02-10 8:56 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Lexington, South Carolina
Hi Everybody,

A little late getting started this year but I'd like to join this the group again if I could.

NAME: Anish, 39 y/o (soon hitting 40) from Columbia, South Carolina. I do have to travel a fair bit for work so balancing family with young kids and training has been the most challenging part of 2014. This year I would like get be better at doing, although I'm still trying to figure it out.

FAMILY: Married with a very supportive wife (beginner runner running) and two kids (2 and 5)

2014: 1 Half Marathon, 3 Sprint Triathlons and 1 Olympic Distance Triathlon and Beach to Battleship Half.

2015 Goals
4 Sprint Triathlons
1 Olympic Distance
Ironman Augusta 70.3 in September
Couple of half marathons

Overall goals -

1) Work on core strength and training
2) Try to my bike leg for the half iron distance to under 3 hours
3) Faster transitions.
4) Keep trying to graduate from a solid BOP to the MOP

Edited by sinnerman 2015-02-10 9:04 AM
2015-02-10 9:52 AM

User image

New user
Craig, Kelly and Sinnerman : welcome!

Jimmy : -22F!!!!!!

Michael : I hope you find what causes the pain while running. Do make sure your shoes and running form are good, I think they are the main culprits when it comes to calf problems.

David : this is great that you are volunteering at the race. Do you aim to do that race next year? I did volunteer for the 70.3 North American Championships in Tremblant last year (my first time volunteering at a race) and I almost lost my voice, I was shouting encouragements like crazy. What a fun day!

Pam : Congrats on the marathon!!! And so kind of you to do it with your friend, even if it got you a Personal Worst!

Carol : you went through a lot recently, don't beat yourself up too much. You had a lot to focus on (you still do), good luck with everything.

Carlo : glad you now know what is going on, and that appropriate treatment can follow. Congrats on pursuing training with such a great attitude.

Had a good training weekend considering, a nice run followed by an excellent yoga session on Friday morning (took the day off from work) before leaving for the weekend (funeral for my uncle on Saturday ). Got back late Saturday night, did a nice trainer ride on Sunday.

Hapy training everyone!
2015-02-10 2:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Yay my run fitness is finally coming back. Today was an 8 mile run at an 8:12 mpm overall pace which included 4x 1/2 mile repeats at pace: 6:57, 7:07, 7:00, 7:01 mpm. It has taken 3 months and 310 ish miles to get back in ok run shape. Must be getting old.... Oh well, beautiful day for a run, mid 50s with ice still on the puddles.

And a 3400 yard swim ugg tired.

Edited by Baowolf 2015-02-10 9:13 PM
2015-02-10 7:34 PM
in reply to: strykergt

Thanks Carlo,
Sorry to hear about your GAD. Yes it is very frustrating especially when you don't really know why. A low dose SSRI has helped me a lot and with depression/anxiety. It doesn't completely keep me symptomatic but it keeps me out of panic territory which is huge. Exercise is/has been the best treatment thus far. I'm anticipating that getting back into the open water will be some bit of a issue but I'm determined and will be having a plan for training again and race day. I'm glad you were able to get thru your challenges of the open water- stay strong and persevere!

Kelly

2015-02-10 7:41 PM
in reply to: sinnerman

Welcome Anish!

Training while balancing family and work is definitely a challenge of sorts. Just do the best you can with what you have to work with and never give up.
Kelly
2015-02-11 9:55 AM
in reply to: isabella969

User image

Oh dear... this is the worst bought of being sick I've had in quite some time. I'm now 1 week in and only just back in my office for work (I've been working from home) although I'm still fighting an evil cough and some nose issues... I feel like my fitness is lacking hugely. Is that natural? To feel a kind of guilt for not training?! haha

Hopefully, by this weekend, I should be back on the road clocking up some more miles again.

Oh and Isabella, yep! My whole reason for even undertaking Tri's this year and training was because I've had the gauntlet thrown down and challenged to do the Boulder IM 140.6 in 2016. Given that I couldn't swim a few weeks ago, didn't ride until a few weeks ago and only started running some months back, it was a big challenge! I'm now addicted to the training aspect of it though, and I'm certain that once I compete in my Olympic distance later this year, I'll be even more hooked :-)

2015-02-13 5:52 PM
in reply to: RookeyDavid

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Welcome back Phil and sinnerman. David, hope you feel better. Steve, nice, nice, nice speed.

I've been a bum this week. Work, catching up with friends, updating will, cold weather - I haven't been doing much. Hoping to go for a nice run this weekend if not too cold. Hope all have a great Valentines with loved ones.
2015-02-15 12:43 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Happy Sunday all! Hope training is going well.
I was able to bike outside yesterday in Colorado. Today it will snow. Wacko weather.
Pam, nice job on becoming a Marathon Maniac!!! Awesome!
2015-02-15 3:46 PM
in reply to: COgirl

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Hope everyone had a nice Valentines Day.

