BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2015-01-31 4:17 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: Jan Totals
January totals:

Swim: 4h 18m 45s - 10006.56 Yd (9150 meters)
Bike: 3h 25m
Run: 4h 10m 39s - 27.8 Mi

My totals are up almost infinity % because I barely moved in December! LOL No idea on distance for the bike, I just have an hourly total. I'd like to see my running total higher, but I think it will be for sure in February since I'm starting to add some longer, slower runs.

Pretty stoked about my swim workout this morning. My target distance for my Oly in August is 0.91 miles (~1465 meters). I set my sights on that distance this morning since I just missed it due to cramps last weekend. I ended up doing 1500 meters this morning in 36:07! That would equate to 35:16 for my Oly distance. When I first started thinking about the Oly, I looked at my sprint pace and tried to extrapolate what my time might be over such a long distance. Figuring there was no way I could keep up my sprint pace for the full distance, I put my goal time at 36:00. It's c-r-a-z-y for me to think that I've already surpassed that time in the pool and it's only January. I'm going to have to re-evaluate what's possible. I look at having more than 6 more months of training (and I'm only going to the pool once a week right now) and I have to think maybe 32:00 is possible?

Sorry, I really am not bragging. I know there are so many people out there that are better swimmers than I am. I'm just super excited with my workout in the pool this morning.

2015-01-31 5:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed

Originally posted by nrpoulin Just registerd for my first two races. Sampson County Super Sprint 3/28 and Granite Falls Sprint 4/19. Going to hold on registering for my May tri's until the price gets ready to go up. One of the races I am looking at is a Swim - Run - Bike - Run - Swim. Ocean water temps typically in mid 70's. Would anyone wear a wet suit? Just the first leg or both? Would think it very difficult to get back on Nate

Wear the wet suit for the first swim, not the second.  Your body will be nice and heated up by the second swim.  The cold water will feel good. (and mid 70's isn't that cold

2015-01-31 5:50 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Jan Totals

Originally posted by rjchilds8 January totals: Swim: 4h 18m 45s - 10006.56 Yd (9150 meters) Bike: 3h 25m Run: 4h 10m 39s - 27.8 Mi My totals are up almost infinity % because I barely moved in December! LOL No idea on distance for the bike, I just have an hourly total. I'd like to see my running total higher, but I think it will be for sure in February since I'm starting to add some longer, slower runs. Pretty stoked about my swim workout this morning. My target distance for my Oly in August is 0.91 miles (~1465 meters). I set my sights on that distance this morning since I just missed it due to cramps last weekend. I ended up doing 1500 meters this morning in 36:07! That would equate to 35:16 for my Oly distance. When I first started thinking about the Oly, I looked at my sprint pace and tried to extrapolate what my time might be over such a long distance. Figuring there was no way I could keep up my sprint pace for the full distance, I put my goal time at 36:00. It's c-r-a-z-y for me to think that I've already surpassed that time in the pool and it's only January. I'm going to have to re-evaluate what's possible. I look at having more than 6 more months of training (and I'm only going to the pool once a week right now) and I have to think maybe 32:00 is possible? Sorry, I really am not bragging. I know there are so many people out there that are better swimmers than I am. I'm just super excited with my workout in the pool this morning.

With 8 months to go of course 32 is possible!  Why not set a goal of 30:00?  That's a 2:00/100m.  You can get there.  Keep putting in 10,000 yards/month and you should be able to hold a 2:00 /100 pace.

2015-01-31 5:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Originally posted by rjchilds8

January totals:

My totals are up almost infinity % because I barely moved in December! LOL No idea on distance for the bike, I just have an hourly total. I'd like to see my running total higher, but I think it will be for sure in February since I'm starting to add some longer, slower runs.

Pretty stoked about my swim workout this morning. My target distance for my Oly in August is 0.91 miles (~1465 meters). I set my sights on that distance this morning since I just missed it due to cramps last weekend. I ended up doing 1500 meters this morning in 36:07! That would equate to 35:16 for my Oly distance. When I first started thinking about the Oly, I looked at my sprint pace and tried to extrapolate what my time might be over such a long distance. Figuring there was no way I could keep up my sprint pace for the full distance, I put my goal time at 36:00. It's c-r-a-z-y for me to think that I've already surpassed that time in the pool and it's only January. I'm going to have to re-evaluate what's possible. I look at having more than 6 more months of training (and I'm only going to the pool once a week right now) and I have to think maybe 32:00 is possible?