Today's run felt pretty good, not because it was super fast, but because it was paced well in the range In wanted it in and there was no drop off at the end. One way to look at your fitness / pacing is whether you die the last 3-4 miles of your long run. Here are my paces for the run (first mile always a warm-up): 10:16, 9:15, 8:54, 8:50, 9:04, 8:49, 9:01, 9:04, 9:08, 9:04, 9:02, 9:03, 9:03, 8:42. Hopefully IM marathon race pace is around 9:00 so pacing is pretty close. Although I hear that Texas can get warmish which can totally trash the run pacing.

2015-02-16 8:27 AM
in reply to: #5075206

User image

New user
Simpsonville, South Carolina
I had very good intentions this week, but this weather has really put a damper on things. The indoor triathlon was cancelled yesterday due to out foot of snow, and my running club has cancelled all of our recent runs due to -20 - degree temperatures. Strange to have both cold and snow, it's usually one or the other!

I did get a good hill workout last week and lots of cross training with snow shoveling and some rock climbing.
2015-02-17 8:35 AM

User image

Good job on the training everyone! This morning so far is off to a great start... first time swimming in a couple of weeks since being sick. I'm back on it full throttle today :-) A nice quick run with icy/snowy ground over lunch. I get to test out my Greeper laces too! Was my birthday last week and the wife bought me a nice Xterra wetsuit and some greeper quick laces. Awesome bits of kit!

It's good to be back...
2015-02-17 4:00 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by RookeyDavid Good job on the training everyone! This morning so far is off to a great start... first time swimming in a couple of weeks since being sick. I'm back on it full throttle today :-) A nice quick run with icy/snowy ground over lunch. I get to test out my Greeper laces too! Was my birthday last week and the wife bought me a nice Xterra wetsuit and some greeper quick laces. Awesome bits of kit! It's good to be back...

She must love you for sure!

2015-02-18 12:19 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Oh she does indeed! :-) I'm a lucky dude.

Also, does anyone have any tips for beating Hypoxia in the water? I'm starting to realize that the biggest issue I'm having now with breathing/bi-lateral breathing is oxygen debt... Apparently most people feel it in a Tri after about 200m, but ideally I'd like to start as I mean to go on so anything I can do now to help me get better I believe will help me dramatically in the long-run.

Any drills or advice would be great :-)

David
2015-02-18 12:50 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
David, not sure where you are on your swimming journey. I started from scratch as an adult learning to swim, did a number of sprint and Olympic distance tri's, and now I find it relaxing to swim freestyle....yes, even with bilateral breathing . My suggestions:

1. Don't get too hung up on bilateral vs. unilateral. Breathe when you need to. Bilateral can be learned once you are comfortable just breathing whichever side is best for you.

2. Find your "walking" pace while swimming. Your #1 goal is to learn to relax. Don't try to kill it with speed drills and such until you can swim a mile and feel that it was super easy on your cardiovascular system...as if you were just taking a walk in the water.

3. You may not be exhaling completely under water, and therefore not getting a good in breath. You should be breathing the entire time you swim, whether your mouth/nose is under water or above water. Hopefully only breathing out while under water though , ha!!!

Much more to swimming of course, and finding why you may be struggling with breath may also have to do with your balance in the water, and a kazillion other factors. I'll leave the rest to the experts...just sharing what helped me. Hope some of it helps!

2015-02-18 6:16 PM

User image

Hello fellow Triathletes.

Marcus is my name and I'm from Reno, Nevada.

I have big dreams, IM dreams, but for now, in this moment, I am working on unfinished business. In 2014 I signed up and suited up for the Donner Lake sprint Tri in Donner, CA. Poor training led to me to DNF via a ride on the dreaded "Jet Ski of Shame"!!!

I am committed to NEVER AGAIN !!! LOL

I have been training since Jan 11th and am starting to see some progress.

Currently I swim approx. 900-1000m 4 x week, Stationary bike cycle 9-10 miles 4 x week and Run 3 miles(10-11 min/mile pace) 3 x week.

I am doing some strength training as well, mostly upper body, and am working on converting my diet to whole food, plant based exclusively.

I am excited to be here and I look forward to absorbing all the info I can while perhaps inspire and or encourage the rest of you in your own athletic pursuits.

2015-02-18 7:48 PM
in reply to: never DNF again

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Hello all,

Last couple of weeks have been a little tough with weather. I am sure that my weather issues are nothing compared to others.

I went for a group bike ride this past weekend and really got my rear handed to me. I have got to spend more time in the saddle. I think after my half marathon in March, I am going to reduce my running and seriously increase my cycling milage.
2015-02-19 1:39 AM
in reply to: kmatt318

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Welcome Marcus. You are my closest neighbor to my south. Donner lake that must get nearly as warm as Tahoe.

Where is the HIM?
2015-02-19 9:19 AM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Carol - that actually really helps so thank you for your input! I've been scuba diving several times growing up, am fine with breast stroke and treading water, but have never been able to freestyle so earlier this year I got a coach and have a lesson every one to two weeks.

I'm definitely getting better with my drills and today I had a break through with positioning and body roll whilst breathing (under instruction of course), but I still get to the point where even just doing my "catch up" drills, I am oxygen starved after two laps! I guess it's just practice but it's a little disheartening...

The more I do it, the better I get :-) funny that!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 39

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Baowolf

Started by Baowolf
Views: 4 Posts: 1

2014-05-17 11:46 PM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.