Sorry, I really am not bragging. I know there are so many people out there that are better swimmers than I am. I'm just super excited with my workout in the pool this morning.

Looks like a great start to your year! I usually don't keep track or really look at monthly totals, but since we're posting:

Swim 2h 41m - 6925 yd
Bike 12h 51m - 168 mi
Run 8h 29m - 33 mi (very light on the running due to calf injury)
Strength 3h (I thought I'd have more on this, but it is what it is)
Snow Boarding 8h (This can count, right??)

Enrique
2015-01-31 6:24 PM
in reply to: ecpasos

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

With a HM next weekend, I've had a run focus this month, but still not sure if it will be enough.

S: 18,427 yards

B: 181 miles

R: 84 miles

December was 19 miles running, January was 84..so much for the 10% rule.

2015-01-31 6:44 PM

User image

January totals:

Great work!

2015-01-31 8:35 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
S: 10,200 yards
B: 120.31 miles
R: 32.15 miles
XC Skiing: 35.12 miles
Strength: 44.5 hrs
Snow Shoveling: 3 hrs

Registered for a few more events: St. Paddy's Five (5-mile) Run and Superhero 5K Run in March; Bloomsday 12K Run in May (HUGE event!); and the Troika Sprint Tri at the end of May. I've never run 5 miles before, so the St. Paddy's Run will a challenge. Pretty sure I can run at least four miles, and if I end up walking the fifth, I'm OK with that. It's still six weeks off, though, and I'll continue to build my endurance.

I've been feeling even more beat up this month than usual. The physical therapy routine I do every day is pretty brutal, but it is helping. I've had some issues with my left shoulder that have cut back a bit on my weight lifting. February is going to be a pretty light month for me, comparatively. Since I'm having a medical procedure mid-month, I'm going to skip a pool pass and focus on running with some bike riding. And, of course, strength training. Snow's pretty much gone, so probably no more skiing this year.

By the way, if anyone is interested in Hoka One One running shoes, REI is having an online clearance sale. I picked up another pair as mine are starting to wear out and saved a third off regular price.
2015-01-31 8:42 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Foot cramps!
I decided to go with the wahoo speed and cadence sensor and hook it up with the iPad...but I got outside on the bike today and I do feel stronger as a result from the indoor trainer. This was the first outside ride that I was able to maintain a 17 mph which is my target ??. It us mentally challenging though to as you said keep going back for more on that trainer...but I realize that mental training is also a huge part of tri training
2015-02-01 2:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Originally posted by burner2
By the way, if anyone is interested in Hoka One One running shoes, REI is having an online clearance sale. I picked up another pair as mine are starting to wear out and saved a third off regular price.

So how do you like the Hoka's? I've read positive reviews. I've never worn a shoe like that (maximal)... not sure I would like it, but I'm thinking of trying them out next time I need some new shoes.... I hear they are relatively light and still have a ton of cushioning. And stability, responsiveness is supposedly good too?

Edited by ecpasos 2015-02-01 2:03 AM
2015-02-01 10:01 AM
in reply to: ecpasos

User image

Originally posted by ecpasos

Originally posted by burner2

So how do you like the Hoka's? I've read positive reviews. I've never worn a shoe like that (maximal)... not sure I would like it, but I'm thinking of trying them out next time I need some new shoes.... I hear they are relatively light and still have a ton of cushioning. And stability, responsiveness is supposedly good too?

I don't have a lot of experience with running shoes as my Hokas are really the only pair I've owned since high school and I'm pretty new to running. Since I don't have a lot of experience, I stopped by a store that specialized in running shoes last week just to check out other brands, and I didn't like anything there as much as I like my Hokas. The other shoes just didn't provide as much support and cushioning as I get from my Hokas. I get plantar faciitis pretty easily, so I look for something with good arch support, which Hokas have. I also have pretty bad arthritis in one knee and bursitis in both hips, so I really need the extra cushioning. To me, they seem to be very light and responsive. Plus, the no-tie shoelaces are really rad.
2015-02-01 2:04 PM
in reply to: doreb

User image

Originally posted by doreb

I decided to go with the wahoo speed and cadence sensor and hook it up with the iPad...but I got outside on the bike today and I do feel stronger as a result from the indoor trainer. This was the first outside ride that I was able to maintain a 17 mph which is my target ??. It us mentally challenging though to as you said keep going back for more on that trainer...but I realize that mental training is also a huge part of tri training

I think that's a good way to look at it. As much as I look at my training from a physical standpoint, I know that there is a mental toughness that also needs to be trained and cultivated. You have to have that mental strength to keep pushing forward when your body or your brain is asking you to stop. I think it's one of the big things that separates endurance sports from the more popular sports like baseball or football (or soccer). There's no halftime, there are no timeouts, and you can't get a substitute. So dig down deep and keep on truckin'!

2015-02-01 4:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by doreb I decided to go with the wahoo speed and cadence sensor and hook it up with the iPad...but I got outside on the bike today and I do feel stronger as a result from the indoor trainer. This was the first outside ride that I was able to maintain a 17 mph which is my target ??. It us mentally challenging though to as you said keep going back for more on that trainer...but I realize that mental training is also a huge part of tri training
I think that's a good way to look at it. As much as I look at my training from a physical standpoint, I know that there is a mental toughness that also needs to be trained and cultivated. You have to have that mental strength to keep pushing forward when your body or your brain is asking you to stop. I think it's one of the big things that separates endurance sports from the more popular sports like baseball or football (or soccer). There's no halftime, there are no timeouts, and you can't get a substitute. So dig down deep and keep on truckin'!

One foot in front of the other. Gets you to the finish every time!

2015-02-01 5:16 PM

User image

My beginning Jan was a little troublesome but I'm pleased I am keeping motivated: I'm not sure I've logged it all

Run 1.45h
Swim 1.5hour
Bike 46min

I'm trying to focus a little on the running more as it's been hard to run in the past.
Unfortunately I had a work trip to Singapore that was almost 3 days on a plane, 2.5 days in Singapore and it threw me.
I exercised when not jetlagged, did a little the day I got back on a plane. Then 17 hours of being cramped on a seat AND I COULD NOT WALK without extreme pain for a week (was it that delated muscle onset thingy?)

SO that was 2 weeks blown up. However, this is my first attempt to train.
I'm pleased I'm still motivated and trying v hard to ensure I'm training 5 days a week.
If my legs are OK tomorrow I'll be back cycling to work.
Feb will be better

2015-02-02 5:31 AM

User image

Originally posted by MariaRoberts

My beginning Jan was a little troublesome but I'm pleased I am keeping motivated: I'm not sure I've logged it all

Run 1.45h
Swim 1.5hour
Bike 46min

I'm trying to focus a little on the running more as it's been hard to run in the past.
Unfortunately I had a work trip to Singapore that was almost 3 days on a plane, 2.5 days in Singapore and it threw me.
I exercised when not jetlagged, did a little the day I got back on a plane. Then 17 hours of being cramped on a seat AND I COULD NOT WALK without extreme pain for a week (was it that delated muscle onset thingy?)

SO that was 2 weeks blown up. However, this is my first attempt to train.
I'm pleased I'm still motivated and trying v hard to ensure I'm training 5 days a week.
If my legs are OK tomorrow I'll be back cycling to work.
Feb will be better

You will be surprised how much you loosen up when you run with sore muscles. If your legs are bad juggle your workouts and do a swim with 20 minutes of stretching. Keep the motivation high!

If you feel injured take a couple of days off

Nate

Edited by nrpoulin 2015-02-02 9:52 AM
2015-02-02 9:53 AM

User image

New user
By far my best month training in a long time even though my running miles aren't where I'd like them to be, the winter is getting the best of me in that department. Still better than nothing though. Here are my totals:

Swim: 14784 yds - 8:15:38 hrs
Bike: 209.92 miles -11:32:32 hrs
Run: 43.96 miles -5:59:10
Str training 2:32:00 hrs

Seeing a lot of gains in the pool, hoping they transfer to open water come late spring. Bike, is still debate-able on any gains, time will tell. If nothing else, mental toughness is improving on the bike. Running, well that's my background and my favorite of the 3.5 disciplines and will get some more attention probably in March if the weather continues to give me issues. (motivational issues) Strength training is probably my least favorite and I'm gonna make sure I get those rotten workouts in this month. lol, I'm becoming a believer in the strength training.

Scott

Edited by scottjjmtri99 2015-02-02 11:42 AM
2015-02-02 12:24 PM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Scott, this is all great to hear.  Good feedback!  Hang in there on the bike trainer. You will see those gains when it gets a little warmer and you are out on the road.  I think you will be very surprised at your improvement when compared to where you left off last year.

2015-02-02 4:30 PM

User image

Thanks Nate, I will try, really hard in February.
2015-02-02 9:08 PM

User image

For me:

SWIM 7h 23m - 7350.00 Yd
BIKE 1h 57m 14s - 33.11 Mi
RUN 10h 31m 36s - 57.13 Mi

I've been concentrating more on swimming and running as they're easier to do with the weather and to be honest need more work at the moment. My runs have all been pretty slow as I'm trying to work on endurance. Hopefully once the weather picks up i'll be able to do more bike rides outside.

Brendan
2015-02-02 10:47 PM
in reply to: CircusBrendan

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
Swim: 0 yd
Bike: 86.7 mi (according to the computer, but these were trainer miles, so take with a grain of salt)
Run: 23.3 mi
Shoveling Snow: seemingly infinite

Run miles are low, but given that I didn't really do anything between when my son was born at the end of August and January, I'm satisfied. Very happy with the bike. I seem to have gotten into a regular groove on the trainer and managed raised my FTP when I retested last week. Now just need to keep the trainer momentum going while I work on making runs more regular again. And who knows, maybe I'll finally get back into the pool one of these days?
2015-02-03 8:42 AM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Originally posted by Fourteenkittens

Swim: 0 yd
Bike: 86.7 mi (according to the computer, but these were trainer miles, so take with a grain of salt)
Run: 23.3 mi
Shoveling Snow: seemingly infinite

Run miles are low, but given that I didn't really do anything between when my son was born at the end of August and January, I'm satisfied. Very happy with the bike. I seem to have gotten into a regular groove on the trainer and managed raised my FTP when I retested last week. Now just need to keep the trainer momentum going while I work on making runs more regular again. And who knows, maybe I'll finally get back into the pool one of these days?

We're in the same boat, Dennis. I'm in central MA and it has been brutal for the past week plus with all of the snow. Although I let my snow blower do most of the work, there is still plenty of shoveling to do! I guess I'm going to have to get one of those fat bikes so I can do some outdoor winter rides. LOL
2015-02-03 9:36 AM

User image

Our summer vacation plans changed and this has opened up the opportunity to do the Tiberman triathlon in NH in August. There are a few other New Englanders in this group (How about them Patriots!). Anyone interested. I registered today. They have two events a sprint and a half. I am not ready for a half yet so I will be doing the sprint on August 15th. Its thru Ironman so its twice as expensive as my other events.

Any takers?

Nate

2015-02-03 2:14 PM

User image

Originally posted by nrpoulin

Our summer vacation plans changed and this has opened up the opportunity to do the Tiberman triathlon in NH in August. There are a few other New Englanders in this group (How about them Patriots!). Anyone interested. I registered today. They have two events a sprint and a half. I am not ready for a half yet so I will be doing the sprint on August 15th. Its thru Ironman so its twice as expensive as my other events.

Any takers?

Nate

Probably not me. My "A" race is the weekend before that and it's an Oly. Normally I'd say that maybe I'd do it as a spur of the moment decision once I saw how I felt after my Oly. But at $125 for registration, that ain't happening! That seems very high for a sprint.
2015-02-04 6:58 AM
in reply to: #5075698

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
I'll probably pass on it, too. There are more local sprints in Eastern MA that time of year than I can fit into my schedule, so it's unlikely I'd make the trek up to NH and pay a higher entry fee. I've heard the half is a good race, but beyond my current training capacity.
2015-02-04 12:08 PM

User image

New information on the effectiveness of pickle juice as an electrolyte replacement: http://triathlon.competitor.com/2015/02/nutrition/fact-fallacy-pick...
2015-02-05 12:04 AM

User image

Subject: Longest run EVER!!
Woohoo! I just completed my LONGEST RUN EVER!!! tonight! I ran 4.48 miles in one hour on the treadmill. I've never run that far in my life! My goal was to run a steady, easy pace for 45 minutes, and then walk for 15 minutes to work toward building an hour of endurance for my upcoming 5-mile run (mid-March). I did the first part and managed a pretty good pace for 3.43 miles, and then reset the treadmill for 15 minutes. Well, I kept bumping up the speed until I was at a pretty good running pace again and finished the 15 minutes with another 1.05 miles under my belt.

I know I'm going to pay for it tomorrow, and that's OK. I'll take it easy for a couple of days and do a few shorter runs, but this has given me a big confidence boost. I'm hoping to run the 5-mile race in about an hour, and I think I'm in pretty good shape to hit my goal!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Rss Feed  

of 36

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29339 Posts: 460

2015-06-05 9:09 AM BlueBoy26

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.
date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.

date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?